• 58 results
#1 Posted by DocFatalis (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

And by dislike I mean hate:

-His behavior with women is an abomination and for decades he's tried to make us believe that being full of contempt for a half of humanity was actually cool.

-He once had and asian sidekick he called "Pieface"

-His imagination might be the worst of all GL: a big teddy bear or a giant spring seem to represent more or less his best creations.

-He's constantly lecturing others while he ended up becoming a murderer of universal proportions. The retcon after that can not disguise the truth.

-None, and I mean absolutely none of his lines are funny.

There's plenty more where it's coming from but I want to let the rest to other people who find this character irritating.

If you are a Hal Jordan lover, please, instead of attacking me, explain why you like him. Who knows, you might put something there that will help me find the GL series enjoyable.

#2 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@DocFatalis said:

If you are a Hal Jordan lover, please, instead of attacking me, explain why you like him. Who knows, you might put something there that will help me find the GL series enjoyable.

He's a lovable douchebag.

#3 Posted by DocFatalis (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jorgevy said:

@DocFatalis said:

I have heard this statement before, but if we put it the following way:

-would you let him around your sister?

-would you have a beer or twelve with him?

-would you go to see a movie with hime?

What do you think then, would you still find him lovable. I'm afraid he's only lovable when he's getting on the other's nerve.

#4 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12418 posts) - - Show Bio

@DocFatalis said:

-His behavior with women is an abomination and for decades he's tried to make us believe that being full of contempt for a half of humanity was actually cool.

What behavior with women is that? i cant actually recall any point where Hal has been disrespectful towards women as a whole. would you mind giving an example?

you mean that EVERYONE called Pieface. yes that means even Carol and such called him this. it was socially acceptable at the time. if you're going to condemn Hal for this than you would have to condemn everyone else as well.

-His imagination might be the worst of all GL: a big teddy bear or a giant spring seem to represent more or less his best creations.

i cant remember the last time he created any of those. I always liked his Pegasus. This seems to have been more or less rectified with the New 52 as well.

-He's constantly lecturing others while he ended up becoming a murderer of universal proportions. The retcon after that can not disguise the truth.

whether you like it or no or choose to accept it or not, in universal canon, Hal was possessed. he may not have been in the original story but he is in current continuity, therefore he will behave as such. Hal is not going to stay the way he was to just because you cant accept change. Batman has killed in previous continuities and Superman had incestuous feeling towards Supergirl, should we harp on these things as well?

Subjective, i for one rather enjoyed Hal's little internal monologue about Larfleeze and the Muppets. As for New 52 Hal, i haven't read anything with him.

There's plenty more where it's coming from but I want to let the rest to other people who find this character irritating.

#5 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jorgevy said:

I've never seen anything loveable about him.

#6 Posted by _Zombie_ (10302 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a douchebag. Reason enough for me.

#7 Posted by Strider92 (16032 posts) - - Show Bio

Whats with all the Jordan hate recently? I've noticed it in quite a few places. As I don't follow GL or JLA can someone fill me in on what he did to warrant this treatment lol?

#8 Posted by SmashBrawler (5433 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92 said:

Whats with all the Jordan hate recently? I've noticed it in quite a few places. As I don't follow GL or JLA can someone fill me in on what he did to warrant this treatment lol?

I've reading both GL and JL and I can tell you right away that I have no idea.

#9 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12418 posts) - - Show Bio

@DocFatalis said:

@Jorgevy said:

@DocFatalis said:

i have no sister. and all my female relative could definitely take care of themselves.

yes, that could be fu8$ing hilarious

-would you go to see a movie with him?

yes, why not? it s a movie, we'e going to be sitting in a theater being quiet most of the time.

What do you think then, would you still find him lovable. I'm afraid he's only lovable when he's getting on the other's nerve.

the same could be said about every person in existence.

#10 Posted by DocFatalis (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@DocFatalis said:

What behavior with women is that? i cant actually recall any point where Hal has been disrespectful towards women as a whole. would you mind giving an example?

you mean that EVERYONE called Pieface. yes that means even Carol and such called him this. it was socially acceptable at the time. if you're going to condemn Hal for this than you would have to condemn everyone else as well.

i cant remember the last time he created any of those. I always liked his Pegasus. This seems to have been more or less rectified with the New 52 as well.

whether you like it or no or choose to accept it or not, in universal canon, Hal was possessed. he may not have been in the original story but he is in current continuity, therefore he will behave as such. Hal is not going to stay the way he was to just because you cant accept change. Batman has killed in previous continuities and Superman had incestuous feeling towards Supergirl, should we harp on these things as well?

