Four Characters We Want To See Return To The DC Universe

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Those who have been reading comic books for a long time may have some strong feelings about the way things have changed over the years, and we don't mean just recently in the last two. Since the New 52, and even a bit before then, there have been characters that maybe made an impact on you as readers that you maybe really fell in love with, but haven't heard or read about in a very long time. Since the reboot of the DC Universe many recognizable characters have been missing from the pages of some of our favorite DC comics like Cassandra Cain, Wally West, Donna Troy and Stephanie Brown. Yet, there are plenty of other characters who are just as memorable that we miss very dearly and would love to see appear in comics once again. We've compiled a rather short (and incomplete) list of characters we would love to see return to the DC Universe below, the first being Ragman.

No Caption Provided

Ragman

It was not until the late 70's and early 80's that there was a serious shift in comics. Before this time, characters were wholesome, sometimes campy: but there was a definite change in the types of characters that really interested readers. The shift was to darker characters with more somber, tragic stories. These were the kinds of stories readers were looking for. Enter Ragman in late 1976, a character whose origins were born out of the cold-blooded murder of his father. The original Ragman was created by comic creators Joe Kubert and Robert Kanigher, but as time went on the character evolved. Following his 1991 short-lived series, the character underwent some serious changes which included his change in powers: he was given a costume that allowed him to absorb the souls of his victims, turning said soul into a rag patch.

No Caption Provided

At his core, Ragman is a pretty interesting character. Not only does he have a tragic origin story (which always makes for tortured characters), but his special abilities are also rather unique. Ragman is able utilize the physical powers he has absorbed from the souls that make up his suit, making him incredibly versatile. As a result, he has an array of different powers at his disposal at any given time which would certainly give him an advantage in a confrontation. His most recent costume design is also pretty neat: his face is covered and shrouded in a hood so his enemies can only really see his eyes. Aside from his solo series, Ragman has also made appearances in Batman comics (going so far as to save the 'Caped Crusader' at one point). The character most recently appeared in 2009/2010 during the Battle for the Cowlstory arc and later in Blackest Night, but both appearances were very brief and hardly memorable. We, however, think he would be a great choice to return to the new DC universe. Ragman is interesting because he teeters the line between dark, grim and mysterious and the supernatural; meaning he could fit very well with characters like John Constantine. Ragman would also make an interesting addition to the current BATWOMAN series which has dealt with many supernatural elements whilst managing to maintain a connection to a dark, grim and a story relatively grounded in reality. The two would, in fact, make a rather interesting pair being as how both are loosely affiliated with Batman but don't quite mesh with that part of the DCU perfectly.

Renee Montoya

Renee Montoya, hard-nosed Gotham PD cop, partner to Harvey Bullock was first created for Batman: The Animated Series. Yet, Montoya would not be contained to merely the B:TAS universe and would go on to transcend mediums, becoming a staple in DC comics and serving a very important role in the '52' story arc. But let's go back a little bit. Renee Montoya's character first appeared in BATMAN #475 in 1992. Montoya began making appearances in the series more frequently, but it wasn't until the 200's where she fell under the pen of writer Greg Rucka who really made her a staple in his DETECTIVE COMICS series. Rucka launched Montoya's character into being one of the most prominent homosexual and latina characters in comics, giving her an edge few other female characters had and allowing her to take a more prominent role in important story arcs like No Man's Land and Bruce Wayne: Murderer. The stories were grounded in realism and really fed off the notion of Batman as this detective, something that allowed Montoya (a human without super powers and also a detective) to shine quite a bit.

No Caption Provided

Montoya went on to team up with Vic Sage, The Question, in the 52 story arc, eventually taking on the mantle for Vice following his tragic death. Prior to the New 52 Montoya had established an ongoing and rather serious relationship with Kate Kane, Batwoman. The two were romantically linked up until the launch of the New 52. Now, Montoya has been missing from the pages of DC's comics, appearing only briefly in a photograph on the walls of the Gotham Police Department and no real mention has been made of her. This begs the question, did the romance between Kate and Renee actually happen, or was it ret-conned from Kate Kane's character? And if so, why? Renee Montoya was well liked by readers, she was interesting, strong and there are few characters like her. She could very easily return to the BATMAN series as a member of Commissioner Gordon's police force, or any number of other Bat-related titles. Additionally, there's no real reason why she can't make an appearance in BATWOMAN, is there? Regardless, she is a character that could have very easily brought over into the New 52 and we hope to see that happen.

Richard Dragon

Speaking of Renee Montoya reminds us of the man who trained her to become a better fighter : Richard Dragon. Richard Dragon first appeared in RICHARD DRAGON, KING-FU FIGHTER #1 in 1975. Dragon's character was created by writer Dennis O'Neil and Jim Berry and was inspired by the popularity of Kung-Fu at the time, and although he never became very popular, he has been central to developing some very interesting characters in comics.

