G.I. Joe - Not for Men only

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

There probably are not many comics out there that depict women more capable, more intelligent, or more skillful and without sexualizing them than G.I. Joe.

Women talk about how it feels like maybe they don't belong or they are looked at in such a way when they go to the comic shop. I hope that they don't also look at G.I. Joe like it's only for men because I feel like that would be the same as a guy thinking comics in general aren't for women.

Sorry I'm not a good writer but this is just something I've wanted to mention for a while now. Ladies out there I hope you consider reading some G.I. Joe because if you want to see some women really kicking ass and getting the respect they deserve then this is a comic for you.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

It's also worth noting that the current GI Joe series that just started last week is being written by a woman, Karen Traviss. I haven't read the issue yet, but I have heard good things.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cap10nate: That's true and I probably should have mentioned that. She seems like a great fit for the series. Plenty of knowledge and experience with the military.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It was a pretty good start, I only picked up the series because I'm a fan of Karen Traviss. You're right about strong female characters, Scarlett is basically running the Joe team as well as arguing with Congress to get funding- a long way from the stereotypical comic woman.

That being said, if Snake Eyes doesn't show up soon I'm out of here!

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

It's also worth noting that the current GI Joe series that just started last week is being written by a woman, Karen Traviss. I haven't read the issue yet, but I have heard good things.

The same woman responsible for the Star Wars Commandos books is writing a G.I Joe on-going?

No Caption Provided