Good comics for someone new to comics?

josephstalin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've been reading the Locke & Key series, and the walking dead, but have been wanting to branch out to other areas of comics. I've been looking into deadpool a bit, and that seems interesting. Any recommendations?

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@josephstalin: What kind of story do you want?

And should it be something new or is old stuff okay too?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Well, personally, I started reading comics with The Boys, Seven Soldiers of Victory, 52, and New Mutants. Out of all those I'd recommend reading 52 as a good jumping-on point.

deathstroke19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@squares: DID HE ASK YOU??????

Oh wait... He did... *shrugs* *leaves*

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 the_stegman  Moderator
waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By waezi2

@squares said:

Out of all those I'd recommend reading 52 as a good jumping-on point.

I concur.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

josephstalin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: I'm interested in super hero comics, as that's what my father used to read, and the pop culture behind them seems really cool. I'm also interested in the paranormal/horror genre, which is what I usually read from actual books. If there's anything else that I'd be missing out on, though, I'm open to other genres :)

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@josephstalin: Here is my list of ongoing titles.

My favorites:

• Aquaman
  • Green Arrow (start at Issue 17)
  • The Flash
  • Animal Man
  • Swamp Thing
  • Thor: God of Thunder
  • Scarlet Spider
  • Hawkeye
  • Invincible
  • Saga

All of them are pretty easy to jump into except Scarlet Spider and Invincible. Scarlet Spider you probably want some prior knowledge of Spider-Man before you read that.

And Invincible has like 105 issues and has been running for 10 years. Its a fantastic series and I recommend picking up a trade or two and see if you like it. But it would be costly to get caught up lol.

Otherwise any of the DC titles are pretty easy to jump into. They're all only have 25-30 issues including villains month titles. You don't need prior knowledge, just pick up issue 0 or 1 and try them out.

Saga, Thor and Hawkeye are all only like 15 issues in and are even easier to jump into. The first 12 issues or so of Thor were absolutely incredible. Hawkeye is just a fun comic.

And Saga especially is WONDERFUL! Probably the best comic right now.

josephstalin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By josephstalin

@fallschirmjager: You're saying that Thor and Hawkeye are only 15 issues in, but I know that Thor has been around a lot longer than 15 issues obviously, is this because they've been rebooted, they've started new story arcs, or what? I'm new to this kind of thing, haha.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@fallschirmjager: You're saying that Thor and Hawkeye are only 15 issues in, is this because they've been rebooted, they've started new story arcs, or what? I'm new to this kind of thing, haha.

No they aren't rebooted. Just relaunched.

Everything they've done in the past still counts, but its pretty easy to jump into a new volume without much past knowledge of them.

Generally speaking if you spend 5 minutes on a wiki page you can know anything the comic doesn't fill in for you.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Anything from Valaint is fantastic. They are the best publisher out there right now, so check their stuff out. Here are my recommendations:

• X-O Manowar (Valiant; read from issue 1; currently on issue 19) *My top 3 favorite books*
  • Harbinger (Valiant; read from issue 1; currently on issue 18)
  • Eternal Warrior (Valiant; haven't read this one yet but i've heard great things; start from issue 1; currently on issue 4)
  • Quantum & Woody (Valiant; from issue 1; currently on issue 5) *My top 3 favorite books*
  • Thor: God of Thunder (Marvel; from issue 1; currently on issue 15) *My top 3 favorite books*

And yes, characters like Thor have been around longer, but they relaunch several series every now and then to start at a fresh issue 1 for new readers like you. I don't think you should read the wiki pages much though because you will probably go read older books later on and reading the wikis kinda ruins the story quite a bit.

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've been reading the Locke & Key series, and the walking dead, but have been wanting to branch out to other areas of comics. I've been looking into deadpool a bit, and that seems interesting. Any recommendations?

I think you should read at least in your lifetime, The Sandman, Saga, Y:The Last Man, Invincible and East of West.