Getting Back into Comics after 15+ Years. Suggestions Welcomed!

Agiyosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Agiyosi

I used to casually read comics back in the '90s. I got into them mostly because of the art (I'm an artist, or was, rather; haven't drawn anything in a while), but did start to follow some characters/teams. I read some of the Hulk, X-Men, Spider-Man, and Batman. While Batman was my favorite, I'd say, I preferred the overall architecture and characters of Marvel. I followed some of the Image start-ups at first (I was/am a huge Jim Lee fan). I stopped reading comics, though, and am only now getting back into them. However, I did pick up Kingdom Come and some of the bigger Batman arcs like the Miller stories.

I plan on ordering the Planet Hulk and World War Hulk story arcs, as I always thought the Hulk was such a great character with potential, but so seldom realized; these stories seem like they at least try cashing in on that. I'd love to jump back into Spider-Man and Batman, too, but w/ all the reboots and such, I'm sort of lost. I know I plan on starting w/ the new Batman stories with the Talons, Night of Owls, and all that. Seems fairly interesting.

And I used to totally dismiss Doctor Strange since it was magic/the occult, but now that I'm older, for whatever reason, I think that stuff's really intriguing (from a story perspective). I wouldn't mind jumping into some his stuff and maybe the Avengers as well (and possibly Iron Man and Thor). If I like Strange I might even try the Defenders. Any suggestions where to start outside of the obvious classic origins, etc.?

Also, outside of Batman, I always thought DC was too campy and goofy, but have warmed to it (superficially) over the years. I've sort of got an eyebrow raised toward Supes, but have no clue where to begin. As a side note, I totally loved the animated flick, "Under the Red Hood," and the whole origin story of Jason Todd. Might be one of my fav origin stories I've encountered in comics.

Anyway, I'm totally open to any suggestions in either universe, but since I am more familiar with Marvel, I guess I could find my own way there. DC is a frickin' maze to me. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Also, any recommendations regarding Black Panther would be awesome.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By Kallarkz

One of the reasons why I will always love Marvel over DC is simply for the X-men. They were what introduced me into the world of comics and I have enjoyed their books ever since I was a child.

If you love Marvel I would suggest picking up some of their books.

There are a variety of acclaimed books right now being sold by Marvel like: Scarlet Spider, Amazing Spider-Man, Ultimate Spider-Man, Uncanny X-men, Wolverine and the X-men, Venom and Uncanny X-Force.

Each of these books have had great runs and they are not too far in right now that you couldn't catch up. Amazing Spider-Man is the exception to that list however but if you start from the beginning of an event called Spider-Island you will be caught up and hooked.

As far as Mighty Thor goes (Thor's title) its doing.....alright. I only collect it because it is discounted at my Local comic book shop ( i buy it for $1) but I couldn't quite tell you it's worth $3.99 for.

Iron Man is entertaining at the moment. This book is currently going through an event (on part 2 as of yesterday) in which Tony Stark is no longer Iron Man. Although this type of thing has been done many times to Iron Man I have read most of the issues before it took place and they were ok. I personally however am not sure I want to dive into this kind of story that I have read so many times before.

You mentioned Dr. Strange and The Defender and currently they have their own book right now. The members are Silver Surfer, She Red-Hulk, Iron Fist, Namor and Dr. Strange. Unfortunately, this book is not doing so well. I picked up 2 issues last week and I was really debating on making an argument to simply return them. It's just not being written well right now.

I can't even talk about The Incredible Hulk at this moment. It is just...bad. And that's so hard to say because the writer is doing such a great job on some of his other books.

Most of DC's books are only 9 issues in. I know DC can appear to be a little daunting at first but believe me they are making the stories easy to follow. There are various Bat books I am enjoying at this current moment in time which are:

• Batman
  • Batman and Robin
  • Nightwing
  • Batwing

Right now an event called "Court of Owls" is occurring in Batman books and it is simply one of the best Batman events I have read.

Some other DC Books that might possibly interest you right now are:

• Blue Beetle
  • Animal Man
  • Swamp Thing
  • Green Lantern
  • Action Comics
  • Smallville
  • Smallville is directly from the TV show and is being written as what would have happened in the 11th season and it is barley on book one and it is so much better than Superman's current title right now that has been a roller coaster.

The world of comics might seem hard to jump into but I only have one suggestion. Create a budget right now. This could easy get out of control and you could spend a fortune trying to catch up. Before you go out spending loads of money ask around what are the best starting points for some exact titles that you want to pick up. You'll thank yourself that you did.

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Kallarkz

@Agiyosi said:

Black Panther had a series for a short while in which he took over Daredevil's position of being the protector of Hell's Kitchen and he left Wakanda. All Vibranium in the world minus Cap's shield has been destroyed and Black Panther currently does not have his Panther God powers. He is like Captain America now in which he is at the pinnacle of human physical prowess.

The series was alright. I stopped after a while because I really couldn't get used to Black Panther being in New York and not Wakanda. Try picking up the first couple of issues and see how you like it. It wasn't horrible though.

It's called Black Panther: The Man Without Fear.

Agiyosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Agiyosi

@Kallarkz:

Thanks a ton for the feedback.

I've read great things about Spider-Island. I will start there. I may bypass any current Thor titles then, but perhaps go back to some older stuff. And I did read the current buzz regarding Stark no longer being Iron Man. I'm not opposed to that sort of change, but Stark is what always made Iron Man so cool. I think it'd take a sharp story to pull that off.

As for Strange, like Thor, I will try to dig around for older stuff to at least get a foundation of who he is (as well as Black Panther). And regarding Hulk, I can see that. I've always felt he wasn't used properly in most cases. Such a cool, even if overpowered, character. Sucks he is not being utilized to potential still.

I will check out some of the DC stuff you rec'd. Green Lantern maybe and probably the Blue Beetle.

And I will definitely jump back into X-Men. Always dug 'em. It's just reading up on the history, different members, etc., is so inexplicably convoluted. I suppose it is just a matter of patience and catching up.

Again, I really appreciate the reply.

Katie24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Katie24

If your into really great art I would recommend picking up the Batwoman: Elegy trade paperback. J.H. Williams III is the artist and he is one of the best in the industry right now. Its written by Greg Rucka who is also pretty amazing.

Agiyosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Agiyosi

@Katie24:

I will look into that as well. Thanks for the rec.

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

Pick up The Losers, Green Arrow: Year One, Sleeper Seasons 1 and 2, The Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes, and Animal Man: The Hunt.