Subjective, i for one rather enjoyed Hal's little internal monologue about Larfleeze and the Muppets. As for New 52 Hal, i haven't read anything with him.

Behavior with women? I was thinking of instances like this one: http://luchins.com/dickery/Flash_1974_%23227_15.jpg

Pieface? From all the titles it just happened in this one and no, it's never been acceptable and never will be. Especially not for a hero.

Rectified? If it's been rectified it means it used to be the usual thing.

So he's just magically become good again? Well maybe but that's pretty weak and I have difficulties forgetting what I have witnessed in my youth and which seemed way more logical considering the arrogant personality of the character depicted.

I haven't read the story you mention about Superman, and after all she is only a cousin, so I'm not really shocked. In Batman's case, I have always thought that he should have killed the Joker a long time ago.

Subjective, I agree.

#11 Edited by Reignmaker (2226 posts) - - Show Bio

I approve of this thread.

If Kyle Rayner was given back the flagship Green Lantern book, I would buy it out of principle.

#12 Posted by Lvenger (17901 posts) - - Show Bio

@DocFatalis: The main thing that makes Hal appealing to me is his cocky, courageous, bold attitude and snarky comments. I do find his jokes funny but that's a matter of taste I suppose. And regarding the attitude, it's led to Hal in recent years stepping to the forefront and showing his authority amongst the superheroes and the GLC.

I started following Hal's adventures when the Sinestro Corps War started, through the introduction of the other Lantern Corps and then I picked up Blackest Night. Johns wrote an event where Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman weren't the big, authoritive leaders during the crisis. It was Hal and Barry who stepped up and made the big decisions to stop the Black Lantern Corps. Blackest Night remains one of my favourite events as it was that which made Hal an awesome character.

Afterwards I picked up Green Lantern when the New Guardians arc started through to the current New 52 issues and have loved almost all of them. Hal's confident, authoritative attitude has really come to the forefront in recent years. He was a driving force in stopping Parallax, in routing Parallax's influence from himself and Kyle defeating Sinestro during the Sinestro Corps War, in stopping the Black Lanterns during Blackest Night and in forming a splinter Justice League group after Final Crisis. Hal's confidence has led to him getting some character defining moments and this is why he's my 4th favourite superhero.

#13 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12418 posts) - - Show Bio

@DocFatalis said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@DocFatalis said:

Behavior with women? I was thinking of instances like this one: http://luchins.com/dickery/Flash_1974_%23227_15.jpg

Which issue is that from, i want to get the whole story.

Pieface? From all the titles it just happened in this one and no, it's never been acceptable and never will be. Especially not for a hero.

i didn't mean that it was, perhaps i phrased myself wrong.acceptable (what is actually right) and socially acceptable (what society lets people get away with) are 2 different things. The point is that this was a fault on the part of the writer who did not view the word as derogatory and as such had all the characters refer to him as such. Once GL was handed off to a more enlightened writer, we never saw that phrase used again.

Rectified? If it's been rectified it means it used to be the usual thing.

The construct simplicity is whats been rectified.

So he's just magically become good again? Well maybe but that's pretty weak and I have difficulties forgetting what I have witnessed in my youth and which seemed way more logical considering the arrogant personality of the character depicted.

yes, it is weak. but that's the way it is.

I haven't read the story you mention about Superman, and after all she is only a cousin, so I'm not really shocked. In Batman's case, I have always thought that he should have killed the Joker a long time ago.

What. The. Hell? What do you mean only a cousin? its still incest. shes still several decades younger than he is. how can you be shocked by l this stuff but not be shocked at the prospect of Superman wanting to make Kryptonian flipper babies with his teenage cousin?

Subjective, I agree.

Glad we could reach common ground on something

#14 Posted by Icarusflies (12408 posts) - - Show Bio

@DocFatalis: You should talk to about this. :)

#15 Posted by briangsharon (147 posts) - - Show Bio

The same reason somebody likes Stiffler from American Pie , or Bill & Ted , or Spicoli.

#16 Posted by DocFatalis (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

@briangsharon said:

The same reason somebody likes Stiffler from American Pie , or Bill & Ted , or Spicoli.

I've only heard the name of this movie or tv series, so I really don't know about those characters.

