• 117 results
#1 Posted by BlueArrow (256 posts) - - Show Bio

First off, I think Jesse Eisenberg is a very talented actor and I enjoy a lot of his movies.

to understand my reasons you need to see Lex's character the way I see him (no that I see him better or worse then anyone else. The real reason that Lex hates Superman is that Lex has a superiority complex and all the aspects of his life are based around this.

Reason 1: Being Bald- Now I know some of you are saying, what does having hair or no hair matter to the character but Lex's baldness is a defining characteristic in why he has a superiority complex, when he was younger he felt inferior and embarrassed from his baldness and it is one of the defining reasons why he needs to make himself superior over everyone. Jesse would look terrible Bald.

Reason 2: Muscles- Lex has always been a very muscular guy and In many representations of Lex he is even shown as being more muscular the Superman (not stronger obviously). Lex makes himself extremely physically fit to help himself feel stronger and better then those around him. I cannot picture a ripped Jesse Eisenberg, it could be done, but It would feel weird to me.

Reason 3: Age- Lex should be an adult, he needs to be someone who owns a huge company, fought and done whatever he could to get rich and be an extremely successful businessman. Now I know that this could be done by a young adult as well ala Zuckerberg, but I feel he needs to be someone who has been rich for a while as to be trusted by many americans who will back against Superman, also I feel like someone who has just became rich could not dedicate their new life goal to destroying superman then someone who has been rich for a while and does not need to watch over their company as much any more

Reason 4: Speech- Lex has to be able to make loud boisterous speeches to the public, to superman as superman is almost defeated, hell he even became president. I don't think I could picture Jesse being loud or being on stage rallying an audience to vote for him or to join him against Superman. he would be the more cold calculating type who would quietly tell superman how he's defeated. Another version, but not how I picture Lex.

Once again I do like Jesse Eisenberg as an actor, and honestly, I think he could make a killer non goofy Riddler, or even a badass Calculator. But these are just my opnions, please be gentle.

#2 Posted by Wolverine08 (38938 posts) - - Show Bio

This movie is becoming odder and odder by each casting choice.

#3 Posted by HillbillyMorangie (927 posts) - - Show Bio

Hehe you need a reason? He really isn't a good choice.

#4 Posted by The Stegman (23203 posts) - - Show Bio

Four reasons why Jesse Eisenberg should be Lex:

1. Baldness. I'm gonna come out and say it, I hope he's NOT bald in the film. In the first Superman film, Lex wasn't apparently bald, if I recall he wore a wig until the end. I want this to be Lex just up and coming (in the spotlight anyway, obviously he's been around awhile) thus, i want him to have hair. It would also make for a better plot if he goes bald later thanks to something Superman did, it would make him hate the alien all the more.

2. Muscles: Lex is a businessman, Lex is a genius, Lex is a philanthropist and Lex is a criminal mastermind. None of that requires him to be Hulk Hogan. Look at Michael Rosenbaum, look at Gene Hackman, look at Kevin Spacey, NONE of them were overly muscular, after all, Lex's brain is his most powerful weapon, not his brawn.

3. Age: Henry Cavill is 30, Jesse Eisenberg is..omg, 30!! They'll be more or less the same age, just like the comics. Just cause Jesse looks young, doesn't mean he's a 15 year old boy. We've already seen Lex old in every film role, having a young, cocky, brash Lex will fit having a young, brash, unsure of himself Superman, they parallels will be more interesting than "Old billionaire doesn't trust alien" plus, we might already be seeing that with Bruce Wayne.

4. Speech: Lex is a smooth talker, he's manipulative, clever and charming in a way, one doesn't have to have a low, deep voice to get that acroos. Jesse can be a fast talking, slick almost used car salesman type Lex. One who can get the public to rally behind him with his youth and charm, especially a public who has just been hurt by the damage done to Metropolis by to angry aliens. He can be the hero that Metropolis thinks it needs.

