First Time Comic Reader. Where to start?

Avatar image for holycrapitsadam
HolyCrapItsAdam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey fellow comicvine members. I have never really owned or read any comic books before but i have always appreciated them and wanted to get into them. I just got an iPad not to long ago and have decided to start reading some comics. I've decided to go with the digital versions as I don't really have the physical space to store the actual books. I was hoping that you guys and gals could give me some direction or some suggestions as to a good first series of books to get me hooked. I don't really have an affinity to any certain characters or anything like that. I've been looking at the new 52 Justice League series. I know they are just getting into something called the Trinity War and that sounds like it could be exciting. Any other suggestions are much appreciated and sorry if this type of question has been asked before on here

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

The best option would probably be the New 52. As for which series, what characters you are interested in? I could reccomend you some good series with them in it.

Avatar image for mysterioususername
MysteriousUsername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

@holycrapitsadam: The key is finding a character that interests you and checking out stuff with that character, at least as far as Marvel/DC goes. As for other comics, it's best to look out for comics in the style of your choice or try out comics that you think you might like.

Webcomics are a good way to see what styles you like without worrying about spending money, although I don't know how most of them would look on an iPad.

GodTriggerHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@holycrapitsadam:

Use the Marvel Digital Comics app to catch up on Thor: God of Thunder or Indestructible Hulk. You're not very far behind and both of those are really good books.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Hey fellow comicvine members. I have never really owned or read any comic books before but i have always appreciated them and wanted to get into them. I just got an iPad not to long ago and have decided to start reading some comics. I've decided to go with the digital versions as I don't really have the physical space to store the actual books. I was hoping that you guys and gals could give me some direction or some suggestions as to a good first series of books to get me hooked. I don't really have an affinity to any certain characters or anything like that. I've been looking at the new 52 Justice League series. I know they are just getting into something called the Trinity War and that sounds like it could be exciting. Any other suggestions are much appreciated and sorry if this type of question has been asked before on here

First off, welcome to comics! Here are just some general recommendations for recent books that I can give:

New 52 Aquaman - Start with issue one, this is especially new-reader friendly because it's an entirely new Aquaman. The series has gorgeous art and an action-packed story, so I would definitely recommend it.

New 52 Batman - You might need a little background understanding, but for the most part, it's a pretty good jumping point. Part horror-ish and part-crime.

Indestructible Hulk - As someone recommended, this is also quite a straightforward series for newer readers. Hulk is an agent of SHIELD basically.

As you read more comics, eventually you'll get a sense of the types of books you might enjoy or not. Oh and Justice League is alright, but it's mostly action while the plots can be pretty weak. The Aquaman-Justice League 'Throne of Atlantis' event is definitely awesome though.

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lilben42

@holycrapitsadam: For DC the new 52 I would suggest...

Earth 2- Start from the beginning

Wonder Woman- Start from the beginning

Superman Unchained- Just started.

Superman/Batman- Just started.

Batman- You can start it from the story arc Zero Year or from the beginning your choice.

I would also really recommend the Trinity War story arc.

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

Welcome to CV!

Daredevil - First off, this series is the best one out there IMO. Fantastic story and dialogue and great art. One of the best issues got awarded with an Eisner award. Totally recommend.

Avengers A.I. - The sequel to Age of Ultron. Features a team of artificial superheroes in a new series. Fun read, really recommend.

Batman - Just started with Zero Year, showing how Batman became who he is.

Flash - Beautiful art and script. Interesting story that currently shows how he has to track down the speed force killer (Reverse-Flash).

Justice League - I really think you should keep going and read Justice League as well as Justice League Dark and Justice League Dark.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Since you're using a tablet, you should try comixology. They have some of the first issues for free and plenty of 0.99 sales. They currently have one for Elephantmen for two days and it's pretty good.

BB

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#9 TDK_1997  Online

First,welcome to the comic book world!And second,you should try out comixology.THere have been a lot of free first issues of comic books or just really cheap issues.Try out Justice League and since you haven't read comic books you may actually like it but start from the first issue of something.

Avatar image for holycrapitsadam
HolyCrapItsAdam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you very much for the recommendations everyone. I appreciate it.