Getting comics signed

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By IrishX

So I've been considering going to the next NYCC and I had always thought that the one thing I would do there would be to get an autograph on some of my comic issues.  

Recently though I came across an issues description on Ebay that had six signatures on it. It was a Wolverine issue that had Stan Lee, The 3 creators of Logan and 2 from the creators of that issue. I thought wow that is awesome but when I looked at it the first thing I thought was that it looked like absolute garbage. It looked as if a child scribbled all over the front of a comic. 

Maybe one signature isn't so bad but it got me thinking about whether I really even wanted them. I really like getting autographs normally but I think it's different for a football or baseball card because I display my comics as art and I don't want to ruin that in any way. Basically I came to the conclusion that it's just not for me to get autographs on the covers of my comics but it would be acceptable on the inside of the issue. 

Well thanks for reading if you do and I'd love to hear any opinions on getting signatures.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Caligula

a lot of people will gladly sign inside the covers if asked instead of on the actual cover. most of my signed comics are on the inside of the cover.

Raven0207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By Raven0207

I have comics signed both ways. I have a Michael Turner Tribute with 30 of the artist involved on the cover but I also have a X-Men #94 with Dave Cockrum and Chris Claremont on the 1st page. It just depends on what you want .

harleyquinn12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 21

#4  Edited By harleyquinn12

My suggestion would be to get one creator to sign the cover, and one the sign the inside cover. i had both Kieron Gillen and Jamie mckelvie sign my Phonogram trade on the inside cover, so that might work too.
IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By IrishX
@Raven0207 said:
It just depends on what you want .
No doubt and there is no right or wrong here. Just curious what other opinions there were on getting signatures. I like getting them as it's a nice way to feel more connected to the person and whatever they are part of. 

I read that some people won't get any signatures on their comics because they don't want to mess with the integrity of them at all. I would relate that to someone rebuilding a classic muscle car and making sure they only got original parts for it. 
AMS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By AMS

Just buy a spare copy off your favourite issue if possible and take it to get signed.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By IrishX

Any more opinions on getting signatrues?
Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Maybe put the comic in a nice bag and board and let them sign the polybag?
Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I went to San Diego Comic Con this year and got a comic book signed after a panel by Nick Spencer for my Morning Glories trade. He did not sign on the cover but in the book on the first page. I was very happy for the signature. 

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By IrishX

Appreciate all the ideas and opinions.

Obviously this isn't final but I think I'm just going to get a few trades signed. I want Tim Sale's sig on my Daredevil: Yellow HC, Mignola's sig on my Seed of Destruction trade, and Frank Miller's (just announced!) sig on my Hard Goodbye trade. I'm also going to try and get Whilce Portacio's sig on a copy of Wetworks #1 for a friend of mine.

StarKiller809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By StarKiller809

If I have someone sign a comics I normally buy two.
I have the creators sign one and the other one is mine to read how many times I want.
I don't think I would read a comic book that has been signed... to valuable to me.

boredout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

you should try www.GetStuffSigned.com you can send you're stuff directly to them and let them deal with getting it signed. comics, baseballs you name it and they will get it autographed for you. they even ship overseas and in discreet packaging

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

A cool thing I have recently started doing is getting my pic with the creator and both of us holding said issue since I'm not a huge autograph seeker. But the "buying another copy" thing is good also.