No Caption Provided

Dragon's character is considered to be one of the greatest martial artists in the DC Universe and he has trained a very long list of characters: from Dick Grayson and Barbara Gordon to Renee Montoya and even Bruce Wayne. Dragon's character became an important "second tierer" because he helped mold and influence some of the most powerful fighters in the DC Universe, and there are few characters like him. It would be great to see Dragon return and demonstrate his full abilities by taking on some students. After all, where did so many of these DC heroes go for training? It would be great to delve into the training of characters like Nightwing, for example, particularly since there is already an established connection between his character and Lady Shiva's, one of Richard Dragon's rivals.

Jade

No Caption Provided

One character that had become a major player just prior to the launch of the New 52 was Jade. The daughter of Green Lantern Alan Scott and Rose Canton, Jade was born with the power of the Starheart (which is why her skin and hair are green). She too eventually became a Green Lantern in her own right, becoming the first female Green Lantern from Earth (even if it was only for a short time). Although she did become a Green Lantern, her powers are like her father's in that with the 'star heart' she never has to recharge her ring and can create green power constructs like any Green Lantern. Jade has appeared in 'Infinite Crisis' and 'Blackest Night,' where she was resurrected from the dead to torment her former lover, Kyle Rayner. Jade went on to return in Brightest Day and was made an important character in the JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA series, written by James Robinson. The series drew on the relationship between Jade and her brother Obsidian as well as their respective relationship with their then father, Alan Scott. What was most interesting, however was the fact that Jade was written as a leader and a very interesting character, but this only lasted until DC's Flashpoint series which led to the re-boot of the entire universe. Since the previous JUSTICE LEAGUE series Jade is nowhere to be seen. Yet, she was interesting, so could she possibly return? Well, that's tricky.

No Caption Provided

If you've been reading the current EARTH 2 series then you know that Alan Scott has been a prominent character in that book. You likely also know that Robinson has changed a few things about Scott's character that make it a bit more difficult for Jade to exist. Essentially, now that Alan Scott's character is gay, there's a lot less of a chance that Scott ever engaged in a relationship with Rose Canton (Jade's mother), although it isn't entirely impossible. So does this mean that in order to bring Jade into the fold her ties to the Earth 2 Green Lantern Alan Scott must be severed? Not necessarily. Who is to say that Alan Scott didn't adopt a young daughter who just so happened to also have been affected by the Starheart? It's not an impossible notion, right?

There are many characters that have yet to make an appearance in the new DC Universe, and we've listed only a few of the many we would love to see make their return, but what about you? What characters would you like to see return to the DC Universe and how do you think they could be fit in? Let us know in the comments below!

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Wally West and Donna Troy!

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'll take Wally West.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By ccraft

A woman question is lame, especially what my sister told me of her. Other than that idk who the other 3 are.

hyperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Maxima!!!!

Akindoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I was just wondering where Ragman was a couple of days ago. I'd love to see him again, maybe on the JL Dark like you said. Most missing characters seem to be Legacy babies. Gimme WALLY and TROY and CAIN and BROWN.

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#6  Edited By x_29

She Hulk was a green lantern?

ovidkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ovidkid

Cassandra Cain, Stephine Brown, Wally West and Donna Troy

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

Donna Troy, Mia Dearden, Stephanie Brown, Wally West, Miss Martian

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

I didn't realize how much I missed Renee until this article..

goes off to read 52

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

Glad to see some love for Montoya. Miss her big time. I wish she had gotten more time as Question and maybe joined the Birds of Prey for a while to give herself a chance to shine.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@ovidkid said:

Cassandra Cain, Stephine Brown, Wally West and Donna Troy

This.

Jade is the only one on the original list I would really care about (and Obsidian. He wouldn't need to be in much, just exist & be Jade's brother. I don't have a problem with this Allen Scott, but he's virtually a different character. Same with Jay. I liked that the JSA (the orig. members) were older because they were grandparent figures for the younger (or even middle-aged) heroes.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

Hmm, oh I dunno how about the entire JSA as they were before the reboot? Too much to ask? Tough that's what I want. Also Jade has to come back and if they DARE try to tie her into the character ruining Earth 2 then I've lost ALL faith in DC. Renee better come back too, she was awesome as The Question!!!! I mean since all their doing with Vic is have him as some random cosmic being now, looks like Renee is gonna get The Question legacy all to herself now

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chris Kent

maxicere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By maxicere

I want all the original DC characters back. I hate New 52

mcbean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love to see Ragman or Jade come back.

the_fallen11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wally West, Azrael (Jean-Paul Valley)

ravisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wally west

doomsday

aqualad

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Connor Hawke

hyperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Miss Martian!! =D

Am I the only one who's not missing Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown?????

