#1 Posted by flashrobin (100 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it just me or does The Avengers get way too much praise?

#2 Posted by CheeseSticks (2264 posts) - - Show Bio

You are 100% right. The movie made a lot of money because of the kids. Most of my friends(myself include) loved the Dark Knight trilogy way more.

#3 Posted by sinestro_GL (3008 posts) - - Show Bio

Movie or comics?

#4 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

The movie does.

The comics suck, but no one praises them as much as the movie (other than idiots, and they don't count)

#5 Edited by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by TDK_1997 (13694 posts) - - Show Bio

Way too much praise.

#7 Posted by entropy_aegis (13631 posts) - - Show Bio

The movie has praise worthy factors going for it,but most fans praise it not for those factors but because of "OMG THIS IS THE MOST CLOSEST TO THE SOURCE MATERIAL CBM EVAR".

#8 Posted by ImagineMan16 (466 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the movie regardless of the flaws it had. No one expected it to be perfect, and it came closer than I thought it would.

#9 Posted by impossibilly (876 posts) - - Show Bio

I watched The Avengers again this weekend and still love it.

Iron Man 3 on the other hand...that movie is great for about half an hour and then becomes unwatchable right at the moment that Tony Stark meets that kid.

#10 Posted by Cr4pSnip3r (302 posts) - - Show Bio

@thetimestreamer: He's allowed do that. I'm sure with each new avengers movie he'll update his opinion.

#11 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (4671 posts) - - Show Bio

Not enough praise for the movie or the book. DK trilogy is amazing though.

#12 Posted by Enzeru (2954 posts) - - Show Bio

You are 100% right. The movie made a lot of money because of the kids. Most of my friends(myself include) loved the Dark Knight trilogy way more.

It's more likely that the movie made a lot of money, because it had a lot of fan-favorite characters and they spent years to hype the movie up by including hints in all the other movies. They were leading up to the movie and when it arrived it was a fun no-brainer.
It was colorful, funny at times and it was obvious that the actors had a great time playing their roles, which carried over to the viewers.

#13 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@impossibilly said:

Iron Man 3 on the other hand...that movie is great for about half an hour and then becomes unwatchable right at the moment that Tony Stark meets that kid.

Iron Man 3 really does not get enough hate. That movie is Batman and Robin level terrible.

At least Batman and Robin wasn't to be taken seriously.

#14 Posted by Squalleon (3005 posts) - - Show Bio

Way to much praise.
Every time i watch it, i dislike it more and more.
The first time my mind was numbed from the idea of the avengers coming together.

#15 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@squalleon said:

Way to much praise.

Every time i watch it, i dislike it more and more.

The first time my mind was numbed from the idea of the avengers coming together.

You would shoot yourself if you lived in my house.

My dad watches the Avengers at least 5 times a week.

#16 Edited by CheeseSticks (2264 posts) - - Show Bio

@thetimestreamer said:

@cheesesticks: 3 movies vs 1. smart you may not be.

What? Are you serious? Ok then, because you cannot understand i'll explain to you.

BB > Avengers

DK > Avengers

DKR > Avengers

Are you happy now? Do you understand now? I can draw it if you want.

#17 Edited by Batman242 (4803 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes it does. But it seemed as if it was just for the fun and not the actual story. Dark Knight (although I have my gripes about it) should get more than it does.

#18 Posted by Squalleon (3005 posts) - - Show Bio

@fadetoblackbolt: God no. I really dislike a huge part of the movie.
It drags too long for so little substance.

#19 Posted by entropy_aegis (13631 posts) - - Show Bio

I watched it on DVD a week ago,have to say I enjoyed it a lot more than I did previously,it almost felt perfect. However this time I didn't bother to take Loki seriously.

#20 Edited by Wolverine08 (26684 posts) - - Show Bio

No, just no.

#21 Posted by M3th (1775 posts) - - Show Bio

I never really heard a lot of praise for The Avengers. In all honesty I heard more BatFanatics say it gets too much praise and they TDKR was way better.

Sure, I saw a lot of people be excited but why wouldn't they be? This is the first known solo superheros on a team movie done.

