From a film making standpoint isn't The Dark Knight...?

Derrick_nolan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Derrick_nolan

or any of nolan's trilogy far superior over any other comic book related movie? As a film fan Nolan's trilogy shouldn't even be considered in this 'comic book movie' genre because that would be a disservice to them. The dark knight is nothing short of a masterpiece, and let's just BB and TDKR aren't too far behind. Nolan changed the game by making a darker and more realistic tone. Which many comic book movies have now mimicked. When people bring comparisons of other comic book movies like say the avengers. The dark knight by many is considered one of the best movies of all time while the avengers is a very good comic book movie, and truly nothing more. Does a being a fan of marvel or dc affect your movie going experience?

reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.If it's enjoyable then I'll like it.I accept both Marvel and DC movies if it's done well in my eyes

Binski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a DC guy if I let Marvel affect my movie going experience I wouldn't be watching 90% of the comic book movies coming out today.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By Fallschirmjager

TDK is the best comic book movie ever yes.

And yes it is absolutely a comic book movie.

Comics come in all shapes and sizes. They have all types of tones and they tell all types of stories. Just because TDK isn't popping jokes every 2 minutes doesn't mean it isn't a comic book film.

If its based off a comic or has a comic character, its a comic book movie - period.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is very pretentious to claim that calling TDK a comic book movie is a 'disservice' to it. There is one critera to classify something as a comic book movie, that is whether the story is based off a comic book. Therefore, TDK is a comic book movie; so is Road to Perdition and A History of Violence.

And what the hell is wrong with the term comic book? If fans of comics are so ashamed of reading comics, they have to invent fancier names for them, maybe they should find some other hobby that will fit their 'upper-class' tastes better.

TDK trilogy isn't the first dark comic book movie and it certainly won't be the last. It can be argued that it does it better, but saying it 'changed the game' by making a dark movie based off a comic is just straight wrong. The movie was taking inspiration from decades of source material and it wasn't even the first movie based off a comic to be dark.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

No, because someone's opinion of a film - of any kind - is subjective.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator

For me, no. It is without a doubt, one of the greatest Comic-book, and one of the greatest overall movies of all time. Period. But - A History of Violence is my personal favourite, but that's actually in one of my top 10 favourite films of all time.

Derrick_nolan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip: When I say just a 'comic book' movie. I say it because they are greater than that, and are considered overall to be some of the greatest FILMS NOT COMIC BOOK FILMS, just overall films.

I mean obviously there is no denying it was based off of a comic book. Haha

Derrick_nolan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@battle_forum_junkie: To what extent is that true though? If you step and critically judge the godfather and movie 43. There is no doubt the godfather is a better movie, but what if someone said movie 43?

For example, I'll give you a sports analogy. The denver broncos are 13-3 and the jaguars are 3-13. Someone asks me who's better, and I say the jags because I like them more. This doesn't mean they are better. In fact, when you step back and critique each team you know that the broncos are a superior team.

Say you compare the avengers and the dark knight with these categories:

Acting

Plot

Score

Like I said dark knight is considered to be one of the best overall movies ever because of deep story, great acting, and impeccable score. Now someone comes along and they say they like avengers better and that's great, but it doesn't mean it's a superior film.

hyperbertha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah definitely its the best comic book based movie franchise. I mean those marvel based movies are a joke, if anything compared to Nolan's work.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say it is a comic book movie because not all comics have super powered beings that can fly and have super strength. And I would agree that it is the best one. The Avengers is definitely more fun to watch, but TDK is a better movie.

Avatar image for digitalshooter9
DigitalShooter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I totally agree with you... IDK about BB or TDKR(no denying they were amazing though) but TDK is more than just a superhero movie... It is a perfect crime fiction movie as well as a superhero movie masterpiece. You don't have to be a batman or joker fan to actually enjoy TDK... Anyone who has a SLIGHT interest in crime fiction or even superheroes will absolutely love TDK.. I believe it is leagues above the avengers in terms of movie quality and character development as well.. So yeah it really is the best superhero movie to date IMHO....

