#1 Edited by hassassin (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Hi guys, after playing the Rocksteady games and watching TDK trilogy, I've really wanted to get into Batman, and as a brit, this is somewhat difficult as there is not a comic culture here. So I was wondering where do I start? I originally was going to start with the reading list from here http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?387498-Batman-Reading-Order-Please/page2&s=a9ee3b5fa759f8e2d05be312569f3128 but I then discovered that DC released a reboot of their comics, "New 52" and now I'm wondering whether that's the way to go?

I should probably mention that outside the games and the Nolan series, I'm not much familiar with the the Batman canon, although I did watch Batman of the Future as a kid, and I think I may have caught a few episodes of the Justice League.

#2 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8452 posts) - - Show Bio

@hassassin: Yes it's definatly the way to go!

You're in luck too. The writer has started a re-imagining of Batman's origin for the new 52 and it's only two issues in.

#3 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8452 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by hassassin (3 posts) - - Show Bio

@battle_forum_junkie: Thanks! Could you clarify more to what the New 52 is exactly? Is it really a new slate, and the stories or comics prior to it have been wiped from DC history?

Also I'll probably read Year One anyway, from what I've read it's a pretty big deal.

#5 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (34277 posts) - - Show Bio

@hassassin: It depends, do you just want to get caught up on the current series or do you just want to read the best Batman stories ever told? Also since your from the UK like me it might help if you use Comixology

#6 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8452 posts) - - Show Bio

@hassassin: Yes, it's a total re-boot of the DC universe. This link might help. http://www.comicvine.com/profile/kangaxx_54/blog/comics-for-dummies-with-a-focus-on-dc/92479/#js-message-9881284

And the comic justifies the hype, IMO.

#7 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6516 posts) - - Show Bio

@hassassin: Do you know that there are U.K. comics that reprint the American ones? There are two Batman series at the moment, one printing Detective Comics and The Dark Knight, the other printing Batman, and a combination of Batman Incorporated and Batman And Robin.

You can get them in WH Smith, and some other newsagents. There are also Justice League and Superman titles for DC , and 7 or 8 Marvel titles to choose from.

#8 Posted by batmannflash (6226 posts) - - Show Bio

@hassassin: Yeah read the current Batman New 52 series. Batman & Robin and Batman Inc are also good current series. Issue 1 of Batman/Superman came out a few weeks ago, and it is worth checking out.

Hey if you want to read some of the Batman stories ever, then private message me anytime!

#9 Posted by hassassin (3 posts) - - Show Bio

@hassassin: Yeah read the current Batman New 52 series. Batman & Robin and Batman Inc are also good current series. Issue 1 of Batman/Superman came out a few weeks ago, and it is worth checking out.

Hey if you want to read some of the Batman stories ever, then private message me anytime!

@hassassin:

Do you know that there are U.K. comics that reprint the American ones? There are two Batman series at the moment, one printing Detective Comics and The Dark Knight, the other printing Batman, and a combination of Batman Incorporated and Batman And Robin.

You can get them in WH Smith, and some other newsagents. There are also Justice League and Superman titles for DC , and 7 or 8 Marvel titles to choose from.

@hassassin: Yes, it's a total re-boot of the DC universe. This link might help. http://www.comicvine.com/profile/kangaxx_54/blog/comics-for-dummies-with-a-focus-on-dc/92479/#js-message-9881284

And the comic justifies the hype, IMO.

@hassassin: It depends, do you just want to get caught up on the current series or do you just want to read the best Batman stories ever told? Also since your from the UK like me it might help if you use Comixology

Thanks guys, I think I'll probably do both, read some of the classic stories and get started from the beginning of the reboot.

#10 Posted by Onemoreposter (4086 posts) - - Show Bio

@hassassin: Go with the old stuff man. Batman's post-crisis, pre-52 continuity is so rich and fantastic. The New 52 Batman titles have been pretty "meh" except for Batman and Robin, and Batman Inc (which follows a pre-flashpoint story line)

Good luck! Hope you find something you ike.