• 110 results
Posted by k4tzm4n (34954 posts) - - Show Bio

If you've been following along with the TMNT-related matters on this site, then you know I'm doing my absolute best to keep an open mind until we get some official footage or a more detailed synopsis. Recent outcry over Megan Fox not wearing yellow in the first round of set photos images made me laugh considering she was clearly doing a fluff piece. It's really nitpicking at its finest. If that upsets you, fine, but to think that destroys the film? Come on. Then, the next set revealed she was indeed wearing a yellow coat, but then the same people complained it's not "the right one." If you're going to complain about something, make sure it's actually an important part of the franchise and can potentially destroy it. Her classic get-up (in both the comics and TV/films) just wouldn't work in the modern-era. Am I saying Fox is an awesome choice? No, in fact I'm not expecting much from the role and that's understandably upsetting for the true April fans out there. What I am saying is QQ over her jacket is wasted emotion to me. Anyway, moving on.

Now more pictures are being released and, unlike the Fox ones, these are far more important to me. They're our first look at pre-CGI Turtles and what appears to be the Foot clan. You know how I said I'm doing my best to keep an open mind? I am still am, but I'll understand if there's a negative response to these dudes -- if they are indeed Foot clan members. Based on their masks, it's safe to say this is the movieverse's version of Shredder's group, too. Check 'em out below and see if you can spot the large changes.

As you can see, they definitely look like special forces instead of traditional ninjas. That was a source of rage in the super old leaked script -- a script they've claimed is nothing like the final product. They're rocking kevlar and some appear to be holding assault rifles. Now, before you flip a table or break your keyboard, just remember this is only one scene. Before anyone goes off on a rant about how they've destroyed the Foot clan, let's be rational and wait for the facts. Could it be the Turtles already wrecked them in melee combat and they realized they need to upgrade their weaponry to bring them in? And you know what: even if this is what the Foot Clan are like for the entire film (shadowy special forces), it's not worth getting upset over. Why, you ask? Because you still have the IDW comics. You still have the TV show. And you still have the original comics, shows, and movies. If a trailer hits and you're outraged by the changes, then just don't see it. You don't even need to recognize this film exists. It's really that simple.

While this does have me slightly concerned, I'm still doing my best to keep a level head and wait until we get more and more. Because at the end of the day, I accept that this isn't going to be just like the source material -- just like the cartoon most of us fell in love with wasn't like the Mirage comics. I don't expect this movie to be "good," but I am praying for some solid popcorn entertainment. What about you, Viners?

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comes out June 6, 2014 and is directed by Jonathan Liebesman.

Source: Zimbio, ComicBookMovie

*Thanks to @X_SOLDIER for sending this my way.

#1 Edited by mattwing87 (433 posts) - - Show Bio

The Turtles being arrested? That's new! I don't think they had any interactions with the police in any of their incarnations.

#2 Edited by Tober (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks interesting. I'll reserve potential hate towards this film after I've seen a trailer. The foot clan dudes looks badass.

#3 Posted by BR_Havoc (1340 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah I am really not a fan of the black ops looking foot clan.... Oh well my expectations of this film is pretty much rock bottom so lets hope it can surprise me.

#4 Posted by Saren (25136 posts) - - Show Bio

SPECIAL FORCES INSTEAD OF NINJAS

DESTROYED THE FOOT CLAN FOREVER

FREAKING MEGAN FOX AND HER BARELY REDDISH HAIR

HOW MUCH MORE?!

#5 Edited by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20446 posts) - - Show Bio

The armbands look a bit cheesy, but it doesn't look that bad. I don't see why the rage...

#6 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (15132 posts) - - Show Bio

What the hell is up with everyone getting arrested?

#7 Posted by Om1kron (1151 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't care, put it in theaters, and a whole new generation of people will get to enjoy ninja turtles.

#8 Posted by ccraft (5612 posts) - - Show Bio

They look more like soldiers... wow.

I bet Shredder won't look anything like Shredder...

I'm still optimist that this will be a good movie..

#9 Posted by k4tzm4n (34954 posts) - - Show Bio

SPECIAL FORCES INSTEAD OF NINJAS

DESTROYED THE FOOT CLAN FOREVER

FREAKING MEGAN FOX AND HER BARELY REDDISH HAIR

HOW MUCH MORE?!

