#1 Edited by BullPR (670 posts) - - Show Bio

Hi,

I recently brought two of my kids to watch MoS. A lot has been said/written about this movie and that's not the point of my question.

Anyway, the movie was far far away from what I was expecting (and I should have gone with my wife like I did for TDK).

After watching the movie I was so upset that I wanted to share my frustration with everybody. And I arrived here, where I found a lot of people that actually enjoyed or even loved this movie.

Therefore my question:

-I stopped to read actively Marvel after the Onslaught saga (everybody died, good reason to stop, no?). Then I followed the main story arcs through the paperbacks and Hardcovers

-I stopped to read DC after Zero Hour and that's it. After MoS, I read Red Son and Kingdom Come. I LOVED both.

What other "complete stories" from the last 20 years would you recommend me read?

Thank you very much in advance,

BullPR

#2 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6131 posts) - - Show Bio

@bullpr: I absolutely loved Man of Steel, so my tastes are probably far different from yours. Good luck, though.

#3 Edited by BullPR (670 posts) - - Show Bio

@rulerofthisuniverse: Thanks. So no DC story in your mind that would be interesting to read, no equivalent to Chaos War, Feat Itself, Necrosha, Annihilation etc...?

#4 Posted by Billy Batson (57761 posts) - - Show Bio

All Star Superman, Batman Year 100 and New Frontier.

BB

#5 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Edited by BullPR (670 posts) - - Show Bio

@billy_batson: Just checked these titles. I will order them, thanks.

Anything more "cosmic" in your mind?

#8 Edited by BullPR (670 posts) - - Show Bio

@supreme_marvel: Don't tell me that you can hear my accent even when I'm typing!

(If yes, you would sound like my kids! :-) )

Concerning the topic, any Dc complete story that you would advice?

#9 Posted by sinestro_GL (3050 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by Billy Batson (57761 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by sinestro_GL (3050 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by Billy Batson (57761 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinestro_gl:

Thanks. I was reading Kirby's Fourth World stuff a while back. Going to get back to it soon.

You should check out Walt Simonson's Orion if you haven't. It's right up there with Kirby's stuff.

BB

#14 Posted by sinestro_GL (3050 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinestro_gl:

Thanks. I was reading Kirby's Fourth World stuff a while back. Going to get back to it soon.

You should check out Walt Simonson's Orion if you haven't. It's right up there with Kirby's stuff.

BB

It's funny that you should mention Simonson's Orion. I just received mine yesterday in the mail, and am going to start reading it today.

#15 Posted by Billy Batson (57761 posts) - - Show Bio

@billy_batson said:

@sinestro_gl:

BB

It's funny that you should mention Simonson's Orion. I just received mine yesterday in the mail, and am going to start reading it today.

The first (and only) trade or the whole series? The trade collects "weakest" the part of the run. It gets better after it.

BB

#16 Posted by sinestro_GL (3050 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinestro_gl said:

@billy_batson said:

@sinestro_gl:

BB

The first (and only) trade or the whole series? The trade collects "weakest" the part of the run. It gets better after it.

BB

Got the trade, and thanks, I'll keep that in mind as I'm reading it.

#17 Posted by Billy Batson (57761 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinestro_gl:

The issues are worth hunting down. Fantastic stuff.

BB

#18 Posted by longbowhunter (6765 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm currently reading the first volume of Madame Xanadu by Matt Wagner and Amy Reeder. It's so good, I'd definitely recommend it.

#19 Posted by TDK_1997 (14456 posts) - - Show Bio

Well if you want something more cosmic you should try DC's events like Infinite Crisis and Final Crisis or Marvel's Annihilation.I still haven't read the whole Annihilation but from what I hear and the place I am at it is pretty good.While I really enjoyed both Infinite and Final Crisis.

#20 Posted by BullPR (670 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997: Thanks, I'm quite up to date with Marvel publications. I read when they came out COIE and Zero hour, I should try the others, good idea.

@longbowhunter: Not sure this is what I'm looking for

#21 Posted by BullPR (670 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by TDK_1997 (14456 posts) - - Show Bio

@bullpr: What else are you interested in?

#23 Posted by BullPR (670 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997: well the main idea is that I'm totally outdated in DC and that could be a reason of my reaction in front of MoS...

#24 Posted by TDK_1997 (14456 posts) - - Show Bio

@bullpr: Well Superman is the same character as before but currently in the New 52 Johns writes him a little bit of hot headed.He acts pretty furiously and just forgets about being diplomatic.

#25 Posted by xxxddd (3572 posts) - - Show Bio

BB

All Star Superman was terrible.

@bullpr: Superman: For Tomorrow and New Krypton and Last of Krypton, Batman: Year One and Hush and Red Hood.

JLA: New World Order, American Dreams, WW3,

MAJOR CROSSOVERS: Final Crisis, Infinite Crisis, Blackest Night, Brighest Day

- All In that order

That's all I got for now.

#26 Edited by BullPR (670 posts) - - Show Bio

@xxxddd: Great!

That's plenty enough. Thank you to all!

#27 Posted by Billy Batson (57761 posts) - - Show Bio

@xxxddd said:

@billy_batson said:

BB

Ah, one of the very best Superman comics is terrible. Okay.

BB

#28 Edited by Saren (25280 posts) - - Show Bio

Who calls All Star Superman terrible and then recommends For Tomorrow?

#29 Edited by Billy Batson (57761 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't New Krypton worse?

BB

#30 Posted by Saren (25280 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizenbane said:

Isn't New Krypton worse?

BB

At least New Krypton didn't star the Emo of Steel.

#31 Posted by Squalleon (4143 posts) - - Show Bio

@xxxddd said:

@billy_batson said:

BB

@bullpr: Superman: For Tomorrow and New Krypton and Last of Krypton, Batman: Year One and Hush and Red Hood.

DON'T believe him Bullpr All star Superman is awesome.

Seriously it's considered one of the best super hero stories (not just superman stories.)

Also there are so many better stories than for tomorrow and new krypton.
http://www.comicvine.com/profile/squalleon/lists/superman-recommending-reading/40335 this is a superman recommended reading list i made.hope you like it :-)

#32 Posted by TDK_1997 (14456 posts) - - Show Bio

@xxxddd said:

@billy_batson said:

BB

Yeah,right.