From Comics to Film: What's an Acceptable Change?

• 110 results
RedLantern23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@tupiaz: In the film, they specifically say "one man running all of the crime in the city"

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tupiaz: In the film, they specifically say "one man running all of the crime in the city"

Yes. again logical it would be that each gang pays the Kingpin since nobody would could know everything there is to know. If somebody misstep then he will punish them.This is the way the comics and should have been portrait in the movie. Again it is a minor complain but Kingpin is very much a white crime lord. The style he has is very much that of a white crime lord typical seen with the mafia.

RedLantern23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By RedLantern23

@tupiaz: I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I just dont see how anything associated with Kingpin can be "typically white"

ravisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Duncan was perfect

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess anything goes -- and while there are a few characterizations which have grated (Rogue, Deadpool, Emma), I am developing a higher tolerance for how things are interpreted on screen. Or is that a lower expectation?

Either way, it's great movies based on comic characters are so successful, so I will take whatever I can.

Avatar image for comicbookfreak1618
comicbookfreak1618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I was disappointed with dead pool and the mandarin.First using Deadpool as a doll, so not cool, that defies his whole character profile,Deadpool is kinda crazy in a laid back way and kills for fun and is very worldly, I'd say the only thing they did right with Deadpool in the wolverine origins movie was that he was a talker, but it really pissed me off they stitched his mouth shut at the end. Second I can't deny that i laughed when i found out the mandarin was a complete hoax,but i was greatly disappointed afterwards for him being a cowardliness hobo, if they made him a real villain in that movie, I'd say the movie would've been another hour or so longer and it would have made all the other movies look like preschoolers. I didn't really care for the mistake on the silver samurai because the story line made it seem that Yashida was a perfect fit for the part of the silver samurai, although i hated the way Harada died ,he should've died a more heroic death.

clayscarface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm torn on basically all of these. Yeah, Deadpool was neat in Origins, but definitely was not Deadpool, and a waste of a character. The way Phoenix was handled in X3 was awful. The way the things were removed in The Wolverine was stupid. Mandarin was funny, but that certainly didn't change the fact that the rest of the movie sucked, and it really just added to the whole thing being gimmicky and cheap. The only one that I'm even remotely on board with from this list (aside from skin color changes because, who cares sometimes? though I'd argue that you can usually find a good enough actor who looks like the comic book images, but whatever), was the MoS controversy. It was directly related to the story and can directly correlate to characterization of Supes in future movies. None of these other changes have that same effect.

Lykida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great article, thank you.

Personally, I still get furious thinking about X-Men - The Last Stand. Starting with Jean killing Cyclops, his body just disappearing and nobody caring, this movie is a parade of wasted opportunities. I remember wanting to leave the theater at that point.

But anyway, I think you're absolutely right, that sometimes big changes are acceptable as long as they serve the story or tone of the movie.

I loved the twist in Iron Man 3 (found it quite hilarious actually) and though I'm not a Superman fan at all felt pretty alienated during the whole destruction in Man of Steel. It's always a bit of a thrill and to go see a new adaption of a beloved story or character.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 2

Nothing is acceptable. I demand that the movies just be pages of the comics being show to the audience.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Sigh.....
Sigh.....