VANILLA ICE ISN'T EVEN CONFIRMED YET!!!! GOSH! HOW CAN WE HAVE A FINALE WITHOUT DEM BEATS?

#10 Posted by k4tzm4n (34954 posts) - - Show Bio

What the hell is up with everyone getting arrested?

Raph isn't ;)

The Turtles being arrested? That's new! I don't think they had any interactions with the police in any of their incarnations.

Well, this appears to be the Foot, not police.

@om1kron said:

I don't care, put it in theaters, and a whole new generation of people will get to enjoy ninja turtles.

If I was near you, I'd give you a cookie. Unless you hate cookies, then I'd give you a high five.

#11 Posted by Xwraith (21645 posts) - - Show Bio

So... the Foot Clan are clones of Worf?

#12 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (15132 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: Raph is my favorite for that reason. But have you noticed how everyone even Superman seems to be getting arrested?

#13 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6836 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice CGI works going into effect it seems! I'm actually not that concerned over the Foot Clan look. Seems right for a live action film in my opinion. Now this look for April, on the other hand, I'm still weighing in on. Part of me thinks "SMH"...and part of me thinks this is probably as good as it should be.

I don't know, Katz. What do you think?

#14 Posted by ccraft (5612 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe they do use ninja weapons, but that didn't work so now their using guns.. idk

I wonder if there will be more mutants in this movie!

#15 Posted by Jacobin_Wisdom (89 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, it could be possible that this is just an armed forces group of foot solders within the traditional foot clan!

Right....no? No....okay, I'll shuddup now.

#16 Posted by k4tzm4n (34954 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice CGI works going into effect it seems! I'm actually not that concerned over the Foot Clan look. Seems right for a live action film in my opinion. Now this look for April, on the other hand, I'm still weighing in on. Part of me thinks "SMH"...and part of me thinks this is probably as good as it should be.

I don't know, Katz. What do you think?

When you heard it's Megan Fox, what did you honestly expect? That's not to insult her, but I don't know what they could do to her to win over people outraged by the casting. At least she's not wearing a low cut shirt or super short shorts, you know? That was everyone's big concern -- she'd just be a sex symbol. Yeah, she's wearing tights, but that's clearly for some cheesy fluff piece for the news. I imagine a reporter isn't going to rock a suit or casual wear if they're doing a package about fitness, no?

#17 Posted by ccraft (5612 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20446 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by ccraft (5612 posts) - - Show Bio

Give me a Raphael and Casey team up and I'll die happy!

#20 Posted by k4tzm4n (34954 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft said:

Maybe they do use ninja weapons, but that didn't work so now their using guns.. idk

This could just be a special division. Or, maybe this is it and some do, too. We won't know 'till we get official stuff. I can't tell if the below is a sword or part of a baton or something. I circled it in red.

#21 Posted by dondave (38907 posts) - - Show Bio

It Looks Alright

#22 Posted by ccraft (5612 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

@ccraft said:

This could just be a special division. Or, maybe this is it and some do, too. We won't know 'till we get official stuff. I can't tell if the below is a sword or part of a baton or something. I circled it in red.

I was think the same thing, but are those animal control sticks? idk what there called but animal control uses them to catch animals lol.

But so far my only complaint is the voice actor for Splinter, if it is confirmed.

#23 Posted by BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow (1405 posts) - - Show Bio

Where's Casey! And uhhhhhhhhh this foot clan looks pretty bada** now..

#24 Posted by SimonM7 (107 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft:

I think concerns that Shredder won't look Shredder-y are very valid. It hasn't really occurred to me until now that they will want to contextualise this the way they did Transformers, and there are things about the Turtles characters that literally make no sense against a "realistic" backdrop.

It kinda sucks, and you can definitely head in the complete opposite direction and embrace the comic bookyness by setting an appropriate tone where that stuff flies. The default in a post Nolan-Batman world, however, is definitely to try and play down the outlandish aspects to the point where it *appears* seamless with "reality".

It's really, really, really difficult to get a feel for where this movie is positioning itself, but with this style of foot clan, yeah, you're absolutely spot on expecting Shredder's appearance to revolve around something functional. Much in the same vein Nolan's Batman looks like a commando dude first, with considerably downplayed pointy ears, batman emblem and a cape.

I am by nature a pretty optimistic person, and I can even kinda extract things to enjoy from at least the first and third Transformers movies (there's like a moment or two in RoTF I like, too, but man that's a bloated mess), so I'm interested to see how this turns out.

