• 60 results
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Hollywood Reporter announced recently that Fox's upcoming Batman prequel television series, Gotham, has cast a few actors to the roles of some unforgettable DC characters. Robin Lord Taylor, Zabryna Guevara, Sean Pertwee, Erin Richards, and Ben McKenzie have all signed on to do the television series which centers around James Gordon on the force and the weird world of Gotham around him.

From left to right: Robin Lord Taylor, Zabryna Guevara, Sean Pertwee, Erin Richards, and Ben McKenzie               Source: IMDB
From left to right: Robin Lord Taylor, Zabryna Guevara, Sean Pertwee, Erin Richards, and Ben McKenzie Source: IMDB

Actor Ben McKenzie has been tapped to play James Gordon. McKenzie is most known for his work on Southland and The O.C., but he also voiced the character Batman for the Batman: Year One video. Also announced was Robin Lord Taylor as a young Oswald Cobblepot. Taylor recently played Sam on an episode of The Walking Dead. Sean Perwtee has been cast as Alfred Pennyworth, the butler to the Wayne family. Pertwee is mainly known for his voice over work in video games and a few science fiction films he's appeared in. Erin Richards has been cast as Barbara Kean, a doctor who is engaged to Gordon. Lastly, Zabryna Guevara has been cast as Captain Essen, the rookie commissioner. She will most likely be Gordon's love interest, since in the comics, they had an affair and later were married for a brief amount of time.

This is some pretty big news for the upcoming series, seeing as a villain has finally been cast and the main star of the show. Other characters, such as Catwoman, The Riddler, and the Joker are also expected to appear, and the series will eventually end with Bruce Wayne becoming Batman, much like how Smallville ended with Clark becoming Superman. More casting and Gotham news as we find out.

Iron_Turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Iron_Turtle

That's a suprisingly solid cast. I'm impressed.

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By TheMantisShrimp

I don't know if I like the idea of some of these villains existing prior to Batman. I liked how Nolan discussed escalation at the end of Batman Begins and I think to a certain extent it makes sense that certain villains are active because of Batman's existence. I hope there is a good focus on organized crime in this show as opposed to Joker or Riddler type of mayhem, which I certainly don't mind seeing, I just wouldn't want it to overtake the show.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@themantisshrimp: well those pepole still existed, they just weren't known so this guy could easly bee Oswald Cobblepot but not the Penguin.

Anyway I love Pertwee so happy about that.

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheMantisShrimp

@jonny_anonymous, thats a great point, I didn't even think of that. It would make a lot of sense to display various villain's psychological state prior to Batman's existence.

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

I'm starting to really look forward to this now. Excellent cast.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Really curious for this series. Not a bad cast, not a bad cast.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rogueshadow  Moderator

Excellent.

I feel far more pumped for this than I did. Sean Pertwee is a fine actor, loved him in Dog Soldiers, Elementary and pretty much everything I've seen him in.

I'll say it again, excellent.

Red_Vibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Robin Lord Taylor definitely has the nose for Cobblepot it looks like. I think he will do well though. Might we get to see Dr. Kirk Langstrom in an episode maybe?

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I hope it's as good as Arrow, if it's at least better than Agents of Shield I'll definitely keep watching it. So far the casting is solid.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I was going to say what a bad choice for a penguin until I remembered it was a young version. At first I was against the Gordon casting but I might be coming around. I'm iffy on the Alfred casting. I'm trying to picture him older and it's just not sitting right with me.

Them having big names like Joker, Riddler, Catwoman could really be bad especially with the Joker. At least Catwoman and Riddler you could play off their life before they became who they were. Joker should not come on the scene until after Batman arrives and remain a mystery as to who he is.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So is Batman suppose to appear in this series?

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree Joker should be used sparingly. I thought Joker didnt exist until AFTER Batman, because of the chemical plant. As for his Red Hood time, I dunno. I rather no Joker at all.

I feel they dropped the ball though on the commissioneer. It should be that corrupt one.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@ccraft: just Bruce Wayne as a child

TommyJones1945

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TommyJones1945

@ccraft said:

So is Batman suppose to appear in this series?

Yes. As a young Bruce Wayne though.

SlamAdams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 58

#16  Edited By SlamAdams

The casting choices are interesting enough I suppose. I was hoping that Cobblepot would be Bruce's age though.

