• 114 results
#1 Posted by Last_Guardian (28024 posts) - - Show Bio

Who was the first ever superhero in comic book history?

names that pop into my mind are---

Human Torch (Jim Hammond), Superman, Red Raven

anyone know? and pics would be greatly appreciated

#2 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

i'm not old enough to know for sure. i'd have to look at all the golden age superheroes and the dates their comics came out and then compare them all and just thinking that's making me even more tired than i already was. yawn

#3 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I remember that my teacher said that the first one was Superman....then came Batman and Wonderwoman

#4 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambler says:

"Post Deleted."

gasp was that a joke at my expense that you so quickly deleted???

#5 Posted by Last_Guardian (28024 posts) - - Show Bio

WOW! real comic buffs huh? no one has any idea at all? damn.

#6 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

Post Deleted.

#7 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman

#8 Posted by Super-Buster (2358 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the first super-hero in the sense that he had super-powers and wore a mask was "Phantom". I don't have much more information that, maybe I'll look it up.

#9 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

Apparition says:

"Gambler says:
"Post Deleted."

gasp was that a joke at my expense that you so quickly deleted???"

No lol :P

#10 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

Nighthunter says:

"I think I remember that my teacher said that the first one was Superman....then came Batman and Wonderwoman"

figure your teacher would be a dc fanboy

#11 Posted by Last_Guardian (28024 posts) - - Show Bio

Nighthunter says:

"I think I remember that my teacher said that the first one was Superman....then came Batman and Wonderwoman"

so DC heroes definiteley came before any others? wow

#12 Posted by Apparition (11349 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambler says:

"Apparition says:
"Gambler says:
"Post Deleted."
*gasp* was that a joke at my expense that you so quickly deleted???"
No lol :P"

lol just checking

#13 Posted by DragonGateAcer (5400 posts) - - Show Bio

dr occult

#14 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by Super-Buster (2358 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm... I just read up on some comic history and it looks like it depends on what you mean by "super-hero" It seems that the first super-hero in the sense that he had a super-power, performed good deeds, and, as you said, was in a comic was this guy named Hugo Hercules, but he didn't wear a mask or anything. However, if you are referring to the guy who started the super-hero archtype was Superman, he is the model after which all other super-heroes came to be measured by. Also, If you're looking for the guy who first put on a mask and costume to fight crime in a comic book, that would be Phantom.

#16 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman heck no lol. Hes near the top but even if it didn't take so long for him to get accepted he wasn't the first. The true first was popeye the sailor man. Originally comics were on news papers and stuff. They eventually got to the point of phantom stranger the second comic book character to come out. Superman came a little later after people stopped saying no to the two guys for there idea on a guy with powers. They had to constantly change him up for them I think is what he said.

#17 Posted by Super-Buster (2358 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by Midnight Lantern (6011 posts) - - Show Bio

Super Man.

#19 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

I quote:

In 1934, the first "superhero" was published-"Mandrake The Magician". Mandrake was very popular for a short time, and although he didn't use a costume or the name "superhero", he used powers to fight crime.

#20 Posted by Super-Buster (2358 posts) - - Show Bio

Nighthunter says:

"I quote:In 1934, the **first** "superhero" was published-"Mandrake The Magician". Mandrake was very popular for a short time, and although he didn't use a costume or the name "superhero", he used powers to fight crime."

Apparently comicvine isn't perfect, Hugo started in 1902, he' just a guy with super-strength going around helping people, isn't that a superhero? If you're referring to the first guy to wear a mask and costume, then its Phantom, Mandrake didn't wear a mask.

#21 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

Midnight Lantern says:

"Super Man."

How high is your ignorance wolfenstien. Superman didn't come out till after phantom stranger and popeye the sailor man. Shut up and stop sucking him off. For a 25 year old its sad you didn't know this.