#25 Posted by ccraft (5612 posts) - - Show Bio

Where's Casey! And uhhhhhhhhh this foot clan looks pretty bada** now..

Yeah I really hope Casey makes it, and paramilitary redesigns for characters can be cool. For the Foot Clan yeah its cool, but i makes me think Shredder won't look as cool.

#26 Posted by k4tzm4n (34954 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Posted by Illuminatus (9489 posts) - - Show Bio

This aesthetic sensationalism and dynamic style of filmmaking being passed off as anything but mediocrity is inundating.

Is Hollywood really out of ideas?

#28 Posted by DarklyDreamingDeadpool (174 posts) - - Show Bio

first megan fox now this? oh boy.........

#29 Posted by LarryDavis (143 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: Why? William Fichtner rules, and would be the only good thing so far about this pile of garbage.

#30 Posted by SUNMAN (7265 posts) - - Show Bio

I was cool with Megan Fox, but this doesn't look to promising

#31 Edited by BiteMe-Fanboy (8107 posts) - - Show Bio
#32 Edited by k4tzm4n (34954 posts) - - Show Bio

@larrydavis said:

@k4tzm4n: Why? William Fichtner rules, and would be the only good thing so far about this pile of garbage.

Because when you think Shredder, William Fichtner comes to mind? If so, do tell.

Not bashing on the actor at all -- but for Shredder? Well, it's clearly going to be a whole new direction for the character if that's the case.

#33 Edited by SimonM7 (107 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Posted by k4tzm4n (34954 posts) - - Show Bio

@simonm7 said:

Setting aside the fact that William Fichtner is awesome, and I would be happy with him as April O'Neil - sure, yeah. :D

Depending on how much they're establishing in this movie that could play out over several movies, as well as how many characters they're bringing in from the comics, there's piles of people he could be playing.

For sure. They've implied he's an "iconic" character and a lead. If not Shredder, who would you guess? Baxter Stockman?

#35 Edited by Mbecks14 (2029 posts) - - Show Bio

They look absolutely ridiculous with those things on their backs, it's quite hilarious.

I have about 2% faith in this movie, so this changes just about nothing.

#36 Edited by TheCowman (461 posts) - - Show Bio

@simonm7 said:

@ccraft:

The default in a post Nolan-Batman world, however, is definitely to try and play down the outlandish aspects to the point where it *appears* seamless with "reality".

See, I was hoping that in a post Avengers world that filmmakers wouldn't be so scared to embrace the source material and all it's "silliness".

I'm not going to write this movie off completely. As Katzman said, we don't know any of the story details yet and even assault rifle toting Foot ninjas could potentially be implemented in a satisfactory way.

That said though, I'm not expecting much from this movie. If it turns out to be good, it'll be a nice surprise. If not.... well, at least the cartoon and comic are still good. It's just a little disturbing at how desperately the film industry seems to be trying to run away from anything that could be viewed as "childish fun".

#37 Posted by StMichalofWilson (4119 posts) - - Show Bio

#38 Edited by klank (8 posts) - - Show Bio

There's been a few signs from the locations that they've been shooting that they are still using a lot of that awful leaked script. I'd say this is a very definite sign that all its still VERY much intact as the turtles were rescued from Scrader's Foot Militia and rescued by teen Casey Jones.

They've just tweaked things is all. Removed the alien origin, made April older and seemingly replaced Casey with Vernon.

#39 Edited by Dernman (15813 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry I don't see the problem with this.

#40 Posted by SimonM7 (107 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: Baxter was my first thought, too, but I guess he's been black across the board since that 2003 cartoon? Fichtner is really good when he gets to play up these semi "ticks" and odd mannerisms, though, he's a bit like Jeff Goldblum that way. He would make a pretty terrific mad scientist.

#41 Posted by kriminal (659 posts) - - Show Bio

as long as shredder is a beast i dont care what his army fights like. i thought it would be krang? dont know where i heard that but i did from somewhere.

#42 Edited by k4tzm4n (34954 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, super sorry for sharing my thoughts.

@simonm7 said:

@k4tzm4n: Baxter was my first thought, too, but I guess he's been black across the board since that 2003 cartoon? Fichtner is really good when he gets to play up these semi "ticks" and odd mannerisms, though, he's a bit like Jeff Goldblum that way. He would make a pretty terrific mad scientist.

