Gay characters in INJUSTICE: Gods among Us

TheDJRedVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheDJRedVelvet

I bring this up because when I heard that there was going to John Stewart skin for Green Lantern in the game Inustice: Gods Among Us, I got pretty excited, because spoil alert: I'm Black.

Then I got to thinking about how some underrepresented groups feel about being, well...um, not being that well represented, particularly those who are Gay or don't fit into the gender or sexual normative, particularly in fighting games .

So does having definitely gay, open and proud characters like Apollo and The Midnighter in Injustice matter on some level, even if they end up beings just alternate costumes on Superman and Batman, respectively?

Not looking for one person to be the representative of all that is the LGTBQ community to let me know what's up. Just looking for sincere and respectful insight from anyone from any background. Thanks for reading.

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy sh!t.

We need Apollo and Midnighter in Injustice now.

And not just because they're gay.

StrangeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh my god Apollo and Midnighter in Injustice would be the best thing in the history of everything... but I wonder if the game would even bring up the fact that they're gay... I mean, it's not as obvious as a race or gender, and the story wouldn't really put these characters in a position to call the fact that they're gay, and these aren't obvious gay characters that become downright offensive, so the player wouldn't really know that these awesome characters are gay unless they research on them. I guess what they could do is mention it at the end of the characters' endings bringing up the fact that they're a couple, or maybe even an onscreen kiss, that'd be cool.

Anyhow, Apollo and Midnighter are a must for me.

ShadowX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ShadowX

I say some great lgbt characters would be Apollo, Midnighter, Batwoman, Scandel Savage. I think all of them would be great. Maybe Sir Ystin would be great as well. But there would have to be some kind of time jump to allow him in.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#5  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

How exactly would they show Midnighters powers in Injustice?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

WHO CARES IF A SUPERHERO IS GAY OR NOT. GOD DAMNIT. I CAME HERE FOR LASER BEAMS AND SH!T!

Avatar image for fallen_crippled
Fallen_Crippled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apollo and Midnighter would be awesome.

chem86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I like the idea of everyone being represented as superhero's. There are good people of all types, just as all can be bad. Plus I always says, shit would be boring as hell if we were all the same.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By the_tree

I've wanted Batwoman and Midnighter in Injustice since it was announced.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BATWOMAN.

Shit, make her a Batgirl skin if you really have to.

Web_Flotsam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Web_Flotsam

I don't think Midnighter would work considering his power set but Apollo is fine, and Batwoman would be great if they could differentiate her from Batman. However, a character who isn't LGBT but is a very underrepresented minority (superhero wise) that I would love to see is Jamie Reys, the Blue Beetle.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#12  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

well Martian Manhunter is in it and he's bisexual (kinda) he was canonically engaged to a hermaphroditic alien amazon. Harley Quinn is also bisexual.

Web_Flotsam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt: Well, when it comes to aliens (at least the ones that aren't completely human) gender and sexuality can become kind of meaningless. As for Harley, I didn't know that. I know she hangs out with Ivy a lot when Joker's locked away...

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So you aren't excited cyborg is in the game? 0.o

As long as the character is interesting, sure. But its not necessary to add a character in the game just for the sake of diversity. Add interesting characters who happen to be gay, not the other way around. I'm cuban and I don't care there aren't hispanics in the game, because I prefer to play as good characters than token characters.

That being said, Darkseid should be the next DLC

Avatar image for the_lunact_and_manic
The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@i_like_swords said:

WHO CARES IF A SUPERHERO IS GAY OR NOT. GOD DAMNIT. I CAME HERE FOR LASER BEAMS AND SH!T!

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as the character is interesting, sure. But its not necessary to add a character in the game just for the sake of diversity. Add interesting characters who happen to be gay, not the other way around. I'm cuban and I don't care there aren't hispanics in the game, because I prefer to play as good characters than token characters.

you're getting Zatanna or Red Hood most likely.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

@i_like_swords said:

Some people want the characters regardless of the fact that they're gay.

Some people want the characters because they want representation.

Why do you care? Either way, there's an abundance of straight superheroes.

NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@norrinboltagonprime21 said:

Awwwwwwww

Web_Flotsam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@norrinboltagonprime21: Of course. An interesting character interesting regardless regardless of race, gender, or sexual orientation, and the same goes for uninteresting ones. That's why we want a character like Apollo in Injustice instead of that guy from the New Guardians, or Lost Guardians, or whatever they're called... they fought Snowflame, and did nothing else noteworthy. Now that I think about it, screw all the other characters, I want Snowflame in Injustice!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_lunact_and_manic said:

@i_like_swords said:

Some people want the characters regardless of the fact that they're gay.

Some people want the characters because they want representation.

Why do you care? Either way, there's an abundance of straight superheroes.

