Grant Morrison's Justice League?

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

So lately I've been watching 'Justice League' on Netflix lately and I want to start reading some of the actual comics. I thought I'd start with a volume or two of Morrison's run, but I have a few questions. First off; is it worth a read? I've really enjoyed what I've read of his work, but I know the quality of a writer's work can fluctuate so I thought I'd ask anyway.

Secondly; Is it a good place to start for someone who doesn't know much about the Justice League, really, other than that show, or should read up on some other books first?

Any help is appreciated. Sorry for any spelling mistakes as well.

Thanks for reading.

Skit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Skit

Morrison does his own thing for the most part when he writes, JL was no different. It's a pretty good run though and the whole greek gods thing is somewhat interesting. The only things you might not get/know are some of the villains like the martians,angels,etc. a quick search on the wiki wou;d quickly clear this up though. Also the new gods are involved for an arc but JLU covers them for the most part.

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JulieDC

Well the line up does come closest to the line up you see in the cartoons as well as the tone. I'm not even a Morrison fan but his JLA run is much better than other Justice League comics I've read (my least favorite being the 2006-2011 comics). You might have to look things up once in a while but that pretty much goes with most comics anyways. I'd go ahead and check out a story or two because no matter what any of us say, its always best to see for yourself.

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skit: The reason I asked was because I've notIced MorrIson often makes referances to older comIcs (I.e hIs Batman run) Thanks for clearIng that up, though. I thInk I'll go ahead and pIck up a volume, then.

Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juliedc: Thanks. I'll probably pIck up a volume sometIme next week.

Binski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Binski

Its really good especially rock of ages once you finish you can get tower of Babel by mark waid

Skit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Skit

@battle_forum_junkie: He does pay homage to Silver Age, but it's not really in a way that affects the story. Just kind of some fun references, well at least in his JLA run. Morrison like I said, doesn't really write with the intention of adding to the continuity, it's usually other writers that decide if it's canon or not. It's a fun run though and isn't too continuity heavy, so worth the read.

Edit: I just remembered that that was post Aquaman losing his hand, he has some slightly different powers compared to normal just so you know. Also Kyle's the Green Lantern instead of John or Hal.

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By TifaLockhart

Start with New World Order. IMO it was a fantastic run on JLA, the whole thing.

Also, he does a good job explaining who and what the characters are in New World Order cause for example Kyle hadn't met Wonder Woman yet.

Binski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman blue is in it and wonder womans mom is wonder woman as well