Took the words right out of my head, man.

#43 Posted by notarandomguy (316 posts) - - Show Bio

I am disappointed comic vine, I mean come one! is just leaked stuff and first looks.. this is EXACTLY what happens with the Power Ranger Fans crying over what's going on with the 'Super Megaforce' stuff when they don't even have a clue on how its gonna end up like! the way I see it, this could either blow or be a nice movie and bring a whole new generation of fans to the TMNT universe, in fact I know for sure lots people are digging the cartoon after so many people said it was gonna be awful and ''not even half the great show the 80's cartoon was'' because the show wasn't going to be as dark as the 2003 cartoon, now, I'm not buying the whole Megan Fox thing but at least she doesn't look like she did in Transformers, you know, the whole 'sex symbol' and stuff, not saying she's perfect for it but hey! is it REALLY that bad? can we just wait at least till something is ACTUALLY confirmed and not start making judgment on the 'first look at...'? if that is the foot it makes more sense for an organisation like that to be sorta 'black ops' nowadays, especially in live action movie-verse, if that isn't the foot, that might as well be the government or a version of the purple dragons, we don't even know how shredder is going to look like for pete's sake! why believe this will suck just cause Bay and Fox are involved? He's a better producer than director... in fact YOU'RE NOT EVEN MENTIONING OR PAYING ATTENTION TO THE DIRECTOR if a movie sucks the fault lies in the 'Producer-Director-Editor' AND writer team, not just the biggest name you can find in the credits, that's not how it work folks, did you liked 'Wrath of the Titans'? Well if you did then you know TMNT is not gonna suck (might not be perfect but, won't suck) if you didn't then Jonathan Liebesman is the one to blame and he's the one you should actually worry!

#44 Posted by SimonM7 (107 posts) - - Show Bio

@simonm7 said:

@ccraft:

The default in a post Nolan-Batman world, however, is definitely to try and play down the outlandish aspects to the point where it *appears* seamless with "reality".

See, I was hoping that in a post Avengers world that filmmakers wouldn't be so scared to embrace the source material and all it's "silliness".

I'm not going to write this movie off completely. As Katzman said, we don't know any of the story details yet and even assault rifle toting Foot ninjas could potentially be implemented in a satisfactory way.

That said though, I'm not expecting much from this movie. If it turns out to be good, it'll be a nice surprise. If not.... well, at least the cartoon and comic are still good. It's just a little disturbing at how desperately the film industry seems to be trying to run away from anything that could be viewed as "childish fun".

I wholeheartedly agree, and I believe you're entirely correct, but it cogs turn rrrrreally slowly in the movie industry. Amazing Spider-Man and Man of Steel were both set in motion when The Dark Knight was THE template, and lessons gleaned from Avengers will only become apparent in the years to come. With ASM2 ostensibly going for a more cartoony version of the costume again, and implementing a lot of the "cinematic universe" ideas that the lead up to - and Avengers itself - proved to be successful, I think we may already be seeing a turning tide.

I'm not sure when this movie started development, but I seem to recall hearing about it at least as early as 2010.

#45 Edited by Smurfboy (480 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, I don't know about you but I am jumping like a schoolgirl and got excited when I saw the images from this news. I cannot wait to see what the final form of turtles will look like! Unlike a lot of nitpicking people, I'm not picking about anything.

#46 Posted by LarryDavis (143 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

@larrydavis said:

Because when you think Shredder, William Fichtner comes to mind? If so, do tell.

Not bashing on the actor at all -- but for Shredder? Well, it's clearly going to be a whole new direction for the character if that's the case.

Well, it's not like anything else so far has seemed consistent with previous directions of the characters. Might as well have a good actor while they're at it.

#47 Posted by fables87 (1087 posts) - - Show Bio

Can we CGI Megan Fox's acting too?

#48 Posted by KRYPTON (1868 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never seen that before. Very unique.

#49 Posted by nappystr8 (1157 posts) - - Show Bio

That's an interesting method of shooting the turtles. I didn't realize they would get the actual actors on actual sets. Figured all of their work would be done on green screen. Slightly more excited, but not much.

#50 Posted by TheMatch328 (81 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone else notice that Raphael is not in this scene so obviously this movie is gonna have Raph doing some of his solo act and which might mean we see Casey in this movie