• 116 results
Posted by Binski (645 posts) 1 year, 3 months ago

Poll: Grant Morrison's Batman run or Geoff Johns' Green Lantern run (109 votes)

Grant Morrison's Batman and Son - Batman Inc pre 52 51%
Geoff John's Green Lantern Rebirth - Green Lantern pre 52 49%

I want to buy and read one of these collections but can only afford one at a time, so which first? I have Arkham Asylum graphic novel, new 52 Action Comics 1-19 and Batman Inc 1-10 and love all of it, and I have every new 52 Geoff Johns work and love all of it so I'm in a quandry. I'm basically leaving it up to the votes at this point because I cant decide.

#1 Edited by arnoldoaad (1007 posts) - - Show Bio

both are good but i would choose Green Lantern

#2 Edited by The_Tree (7234 posts) - - Show Bio

Morrison's Batman run. Arguably one of the best runs, if not, the best run on Batman. Just be sure that you don't mind having to think a bit while reading it, because it can sometimes get pretty complex.

#3 Posted by Saren (25312 posts) - - Show Bio

Morrison by far.

#4 Posted by Binski (645 posts) - - Show Bio

I was siding with Grant Morrison the more complex the better but simple yet awesome is always good as well.

#5 Posted by czechoslovakia (93 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually liked Morrison's JLA run more than his Batman run, so i voted Johns' GL

#6 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17330 posts) - - Show Bio

Morrison, No contest AT ALL..

#7 Posted by JediXMan (29619 posts) - - Show Bio

Morrison, easily.

#8 Posted by Billy Batson (57775 posts) - - Show Bio

Morrison's Batman run is the bigger critical darling and fan favorite.

It's been collected in fewer trades than Johns' GL too, IIRC.

BB

#9 Posted by mpierce2690 (316 posts) - - Show Bio

Johns on Green Lantern, and it's not remotely close.

#10 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17330 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a Joke right?

#11 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12562 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman

#12 Posted by TDK_1997 (14456 posts) - - Show Bio

Morrison's run on Batman of course.

#13 Posted by Lvenger (18381 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd recommend reading both but definitely go for Morrison's Batman first. It is a much more detailed, intricate story that is one of the best Batman runs to date.

#14 Posted by mpierce2690 (316 posts) - - Show Bio

@mpierce2690 said:

This is a Joke right?

Grant Morrison is so overrated, it's not even funny. The only Batman comics I liked by him, were when Dick Grayson was Batman. And even then, meh.

Johns crafted the story that made Green Lantern one of the best super-heroes in comics. I won't pretend that Johns was perfect, because he most definitely wasn't, but there's no question that the sum of Johns on Green Lantern was far greater than Morrison on Batman.

#15 Posted by consolemaster001 (4971 posts) - - Show Bio

#16 Posted by SavageDragon (2248 posts) - - Show Bio

GL.

#17 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17330 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull said:

@mpierce2690 said:

This is a Joke right?

Grant Morrison is so overrated, it's not even funny. The only Batman comics I liked by him, were when Dick Grayson was Batman. And even then, meh.

Johns crafted the story that made Green Lantern one of the best super-heroes in comics. I won't pretend that Johns was perfect, because he most definitely wasn't, but there's no question that the sum of Johns on Green Lantern was far greater than Morrison on Batman.

oh please.

#18 Edited by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Grant Morrison is so overrated, it's not even funny.

"This person is popular and I do not like him.

He must suck.

I am right.

Not them.

Me."

#19 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's see, on one hand you have a terribly generic space opera that pisses in the face of characters and continuity whenever the immature author dislikes something.

And on the other than you have the greatest superhero run of all time.

Morrison's run. Read it. Love it. Ignore Johns and the mentally challenged 11 year olds who like him, and just read Morrison.

#20 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17330 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's see, on one hand you have a terribly generic space opera that pisses in the face of characters and continuity whenever the immature author dislikes something.

Morrison's run. Read it. Love it. Ignore Johns and the mentally challenged 11 year olds who like him, and just read Morrison.