Plus, Jesse is used to being deceitful in his speeches.

Jesse can be a great Lex, if done right.

#5 Posted by danhimself (22305 posts) - - Show Bio

This image defies all of your reasons

#6 Edited by RustyRoy (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

This. When this movie was announced, I was never excited about a movie like this before, this was a dream come true for me, two of the biggest Icons on the Big Screen together for first time. But I'm loosing my interest with each announcement they make. I feel like they're gonna screw up the most anticipated movie of my life.

And I'm not saying Jesse is a bad actor, I love him but he doesn't have the maturity, voice, presence or the intimidation that Lex needs, I don't care how great an actor he is, but I don't see him as Lex.

#7 Posted by RustyRoy (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

And about the age, doesn't matter if he's 30, he looks like 23-24.

#8 Edited by Dragonborn_CT (20829 posts) - - Show Bio

At this point, the Heath Ledger's argument feels more and more hollow...

#9 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11147 posts) - - Show Bio

Anti-MOS casting is about as common on the main page now as off-topic and battle threads. CV should make a "If you hate the casting of a movie post here" board.

@the_stegman: This gif = you after this post. applauds

#10 Posted by RogueShadow (10044 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: I watched all of those clips and it's like I said in another thread, whenever I watch Jesse Eisenberg play a character they are all exactly the same.

Also, can people stop doing all of the threads on this and just choose one to discuss it on? It would be easier.

#11 Edited by Cloakx14 (2467 posts) - - Show Bio

I think as long as they keep him as the evil manipulative genius it will be ok. @The Stegman i do agree with the part about superman causing him to go bald.

#12 Posted by Wolverine08 (38938 posts) - - Show Bio

At this point, the Heath Ledger's argument feels more and more hollow...

This too. Every time an iffy casting decision comes about, people start casually name dropping Heath.

#13 Posted by Lvenger (18468 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: Eisenberg plays the same character over and over again in his roles for the most part. Tell me any role of his that demonstrates he can pull off Lex's stage presence, his sadistic sociopathic mentality, his villanous complexity that he's deceived himself into thinking that he's doing the right thing for humanity. Lex is an incredibly deep character and Eisenberg does not simply have a deep enough reportoire in his roles thus far to justify being able to play Lex well. The scene from Now You See Me is also lacking in a great deal of characteristics that make Lex the great character he is. Within this context, it is entirely justifiable to question, criticise and to point out the bad calls Warner Bros are making and I won't stop doing that just because you think it's getting old. I at least have solid reasoning backing up my arguments which you'd have to disprove to counter my points.

@rustyroy said:

@wolverine08 said:

This. When this movie was announced, I was never excited about a movie like this before, this was a dream come true for me, two of the biggest Icons on the Big Screen together for first time. But I'm loosing my interest with each announcement they make. I feel like they're gonna screw up the most anticipated movie of my life.

And I'm not saying Jesse is a bad actor, I love him but he doesn't have the maturity, voice, presence or the intimidation that Lex needs, I don't care how great an actor he is, but I don't see him as Lex.

QFT

#14 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14587 posts) - - Show Bio

They clearly meant Heisenberg was casted, it was a typo people. Put it together!

#15 Posted by Outside_85 (8179 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. He can have his head shaved or wear one of those concealing pieces of rubber that makes him look bald if he is hat attached to his curls.
  2. Gal Gadot is hitting the gym for her part as WW, so why not Eisenberg.
  3. Dont see the problem here, Lex has always been more brilliant than his age suggested and if I am not mistaken, the pre-Flashpoint version of him created/came into control of LexCorp at a very early age.
  4. Most actors can adjust the pitch of their voices in order to fit the lines they have to speak.

Btw, considering your 'beefs' with the casting, would you/anyone else have been more pleased with this guy as Lex?:

I mean, he's big, he bald and he has a voice that makes people follow.

