Ok, so I know there are a lot of characters who, maybe they were interesting at one time but aren't anymore, maybe they were created for an event then stuck around unnecessarily, but they just don't do it for you. Maybe it's a character you find redundant, cliché, or who would be better in a story if they were replaced entirely with someone else. Feel free to list characters that are currently dead if you hope they stay dead. Obviously this isn't meant to turn into a flame war, or just a list of characters you hate I know plenty of people who hate Carnage but think the character fills a niche that other characters couldn't. I'll start things off.
First, just for fun, here's some characters I left off the list and why
- Power Girl. I know she's the same as Supergirl, but the difference in personality and tone of the characters makes her worth keeping around
- Deadpool. He's everywhere and he's not as funny as fanyboys think he is, but nobody else could take his place in a story. But seriously, keep him to 3 books a month, max.
- Moon Knight. I hate Moon Knight. I think he's just marvels lamer white version of Batman, but after giving it some thought, I couldn't think of a different Marvel version of Batman.
- Beta Ray Bill. He's Thor, he's a horse, he just doesn't do it for me. I guess back in the 80s someone decided it would be cool to have Thor in space, but didn't want to mix their fantasy with their sci-fi. What I really don't get is this: Odin gave Bill his powers (via Stormbreaker), Odin is dead, why does Bill still have his powers? I mean if you (read: comic writers) want Thor, why not use THOR? If you don't want Thor and you're saying "he's just an alien with a cool weapon and electricity powers" then why have the whole backstory? I don't get it. I don't like it. If he were written out of existence I certainly wouldn't care.
- The Phantom. Stop trying to resurrect this character! I know, he's old. I'm sure he served as a model for some modern characters. I don't care, he looks ridiculous. And the more people try to modernize the character and modernize his outfit, the less it works (exhibit A, exhibit B, exhibit C). You want a story about a guy in a jungle shooting bad dudes, don't give me a guy in a purple jumpsuit, give me the Punisher, or Deadshot, or Deathstroke, Deadpool, Green Arrow, Captain America, I don't care. Just give me someone I care about.
- Namora/Namorita. Do we REALLY need both of them? From what I remember off the back of my Marvel trading cards from 3rd to 6th grade, they have the EXACT same description: Namor's female cousin, same powers.
- Toxin. Too many symbiotes! I think Marvel killed off the 5 symbiotes from Venom Lethal protector when they realized having a symbiote isn't enough to make a character interesting.
- Mon-El. Another superman clone (not literally). I don't like Daxamites (Sodam Yat notwithstanding). From what I understand, they needed someone to fill in during the New Krypton and War of the Supermen arcs, but Lar Gand does nothing for me. They could've had Captain Marvel or Powergirl take over. Maybe I would've read those books then.