HempKnight757

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

TDK was a crime drama. Yes it is still considered a comic book movie because it does have Batman. Take away Ledger's performance & you are not left with much else. I certainly don't think it is the best comic book movie. I personally think we are still yet to see that. Also I am so tired of the statement that Nolan invited this "realism" to comics. Just like Zack Snyder Nolan does not get Batman & that clearly showed in TDKR.

HempKnight757

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@digitalshooter9: I don't understand why he have to compare TDK to Avengers just to crap on it. I will take the Avengers over Man of Steel & it's bull real world concept any day.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I do find Nolan's Batman to be superior to other CBMs. Mostly because they aren't chock full of product placement and songs by flavor of the month artists. I can't stand that kinda crap, takes me straight out of a movie.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Billy Batson

Nah, there have been better.

BB

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

The Dark Knight is not considered by many to be one of the greatest films of all time, it's one of the greatest CBM's of all time, but I think that people WAY overrate it's standing in movie industry today.

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a film fan Nolan's trilogy shouldn't even be considered in this 'comic book movie' genre because that would be a disservice to them.

Really he changed the comic book movie genre. Are there other genres mixed in? Yes. But it is primarily a comic book movie.

How is would that be a disservice to the movie?

comedy_brosUSA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By comedy_brosUSA

The Dark knight is probably the most popular Superhero movie. except TDKR made more money.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@derrick_nolan:

I think that the Avengers is the best comic book movie because it knows what it is. It didn't shy away fro the colourful source material (most cbm's are dark and gritty). It works for Batman but the when the X-men heroes and villains all wear black , it's difficult for common movie goers to distinguish who's on what side. I like Marvel and DC. I don't think Nolan's trilogy is superior. I just think they're different.

Derrick_nolan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Derrick_nolan

@hempknight757: "TDK was a crime drama. Yes it is still considered a comic book movie because it does have Batman."

Yeah it is definitely a comic book. Which is considered to be one of the greatest movies ever.

"Take away Ledger's performance & you are not left with much else."

Really this is possibly the stupidest argument I've ever heard.Why would you take away the best part of a movie? Yeah minus downey jr iron man is horrible. Sports analogy: Minus lebron james the miami heat are horrible. First of all this claim is ridiculous as there some of the greatest actors of all time in this movie. See gary oldman, morgan freeman, and michael caine. Not to mention, I COULD'VE gone a whole movie with two-face as the villain.

"I certainly don't think it is the best comic book movie. I personally think we are still yet to see that. Also I am so tired the statement that Nolan invited this "realism" to comics. Just like Zack Snyder Nolan does not get Batman & that clearly showed in TDKR."

In what way does Nolan not understand batman? Did you prefer bat nipples? Haha!

Derrick_nolan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People say that it's the best comic book movie ever because it doesn't really stand out in the major leagues of movies. I mean, when you have stuff like clockwork orange and the usual suspects it's not like you can do much in terms of amazing screenwriting when your source material is a guy dressed up in a suit and non exhistant gadgets.

Also, yes, it has all the hallmarks of a tipical comic book movies. The action is over the top, the twists are more important than the plot, the acting is over the top, the character are a little flat and the roles between good and evil are pretty clear.

Derrick_nolan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hempknight757: I was just giving an example. I loved the avengers, but from from a movie fans perspective the movie does not even step close to TDK territory.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25  Edited By youknowwhattodo

@youknowwhattodo: The movie is ranked number four all time on IMDB's top 250.

That's not an official ranking, it's an aggregate of user ratings. I mean Fight Club is ranked no. 10, I like the movie, it is not the 10th best movie and it is not better than Star Wars Episode V, or Citizen Kane, or Casablanca or Saving Private Ryan. Can't take that list too seriously....