I was waiting when you'd comment :P

#21 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17330 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: Was my version of a Bat-Signal :P

as SOON as i read the title i knew that your emergence was inevitable :P, i mean, johns was compared to morrison, how could you resist ? :D

#23 Posted by Billy Batson (57775 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh, his Doom Patrol is better :p

BB

#24 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@fadetoblackbolt said:

Meh, his Doom Patrol is better :p

BB

Yeah, but it's hardly a "superhero" comic.

#25 Posted by Billy Batson (57775 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by RustyRoy (11076 posts) - - Show Bio

Morrison's run on Batman is the best one in comics for me.

#27 Posted by ColonelRunAway (369 posts) - - Show Bio

Johns' Green Lantern was the first DC series I read regularly. It's consistently been one of my most satisfying reads every month for more than half a decade now. There are literally hundreds of great comics I've loved over the years, old and new, which I may never have had the drive to read if not for my love of this book.

...But f*** dude, I'm not gonna pretend it's better than Morrison's Batman. Geoff's let plenty of plot threads go nowhere, or tricks like additional corps or the Guardians being evil which he keeps reusing until they lose all impact. Grant's constructed a well oiled machine full of countless truly original ideas and insights into the Caped Crusader's character, past present and future.

If anything, the only advantage that Green Lantern has is that most of the changes to the mythos seem to be permanent. Whereas we've already seen most plot points of Morrison's run getting ignored by the ten billion other Batman ongoings, except for Damian, and look what happened to him.

#28 Posted by mpierce2690 (316 posts) - - Show Bio

@mpierce2690 said:
@theacidskull said:

@mpierce2690 said:

This is a Joke right?

oh please.

Oh boy, you showed me. There's no denying that pre-Johns, Green Lantern was a second tier character. All of the Green Lanterns were. And now Green Lantern is a top three or four hero. Batman was awesome before Morrison. He was awesome after Morrison. And Morrison really didn't add anything to the character during his run besides Damian, whom he quickly killed off a few years later when he was finally good from Tomasi writing him.

@mpierce2690 said:

Grant Morrison is so overrated, it's not even funny.

"This person is popular and I do not like him.

He must suck.

I am right.

Not them.

Me."

Obviously, I'm not the only one that feels that way judging by the poll, and you'll find plenty of people who feel the same way on these forums. Over-complicated doesn't equal smart, most of the time it just means muddled and lack luster when all the build up goes... nowhere. That's really how I think most people see Morrison's work. I mean, people actually felt like picking up the Lobdell's Superman over Morrison's Action Comics because he did his usual acid trip writing and went all over the place. And Lobdell is kind of a disaster.

#29 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (4913 posts) - - Show Bio

Morrisons Xmen run was better than his Batman run in my opinion. His Batman run started strong but the latter half has been far from perfect.

#30 Edited by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Over-complicated doesn't equal smart, most of the time it just means muddled and lack luster when all the build up goes... nowhere. That's really how I think most people see Morrison's work. I mean, people actually felt like picking up the Lobdell's Superman over Morrison's Action Comics because he did his usual acid trip writing and went all over the place. And Lobdell is kind of a disaster.

"It is complex and difficult to understand and requires critical thinking so IT'S STUPID AND I HATE IT AND LOOK PEOPLE BOUGHT THIS THING INSTEAD O F THIS THING MORRISON SUCKS I SWEAR THIS IS HOW I SEE IT AND SO IT MUST BE TRUE BECAUSE MOST PEOPLE SEE IT THAT WAY BECAUSE I SAID SO"

#31 Posted by Chronus (1115 posts) - - Show Bio

Johns' Green Lantern run.

#32 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

The fact this is close really shows just how f*cking dumb Comicvine's userbase is.

#33 Edited by nightwingnerd (322 posts) - - Show Bio

Johns had all the huge story lines. But I love what Morrison did with Damian.

#34 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17330 posts) - - Show Bio

@mpierce2690: i don't see why i have to argue about it, Morrisons batman was one of the best runs i could have the pleasure of reading, jhons run was eh.

