• 71 results
#1 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (33069 posts) - - Show Bio

“The core fans were not wild about the original movies, and nor was I,” he admitted. “Last summer, Emma Watts at Fox called me on the set of Days of Future Past and said, ‘We really want to do a new Fantastic Four.’ I said to her, ