Geek Week?

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

What is this crap about exactly?

Is the point of this just to promote stereotypes and generalize people who like different things (known as "geeks")?

If so,then bravo...job well done.

I wonder what they'll do next...portray people who like football as idiotic meatheads? Oh no,lol,no they won't. In society,if you like sports or anything of the such it's a "who cares?" or your just accepted with open arms,but God forbid that you like a certain franchise or comics or you're just interested in science. OH NO!!!

Anyway...what is this s***** event about?

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Saw something to do with YouTube to pick out a channel for idk what.

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Bierschneeman

im not positive but there has been a wide expansion of geek exceptence in the world to a point of excepting that everyone is a geek about something. whether the (as you put it) "Meathead" sports guy who really gets geeky about sports (sometimes able to spout off strings of statistics) or something as simple as a "Days of our Lives" geek. So by that theory it could be just a broader version of "May the 4th be with you" or that other Star Wars Fan Holiday whose name I forget.

but looking at the website (i assume Geekweek.com is it) it looks like a forum dedicated to.... everything (traditionally geeky that is, I notice the absence of beer, and tabletop games)

and checking youtube (where the news articles lead me it seems geared towards classic geeky fan stuffs and science. which I find cool since I think science needs help in keeping people involved in it in their studies.)

andI also found that this isn't that new. its stretched back at least several years now.

so there you have it. a harmless celebration about being geeky that almost seems like a "Geek Heritage Week". (except Beer geekyness is absent, cause we can't promote the idea since kids might be watching??? ok that part sucks)

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@bierschneeman: Well the first part is true,but not completely. Many people still have this very simple view that liking certain things makes you a "geek" and that is something seen as bad. But you can't convince everyone....although it's odd that when you convince a large enough number,people will follow.

I mean,I don't really hate it,it just seems so.....typical. Not really a good representation of the things they call "geeky". I mean,it's about as stereotypical as TBBT. I mean,it's pretty nice to see,but almost seems to push certain images. Do you know what I mean?

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

I don't really hate it,it just seems so.....typical. Not really a good representation of the things they call "geeky". I mean,it's about as stereotypical as TBBT. I mean,it's pretty nice to see,but almost seems to push certain images. Do you know what I mean?

no I don't. maybe Im just looking at different mediums (not just the newer Youtube Model) I see science y stuff of course and comics and math, but I also see music oriented geek stuff, and sports, and pop culture, and TV, movies, books, theatre, and even Automotive subjects being highlighted this week. in fact the only things I see absent are the forementioned Beer, and some extremely geek stereotypes like DnD or CCGs (to which I still play DnD and used to play CCGS so im not trying to be insulting by saying they are extremely geeky)

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 the_stegman  Moderator

Just like that Comedy Week or whatever it was a few months back, it's just another gimmick Youtube has come up with to get more views to different channels.