#16 Posted by The_Comebacks (169 posts) - - Show Bio

I would have not rather seen Michael Rosenbaum as Lex over Jesse Eisenberg. I see Michael as much more menancing.

#17 Posted by Experio (14333 posts) - - Show Bio

My hype for the Mos2 film dropped as soon as Gal was casted as Wonder Woman so this doesn't matter to me.

#18 Posted by wildvine (8429 posts) - - Show Bio

This image defies all of your reasons

Made me think of this.

#19 Posted by ImTheDamnBatman (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: Yeah, no. If Superman is talked down by a "sinister" man-child with the face and voice of a prepubescent teenager, it would not be Lex Luthor at all. I understand directors can take certain liberties, but at what point does the original character become a completelt different one that only shares the name?

While I'm here, I might as well throw out the rest of my gripes.

Lex Luthor needs to be fit. He is the embodiment of what humans are capable of. That's the whole POINT of his adversary to Superman, he wants to prove the human race doesn't need some alien to come and rescue them. Having a physique that intimidates is a part of that.

He has NO experience in films that suggest he has any sort of range of acting. "OH BUT THE SOCIAL NETWORK"

Yeah? He did well in that movie BECAUSE THAT'S ALL HE'S CAPABLE OF PLAYING. He has literally no other movies that he can even remotely receive praise for. He's an accomplished actor, but in a very small range and has little talent.

#20 Posted by KingAres109 (1252 posts) - - Show Bio

You know I was brainstorming and thought,who can play Lex??And being the jokster I am said maybe Samuel Jackson..Lol

#21 Posted by ImTheDamnBatman (3548 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32882 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: Yeah, no. If Superman is talked down by a "sinister" man-child with the face and voice of a prepubescent teenager, it would not be Lex Luthor at all. I understand directors can take certain liberties, but at what point does the original character become a completelt different one that only shares the name?

While I'm here, I might as well throw out the rest of my gripes.

Lex Luthor needs to be fit. He is the embodiment of what humans are capable of. That's the whole POINT of his adversary to Superman, he wants to prove the human race doesn't need some alien to come and rescue them. Having a physique that intimidates is a part of that.

He has NO experience in films that suggest he has any sort of range of acting. "OH BUT THE SOCIAL NETWORK"

Yeah? He did well in that movie BECAUSE THAT'S ALL HE'S CAPABLE OF PLAYING. He has literally no other movies that he can even remotely receive praise for. He's an accomplished actor, but in a very small range and has little talent.

You do know that Lex used to be fat right?

#24 Edited by JediXMan (29675 posts) - - Show Bio

This movie is worrying me more and more each day.

#25 Posted by ImTheDamnBatman (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: Used to. And TBH, if they had chosen someone fatter I would have understood, because we know what incarnation they're using.

Now, if you can show me an incarnation where he looks 15 and is super scrawny and nasally, I'll shut up and say Eisenberg is perfect. Can you imagine him in the freaking Power Suit? Didn't think so.

#26 Edited by SheenLantern (6257 posts) - - Show Bio

Reason 1: He's not Bryan Cranston.

Reason 2: He's f***ing awful.

Reason 3: I hate him.

Reason 4: Aaagghh

#27 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32882 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: Used to. And TBH, if they had chosen someone fatter I would have understood, because we know what incarnation they're using.

Now, if you can show me an incarnation where he looks 15 and is super scrawny and nasally, I'll shut up and say Eisenberg is perfect. Can you imagine him in the freaking Power Suit? Didn't think so.

You cant look nasally also you ever heard of the gym? You know, with weights and stuff?

#28 Posted by ImTheDamnBatman (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: It's was a mistake in my sentence structure. You know what I meant.

The gym? For that kid? No. Hitting the gym for two years doesn't automatically make anyone appear that much stronger. Eisenberg doesn't have the structure for it. He is not broad shouldered, he is not tall, and it's apparent that, like me, his metabolism is too high to really gain signifigant weight. He doesn't fit.