#22 Posted by Midnight Lantern (6011 posts) - - Show Bio

zee crusher says:

"Midnight Lantern says:
"Super Man."
How high is your ignorance wolfenstien. Superman didn't come out till after phantom stranger and popeye the sailor man. Shut up and stop sucking him off. For a 25 year old its sad you didn't know this."

A: It's Midnight Lantern.

B: Who said Superman did'nt come out utill after Popeye and Phantom Stranger? You? LMAO. Hahahaha.

C: No and I'll like whatever Character I want.

D: Read A through C.

#23 Posted by Hawk (15833 posts) - - Show Bio

popeye

#24 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

Midnight Lantern says:

"zee crusher says:
"Midnight Lantern says:
"Super Man."
How high is your ignorance wolfenstien. Superman didn't come out till after phantom stranger and popeye the sailor man. Shut up and stop sucking him off. For a 25 year old its sad you didn't know this."

A: It's Midnight Lantern.

B: Who said Superman did'nt come out utill after Popeye and Phantom Stranger? You? LMAO. Hahahaha.

C: No and I'll like whatever Character I want.

D: Read A through C.

"

No its wolfenstien you even told me in messages your ignorant bastard.

1. Your like 7 so you wouldn't know anything about comics besides what you saw on cartoon network correct? I didn't say it dumba$$ thats how it actually happened sadly your to young to know.

2. Go ahead keep sucking him off I'm not complaining lol its you who makes your self look bad. You don't even know a thing about the character and you stand up for him real smart.

3. Your pathetic.

#25 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

Super-Buster says:

"Nighthunter says:
"I quote:In 1934, the **first** "superhero" was published-"Mandrake The Magician". Mandrake was very popular for a short time, and although he didn't use a costume or the name "superhero", he used powers to fight crime."

Apparently comicvine isn't perfect, Hugo started in 1902, he' just a guy with super-strength going around helping people, isn't that a superhero? If you're referring to the first guy to wear a mask and costume, then its Phantom, Mandrake didn't wear a mask. "

hmm I guess it isn't

or maybe Hugo isn't considered a superhero....

don't know, it was too long ago lol

#26 Posted by Shaper (5168 posts) - - Show Bio

Does Archie count? Lol, Jk.

#27 Posted by Midnight Lantern (6011 posts) - - Show Bio

Popeye's page on ComicVine says that he first appeared in 1948. Superman first appeared in 1938.

#28 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

Midnight Lantern says:

"Popeye's page on ComicVine says that he first appeared in 1948. Superman first appeared in 1938."

touche

#29 Posted by Shaper (5168 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-man. That's right, I say Spidy. He is that badass. :)

#30 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

Midnight Lantern says:

"Popeye's page on ComicVine says that he first appeared in 1948. Superman first appeared in 1938."

Oh but your really made because superman actually came in 1939 dumbass. Popeye was the first because before a guy with powers came out popeye was in newspapers and that was the only place you could read a comic. Then phantom stranger came out and he is said to be the longest running comic book character. Please say something that you do know now??

#31 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

If were talking in terms of age and what not I'd give it to Atum the godslayer. He did kill all the degenerated gods as well as the dinosaurs nobody else was apparently alive them.

#32 Posted by Super-Buster (2358 posts) - - Show Bio

Nighthunter says:

"Super-Buster says:
"Nighthunter says:

Apparently comicvine isn't perfect, Hugo started in 1902, he' just a guy with super-strength going around helping people, isn't that a superhero? If you're referring to the first guy to wear a mask and costume, then its Phantom, Mandrake didn't wear a mask. "

hmm I guess it isn't

or maybe Hugo isn't considered a superhero....

don't know, it was too long ago lol"

See? That's question I'm struggling with, what constitutes a super-hero?

#33 Posted by Midnight Lantern (6011 posts) - - Show Bio

obi wan kenobi! says:

"sorry i didn';t clarify more..to me a superhero is pretty much appeared in comicbooks! not newspapers or anything else...and pretty much fights crime i wouldn't say popeye..not at all"

coughSupermancough

#34 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

obi wan kenobi! says:

"sorry i didn';t clarify more..to me a superhero is pretty much appeared in comicbooks! not newspapers or anything else...and pretty much fights crime i wouldn't say popeye..not at all"

popeye did beat up bad guys which count as crime. If your talking about comics then its phantom stranger.