Aeroman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wally west, donna troy, jade, renee montoya, obsidian, wildcat, cyclone, damage, Doctor Mid-nite, hourman, Jakeem thunder and thunderbolt, Jesse chambers, starman, thunder, lightning, the ray

Duo_forbidden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 604

User Lists: 8

Besides the obvious characters (Cassandra Cain, Stephanie Brown, Wally West, Donna Troy) out of this list, I would love to see Renee back. That woman deserved a series before the New 52.

Suprman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Bring back Wally. I'd be ok with Donna coming back if her backstory would stay to one backstory

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

For as much as I love characters like Stephanie Brown, Wendy Harris, Cassandra Cain, or Phantom "drown a man with her bare hands" Lady I just don't have any faith in the current DC to not completely mess those characters up and give them to Scott Lobdell.

Trevel8182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Tim Drake should be on this list.

bob808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Jade

DocFishstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DocFishstick

great job sara ragman would be cool to see.

Mandrewgora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So glad to not see the usual suspects on this list, I'm so sick of people begging for them.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#28  Edited By RazzaTazz

18% of same sex male couples in the USA have children under the age of 18. I would not say that being gay would be a problem for Alan Scott having children, more so that he is now young. Even if he is 30 (he doesnt look like he is as old as 30 in the comics) then that makes it somewhat difficult (unless they made her somewhat younger)

akawiccan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wally West, Donna Troy, Mia Dearden, Stephanie Brown, Tommy Jagger, Sasha Bordeaux, Scandal Savage, Chloe Sullivan (well, I really liked her short DCU appearance), Obsidian, Catman, Helena Bertinelli, King Chimera, Sebastien Mallory, Zachary Zatara, Plastique, Rudy Jones, Livewire, Sandy Hawkins, Cameron Mahkent, Owen Mercer, Snapper Carr ... hell, DC ... just change your stupid reboot back to "normal".

I really was into DC comics until the reboot. Some of these characters are not the characters I used to love. Look at Raven, Wonder Girl, Beast Boy ... the list goes on and on ... I would give so much for getting the old New Earth universe back ...

wessaari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

Donna Troy, Mia Dearden, Stephanie Brown, Wally West, Miss Martian

this

grenade728

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By grenade728

Jade!!!!!!!

vortex1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By vortex1212

Bring me Jean-Paul Valley and have the Eradicator in his "human" form show up and I'll be happy.

ClawFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm, oh I dunno how about the entire JSA as they were before the reboot? Too much to ask? Tough that's what I want. Also Jade has to come back and if they DARE try to tie her into the character ruining Earth 2 then I've lost ALL faith in DC. Renee better come back too, she was awesome as The Question!!!! I mean since all their doing with Vic is have him as some random cosmic being now, looks like Renee is gonna get The Question legacy all to herself now

I had to look this up on a wiki just now........WTF?!?! COME ON DC!!!

Avatar image for timelordscience
TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TimeLordScience

@ccraft said:

A woman question is lame, especially what my sister told me of her. Other than that idk who the other 3 are.

You shouldn't judge if you haven't read things with her -__-

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

YES TO ALL OF THESE.

I swear, it feels like I wrote this.

queenfrost_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By queenfrost_

No love for Cassandra Cain? Stephanie Brown?

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I have another one for the list. How about bringing back the real Catwoman and get rid of Nocenti's BATMAN RETURNS rip-off.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40  Edited By longbowhunter

Great article! Aesthetically I love Ragman even though I've read so few of his exploits. The Question is one of my all time favorite characters. Renee and Richard Dragon are always in the back of my mind. Oh and Richard's first appearance was actually in a novel written by Denny O'Neil back in '74. Kung Fu Fighter was his first comics appearance.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@ccraft said:

Doesn't seem like a good idea anyways!

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42  Edited By Miss_Garrick

I want The Shade and more Opal city in general, Obsidian, Tempest (Garth), Dr. Mid-Nite (Pieter Cross), Cyclone, Hank Hall, Jean Paul as Azrael, Hourman and Jesse Chambers (they were such a cute couple), and Brainwave Jr.

Avatar image for timelordscience
TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft said:

@timelordscience said:

@ccraft said:

Doesn't seem like a good idea anyways!

I don't see why not...she was a kick*ss well written character and Rucka wrote some great stories with her.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Avatar image for the_lunact_and_manic
The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wally West

Avatar image for davidgrantlloyd
davidgrantlloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hyperman said:

Maxima!!!!

Yes. That would be cool. And maybe Lori Lemaris ... they could do a crossover with Aquaman or something?

Charetter115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ryan Choi?

ComicKing7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#48  Edited By ComicKing7

Donna Troy, Cassandra Cain, Stephanie Brown, Zachary Zatara, Wally West, Azrael, Miss Martian

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GREGalicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All I really want is DONNA TROY!!!! However, I would love to see what Lucy Lane/SUPERWOMAN is up to these days...and my girl, TOMORROW WOMAN.