#29 Posted by Dernman (14775 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:
@rustyroy said:

But I'm loosing my interest with each announcement they make.

QFT

Let me repeat this QFT. I lost so much interest I'm finding it harder to discuss these bad decisions.

#30 Posted by JonSmith (3990 posts) - - Show Bio

From what I've seen of Eisenberg since the casting was announced (and given that I've never seen him in a movie since I only watch comic book movies) he doesn't strike me as Lex Luthor. Now that isn't a knock against him at all: Ledger didn't look like Joker. So purely on merits of his physical appearance, I don't care. He DOES look a little young, but whatever.

My problem with him is how fast he talks. In both of the above clips, he speeds through his lines as fast as he can, trying to squeeze a lot of dialogue into very little time. Yeah, he's gloating like Lex would gloat. He sounds smart like Lex should. What's absent is the relish. The tone. Lex doesn't speed through his lines. He doesn't hastily run through how he's screwed you, he says it slowly, clearly, proudly, so there is no confusion or chance you missed EXACTLY how f***ed you are.

I haven't seen that from Eisenberg in the above clips.

#31 Posted by StrangeMan (407 posts) - - Show Bio

This is why it's absolutely retarded to complain about casting choices. You know what's the job of an actor? To become someone else entirely, so who is to say that Eisenberg can't become a fairly good version of Luthor? I mean, I don't know if he can do it, but that's the point, I DON'T KNOW, to simply assume that he flatout CAN'T just because he never played a role similar to Luthor is simply idiotic, because it's his JOB, many actors often play the same role over and over again because the audience happen to really like that persona, but the thing you should never forget is that in many cases THAT'S NOT ALL THEY CAN DO, are they able to do more than just that role over and over again? Some are, some aren't, but in the case of Eisenberg I won't let my ignorance lead me to abrupt annoying fanboy assumptions because his career started way before The Social Network, so it's safe to assume he can do more than just one role.

It really doesn't matter who they choose to play whom by now, people will always find a reason to bitch about.

#32 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

@bluearrow:

1. Baldness: I don't know how we can really judge that Jesse would "look terrible bald" at this stage of the game. Luthor hasn't always been bald anyway, though I do agree that it's become a defining character and I would prefer to have him be bald in the movie. I just don't see any reason why Jesse Eisenburg with a shaved head can't fit the bill.
  2. Muscularity: Lex hasn't always been portrayed as a muscular individual, and I sort of prefer that he isn't, I like a Luthor who is 100% intelligence. That being said, Jesse can bulk up anyway, as every actor for every superhero role has done. Gaining muscle really isn't that hard.
  3. Age: Jesse is thirty.
  4. Speech: Mmm... maybe. Jesse has a lot of versatility as an actor, I think, but he's never a role that required him to be particularly imposing before, really... I think he's capable of pulling it off, in all honesty, and as far as speech goes, voice can be altered.
#33 Posted by ImTheDamnBatman (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

@strangeman: Just because it's his job doesn't mean he can do it well.

Affleck was good I think.

Gadot, I'm not so sure. But I liked Cavill and I didn't know him, so I won't judge her just yet.

Irons was cast great.

Eisenberg, I know. I've seen his "best" movies and know just what he's capable of. He's a fast talking, nasally, man-child that lacks ANY intimidation. That really isn't something he can convey. The "menacing" speech everyone keeps posting from Now You See Me, isn't menacing at all. It sounds like prepubescent teen trying to sound tough. My friends and I were actually laughing about how he was attempting to sound sinister, when in reality he's just a douche we'd punch in the face.

#34 Posted by ImTheDamnBatman (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

@imagine_man15: (1) I don't care if he's bald or not.

(2) Lex can either be buff or fat, he is not a slope shouldered scrawny person.

(3) But he has the face of a 15 year old so it doesn't matter.

(4) He has zero versatility as an actor. Where did you even gather that idea?

