Give up superheroes or other stuff? [Poll]

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Give up superheroes or other stuff? [Poll] (13 votes)

The two big superhero publishers, gladly! 23%
Mmmhhhh, it's hard, but I guess I can do without the superheroes of old... 8%
Ouch, hard one, but I cannot give up the big two! 23%
Marvel and DC are too much of a staple for me. Bye bye, other stuff. 46%
Shoot me first! 8%

Just to see what the public thinks, I would like to ask this. I already know my answer, but I want to hear from you. If you add an explaination, it's all the more fun for everybody.

The question is this: you have to give up either: both Marvel and DC; otherwise all other publishers. I'm talking about Image, Valiant, IDW, Boom, Zenescope, etc. (which are not "indie" as some say). Which of these two choices would you choose?

Third choice is I shoot you in a random place and hope you don't die :p

• 
Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Billy Batson

Giving up the big two or others? Why the big two of course.

which are not "indie" as some say

Which publishers are you referring to? Some publish just licensed stuff, some independent and some both.

BB

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Giving up the big two or others? Why other the big two of course.

which are not "indie" as some say

Which publishers are you referring to? Some publish just licensed stuff, some independent and some both.

BB

Wait, what do you mean by "Why other the big two of course"? You mean you would lean towards giving up the others or the big two?

A publisher, to be "indie", but be a small press. Some comics (not publishers) published by some of the ones I listed can be classified as indie as they are licensed by the houses, but Image and Valiant, for example, cannot be consider small press or indipendent publishers, like most people seem to classify them.

It's just a small fine point which probably only I care about :)

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Billy Batson

@matteopg said:

A publisher, to be "indie", but be a small press. Some comics (not publishers) published by some of the ones I listed can be classified as indie as they are licensed by the houses, but Image and Valiant, for example, cannot be consider small press or indipendent publishers, like most people seem to classify them.

It's just a small fine point which probably only I care about :)

Edited. The big two.

The definition of independent:

free from outside control; not subject to another's authority

All the Image series fit this description. The creators create, do everything and have all the rights to their creations.

BB

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billy_batson: yes, that's the definition of indipendent, I know, but not of indipendent art or indipendent press, which are two very distinct and precise entities. If you were talking about indipendent as in the normal, non-technical meaning, I absolutely agree with you. But an indipendent comic book has to have other prerequisites to be called that.

Still, on another topic, I love how Image handles their business. I love creator owned stories, they are one of the very cornerstones of good storytelling, in my opinion.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matteopg said:

@billy_batson: yes, that's the definition of indipendent, I know, but not of indipendent art or indipendent press, which are two very distinct and precise entities. If you were talking about indipendent as in the normal, non-technical meaning, I absolutely agree with you. But an indipendent comic book has to have other prerequisites to be called that.

Still, on another topic, I love how Image handles their business. I love creator owned stories, they are one of the very cornerstones of good storytelling, in my opinion.

Are you talking about self-publishing? A self-publisher is an independent publisher, but an independent publisher is not necessarily a self-publisher.

BB

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billy_batson: wow, you are right. I think I oversimplified it. So, small press and indipendet publishers are not the same thing. So, for example, something like Image, what is it?

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matteopg said:

@billy_batson: wow, you are right. I think I oversimplified it. So, small press and indipendet publishers are not the same thing. So, for example, something like Image, what is it?

An independent publisher, albeit a popular one. Like I said, the creators have all the rights to their work and can do anything with them. It can be risky to be published by Image - they don't pay page rate, the creators are dependent on the sales of the book.

BB

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MatteoPG

Just seven votes, but so far equally distributed (more or less) between either option. No other takers?

(I love it: when there are few votes, the percentages don't add up...)

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

At the end of the day, I have to stick with the Big 2. Kind of a brand loyalty thing. They got me into comics, not Image or Valiant. Plus, I find all publishers to be "hit or miss" not just DC and Marvel. I don't think being able to do things like have cuss words or naked people= better stories.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Veshark

I'd give up the others and only read superhero books from the Big Two if I was forced to make a choice. Some people might say that I'm too easily discounting the other publishers, and while I do enjoy their titles and want to support their books, the fact of the matter is that I read more DC-Marvel comics than anything else. Superheroes are the main reason why I buy this medium in the first place. Though really, I don't care for most of the current Big Two titles save for a few; I'd very rather much read their past work.

Skit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would probably stay with the big 2. I'm currently reading a bit more "indie" comics than those from the big two and I love some of the really creative stuff. There's other factors though, like imprints length of time the big 2 have been going etc. This is of course based of the current situation of the comic industry an as such could easily change.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like, 2 of the titles on my ongoing series list aren't The Big Two. Like, 35 are. Bye, other stuff.

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MatteoPG

Wow, the other publishers got a big kick in the groin today! Even though my vote was for abandoning the big two, I completely understand this trend. If even loyalty was the only issue here (which isn't the case), people will stick with characters and writers they have known their whole lives.

At the end of the day, I have to stick with the Big 2. Kind of a brand loyalty thing. They got me into comics, not Image or Valiant. Plus, I find all publishers to be "hit or miss" not just DC and Marvel. I don't think being able to do things like have cuss words or naked people= better stories.

I absolutely agree with you. I should have specified, this thread has nothing to do with assessing which kind of comic book is better... that's a fool's errand ;)
It only has to do with what people like, choose, would choose and prefer, be it for personal reasons or general economic considerations.