#35 Posted by Black_Ranger (71 posts) - - Show Bio

you know superman was originally evil when he first appeared in comics

#36 Posted by Last_Guardian (28024 posts) - - Show Bio

sorry i didn';t clarify more..to me a superhero is pretty much appeared in comicbooks! not newspapers or anything else...and pretty much fights crime i wouldn't say popeye..not at all

#37 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

Midnight Lantern says:

"obi wan kenobi! says:

coughSupermancough"

retard.

This comic is the first American publishing of The Phantom, who is now a worldwide hero. The Phantom made his debut on February 17th, 1936 and he was the first costumed hero. He was created by Lee Falk, who still today is working on his stories. The Phantom was the kind of hero that despite his normal "human" capabilities, fought crime with bravery and death defying stunts. Many future heroes would follow his lead. For more information about this breakthrough hero read The Phantom biography. Also in 1936 The Clock appeared in Funny Pages #6. The Clock was a masked detective; this is the first time a character used a mask to hide his face. Later on, masks would be used in most costumes so the hero could disguise his or her true identity.

#38 Posted by AztekTheLost (370 posts) - - Show Bio

{{Superherobox|

image=[[Image:Phantomstranger.gif]]

|caption=''The Phantom Stranger'' vol. 3, #1 (October 1987), cover art by [[Mike Mignola]] and [[P. Craig Russell]].

|character_name=Phantom Stranger

|real_name=Unknown

|publisher=[[DC Comics]]/[[Vertigo Comics|Vertigo]]

|debut=''Phantom Stranger'' #1
(August-September 1952)

|creators=[[John Broome (writer)|John Broome]]
[[Carmine Infantino]]
[[Sy Barry]]

|alliances=The Quintessence
[[Justice League]]
[[Trenchcoat Brigade]]
[[Sentinels of Magic]]

|aliases=Brotherless One, Grey Walker, Wandering Jew (unconfirmed)

|powers=Vast mystical powers making him the near-equal of the [[Spectre (comics)|Spectre]]

|}}

#39 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Ranger says:

"you know superman was originally evil when he first appeared in comics"

I beg to differ

In June 1938, Action Comics #1 came out, featuring a man in a red and blue costume lifting a car over his head! This was Superman, the very first comic character to have powers far beyond a normal human being. Sure, Flash Gordon and The Shadow were neat, but they couldn't lift a car over their heads and throw it at someone! Nor could they let bullets bounce off their chests, or run faster than a train, or leap over tall buildings in a single bound. To say the least, Superman was a fitting name.

When Siegel and Shuster were younger they tried pitching the Superman idea at newspapers and comics. One of their earliest proposals was a cartoon character called The Superman in 1933. They were constantly rejected, to the point that artist Joe Shuster once tore up his Superman artwork and stated that he'd redo the character properly if the time ever came. Today Superman is one of the 10 most recognized 'people' on the face of the planet. He has been in several movies, cartoons and TV series.

#40 Posted by AztekTheLost (370 posts) - - Show Bio

woops that didn't come out right but Zee, Phantom Stranger is from 52...

#41 Posted by AztekTheLost (370 posts) - - Show Bio

zee crusher says:

"AztekTheLost says:
"woops that didn't come out right but Zee, Phantom Stranger is from 52..."

He came out in February 17th, 1936.

" />http://www.geocities.com/Athens/8580/fb20.jpg"

oh, I thought you were talking about The Phantom Stranger from DC

#42 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

AztekTheLost says:

"zee crusher says:
"AztekTheLost says:

oh, I thought you were talking about The Phantom Stranger from DC"

No lol then I'd just look plain dumb like midnight lantern who won't admit hes wolfenstein lol.