I don't read superheroes because they're straight or gay, I read them if they look cool, like most people. It just puzzles me why someone would want to turn an established character gay, or create one for the sole purpose of them being gay. Being gay is a normal thing, and when we start treating it that way there will much less need for these "should ____ be gay" threads.

However, that's my own opinion.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#21  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

I'd be okay with Midnighter or Scandal Savage.

Doesn't matter to me; I don't see myself buying the DLC characters anytime soon unless they release a Season 2 pass. $5 for each character ($20 in the end) is a bit much.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

well Martian Manhunter is in it and he's bisexual (kinda) he was canonically engaged to a hermaphroditic alien amazon.

I don't think that makes him bisexual though.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

What about other non represented groups? Latino, Chinese, Indians, Native Americans, etc?

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#25  Edited By Joygirl

The game already has Joker... doesn't get much gayer than Joker. So we have gay-ass Joker, Harley is Jewish (and bisexual), Cyborg is Black, Bane is Latino, Black Adam is middle eastern, and nobody is Asian.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl said:

The game already has Joker... doesn't get much gayer than Joker.

but i thought you were going to do thing to him in your bed.....unless...you didn't mean consensually...

So we have gay-ass Joker, Harley is Jewish (and bisexual), Cyborg is Black, Bane is Latino, Black Adam is middle eastern, and nobody is Asian.

pretty much

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@avenging_x_bolt said:

well Martian Manhunter is in it and he's bisexual (kinda) he was canonically engaged to a hermaphroditic alien amazon.

I don't think that makes him bisexual though.

nvm you're right. J'onn was really not into the penis.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

@avenging-x-bolt: Pff, everyone's straight for me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What about other non represented groups? Latino, Chinese, Indians, Native Americans, etc?

It's an American comic book company whose sales are made up by white, straight males. There isn't going to much abundance of any other kinds of characters unless there is a demand for them.

Gambit474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's up with wanting to put homosexuality into everything nowadays..It's a fighting game. Why would one care about putting in a gay character or not? When I play these games the last thing I think about is their skin color,sexual orientation,and all that other crap. I guess video games aren't safe from being politically correct anymore either..Guess we're going to start seeing gay characters in Street Fighter,Mortal Kombat,and every where else too eh <.<

I miss the 90's

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's up with wanting to put homosexuality into everything nowadays..It's a fighting game. Why would one care about putting in a gay character or not? When I play these games the last thing I think about is their skin color,sexual orientation,and all that other crap. I guess video games aren't safe from being politically correct anymore either..Guess we're going to start seeing gay characters in Street Fighter,Mortal Kombat,and every where else too eh <.<

I miss the 90's

I think people just like to see some representation.

And having gay characters in things could lead to them becoming more popular, leading to more acceptance and less discrimination.

Little things like this could add up to make a big difference.

Gambit474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gambit474 said:

I miss the 90's

I think people just like to see some representation.

And having gay characters in things could lead to them becoming more popular, leading to more acceptance and less discrimination.

Little things like this could add up to make a big difference.

Or it could be seen as trying to push the gay agenda. That's the problem with these things nowadays..It's incredibly hard to view it as if it's being genuinely done to be put in there or if it's being done just to appease targeted groups. It's like with how someone mentioned them changing characters to be gay..The reasons for doing so are questionable and sometimes unneeded, in the case of changing a character of course. If people want representation I don't think a fighting game should be their best place to look for it since fighting games rarely have a good story nor do they dig that much into their characters

Anyways imo Firestorm should be added before anyone else..Especially since we've already got Killer Frost

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gambit474: Maybe some people would see it that way, but that could happen with anything with a gay character in it.

It's maybe not the best place, but it seems like you could easily put someone in. Even if "fighting games rarely dig that much into their characters", it doesn't mean that it's not the right place for a gay character.

Gambit474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't be surprised if jokes started popping up of someone beating up a gay character or killing them later on. I just find it pointless really...Whether they be gay,straight,black,white,green,or whatever else in a fighting game. It would be like saying "Man I am so glad they added Superman because he's white just like me!"or "Man I am so glad they added Green Lantern because my favorite color is green!" People have silly reasons for wanting things to be added

wtk1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By wtk1013
dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By dondave

well Martian Manhunter is in it and he's bisexual (kinda) he was canonically engaged to a hermaphroditic alien amazon. Harley Quinn is also bisexual.

When did this happen?

NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt said:

Awwwwwwww

:( Who really needs another Bat and Magic character....

Especially Batman character, I think there is already 8 in the game. Thats too much, Batgirl was unnecessary and they really shouldn't add another Robin

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@wtk1013 said:

@avenging_x_bolt: When did Harley Quinn become bisexual?

she' always been according to Paul Dini.

@dondave said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

When did this happen?

an old issue of Justice League Task Force

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: a lightbulb will show up everytime he moves. he will be confused with s&m apollo.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#42  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@gambit474: There already is gay characters in Street Fighter

Gambit474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points