JV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By JV

There are a lot of people on this site that know more than I when it comes to the Comic Genre. But I really see DC/WB making a full throttle push with Arrow; Flash and Gotham. I watch Arrow regularly and I know the show has captured the attention of many "non comic" fans. If DC/WB can get a few more eyes on their shows as long as they are quality, it will go a long way.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

great casting, unlike that Batman/superman movie

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Nice. Can't wait to see it.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@jv said:

There are a lot of people on this site that know more than I when it comes to the Comic Genre. But I really see DC/WB making a full throttle push with Arrow; Flash and Gotham. I watch Arrow regularly and I know the show has captured the attention of many "non comic" fans. If DC/WB can get a few more eyes on their shows as long as they are quality, it will go a long way.

Yeah that's true and DC/WB have a rather rich legacy with putting their characters on TV (both live action/animation) so its a good thing and it will allow them to capture new fans while they make a slow process but hopefully good progress with their movies. And in some way TV is better as comic books sort of work like TV anyway.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

... Why do they have better casting directors on their TV shows than their movies?

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

great casting, unlike that Batman/superman movie

Actually I think Batman vs Superman has a pretty solid cast and since we haven't seen them in their roles yet, its better to wait and see.

EvilPenguin543

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Great casting. But even though it takes place in the past, McKenzie NEEDS to grow a 'stache in order for his take on Gordon to work.

MannEffest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By MannEffest

Ahhh, now this is fanatic casting compared to all the other casting new recently!! A breath of fresh air really. Although, I hope Ben can grow a proper Jim Gordon mustache haha. If they can hit the tone right, this will be a fantastic show!

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By MrMazz

It's more and more seeming like this is going to be a young Bruce Wayne helps out Gordon and dose Batman like things minus the Batman imagery and less of a Gordon working his way throuh the ranks series like the original press release indicated. Not surprising but originally Gotham sounded a lot like the GCPD series everyone ahd always seemed wishful for.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great casting. But even though it takes place in the past, McKenzie NEEDS to grow a 'stache in order for his take on Gordon to work.

He really doesn't, that mustache would look weak on him.

VoodooPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By VoodooPenguin

@ccraft said:

@evilpenguin543 said:

He really doesn't, that mustache would look weak on him.

He needs a goatee.

kaiklown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heres hoping its just as good or better then Arrow

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Excellent!! I can't wait till the show starts!

Master_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm sorry you can not have joker.... Unless its the last ep when Bruce Wayne finally is batman and stops his first bad guy

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if I like the idea of some of these villains existing prior to Batman. I liked how Nolan discussed escalation at the end of Batman Begins and I think to a certain extent it makes sense that certain villains are active because of Batman's existence. I hope there is a good focus on organized crime in this show as opposed to Joker or Riddler type of mayhem, which I certainly don't mind seeing, I just wouldn't want it to overtake the show.

This was exactly my main problem with Smallville. He fought nearly all of his major villains before he became Superman. I would have preferred the show created serious, long running antagonist out of a few 'meteor freaks'. Hopefully, this show doesn't make the same mistakes as smallville.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

dont know any of these people....

joyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ben mckenzie is a very good and underrated actor

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice.

dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm liking this more and more every day!

bunkerbuster05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dont know any of these people....

That's a good sign.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What age is Bruce Wayne supposed to be in this?

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This show might actually be good... McKenzie being the main reason I'll watch this.

PopRock123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a pretty great cast my hype for this show is slowly increasing . My only concern is how they are going to use the Joker

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dbatdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so far, impressive casting :)

Lee_Everett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh god, I thought this wasn't actually happening. I thought it was a joke.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Robin Lord Taylor as a young Cobblepot is probably the most perfect piece of casting I've ever seen. Look at the dude's face!

Alertcircuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this in the same universe as the movies? Sean Pertwee being Alfred and then abruptly switching to Jeremy Irons would be concerning.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By LyraFay

@alertcircuit: No, the head of Fox's Programming said they aren't connected to the movies.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

@alertcircuit: why would it be concerning? I've alwys wonders why/how people have problem with the representation of a single character by multiple actors sometimes at the sametime. Like c'mon this is driven from comics it's the kinda thing that should be sooo easy to except from the comic base.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I the only one who think Erin Richards and Zabryna Guevara's role should have been switched?