#43 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

AztekTheLost says:

#44 Posted by Black_Ranger (71 posts) - - Show Bio

zee crusher says:

"Black Ranger says:

I beg to differ

In June 1938, Action Comics #1 came out, featuring a man in a red and blue costume lifting a car over his head! This was Superman, the very first comic character to have powers far beyond a normal human being. Sure, Flash Gordon and The Shadow were neat, but they couldn't lift a car over their heads and throw it at someone! Nor could they let bullets bounce off their chests, or run faster than a train, or leap over tall buildings in a single bound. To say the least, Superman was a fitting name.

When Siegel and Shuster were younger they tried pitching the Superman idea at newspapers and comics. One of their earliest proposals was a cartoon character called The Superman in 1933. They were constantly rejected, to the point that artist Joe Shuster once tore up his Superman artwork and stated that he'd redo the character properly if the time ever came. Today Superman is one of the 10 most recognized 'people' on the face of the planet. He has been in several movies, cartoons and TV series.

"

all those was when superman appeared as good the ones who created superman made him evil at first then changed him into good

#45 Posted by Super-Buster (2358 posts) - - Show Bio

obi wan kenobi! says:

If you're referring to the first masked crime fighter to actually appear in comic books, then I think you mean The Clock.

#46 Posted by Last_Guardian (28024 posts) - - Show Bio

zee crusher says:

"AztekTheLost says:
"zee crusher says:
"AztekTheLost says:

No lol then I'd just look plain dumb like midnight lantern who won't admit hes wolfenstein lol."

zee just drop it..ok according to you he is wolfenstein but i mean who cares? just drop it...lol

#47 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Ranger says:

"zee crusher says:
"Black Ranger says:

I beg to differ

"

all those was when superman appeared as good the ones who created superman made him evil at first then changed him into good"

You hear some weird rumors. It clearly states that superman had to get approved before he was in comics. He can't be bad and not be in comics. He was always good at first. He then sued dcs wonderman for copyright issues. Superman was always good. If you don't believe whats up there then theres no point of speaking it.

#48 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

obi wan kenobi! says:

"zee crusher says:
"AztekTheLost says:
"zee crusher says:
"AztekTheLost says:

No lol then I'd just look plain dumb like midnight lantern who won't admit hes wolfenstein lol."

zee just drop it..ok according to you he is wolfenstein but i mean who cares? just drop it...lol"

If only you saw what he did as wolfenstein you'd know what I mean. Then you saw that ignorant statement he said about me losing the debate of Thor vs superman. I'm just speaking the truth some people on the vine even talked to me and said midnight lantern might be dr.dare.

#49 Posted by Black_Ranger (71 posts) - - Show Bio

zee crusher says:

"Black Ranger says:
"zee crusher says:
"Black Ranger says:

I beg to differ

"

all those was when superman appeared as good the ones who created superman made him evil at first then changed him into good"

You hear some weird rumors. It clearly states that superman had to get approved before he was in comics. He can't be bad and not be in comics. He was always good at first. He then sued dcs wonderman for copyright issues. Superman was always good. If you don't believe whats up there then theres no point of speaking it."

have you watched the history channel? it showed one about superman and his origin was when he was evil, not wearing the costume he does when he was good. The creators of superman actually made him evil, then changed the whole idea of superman sooner later and made him good with the costumes he wears now

#50 Posted by AztekTheLost (370 posts) - - Show Bio

zee crusher says:

"obi wan kenobi! says:
"zee crusher says:
"AztekTheLost says:
"zee crusher says:
"AztekTheLost says:

zee just drop it..ok according to you he is wolfenstein but i mean who cares? just drop it...lol"

If only you saw what he did as wolfenstein you'd know what I mean. Then you saw that ignorant statement he said about me losing the debate of Thor vs superman. I'm just speaking the truth some people on the vine even talked to me and said midnight lantern might be dr.dare."

but Zee, if he is as bad as Wolfenstein was then wouldn't it be more insulting to call him Midnight Lantern instead of Wolfenstein?