#17 Posted by TheThe (1729 posts) - - Show Bio

@_Zombie_ said:

He's a douchebag. Reason enough for me.

#18 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think trying to sway someone into hating a character is a very noble thing to do, if someone is curious about him they can pick up his comic or read Justice League and then make their own judgement. Also he has fans who are probably sick of this by now.

#19 Posted by Video_Martian (5631 posts) - - Show Bio

Hal Jordan is a douchebag, I hate him, he's the WORST Green Lantern ever, please just kill him off and give Kyle back his book already...

#20 Posted by JLDoom (2310 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he's OK

#21 Posted by SUNMAN (7139 posts) - - Show Bio

@DocFatalis said:

yeah I dislike Hal. Aside from all the qualities you mentioned he's always charging in head first and doesn't learn from his mistakes. Sure sometimes just charging in is cool, daring and bad@$$ but when you do it all the time your less of an 80's action hero and kind of a moron. Also the fact that he is supposedly the top Green Lantern just reflects badly on the es tof the core, cause I think all the other human Green Lanterns and half of the other GL's we've ben introduced to come off as better lantern.

I also think the rings are inherently flawed when choosing new Green Lantern's.

#22 Posted by The Stegman (22766 posts) - - Show Bio

I like him, second favorite Lantern besides Kyle.

#23 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19889 posts) - - Show Bio

He's alright. Not the best, but certainly not the worst. My favorites are Kyle Rayner and John Stewart (especially in Justice League/Justice League Unlimited).

#24 Posted by Juandicimo_Magnifico45 (151 posts) - - Show Bio

Hal Jordan has flaws, but isn't that what makes him interesting? He is a head-strong character and I really enjoy reading that.

@Lvenger said:

@DocFatalis: The main thing that makes Hal appealing to me is his cocky, courageous, bold attitude and snarky comments. I do find his jokes funny but that's a matter of taste I suppose. And regarding the attitude, it's led to Hal in recent years stepping to the forefront and showing his authority amongst the superheroes and the GLC.

I started following Hal's adventures when the Sinestro Corps War started, through the introduction of the other Lantern Corps and then I picked up Blackest Night. Johns wrote an event where Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman weren't the big, authoritive leaders during the crisis. It was Hal and Barry who stepped up and made the big decisions to stop the Black Lantern Corps. Blackest Night remains one of my favourite events as it was that which made Hal an awesome character.

Afterwards I picked up Green Lantern when the New Guardians arc started through to the current New 52 issues and have loved almost all of them. Hal's confident, authoritative attitude has really come to the forefront in recent years. He was a driving force in stopping Parallax, in routing Parallax's influence from himself and Kyle defeating Sinestro during the Sinestro Corps War, in stopping the Black Lanterns during Blackest Night and in forming a splinter Justice League group after Final Crisis. Hal's confidence has led to him getting some character defining moments and this is why he's my 4th favourite superhero.

I would have to agree completely. Hal Jordan really rose up to the challenge in Blackest Night.This showed how he has grown over the years as a character.

Personally, I don't see him as a "douchebag" at all. There are plenty other characters that share his personality that I consider much worse. Also, having a side-kick with a questionable nick name is hardly a reason to hate the character. The same goes for the way he treats women. It was a trait that was acceptable in the time period, that was dropped soon after.

I think the best time period to judge Hal is after his rebirth. Since than, he has proven to be a strong and interesting character to read. I for one love his character.

#25 Posted by Liberty (9192 posts) - - Show Bio

This has been done.  Check out my blog I think you will like it.

#26 Posted by MrShway88 (655 posts) - - Show Bio

I like him and every character has their flaws. If you don't like him then you don't like. But just because you don't like him doesn't mean anyone else doesn't either.

#27 Edited by Goldenboy_Prime (172 posts) - - Show Bio

@DocFatalis said:

Best thread I've seen since I've joined this website

#28 Posted by satyrgod (2115 posts) - - Show Bio

He's egotistical, chauvinistic and, well, not very bright... but he's so damn cute! Sure, I'd 'have a beer or twelve' with him. Then shots. And then back to my place. He'd spend the next several days hung over and trying hard to not remember why he's walking funny.

#29 Posted by Jade1977 (598 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, you hate Hal Jordan. But why do you have to post crap like this? let people make up their own minds.

#30 Posted by BlackWind (5363 posts) - - Show Bio

Hal's good points can be summed up as this: Maverick Ace.

And there's plenty of characters who do it better than him.

