GL energy, quality vs quantity?

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

One thing that's always "bothered" me about GL is "strength of will" vs "amount of energy put into the construct/blast/etc". That is, the rings have roughly 24 earth hours worth of charge (when used a "normal" amount). Say it has 100 units of charge. If a GL were to make a wall-construct in front of himself to stop a blast, what would determine the strength of it?

Well, we'd have to know if the oncoming blast was singular or continuous. If it's singular: if the GL put "10 units" of energy into the wall, would it be that amount of energy or the "willpower/concentration" he had while making it? Is it even possible to make a stationary object that has more/less energy?(Like when Hal put chains on Superman in JL#2, would he have been able to put more energy into them (if he knew he needed to) so they wouldn't break, or is there just 1 "level" of energy GL put into constructs?) If it was continuous I'd just have to imagine he'd have to just keep pumping energy into it (perhaps it would take "willpower" to keep doing so, but I'd still say it's more dependent on how much energy he has left in the ring).

Also, this situation makes me curious to relationship between amount of GL energy & it's power: If we compare GL Kyle to (retcon) Ion Kyle, we know hosting Ion would mean Kyle wouldn't have to recharge, but if they both fired a single beam/blast, what would make Ion's more powerful? (Assuming here that it would be). Is it just that every action of his contains more total energy? (Every shield, every blast, etc etc). My guess is that that can be the only explanation - as if GL energy technically comes from Ion, why would his energy (being used by a "host" be different in nature than what all GLs are using?. (And even then, because it's because he can pump out more energy per second, since it's the same energy (ie: to have a shield formed in an instant - that's more powerful than non-Ion Kyle's, he have to put out more energy in that second). That, unless you have some extra source of power**, the real strength of a GL is the brain - the ability to strategize, think on the fly, & be creative in using the ring (not the actual power of the energy).

**like, I can see how white/life would be more powerful, because it's like having all the waves of light simultaneously instead of filtering out just some. A rough guess would be that any blast/construct would be 7 times as powerful as a single type of "emotional energy".

Apologize in advance for any confusion, lol, but after going over it I think this is the best way I can relay the questions/concepts I have in my head. (Oh, and there's no specific question - just a jumping off point for fellow curious minds).

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

One thing I do think, is that "will" may play a part in maintaining a construct. That is, if you had "zero willpower" a construct (that's not actively connected to a ring) would (naer) instantly dissipate, but the stronger your will-power (which really just means the harder you're concentrating) the longer you can keep it together (baring it is met with an overwhelming opposing energy source).

Man...CV really doesn't care for deep-thinking/logic-problem stuff :-/

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 10

I don't think there is just "one level" of constructs, I've just always kind of assumed it is based more on the will(concentration/determination) of the user. As far as entity hosting, my assumption is proximity. The fact that someone is hosting the entity gives them a more direct line to the energy of the entity. Also I in regards to the strength of a construct I think your right, it really just mean concentration. The only thing I don't totally jive with is the idea of a white lantern having having seven times the power of a lantern of colour. If you continue with that line of thought then black lanterns would have no power? Since black is devoid of light and what not.

Man...CV really doesn't care for deep-thinking/logic-problem stuff :-/

Haha, it comes and it goes, maybe you would have gotten more response on one of the GL boards though.