#35 Posted by Commander_Kane (715 posts) - - Show Bio

"Brian Cranston Brian Cranston Brian Cranston".blah blah blah. We don't need to see him plsy Heisenberg twice.

Jessie is Lex, we cant do anything about it. We have not the slightest idea how these characters will be introduced, portrayed, or what necessary steps theyre going to take to prepare for their roles. How about we all just wait and see what happens before we start telling people who are gifted in their profession, what they can or cant do?

#36 Posted by Black_Claw (2919 posts) - - Show Bio

@commander_kane: This is what I've been saying ever since Ben was cast as Batman. It's going to be a long two years.

#37 Edited by StrangeMan (407 posts) - - Show Bio

@imthedamnbatman: So you basically saw all the movies where he plays the same role he did in The Social Network and just assume he can't do anything else, nice.

You don't know if he can do the part, I don't know, none of us do, let's just hope he can

#38 Edited by ImTheDamnBatman (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

@strangeman: What other movies are there where he doesn't play some sort of fast talking geek? Enlighten me.

No, I know he can't plax Lex as Lex is. They will have to create a new Lex to suit him.

#39 Edited by StrangeMan (407 posts) - - Show Bio

@imthedamnbatman: I literally said that I don't know much about the guy in the first post, seriously dude, take a moment to finish reading before replying.

Again, I don't know if he can play the character, no one does, just because he hasn't played a character similar to him doesn't mean he can't, there's been countless actors who have surprised everyone by playing a role out of their comfort zone, I just don't let anger and dissapointment take over me and say that Eisenberg can't join all those countless actors just because he wasn't my choice for the part.

#40 Posted by ImTheDamnBatman (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

@strangeman: Lmao, what? If you haven't seen his other movies, why are you judging my critique? I've seen his movies. I know how he acts.

And yes, I know for a fact he cannot play Luthor. Do yourself a favor and stop trying to justify this.

#41 Posted by StrangeMan (407 posts) - - Show Bio

@imthedamnbatman: I'm sorry, it's just hard to believe you've seen his movies when the only ones you are able to mention are The Social Network and Now You See Me.

But ok, I believe you, you must have some kind of omniscience to know for a solid and absolute fact that he cannot in any way shape or form play Lex Luthor, even though the movie comes out two years from now.

#42 Edited by Manwhohaseverything (1839 posts) - - Show Bio

I love this. Mainly because most folks think it's bad, and in my experience, most people are usually wrong. I remember hearing how bad Downey Jr and Ledger would be, (I was on the Ledger will be a horrible Joker bandwagon, and I can tell you I was not alone.) and how awesome of an Elektra Jennifer Garner would be.

#44 Posted by ImTheDamnBatman (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

@strangeman: It's not omniscience. It's common sense. Eisenberg cannot play Luthor as he stands. Can he play THEIR Luthor? Probably. But their Luthor is going to suck.

#45 Posted by SOG7dc (6713 posts) - - Show Bio

Uh huh. And nobody wanted heathe ledger as joker either. For goodness sakes can we watch the movie and THEN judge it?

#46 Posted by ImTheDamnBatman (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: So one actor that did well despite everybody hating the casting justifies this? I can give you a handful of actors that were hated as they were casted, and did terrible. The Ledger argument is a joke.

#47 Edited by SOG7dc (6713 posts) - - Show Bio

@imthedamnbatman:

My argument is that you can't judge something you haven't experienced. Do you disagree?

#48 Posted by ccraft (5077 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: Those are really good arguments for why Jesse could be a great Lex, you just made me more trusting in Snyder's decision.

#49 Edited by ImTheDamnBatman (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: Yes. I haven't been shot. I'm pretty sure that's painful, though.

I've seen Eisenberg in about 4 films now, and I hated him in all except The Social Network.

#50 Edited by SOG7dc (6713 posts) - - Show Bio

@imthedamnbatman:

....you're comparing being shot to an actor playing a role? Solid argument brah