#1 Posted by generator2000 (1151 posts) - - Show Bio

When I was growing up not too long ago, there were many cartoons, comic books and stories that I liked. As I have gotten older, my tastes have become a little more defined. While I still enjoy comics ( such as classic Captain America books, Classic Deathstroke Books, ETC), I have gotten into manga.

For a long time, I enjoyed Dragon Ball Z immensely, but I began to lose interest around the Android Saga and I almost completely lost it at the Cell Saga, and I thought the Majin Buu saga was OK, at best.

My biggest problem with it was the fact that everyone became too powerful and it became stupid.

I thought DBZ was overpowered, LOL. Sailor Moon can destroy whole galaxies. *facepalm*

I got into Naruto, I began to get into Bleach, Fist of the North Star is okay, I enjoyed Inuyasha immensely and I hate Ramna 1/2.

I want to read some more stuff, but everything appears to be garbage with overpowered characters and the popular ones that don't possess those arch-types typically look too weird and wacky for me (One Piece).

Honestly, what else is out there? I'm more familiar with comics ( i'm not too knowledgeable because of age) and prefer stories that may include powerful characters, not every character should be a wannabe Goku who can destroy galaxies.

Manga seems like a cock measuring contest where everyone wants to the biggest, but replace size with powerful characters.

#2 Edited by Dratini1331 (7040 posts) - - Show Bio

@generator2000: That's cause they're all part of the same genre of shounen action. It totally depends on hat you want from them. Are you alright with historical ones? Have you tried Vinland Saga, Vagabond, Samurai Champloo, or Gamaran?

#3 Posted by generator2000 (1151 posts) - - Show Bio

@dratini1331 I'm alright with historical ones. I have heard good things about Samurai Champloo actually. I'll try those then, thanks.

#4 Edited by Billy Batson (58209 posts) - - Show Bio

Try the works of Osamu Tezuka, Naoki Urasawa, Takehiko Inoue, Kazuo Koike/Goseki Kojima, Junji Ito and Taiyō Matsumoto.

Then there's Akira, Berserk, Blade of the Immortal, Mushishi, Nausicaa Vinland Saga, Wandering Son and Yotsuba&!.

BB

#5 Posted by Dratini1331 (7040 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Edited by Orician_Seis (491 posts) - - Show Bio

Eureka 7 is amazing. Code Geass is pretty good. Samurai Champloo is in my top 5 Darker than Black is also a good one.

#7 Posted by generator2000 (1151 posts) - - Show Bio

#8 Posted by Skit (2650 posts) - - Show Bio

You seem to have an emphasis on action so I'll try and stick to series more centric on that. I'm also going to separate the anime only series in case your set on manga exclusively.

Sun-ken Rock

Devilman (Satan being the only overpowered character)

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (some overpowered characters, but mostly a series about weird instead of powerful)

Parasyte

Feng Shen Ji(If you don't view Naruto or Bleach as overpowered)

Anime:

Watanabe and co's works, notably Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo and the woman called Fujiko Mine.

Ghost in the Shell- Movies and show

Baccano

Oh and in case you never read/watched it, the original Dragon Ball series.