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By joshmightbe

@rdclip: Its like when hipsters and yuppies call comics graphic novels, it lets them pretend to be less nerdy than us lowly comic fans while still enjoying the exact same medium.

Derrick_nolan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Derrick_nolan

@matteopg:

@matteopg said:

People say that it's the best comic book movie ever because it doesn't really stand out in the major leagues of movies. I mean, when you have stuff like clockwork orange and the usual suspects it's not like you can do much in terms of amazing screenwriting when your source material is a guy dressed up in a suit and non exhistant gadgets.

Also, yes, it has all the hallmarks of a tipical comic book movies. The action is over the top, the twists are more important than the plot, the acting is over the top, the character are a little flat and the roles between good and evil are pretty clear.

1) This movie is ranked ahead of usual suspect on IMDB. I agree both orange and usual suspects are GREAT movies, but you're missing my point. I'm saying that this movie is far more than just a comic book movie. And the screen writing was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING, and watching the movie ou don't think oh it's a guy in a suit. You think of Bruce Wayne and his character that is why TDK is unlike any other CBM. The action is over the top, REALLY? The acting is over the top, REALLY? You do know that heath got nominated for his role as the joker? The characters are a little flat and the roles between good and evil are pretty clear, REALLY?

I'm starting to wonder if you watched this movie?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

In my opinion, TDK is the best film based on a comic book character ever made.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip: When I say just a 'comic book' movie. I say it because they are greater than that, and are considered overall to be some of the greatest FILMS NOT COMIC BOOK FILMS, just overall films.

I mean obviously there is no denying it was based off of a comic book. Haha

Still, it comes off as you demeaning the genre.

Sure there is a lot of crap in the comic book movie genre. There's also a lot of crap in the sci-fi and horror genre, that shouldn't stop people from categorizing masterpieces like 2001 and The Shining in those genres, respectively.

Derrick_nolan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Derrick_nolan

@rdclip: I had no intention to do so. In fact, I say the same with horror genre which produces loads of crap each each year, but when I speak of the exorcist I think it shouldn't be thrown out as just a very good horror movie because it's more. It is a masterpiece and I'd say a top 100 movie of all time.

Derrick_nolan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@youknowwhattodo: While I've got to agree the list isn't totally 'reliable.' It does give you a reference on how "high" this movie is held up by not just fans, but also critics. I think few film fanatics would argue it's a masterpiece.

Derrick_nolan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Derrick_nolan

@saren: I definitely disagree, but you're entitled to your own opinion. Any reasons why you think it's the best comic book movie of all time.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@derrick_nolan said:

@battle_forum_junkie: To what extent is that true though? If you step and critically judge the godfather and movie 43. There is no doubt the godfather is a better movie, but what if someone said movie 43?

For example, I'll give you a sports analogy. The denver broncos are 13-3 and the jaguars are 3-13. Someone asks me who's better, and I say the jags because I like them more. This doesn't mean they are better. In fact, when you step back and critique each team you know that the broncos are a superior team.

Say you compare the avengers and the dark knight with these categories:

Acting

Plot

Score

Like I said dark knight is considered to be one of the best overall movies ever because of deep story, great acting, and impeccable score. Now someone comes along and they say they like avengers better and that's great, but it doesn't mean it's a superior film.

I see what you're saying, but that doesn't change the fact that it's based on someone's opinion. To them, Avengers may be the better film. But you can't really say Nolan's trilogy "far superior over any other comic book related movie", period. In your opinion it is, because the acting, plot and score where better, but others may not share your view of the film.