#31 Posted by Rumble Man (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

Tapping arisia before writers get politically correct with human (earth) standard age balance bullsh!t

#32 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@Juandicimo_Magnifico45 said:

I would have to agree completely. Hal Jordan really rose up to the challenge in Blackest Night.This showed how he has grown over the years as a character.

Hahahah. He didn't do a damn thing in Blackest Night. You could literally replace him with any other lantern and the outcome would be exactly the same.

#33 Posted by Lvenger (17901 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

Hahahah. He didn't do a damn thing in Blackest Night. You could literally replace him with any other lantern and the outcome would be exactly the same.

He did more than Kyle or John, the Lanterns you think are better than Hal. He organised the leaders of the other Lantern Corps against the Black Lanterns and he got the entity under control once Sinestro screwed things up. All in all I'd say Hal's role was far more important than Guy's, Kyle's and John's own contributions.

Hal Jordan has flaws, but isn't that what makes him interesting? He is a head-strong character and I really enjoy reading that.

@Lvenger said:

Personally, I don't see him as a "douchebag" at all. There are plenty other characters that share his personality that I consider much worse. Also, having a side-kick with a questionable nick name is hardly a reason to hate the character. The same goes for the way he treats women. It was a trait that was acceptable in the time period, that was dropped soon after.

I think the best time period to judge Hal is after his rebirth. Since than, he has proven to be a strong and interesting character to read. I for one love his character.

Completely agree with this post. The best judgement of Hal is after his rebirth where he's become a much more interesting character than he was before his fall from grace.

#34 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

He did more than Kyle or John, the Lanterns you think are better than Hal. He organised the leaders of the other Lantern Corps against the Black Lanterns and he got the entity under control once Sinestro screwed things up. All in all I'd say Hal's role was far more important than Guy's, Kyle's and John's own contributions.

Only because he was the main character. But put any other lantern in his shoes and they'd have done the same thing. The point is that nothing he did showed any growth of character or, hell, character in general on Hal's behalf. He went through the whole thing with the same dronish attitude he goes through everything. I think Sinestro Corps War was the last time Hal had an actual character moment. He's been on auto pilot ever since.

#35 Posted by DocFatalis (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

@Lvenger said:

Only because he was the main character. But put any other lantern in his shoes and they'd have done the same thing. The point is that nothing he did showed any growth of character or, hell, character in general on Hal's behalf. He went through the whole thing with the same dronish attitude he goes through everything. I think Sinestro Corps War was the last time Hal had an actual character moment. He's been on auto pilot ever since.

I don't remember Hal's part entirely in this part (I'll check again though) but I remember very well Guy and John fighting toe to toe with the enemy and even at one point bringing the reinforcements back to Earth.

The Battle of Mogo brought more heroic facts than anything I can remember from Hal. Gardner is the one I remember the best. It was the first time when I actually felt like encouraging him.

#36 Posted by Lvenger (17901 posts) - - Show Bio

@DocFatalis: You do realise this is subjective though don't you? Not trying to bring down your thread or anything but this line of thought applies to you and others who think like you. I have a major disdain towards Cyclops at the moment given his performence in AvX and his past actions but there are still going to be legions of Cyclops fans who come to his defense against me and try to argue that what he did was right. Just as Hal fans will explain why he is a great character.

#37 Posted by DocFatalis (1419 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: Sure, I understand perfectly, and as I said, people are totally free here to explain why they like Jordan. I just wanted to expose here some of the quite insufferable things belonging according to me to the very nature of this character.

Now I hope that this has changed a bit with the new 52 (I don't know because I haven't read anything from that line so far), I am never against a new good series or improvement in general.

#38 Posted by fodigg (6130 posts) - - Show Bio

What the OP describes actually sounds entertaining, meanwhile my biggest problem with Jordan is that he bores me. I liked him in DC: The New Frontier though, but then that's the book that made me actually find Barry Allen somewhat entertaining so it's kind of an exceptional series.

