#1 Posted by WildStyle (331 posts) - - Show Bio

So Mark Millar confirms Fox's plans to create their own shared movie universe. I've posted the more interesting quotes but you can read the whole article in the link below:

Of course, next up on the Fox Marvel slate is "The Wolverine" -- director James Mangold's adaptation of the classic Chris Claremont/Frank Miller comic that takes the man called Logan to Japan. While the film starring Hugh Jackman has been in production for months, Millar promised that it would play a pivotal role in the long term Marvel game plan. "I didn't work on 'The Wolverine' in a direct sense. There were about two months of 'Wolverine' shooting done when I got this job, but I've got a couple of ideas from it. The only guy I don't really know yet is James Mangold, and I wasn't involved in that screenplay -- though I read it and loved it. But the thing is, I felt like 'Iron Man' was really the beginning of something for the Marvel Studios movies, and 'The Wolverine' will be a similar starting point to build a lot off of for the Fox movies."

That idea will roll into "X-Men: Days of Future Past" when it starts production next year, and the writer said the change in roles behind the scenes for original "X-Men" director Singer and "X-Men: First Class" helmer/Millar friend Matthew Vaughn would allow for some fun twists to the formula. "Bryan's worked as a producer even on the X-Men movies that he didn't direct -- he was a producer on 'First Class.' So when Matthew decided he wasn't going to do the sequel, they just switched places with Matthew producing and Bryan coming on to direct. That's got nothing to do with me, but I'm delighted that Bryan and I will get to work together over the next few years. I've been working with Josh Trank on 'Fantastic Four,' and I have a lot of ideas of other places we can go with the characters Fox has the rights to."

Asked if there were any specific characters from the X-Men world that he'd like to get on the screen sooner rather than later, Millar did play a little shy, though he noted some obvious picks for longtime fans. "That's such a hard question to answer because all the characters I'd want to use, we're already planning on using in some way," he said. "I flew out to LA and talked to Fox, having a days worth of meetings to hammer out ideas. There's an amazing amount of potential in the X-Men universe. It's almost a Marvel Universe in itself in that you can build up to so many great stories and so many great characters. I hesitate to name names, but let's say that all the ones you like and everyone you'd expect, we'll have them. It's insane to have the crown jewel and not expect to wear them.

"You have to remember that Fox grabbed the X-Men back in the '90s because it was the biggest franchise in the world. So X-Force or Cable or Deadpool -- all these amazing characters are things we haven't really gotten to yet. 'X-Force' #1 was the second biggest book of all time behind Jim Lee's 'X-Men' #1, so there's an immediate brand recognition to that stuff and a build in fanbase. You go to any convention in the world, and you'll see 20 people dressed as Deadpool. In a lot of ways, these are Marvel's coolest characters, so I want to remind people of that and build on what we already have. I think there's a great foundation, and just from basic conversations, we've come up with ten movies we could do. These things cost $150 million each to make, so we have to pick and choose what we want to do."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=42105

#2 Posted by RedQueen (1171 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome news...I'm curious about the characters they're thinking of using; could we see Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver in the future? So many mutants that they could possibly use....what about X-23? This has actually got me pretty excited :D Strangely anticipating the Fantastic Four reboot as well, and hopefully we'll finally have Galactus/Dr Doom done right.

#3 Posted by Pwok21 (2111 posts) - - Show Bio

JUST GIVE THE RIGHTS BACK TO MARVEL.

YOU LOST FOX, THE X-MEN AND FANTASTIC FOUR MOVIES SUCKED.

---

On a serious note Mark Millar is a step in the right direction but still, Marvel is building a cosmic universe and they're going to need Galactus.

#4 Posted by kingjoeg (693 posts) - - Show Bio

Dont really care about fox doing a shared universe. The MCU with the avengers is the main one to me. This fox marvel is just the pepsi to disney 's coke marvel, the better one.

#5 Posted by CrimsonCake (2664 posts) - - Show Bio

This could be the start of a new mutant squad movie.

#6 Edited by SandMan_ (4526 posts) - - Show Bio

Just give it back to Marvel, Fox.

#7 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7118 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_ said:

#8 Posted by TheCannon (16077 posts) - - Show Bio

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

@SandMan_ said:

#9 Posted by FlashKnight (444 posts) - - Show Bio

This will be intersting as I'm not too well-versed in either X-Men or Fantastic 4, but I really think Fox should just give the rights back to Marvel. I'd be more interested if they tied this universe in with The Avenger's cinematic universe.

#10 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27379 posts) - - Show Bio

Cue a slate of mor- pepole wanting Marvel to have the rights back like thats the answer to everything >_> newsflash pepole even if Marvel did get the rights back they would never put this much effort in to the X-Verse. All they would do is add some mutant characters to the Avengers.

#11 Posted by GeorgeWashington (16 posts) - - Show Bio

Technically, I think they are trying to do that with the X-Men origins films. X-Men Origins: Wolverine was the beginning. They had plans to do a X-Men Origins Magneto or Deadpool or something. I don't know.

#12 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon said:

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

@SandMan_ said:

Please my heart can't take anymore....

#13 Posted by rico_3088 (485 posts) - - Show Bio

#14 Posted by cattlebattle (12275 posts) - - Show Bio
@SandMan_ said:

F--- this comment. X2 and X-Men First Class > than any Marvel studio film, IMO.
#15 Posted by RoyHarperBLOW (1491 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: MCU>X-Men First Class>All outside Marvel Studios movies.(Except The Amazing Spiderman 2012)

#16 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (4671 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCannon

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

@SandMan_ said:

This 4X
#17 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2519 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't mind the X-Men being separate from the Marvel movie universe, mainly because I always felt the idea of the X-Men always worked better in a world all their own. I don't have a problem with mutants in the Marvel universe, but I DO have a problem with the idea that they're all hated, usually anyway, while other heroes with powers aren't and somehow don't get NEAR the amount of hate mutants do. Spider-Man is a prime example of it. He's been hated, feared, and generally disliked by the people of Marvel's New York since he was created, a lot like mutants are/were. Yet most if not all other heroes were basically given free passes.