Personally, The Dark Knight is my favorite comic book movie( that I've seen ), bar none. But in someone else's opinion Man of Steel, for example, may be far superior. Maybe because they like Superman more than Batman. Their opinion may be biased but it doesn't change the fact that in their opinion Man of Steel is the superior film.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Begins > TDK > TDKR

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#38  Edited By TDK_1997

I consider The Dark Knight as one of the best movies ever,not just comic book movies but movies as a whole,from every genre.It is within my top 10 for favorite movies and I can't believe what a great job Nolan has done with the movie and the trilogy.For me no movie ever can surprass what The Dark Knight was and what it did to the idea of a comic book movie.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed Batman Begins and the Dark Knight, not so much the Dark Knight Rises. Nolan made the Bale Batman universe his own and enjoyable. I don't care so much whether a film is based loosely on arcs, because Avengers or any other Marvel weren't so much. Easter eggs are nice, but I prefer a little show to a nod/and "oh I get it."

RetconCrisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By RetconCrisis

TDK is still a CBM because there isn't a specific set up for a CBM. For example, Watchmen is a comic book movie but that was great as well, and it was dark and gritty, even more than Nolan's Batman trilogy.

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matteopg:

1) This movie is ranked ahead of usual suspect on IMDB. I agree both orange and usual suspects are GREAT movies, but you're missing my point. I'm saying that this movie is far more than just a comic book movie. And the screen writing was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING, and watching the movie ou don't think oh it's a guy in a suit. You think of Bruce Wayne and his character that is why TDK is unlike any other CBM. The action is over the top, REALLY? The acting is over the top, REALLY? You do know that heath got nominated for his role as the joker? The characters are a little flat and the roles between good and evil are pretty clear, REALLY?

I'm starting to wonder if you watched this movie?

I did, several times. Of course Ledger is different from the others, but come on the Batman voice? In what other movie would an audience accept that? Also Harvey Dent wasn't that good, he was very cartoony.

Also yes, the bad guys are evil for the sake of being evil. That's the definition of the Joker, so ok. But Dent? That's a very comic book motivation to become a bad guy. My fiancèe is dead, two cops did it. So cops are bad. I'm not saying it doesn't work in that movie, but it wouldn't work in any non-comic book good movie.

A lot of people actually say that Bale was a good Batman but a horrible Bruce Wayne, which means that the opinion that the Batman character was a little underdeveloped isn't complete bogus. But I liked how Alfred was portraied.

As a sidenote I would tell you that judging a movie by IMDB scores is not a very good debating technique. It's like judging art on Deviant Art based on the number of favourites...

I'm not saying that it wasn't great. It was. But a lot of that stuff would never be considered acceptable in a movie that didn't have the premise "this is taken from a comic book".
Stuff like guys with bombs strapped inside their flesh, bombs in every public office, kidnapping a foreign businessman and arresting him without incurring into some serious legal issues...
All these things are good for a Batman movie, but if it was, like somebody said "a great crime drama" the audience would just go "yeah, right":

But again, to each his own. I am just explaining in full why I disagree with the opinion that this is a masterpiece of cinema in general.

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since I consider the Dark Knight one of the worst movies out there (Although I do admit it is not as bad as Watchmen which is the worst super hero movie out there right next to catwoman and steel) no it is not even close to a masterpiece.

Derrick_nolan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matteopg: That's fair. The way harvey dent went from the 'savior' of gotham to evil was portrayed beautiful. Explored deep psychological themes of how even the best people can fall. The Joker wanted to prove that everyone is and truly can be evil, and he used harvey as his "ACE in the hole" because he was such a 'just' person. About how people don't always deserve truth because it can hurt them. That is what I mean by there was more than just a comic book film here. It was a CHARACTER DRIVEN CMB, for sure.

i'm not sure how not being acceptable in any type of movie degrades the greatness of the dark knight. It is in essence a CMB. I don't know too many who think that bale didn't portray both sides of the trilogy. When I see batman in this trilogy, I see bruce. For example, in the dark knight rises. When bane first meets batman in tdkr. I feel every hit that bruce takes, and I don't just see a guy in a bat costume. The whole trilogy feels like the journey of bruce wayne.

Derrick_nolan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

14NC3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

No.If it's enjoyable then I'll like it.I accept both Marvel and DC movies if it's done well in my eyes