#35 Edited by Reignmaker (2232 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Batman and I love most of Morrison's work on the character outside of his Batman & Son - current run. The run itself just got too ridiculous for me. And as much as some people loved it as issues were coming out, I personally don't feel that Morrison is going to be remembered for his Batman work. Practically anything he worked on prior to that was better.

I haven't read Johns' Green Lantern run, but I've seen the effect that it's had on Hal Jordan's character and the fan readership. Batman never needed Morrison. He was strong before, and will continue to be after. Hal Jordan needed Geoff Johns. Johns brought legitimacy to Hal's character. And while I don't agree with some of the PIS Johns used to do that, the end result cannot be denied.

For those reasons, I voted for the Green Lantern run.

#36 Posted by RustyRoy (11076 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Batman and I love most of Morrison's work on the character outside of his Batman & Son run. The run itself just got too ridiculous for me. And as much as some people loved it as issues were coming out, I personally don't feel that Morrison is going to be remembered for his Batman work. Practically anything he worked on prior to that was better.

I haven't read Johns' Green Lantern run, but I've seen the effect that it's had on Hal Jordan's character and the fan readership. Batman never needed Morrison. He was strong before, and will continue to be after. Hal Jordan needed Geoff Johns. Johns brought legitimacy to Hal's character. And while I don't agree with some of the PIS Johns used to do that, the end result cannot be denied.

For those reasons, I voted for the Green Lantern run.

That doesn't make Johns run better than Morrison's. The fact that his run is considered one of the best in Batman's already rich history it has to count for something. Most people acknowledge his interpretation of the character to be the definitive version of Batman. Also first few years of Johns' run was significant, after Blackest Night his writing was nothing more than average.

#37 Posted by Reignmaker (2232 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

That doesn't make Johns run better than Morrison's. The fact that his run is considered one of the best in Batman's already rich history it has to count for something.

Perhaps. "Better" is subjective though. I personally didn't enjoy it, so obviously I feel differently.

@rustyroy said:

Most people acknowledge his interpretation of the character to be the definitive version of Batman.

Yeah, I don't think that's true. I think most people see Batman from the Bruce Timm Animated Series. And they hear Kevin Conroy's voice.

If you're talking strictly comics, then that honor goes to Dennis O'Neil. With an honorable mention to Frank Miller.

#38 Edited by RustyRoy (11076 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

That doesn't make Johns run better than Morrison's. The fact that his run is considered one of the best in Batman's already rich history it has to count for something.

Perhaps. "Better" is subjective though. I personally didn't enjoy it, so obviously I feel differently.

@rustyroy said:

Most people acknowledge his interpretation of the character to be the definitive version of Batman.

Yeah, I don't think that's true. I think most people see Batman from the Bruce Timm Animated Series. And they hear Kevin Conroy's voice.

If you're talking strictly comics, then that honor goes to Dennis O'Neil. With an honorable mention to Frank Miller.

So you voted the series you never read? Noting the fact that you said you loved atleast some of his storylines that doesn't make sense. And many people don't know about O'Neil's run. Morrison's interpretation of the character is considered the modern age Batman, of course Miller and O'neil's run helped to redefine the character but Morrison made him like he is today,without him it would have been incomplete. Ask any fan who is most influential writer in Batman's history and Morrison's name will come up more than once. Also Bruce Timm took inspiration from all the Batman runs Morrison's run being one of them, the JL/JLU version is heavily inspired by Morrison's. Also the Arkham games are inspired from Morrison comics of the same name. And if they ever make a JL movie, they have to make him like Morrison's Batman. Morrison's take on Batman is considered one of the most important comic book runs of all time (and far more important than Johns GL run in my opinion) and that's a fact. It has influenced many writers and will continue to do so.

