Grant Morrison Wants To Write The Flash.

• 74 results
Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No it wasn't RIP was one of the most straightforward stories I've ever read.

RIP was most certainly not a "straightforward" story. But kudos to you... your mind apparently works on a much higher level than most.

Avatar image for thecowwasdelirious
thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This would be fantastic, but really confusing though. I mean, look at The Flash in JLA earth 2. He literally teleports the entire JLA to another dimension just by fucking running really fast! But it would be amazing

Skit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure Morrison has made enough money for DC for them to allow him to work on anything he wants. I really hope this ends up being a thing though, even if it's only a mini or a one shot.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis said:

No it wasn't RIP was one of the most straightforward stories I've ever read.

RIP was most certainly not a "straightforward" story. But kudos to you... your mind apparently works on a much higher level than most.

It wasn't straightforward but it wasn't hard to follow if you read the previous issues.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#55  Edited By Billy Batson

@veshark said:

Morrison has said that Flash was his favorite superhero growing up. I don't mind reading a Flash written by him, though when it comes to Morrison, my instinctual pick is to always put him on Superman. He's done Action Comics, All-Star, and of course JLA - but he's never been put on the main Superman title before. I'd break into uncontrollable tears of joy if he took over Superman.

Action Comics is the main Superman title?
BB

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

Morrison has said that Flash was his favorite superhero growing up. I don't mind reading a Flash written by him, though when it comes to Morrison, my instinctual pick is to always put him on Superman. He's done Action Comics, All-Star, and of course JLA - but he's never been put on the main Superman title before. I'd break into uncontrollable tears of joy if he took over Superman.

I'd put him on Batman again but I'm a little biased.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

Action Comics is the main Superman title?
BB

I don't follow. Is that a rhetorical or genuine question?

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@veshark said:

Well he's had such an extended run on Bats - a truly epic one - that I figured Supes could use the shine instead. Also, while I enjoy Morrison's Batman, I also feel like his writing elevates Superman to a level that very few Superman-writers can ever touch.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:
@rustyroy said:

@veshark said:

Well he's had such an extended run on Bats - a truly epic one - that I figured Supes could use the shine instead. Also, while I enjoy Morrison's Batman, I also feel like his writing elevates Superman to a level that very few Superman-writers can ever touch.

I feel the same about his Batman, few writers can write Batman like he does. Anyways I'd rather see him write Flash and GL instead of Batman and Superman.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Gracetrack

@rustyroy said:

It wasn't straightforward but it wasn't hard to follow if you read the previous issues.

Yep, I read the entire arc start to finish as it was being released. Greatly enjoyed it for the most part. But I found it hard to follow at times. I mostly chalk it up to Morrison getting a little too caught up with the self-referential and one too many double entendres. There were a little too many obscure Batman references at times, as well as too much ambiguity in the meaning of certain plot points and dialogue. Not to mention the jumping forward and backward again in time on certain pages and panels... All of these things contributed to a story that didn't need to be as convoluted as it was.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Veshark

When I referred to the book as the 'main Superman title', I thought it was fairly obvious what it meant. Whether or not you actually consider it the 'main' book per se, I was just using the term to describe Adjectiveless Superman.

@rustyroy said:
@veshark said:
@rustyroy said:

@veshark said:

I feel the same about his Batman, few writers can write Batman like he does. Anyways I'd rather see him write Flash and GL instead of Batman and Superman.

I'd love to see him take a crack at the New-52 JL. See if he can recapture the magic of the 90s run!

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for greatcaesarsghost
GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never been disappointed by Morrison. There's very few writers I can say that about.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

Yep, I read the entire arc start to finish as it was being released. Greatly enjoyed it for the most part. But I found it hard to follow at times. I mostly chalk it up to Morrison getting a little too caught up with the self-referential and one too many double entendres. There were a little too many obscure Batman references at times, as well as too much ambiguity in the meaning of certain plot points and dialogue. Not to mention the jumping forward and backward again in time on certain pages and panels... All of these things contributed to a story that didn't need to be as convoluted as it was.

I actually liked those things, specially the jumping forwards and backwards, its hard to follow at first but after you fully understand all these points and read it again then it looks really cool.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By RustyRoy

@veshark said:

When I referred to the book as the 'main Superman title', I thought it was fairly obvious what it meant. Whether or not you actually consider it the 'main' book per se, I was just using the term to describe Adjectiveless Superman.

@rustyroy said:
@veshark said:
@rustyroy said:

@veshark said:

I'd love to see him take a crack at the New-52 JL. See if he can recapture the magic of the 90s run!

Me too. He should'v rebooted the New 52 JL instead of Johns.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@omnicrono: Sorry I was going on a general rant there. I also agree Final Crisis was convoluted and disjointed though not RIP. My other pick for Morrison going too over the top would have to be Return of Bruce Wayne. That was confusing as hell. And agreed on your comments about Batman and Robin. That's what really got me into loving Dick Grayson and Damian Wayne as awesome characters with superb plots to boot.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Perhaps not as much as at the inception of the New-52, but Morrison's AC run didn't really have ties to the 'present-day era' of continuity. As in it wasn't affected by the current ongoings of the DCU, e.g. Forever Evil or Clark's relationship with Diana. I'd like to see what Morrison could do with that; though I'll admit, a large part of it also stems from the fact that Adjectiveless Superman has had a string of functional-though-mediocre writing throughout. Putting Morrison on Superman just seems like a win-win.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Gracetrack

@lvenger said:

Sorry I was going on a general rant there. I also agree Final Crisis was convoluted and disjointed though not RIP. My other pick for Morrison going too over the top would have to be Return of Bruce Wayne. That was confusing as hell. And agreed on your comments about Batman and Robin. That's what really got me into loving Dick Grayson and Damian Wayne as awesome characters with superb plots to boot.

No worries. :)

Part of my trouble reading RIP (at the time) might have been in getting it piecemeal... in single issues as they released every month... so it was a lot like trying to piece together a complex puzzle, with the pieces only coming out once a month, and then not remembering fully what happened in the prior months. Reading it as one collected edition (ie graphic novel) later on was quite a bit easier.

Yep, Return of Bruce Wayne was another one. I enjoyed the lofty concepts, but again his intentional ambiguity with certain characters and plots elements, as well as the time jumping between certain panels, pages and the converging plots made it a bit hard to enjoy on the first reading. Took me several readings before I could really appreciate it... or even just understand what the heck he meant at certain parts.

Netshyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Netshyster

@superguy1591 said:

Am I the only one who thinks Morrison is overrated?

Nope. Final Crisis, Flashpoint, and Batman R.I.P were awful IMO

Morrison writes his crap that's for sure, but when he hits his stride you don't think he's brilliant and unique?

Netshyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

It's an overrated assumption I'm already seeing by posters on here that Morrison's plots are convoluted. Stuff like his Justice League run and All Star Superman definitely have solid plots to follow as long as you're turned on to what Morrison is trying to do.

You're preaching to the choir here... I never said all his stuff is convoluted. It isn't.

I do think some of it has been pretty convoluted at times though (RIP and Final Crisis being two cases in point). That's just me. Some people disagree. In any case, I just wouldn't want him to go that route with Flash.

On the flip side, I loved his work on Batman and Robin... an example of some of his better writing, in my opinion. Lighthearted and fun, but still had a great plot that you could really sink your teeth into.

If Morrison's run had been Batman & Robin and Batman Incorporated the whole way through it would have been perfect.