#22 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

@cr4psnip3r: no. you would have to be retarded to compare a movie to 3.

#23 Posted by Vascillator (54 posts) - - Show Bio

If it gets praise it's well deserved imo, if there are superhero movies who get too much praise then its Nolan's Bat Trilogy.

#24 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (5609 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, pretty much. In my opinion, every film of the Dark Knight Trilogy, Man of Steel, and Captain America: The Winter Soldier were way better than it.

#25 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

@cheesesticks: no. you would probably stab yourself with the pencil. as for your rage, you said trilogy and, as someone with a working brain, i think of the story from begins to dkr (as a WHOLE) compared to the story of avengers.

#26 Edited by RulerOfThisUniverse (5609 posts) - - Show Bio

@thetimestreamer: He just told you that he didn't. He means that every separate movie of the Dark Knight Trilogy were better than The Avengers, not all of them together are better than the one Avengers film. Don't go around calling people retards because they have a different opinion than you.

#27 Posted by Wolverine08 (26684 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly don't like threads where you ask if popular films like the Dark Knight, Avengers, etc get too much praise.

#28 Posted by joshmightbe (24101 posts) - - Show Bio

Most of the people who didn't like Avengers seem to have expected way more that was promised. As I've said before, Avengers delivered exactly what it said it was going to deliver, huge scale popcorn movie. Anyone who expected any different clearly wasn't paying attention.

#29 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

@rulerofthisuniverse: i meant his original post. not his latest. and no, i wont. comparing a trilogy to 1 movie is retarded.

#30 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (5609 posts) - - Show Bio

@thetimestreamer: Yes, but you called him a retard after his latest post, in which he explained what he was saying.

#31 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope, I love that film.

#32 Posted by Cr4pSnip3r (302 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Posted by flameboy298 (638 posts) - - Show Bio

It gets more praise then Nolan's crap..

#34 Edited by TheAcidSkull (15930 posts) - - Show Bio

it doesn't get enough praise.

that's right.

#35 Posted by kgb725 (3418 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman begins isn't good and Tdkr is over rated

#36 Edited by Tyrus (1064 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers is getting the praise it deserves. You can only imagine the "way too much praise" movies like The Dark Knight trilogy would be getting if The Avengers never existed. Also, why do you people talk as if The Avengers having kid viewers is a bad thing? Like I said, if another movie (not just The Dark Knight) was sitting at Number 1 because of a wider ranged-audience, how would you people respond? The Avengers is simply at the top at the moment and it just so happened to be very (VERY) successful so get used to it or get over it.

It's been A YEAR and 4 months people.

#37 Edited by TheAcidSkull (15930 posts) - - Show Bio

@tyrus: and besides, it's not like we went in to see some dark gritty themes, we wanted a fun Superhero movie and thats what we got :P

#38 Posted by sinestro_GL (3008 posts) - - Show Bio

No, the film doesn't get too much praise.

I feel the film deserves the praise it gets for Marvel finally bringing a superhero team the big screen, after effectively establishing a cinematic universe.

#39 Posted by sinestro_GL (3008 posts) - - Show Bio

...and by the way, DKR sucked balls

#40 Edited by Guardian_of_Gravity (2951 posts) - - Show Bio

I really think people who denigrate children as unworthy of having quality fiction made for them are idiots who've never had a child. My three kids are a little over two at the oldest and they're far smarter than the "trolololol kids are teh dumbness" that teenagers and young adults on the internet like to spout off to make themselves feel superior. I so far liked every MCU movie put out and believe that the DC and Marvel movies are both good but for different reasons and on their own merits.

#41 Edited by Tyrus (1064 posts) - - Show Bio

@guardian_of_gravity said:

I really think people who denigrate children as unworthy of having quality fiction made for them are idiots who've never had a child. My three kids are a little over two at the oldest and they're far smarter than the "trolololol kids are teh dumbness" that teenagers and young adults on the internet like to spout off to make themselves feel superior. I so far liked every MCU movie put out and believe that the DC and Marvel movies are both good but for different reasons and on their own merits.

