• 73 results
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Star Wars franchise is more talked about than ever, since Lucasfilms was purchased by Disney. At first, it was announced that there will be Star Wars spin-off films, there's a lot of speculation for what could be coming down the pipeline in the future. A few months afterwards, it was announced there would be a Star Wars film every year, starting in 2015 with Star Wars: Episode VII. In between the major Star Wars films, we'd be seeing spin-off films featuring some of our favorite characters, like Han Solo and Boba Fett. While it's true there's a lot of cool characters in the Star Wars universe, not every character would make for an interesting spin-off film.

No Caption Provided

While a Boba Fett and a Han Solo spin-off film would be super-cool, there's a few other characters who would work just as well in their own film, regardless of popularity. Here's a few Star Wars characters who could hold their own with their own film.

IG-88

No Caption Provided

In the Star Wars Universe, any time anyone says "bounty hunter," you immediately go to "Boba Fett," even though Empire Strikes Back has a whole line-up of really cool bounty hunters all with their own incredibly deep and cool back stories (especially Dengar). My favorite from that line-up isn't Boba Fett though. It's IG-88: the only robot bounty hunter in the mix.

There are tons of great stories from this character's past that could be made into films. The IG-88 we are all familiar with, from the movies, is actually IG-88B, one of the three IG-88 models created by the original IG-88(A). See? Things have already gotten a lot more interesting. While the IG-88 we all know was off trying to capture Han Solo, IG-88A had some larger, more notorious plans. It wanted to create a Droid Revolution more powerful than the Galactic Empire, and he had the means to create a robot army, millions strong.

Obviously, things didn't work out too well for the bot, since he was on the Death Star the second time it was destroyed, but there is a happy ending. IG-88 was reactivated and became a bodyguard to Tyko Thull. There's tons to work with here, and this character ties into a lot of other familiar faces in the SWU. While I may sound like a crazy fanboy claiming there's multiple films worth of material buried in here, this would for sure make one cool movie. Who doesn't want to see a droid revolution headed by IG-88?

Dash Rendar

Han Solo is nothing but Diet Dash Rendar
Han Solo is nothing but Diet Dash Rendar

If you're an expanded universe fan, you know exactly why this is on here. Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire was the first Star Wars related novel I ever read. It was also the first Star Wars related video game I became obsessed with. Dash Rendar's story has everything a Star Wars fan could ever want in a Star Wars film. Sure, there's a ton of fan service, but in novel form, it's done right.

Dash's whole story takes place in between Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. It's the battle of Dash and the Rebels against someone just as powerful, evil, and influential within the Galaxy as the Emperor - Prince Xizor.

Not only does this story involve an extremely cool bad guy, but it also has cameos from some fan favorite characters: IG-88, Boba Fett, Luke Skywalker, Lando, and Chewbacca. It's the story of a criminal in power and how he is defeated. It has a ton of elements from the movies that people are familiar with, very interesting characters, and best of all, it fills that gap between Empire and Return.

The first time anyone mentioned a "spin-off" story, Shadows of the Empire immediately came to mind. Dash can easily hold his own as a stand-alone character, and this would be the perfect introduction to the expanded universe and its characters. It may be tough to do this film with all the cameos, since the actors that played them have gotten a bit older looking over the decades, but with the power of CGI, I'm sure this could work.

Yoda

Sorry, I couldn't find a picture of Yoda standing over flames looking awesome.
Sorry, I couldn't find a picture of Yoda standing over flames looking awesome.

So far, we've seen one character that appears in only a couple of shots in the original Star Wars trilogy, and one character that isn't in it all all to be highlighted. What about a character most fans know and love that doesn't carry a laser pistol at his side? What about a Yoda spin-off film?

Yoda has appeared in 5 of the 6 Star Wars films and numerous episodes of Muppet Babies (I thought you'd like to know that), yet much of his history and what he is are a completely mystery.

There are bits an pieces of Yoda's past within the expanded universe, but an origin film could put everything together. Have you ever wondered what alien species Yoda is? Most hardcore SW fans just refer to his as a member of "Yoda's Species." How did Yoda get to serve on the Jedi Council for over 700 years?

Out of every character I thought about for this piece, none of them has intrigued me more than learning the history of this character. He's without a doubt the most recognizable character from the franchise, and since he is one of the most powerful Jedi of all time, shouldn't we get to see how get got to be that powerful?