I mean, Thor for instance. He's an extremely powerful guy. Yes he's a Norse god and makes that fact VERY clear to people, but how many people would believe him? Wouldn't most people, unless Thor brought other Asgardians with him to Earth to back up his claim, think he was just a delusional mutant?

I get it's comics and sometimes you've got to turn off the old think cap, but it's pretty jarring. Granted it's a LOT better now since human/mutant relations are a lot better now, but the old concept of the X-Men don't work as well in a world full of NON mutant heroes with powers.

#18 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (11729 posts) - - Show Bio

Well.....atap least we don't have to worry about an AVX movie.

#19 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19489 posts) - - Show Bio

@rico_3088 said:

@SandMan_ said:

@Pwok21 said:

---

On a serious note Mark Millar is a step in the right direction but still, Marvel is building a cosmic universe and they're going to need Galactus.

THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN.

#20 Posted by Sufferthorn (1734 posts) - - Show Bio

Give the Fantastic 4/Silver Surfer back to Marvel so we can have them along with the Guardians of the Galaxy to fight Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet.

I don't care about the X Men right now.

#21 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5684 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCannon said:

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

@SandMan_ said:

Basically this.
#22 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27379 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

@rico_3088 said:

@SandMan_ said:

@Pwok21 said:

---

THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN.

Yea and what the'v spoken is wrong

#23 Posted by Pwok21 (2111 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous:

*Yeah and *they've; and also no it isn't wrong as it is an opinion which you cannot state is 'wrong'.

You can state that you feel it is wrong but to state that it is wrong is judging it by your standards which may be different to everyone else's.

The majority states that they should give the rights back to Marvel for good reason from past experience.

#24 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27379 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pwok21 said:

@Jonny_Anonymous:

*Yeah and *they've; and also no it isn't wrong as it is an opinion which you cannot state is 'wrong'.

You can state that you feel it is wrong but to state that it is wrong is judging it by your standards which may be different to everyone else's.

The majority states that they should give the rights back to Marvel for good reason from past experience.

Well yea, In my opinion it's wrong. Marvel have built up a huge brand with the Avengers, they won't be willing to put the same amount of effort in to the X-Men, we won't have anywhere near as many mutants show up in a Marvel X-Men film, if they had the rights back the best we could hope for is a few mutants show up in the Avengers films and thats it.

#25 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27379 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pwok21: also STOP correcting my spelling, it makes you look pretentious

#26 Posted by SandMan_ (4526 posts) - - Show Bio

Its like your opinion dude, we have ours...

#27 Posted by SandMan_ (4526 posts) - - Show Bio
@cattlebattle said:
@SandMan_ said:

What a hater....just as expected.
#28 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio

They try so hard... But they really should just stop right now.

#29 Edited by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

The only rights I'd like to be returned to Marvel are the Silver Surfer's and Galactus's.

I'll give Fox a chance with this. Now that they're actually taking things seriously with these movies, we'll be getting some good stuff. X-Men and FF are the last two properties I'd expect to crossover in a movie, but Millar is a talented guy, and I trust him.

#30 Posted by cattlebattle (12275 posts) - - Show Bio
@SandMan_ said:
@cattlebattle said:
@SandMan_ said:

Wait, wait,.......what?? I am suggesting that I like the X-Men films and no where do I state that I dislike the Marvel studio films. I just find the Fox adaptions to be better movies. Your comment is more suggestive of hate.
#31 Posted by SandMan_ (4526 posts) - - Show Bio
@cattlebattle said:
@SandMan_ said:
@cattlebattle said:
@SandMan_ said:

Wait, wait,.......what?? I am suggesting that I like the X-Men films and no where do I state that I dislike the Marvel studio films. I just find the Fox adaptions to be better movies. Your comment is more suggestive of hate.
Doesn't matter, you are a hater :P

Hating is in your blood.
#32 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

The characters that Fox can use are pretty limited, though... I mean, there are only so many recognizable X-Men, and the only other super group they have is the FF. They got Silver Surfer and Deadpool too, but why on earth would those two ever crossover?

#33 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

Well.....atap least we don't have to worry about an AVX movie.

THIS!

ahaha this idea of an Fox shared universe is kinda weird. we'll see... but does this include Fantastic Four? will they also be in this new shared universe?

#34 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jorgevy: They'd have to be, right? If it was just X-Men it'd be kind of stupid.

#35 Posted by cattlebattle (12275 posts) - - Show Bio
@SandMan_ said:
Doesn't matter, you are a hater :P  Hating is in your blood.
o__o.....I see...
#36 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

@Jorgevy: They'd have to be, right? If it was just X-Men it'd be kind of stupid.

with Fox? I have no clue... even stupid is quite possible

#37 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (5004 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_ said:

#38 Posted by SandMan_ (4526 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024 said:

The characters that Fox can use are pretty limited, though... I mean, there are only so many recognizable X-Men, and the only other super group they have is the FF. They got Silver Surfer and Deadpool too, but why on earth would those two ever crossover?

They can only do so much...
#39 Posted by Strider92 (15262 posts) - - Show Bio

All I have to say is Deadpool better in it god damn it!