Thank you for properly elaborating on that.

The Avengers and quite frankly all the Marvel films are perfect examples of idiots complaining about child-audiences.

#42 Posted by Guardian_of_Gravity (2951 posts) - - Show Bio

@tyrus said:

@guardian_of_gravity said:

Thank you for properly elaborating on that.

Thanks, it's part of why shows like Avengers Assemble and Teen Titans Go annoy me so much. Children aren't stupid, stop treating them like they are. They can handle Justice league and Earth's mightiest heroes quality shows, so don't shove the cinematic or animated equivalent of waving your keys in front of their faces in front of them.

So I plan on primarily showing my kids quality shows like Justice league, Superman and Batman the animated series, Spectacular Spider man, Earth's mightiest heroes, Batman beyond, Green Lantern the animated series, The Batman, Brave and the Bold, Season 1 of young justice (before it got stupid), Transformers Animated, Transformers Prime, Gravity Falls, the first series of Ben 10, and such once they're old enough for it.

Talking down to kids only fosters a new generation of stupid people.

#43 Posted by TheAcidSkull (15930 posts) - - Show Bio

...and by the way, DKR sucked balls

no. not at all.

#44 Posted by SC (11961 posts) - - Show Bio

Compared to? A more original, creative, clever, intelligent, fun, exciting, unique, witty, dramatic movie that doesn't get half as much praise? Relative to nothing else, everything gets about the amount of praise, criticism, exaggeration it 'deserves', one has to establish a reference point, a measurement guide, to help establish whether something is getting any type of undue praise. I personally consider it a good movie, but not a great or excellent movie. In this respect I can find it overrated in a sense, but I am glad at what its success means for comics in general. I also find that a lot of people look at its success and have this cynical whiplash to it. I mean oh no it appealed to a lot of people that aren't me! I mean you know, unless your the guy that spent 30 years in seclusion in a small hut on Kebnekaise in Sweden studying the meta themes of black and white South Korean movies that have no dialogue only animal noises layered over each other to create a faintly human like sound, there will always be people that find every movie overrated. There will always be someone more cynical and or pretentious and thats okay too, thats great in fact, main point being its nice to establish why something might get too much praise or not enough praise, so on.

#45 Edited by Guardian_of_Gravity (2951 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc said:

Compared to? A more original, creative, clever, intelligent, fun, exciting, unique, witty, dramatic movie that doesn't get half as much praise? Relative to nothing else, everything gets about the amount of praise, criticism, exaggeration it 'deserves', one has to establish a reference point, a measurement guide, to help establish whether something is getting any type of undue praise. I personally consider it a good movie, but not a great or excellent movie. In this respect I can find it overrated in a sense, but I am glad at what its success means for comics in general.

I also find that a lot of people look at its success and have this cynical whiplash to it. I mean oh no it appealed to a lot of people that aren't me! I mean you know, unless your the guy that spent 30 years in seclusion in a small hut on Kebnekaise in Sweden studying the meta themes of black and white South Korean movies that have no dialogue only animal noises layered over each other to create a faintly human like sound, there will always be people that find every movie overrated. There will always be someone more cynical and or pretentious and thats okay too, thats great in fact, main point being its nice to establish why something might get too much praise or not enough praise, so on.

Broken into smaller paragraphs for ease of reading.

#46 Edited by SC (11961 posts) - - Show Bio
#47 Posted by The_Salty_Slaughterer (27 posts) - - Show Bio

(GoG here on a different role playing account)

Remember the five line rule of thumb.

It can save your life.

#48 Posted by Tyrus (1064 posts) - - Show Bio

I just wanted to throw in-- I have had The Avengers on my computer going on a year now and whether I'm bored or not, my mind seems to be dragged back to the movie and I have watched it over and OVER again (like right now). I have never gotten tired of it, probably never will - heck I just downloaded Iron Man 3 yesterday and I haven't even re-watched it as many times in a day as I do with Avengers... Avengers is like crack for me.

#49 Posted by flameboy298 (638 posts) - - Show Bio