On top of all of that, it, once again, opens up the films to expanded universe elements, all of which take places centuries prior to Episode 1, so there's a whole new door opened there. I couldn't image a better character's origin to be explored. Sure, it may be a little redundant to watch a character go through Jedi training again, but I couldn't imagine a character's training I'd want to see more than Yoda's.

On the flip side of things, what about expanded universe characters that couldn't hold their own? Well, there's a ton of them, but I picked out a few special ones that have interesting back stories that just wouldn't work out on the big screen.

Malakili

Poor Malakili. All he wanted was to take care of his Rancor, in Jabba's dungeon, by feeding it those who were unworthy to be in the presence of the great Jabba the Hutt. After Luke Skywalker killed his beloved pet, Malakili started a restaurant in Mos Eisley. Storybook ending, right?

No Caption Provided

In Malakiling Me Softly, a young Malakili, growing up on Tatooine, finds himself in touch with nature. He loves animals and begins to take care of local Banthas, Womp Rats, and Dewbacks. The locals find he's great at this and he becomes a world renowned animal trainer. News reaches Jabba the Hutt and Jabba asks Malakili to train the untrainable, a Rancor. Although it's tough at first, mainly because the Rancor tries to eat him, Malakili achieves the impossible and tames the creature. Soon afterwords, the Rancor and Malakili fall madly in love and a whirlwind relationship begins, which ends with the death of Malakili's true love and Malakili putting all of his pain into his second love, bad bar food.

Odds of happening: 1-500

Max Rebo

No Caption Provided

While we all love the blue elephant who leads that little band from Tattoine, his story just isn't that compelling. Max Rebo may have escaped Jabba's barge during Return of the Jedi, but everything after that isn't exciting. Sure, he went on to play for the Rebel Alliance, in some weird USO-esque show, but after that, Rebo went on to start a successful chain of restaurants called "Max's Flanth House," and he settled on Coruscant where he lived as a filth, rich elephant-man. What's with all the SW background characters becoming restaurant owners?

In Citizen Rebo, we get to watch a talented musician come from nothing to become the most powerful and successful restaurant owner on all of Coruscant. Rebo slowly rises power in the very competitive Coruscantian fast food wars. After murdering the CEOs of the most successful restaurant chains in the planet, Rebo retires and later dies whispering the words "Max Rebo Band," to which a nurse, numerous rooms away, hears. Later, a group journalists report his last words and spends countless hours and days trying to figure out what it meant.

Odds of happening: 1-250

The Stormtrooper who hits his head on the door

Little to nothing is known about this mysterious Stormtrooper from A New Hope. According the Lucas, he was a clone of Jango Fett. Maybe this guy had a bad day. Regardless, if Jar Jar Binks can have numerous action figures, then this guy should get his own movie, since he's infinitely more intriguing. That's right, my Jar Jar Binks hatred still burns bright, 14 years later.

No Caption Provided

In The Not So Perfect Stormtrooper, one Stormtrooper is having a real bad day: he hits his head on a door, the Rebels have escaped, and the Death Star he works on just blew up! Can life get any worse? It can when that knock on the head somehow turned you into a Force ghost that has to follow Bib Fortuna around, in this wacky, coming of age comedy. Can the Stormtrooper help save Bib from Jabba's sail barge before it explodes or is this clumsy Stormtrooper going to drop the ball?

Odds of happening: 1-1,000,000

What ideas do you guys have for Star Wars spin-off, good or bad?

Mat "InferiorEgo" Elfring is a comedian, local idiot, editor of the website Crap Trap, and host of the podcast "Mat & Lewis Vs The Internet."

Follow and unfollow him on Twitter.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

If there's anyone I want to see get a spin-off, it's this man:

Wedge Antilles
Wedge Antilles
Avatar image for g_money_christmas
G_Money_Christmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Jar Jar Binks origin. Odds of happening 1-1,000,000,000 Everybody hates that bastard haha

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Jar Jar Binks origin. Odds of happening 1-1,000,000,000 Everybody hates that bastard haha

bay is interested. maybe a cross-over with the turtles.