#39 Posted by Binski (645 posts) - - Show Bio

A lot of good things being said about both works and the poll is pretty close I might just buy Batman and Son then Rebirth then Black Glove so on and so on

#40 Edited by Reignmaker (2232 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

So you voted the series you never read? Noting the fact that you said you loved atleast some of his storylines that doesn't make sense. And many people don't know about O'Neil's run. Morrison's interpretation of the character is considered the modern age Batman, of course Miller and O'neil's run helped to redefine the character but Morrison made him like he is today,without him it would have been incomplete. Ask any fan who is most influential writer in Batman's history and Morrison's name will come up more than once. Also Bruce Timm took inspiration from all the Batman runs Morrison's run being one of them, the JL/JLU version is heavily inspired by Morrison's. Also the Arkham games are inspired from Morrison comics of the same name. And if they ever make a JL movie, they have to make him like Morrison's Batman. Morrison's take on Batman is considered one of the most important comic book runs of all time (and far more important than Johns GL run in my opinion) and that's a fact. It has influenced many writers and will continue to do so.

Not saying Morrison hasn't written Batman well before. And I'm not saying that he can't write him. I'm saying that I didn't like his Batman run. If you can't comprehend the difference, I'm not going to spell it out for you.

You can continue to point to other critical opinions for validation, but like I said - I read it and didn't care for it. His run is a self-indulgent work. He committed the same sin as Tim Burton on Batman Returns. Morrison made the story more about "what crazy sh** can Morrison fit in this time?" and less about Batman.

Johns on the other hand brought a lackluster character back from irrelevancy and made him a tier one superhero again. As much as Johns bothers me, that's a pretty incredible feat - especially with a character as boring and unlikeable as Hal.

EDIT: And you grossly overestimate the influence of this particular Batman run over other mediums. Most of your examples have to do with other works of Morrison or a different creator entirely.

#41 Edited by RustyRoy (11076 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

Not saying Morrison hasn't written Batman well before. And I'm not saying that he can't write him. I'm saying that I didn't like his Batman run. If you can't comprehend the difference, I'm not going to spell it out for you.

You can continue to point to other critical opinions for validation, but like I said - I read it and didn't care for it. His run is a self-indulgent work. He committed the same sin as Tim Burton on Batman Returns. Morrison made the story more about "what crazy sh** can Morrison fit in this time?" and less about Batman.

Johns on the other hand brought a lackluster character back from irrelevancy and made him a tier one superhero again. As much as Johns bothers me, that's a pretty incredible feat - especially with a character as boring and unlikeable as Hal.

EDIT: And you grossly overestimate the influence of this particular Batman run over other mediums. Most of your examples have to do with other works of Morrison or a different creator entirely.

Then make yourself more clear next time, you did say you loved his run on the character outside Batman and Son. Clearly you and I see things differently, what you're stating as a sin is a blessing for me. Also what are talking about grossly overestimating Morrison's run, I said Timm took elements from all Batman runs, it wasn't based on just one writers interpretation, you really underestimate Morrison's work.

#42 Posted by RustyRoy (11076 posts) - - Show Bio

@reignmaker: I don't want to argue anymore, you are entitled to you own opinion. So I apologize.

#43 Posted by Reignmaker (2232 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

@reignmaker: I don't want to argue anymore, you are entitled to you own opinion. So I apologize.

There is nothing to apologize for. If someone disliked one of my favorite works, I'd have something to say also. And there's nothing wrong with that. But yeah, I guess we can agree to disagree.

#44 Posted by RustyRoy (11076 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

There is nothing to apologize for. If someone disliked one of my favorite works, I'd have something to say also. And there's nothing wrong with that. But yeah, I guess we can agree to disagree.

Yup, agreed.

#45 Edited by Binski (645 posts) - - Show Bio

well if it's 50/50 do I buy both or neither....yes that stupid comment was my sad attempt at bumping the thread up :(

#46 Posted by Hanson724 (553 posts) - - Show Bio

Green Lantern

#47 Edited by End_Boss (725 posts) - - Show Bio

Which hero gives you the biggest hard-on?

#48 Posted by JakeN7 (10891 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull said:

@mpierce2690 said:

This is a Joke right?

You're a real cynical POS aren't you?

#49 Posted by Mr_Holmes (49 posts) - - Show Bio
#50 Posted by modunhanul (403 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I'd choose Johns' GL.