#39 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@DocFatalis said:

@Jorgevy said:

@DocFatalis said:

-would you go to see a movie with hime?

my sister is too young and I wouldn't even let my friends around my sister, let alone some fictional character

I dont drink alcohol but i would got out with him

yes i would go see a movie with him

basically, liking a character doesnt have to have anything to do with seeing him as a friend or a relatable person. Is Hal a dick? yes, and he'd be pretty obnoxious in RL but in the comics he is freaking awesome and that's where I like to see him

#40 Posted by Reignmaker (2226 posts) - - Show Bio

@Goldenboy_Prime said:

@DocFatalis said:

Best thread I've seen since I've joined this website

#41 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

If they make a good movie about Hal Jordan with a good actor everyone will like him. just look at Iron Man, people hated him before and after the movies everyone likes him

#42 Posted by name_already_chosen (81 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the Hal Jordan who existed before there was a Kyle Raynor -- the honest, decent human being who freely admitted to his flaws when called on them by Green Arrow or Black Canary and honestly made the effort to improve himself, never giving up no matter how often he stumbled along the way. Yes, that far back. And I think I will always be fond of that Hal Jordan.

The one that came back from the dead has had some good storylines over the years, but this more modern Hal Jordan is the least interesting of all those who wield the green. He's also self-righteous where he used to be modest, vindictive and cruel where he used to be compassionate and patient, and ill-tempered where he used to be disciplined and ethical. Since this modern Hal Jordan's return, I find myself missing Kyle Raynor, and John Stewart and Guy Gardner both look better by comparison.

So yes, I have very good reasons to like the Hal Jordan of several prior continuities (several different realities in the hyperstream?). Just not many reasons to like the Hal Jordans since then his return from death.

#43 Posted by quirky_anecdotes (344 posts) - - Show Bio

How about the fact that to this day the GL is pretty much the most racist book published by a mainstream company? Kilowog is a far more interesting and likable character then almost every "Main" GL yet he always plays second fiddle.

Seriously Who the hell wants to read about a bunch of plain old humans when the same group has Stel and Salaak.

It's like if instead of focusing on The Awesome Timelord in Doctor Who an entire series was dedicated to Billie's Mom and Harriet Jones,

Stel is a damn Alien Robot yet instead of him I'm reading about a retired marine and a graphic artist from north hollywood.

WTF?

#44 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12418 posts) - - Show Bio
Cant you just fell the racism oozing from this moment? Me neither.
#45 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

Hal is cool by me.

#46 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@Eternal19 said:

If they make a good movie about Hal Jordan with a good actor everyone will like him. just look at Iron Man, people hated him before and after the movies everyone likes him

#47 Posted by Superdork (917 posts) - - Show Bio

My biggest problem with Hal originally was that he had no personality (he was a Mary Sue) who was written by the Ultimate fanboy. Now he has a personality, so he's grown on me. Yes he's a douche. That means he's unlikable when poorly written, but that be be written likably too. Look at Iron Man, Guy Gardner, Damian Wayne, etc.

#48 Edited by lifeofvibe (3407 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

#49 Posted by lightsout (1821 posts) - - Show Bio

since it got bumped (doesn't CV have a rule against this though?)

(Aside from the original Ion arc), the only GL I've read is vol 4+ (aka: Geoff John's take on it, aka a handful of retcons) --- is most of the Hal hate based on pre-Johns GL?

#50 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4212 posts) - - Show Bio

since it got bumped (doesn't CV have a rule against this though?)

(Aside from the original Ion arc), the only GL I've read is vol 4+ (aka: Geoff John's take on it, aka a handful of retcons) --- is most of the Hal hate based on pre-Johns GL?

Most what is mentioned in the opening is directed a pre-johns.

I'll start by saying I like Hal, dude has his quirks, positive and negative traits, but it makes him a little more human sometimes when he flubs things up. I totally get that some people wont like some characters, that's cool. It's apparent to me that the user who wrote this thread already has his mind made up and most likely nothing will change it. I'm not trying to change his mind nor am I trying to change anyone else's. I just wanted to bring up some counterpoints and then go about my merry way.

I think the behavior towards women was a little bit a sign of the times but I could be wrong. Anyways, not all characters are perfect. Iron man was a heavy drinker at one point and Martian Manhunter had a legit Oreo problem lol.

Again I think somewhat a sign of the times. Other heroes than just Hal had racist and or insensitive side kicks. Bucky had Whitewash Jones. Wonder Woman had Etta Candy. The Spirit had Ebony White.

Each GL's constructs represent them in a way. Rayner's are fairly intricate and detailed while Stewart's tend to be a bit militaristic sometimes. Hal uses quite a few jets and simple stuff like you mentioned. No matter the knife it will cut.

Hal's hometown was destroyed, that's a pretty good reason to go beast mode.

Well "funny" is subjective and what isn't funny to you my make someone else's ribs split. Personally, I do find a little lacking in the humor but then again not all character's have that joke cracking personality.