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#4  Edited By BlueLantern1995

I want a Yoda spin off. I would also like a Darth Palagius(the guy who was Palapatine's mentor), Ahsoka Tano, Darth Maul, Obi Wan's Mentor(can't remember his name), General Grievous, and Obi Wan's own origin(probably done with the previous one). Can't think of others right now though I'm sure I'm missing some obvious things I want.

dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By dondasch

Jedi Academy Trilogy, with Mara Jade, or nothing.

bsavelli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My dream star wars movies still are KOTOR and KOTOR 2

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#7  Edited By fables87

I'd love the Yoda idea!

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

Wedge Antilles
Wedge Antilles

This so much.

The Rogue Squadron books and comics are pretty much the best things in the EU as it is. They'd make perfect movies because the Rogues adventures cover just about every genre out there.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#9  Edited By RazzaTazz

@inferiorego I liked Jar Jar, also a Padme movie would be awesome.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

A movie centered around the life of Qymaen jai-Sheelal, the one who became Grievous. I would love to see a rendition done of the Huk War and how he came to rise in his right before everything crashed down around him and he became the terrible cyborg leader of the Droid Army of CIS. It would invariably have to include Christopher Lee playing Darth Tyrannus training him, but I think it would be awesome to do!

IgiMancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#12  Edited By BlueLantern1995

@bluelantern1995: Obi wan's mentor was Qui-Gon Jinn

Thanks, it slipped me. I like that guy. A origin story for Qui-Gon Jinn would be AWESOME!!!!!

MandoViking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IIRC the IG88s where made by the Empire and IG88A was activated, killed everyone in the room, and then activated his "brothers". I don't think he made them. I could be wrong though.

But yeah these would all be cool movies.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 inferiorego  Staff
bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a big Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight fan I'd love to see a movie about Kyle Katarn. That game had so many interesting characters and the plot was grand yet a bit different from the typical Star Wars story.

I know it's not happening and it's not really a spin-off movie but I'd like to see the Thrawn trilogy on the big screen.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego: You have already identified yourself as not a GFT fan, so badmouthing Jar Jar will not help you.

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An R2D2 and C3PO solo adventure.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@inferiorego: You have already identified yourself as not a GFT fan, so badmouthing Jar Jar will not help you.

What is "GFT?"

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@inferiorego: Grimm Fairy Tales

I love Grimm's Fairy Tales! I own two copies of it, and I have bookmarks all over it for personal research and... wait... you mean that comic.... ugh....

kcvic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kcvic
No Caption Provided

nuff said

Sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see them doing any stories that take place during episodes 4-6 for obvious reasons, at least any stories that involve familiar faces. I would be cool with a Boba Fett story or a young Han Solo film. I would also say a Rogue Squadron flick would be great but again, you would be working with characters who are far too old for the job (unless you recast them for some reason, which I don't see in the immediate future).

Same problem with Dash Rendar and the Shadows of the Empire story. However, the other problem is literally that Dash Rendar plays a smaller role in the book than most people realize because of his Nintendo 64 game. In the books you flash between Luke and Leia quite a bit, so the problem from the first paragraph comes back. Lastly, as much as I loved Rendar as a kid he really is simply a surrogate Han Solo. You could follow his story after he faked his death at the end of Shadow if you wanted, but I seriously doubt they would do that.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Can we get a Tag and Bink movie

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5a82f294c6df1
deactivated-5a82f294c6df1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really? No Kyle Katarn? Really?

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego: The comic is as good as any comic story in any comic universe. The Wonderland stuff is better than anything DC or Marvel ever does.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 inferiorego  Staff

@inferiorego: The comic is as good as any comic story in any comic universe. The Wonderland stuff is better than anything DC or Marvel ever does.

Subjectiveness! As a fan of the original stories, the GFT books is blasphemy to me.

How angry were you when you typed that? I imagined you were really angry.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RazzaTazz

@inferiorego: They have branched out a lot from the original stuff into some pretty cool series. Also I am a fan of the original as well and I like this for what it is. That is like saying that you can't like Marvel's Thor because you are a Norse mythologist.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Wadyameen the blue elephant man can't have his own movie?

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 inferiorego  Staff

@inferiorego: They have branched out a lot from the original stuff into some pretty cool series. Also I am a fan of the original as well and I like this for what it is. That is like saying that you can't like Marvel's Thor because you are a Norse mythologist.

Again, it's subjective, and yes, that's part of the reason I don't like Thor.

You can like whatever you want. I'm not saying you're not allowed to like it. That would be silly... Please don't pull out my review from 5 years ago where I say the exact opposite.

I still like you though!

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

How about... Porkins and that Stormtrooper who hit his head?

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By RazzaTazz

@inferiorego: Oh yeah of course, just was saying you might give it a second chance.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By Mucklefluga

Jar Jar is the coolest! The king of bant.

Hermatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like to see a movie about the Mos Eisley Cantina band done "Almost Famous" style. A young reporter is hired to follow them on tour from planet to planet.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@xwraith said:

Wedge Antilles
Wedge Antilles

This, definitely.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 inferiorego  Staff

@inferiorego: Oh yeah of course, just was saying you might give it a second chance.

Maybe someday, when I come off my high horse.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@xwraith said:

Wedge Antilles
Wedge Antilles

This, definitely.

Originally, he was in the article along with a few others, but I had to cut back. RIP Wedge.

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By bladewolf
@kcvic said:
No Caption Provided

nuff said

My mom was actually good friends with the actor who played "Porkins." I'm not kidding.

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#39  Edited By GothamRed

@kcvic said:
No Caption Provided

nuff said

Nah...Porkins deserves a series!

QuantomMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By QuantomMan

@xwraith said:

Wedge Antilles
Wedge Antilles

This so much.

The Rogue Squadron books and comics are pretty much the best things in the EU as it is. They'd make perfect movies because the Rogues adventures cover just about every genre out there.

@kcvic said:
No Caption Provided

nuff said

LOL heck-freakin yea!. both of these and Storm Trooper who hits his head.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This. Cade would be cool awesome. We'd finally get to see a Jedi who isn't all stoicism, wisdom, and/or brood.

TheBlackHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TheBlackHood

I still think the best spinoff movie would be Tag and Bink! If there is anything in the expanded universe that deserves a spinoff movie its these guys.

I was going to link a picture but for whatever reason the button isn't doing anything.

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43  Edited By SavageDragon

Kir Kanos

The Last Imperial Guardsmen, highly trained killer obsessed with revenge.

@inferiorego The tales of the bounty hunter IG 88 story was insane! I read it as a kid and I remember thinking "Holy SH** this guy is literally about to take over the galaxy under everyones noses all from a garbage dump planet". I loved that story.

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

Wedge Antilles
Wedge Antilles

Totally agree...PLUS A BILLION!!!!!

The X-Wing series was, and still is, top notch!

@inferiorego Dash Rendar would be a great film. The Outrider was a sweet ship, and his crew was a great mixture of personalities. I must have played Shadows of The Empire a hundred times. The Battle for Hoth is one of my, still, all-time favorite gaming levels, as is the destruction of the space station at the end.

Avatar image for shallbecomeabattoo
Shallbecomeabattoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What??? Someone really wants to see a Yoda movie?!?!? Let me rephrase that... You want a movie, where the main character uses grammar like a slow 5 year old? Yodas bigger role in the prequels was horrible enough. Please, no more.

Avatar image for cassius_knightfall
Cassius_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

Wedge Antilles
Wedge Antilles

QFT

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 107

@xwraith said:

Wedge Antilles
Wedge Antilles

This

@kcvic said:
No Caption Provided

nuff said

This

@dondasch said:

Jedi Academy Trilogy, with Mara Jade, or nothing.

This

Kir Kanos

The Last Imperial Guardsmen, highly trained killer obsessed with revenge.

@inferiorego The tales of the bounty hunter IG 88 story was insane! I read it as a kid and I remember thinking "Holy SH** this guy is literally about to take over the galaxy under everyones noses all from a garbage dump planet". I loved that story.

This

I would like see him too

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 107

#48  Edited By StMichalofWilson

J.J Abrams was given some suggestions

Loading Video...

xP

Doomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deadpool no like Jar Jar:

No Caption Provided

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By kid Apollo

From Kashyyyk to Coruscant: a Wookies story. Chewbacca bio-pic.

Gangs of New Alderaan. a period piece featuring gangs lead by Rotta the Hutt and Raze.

Zero Dark Side Thirty. the inside story of the death of Palpatine.

Life of Ki. Ki-Adi-Mundi stuck ina space dingy with a wampa

The good, the bad and the scruffy. Han Solo- behind the scenes bio-pic

Jango Unchained. the early years of Jango Fett.

First Bacta. a tale about Dengar, the merc no one wants

Skywalker's List. good ole Anni hunting down the Jedi
ive got a bunch more but ill save em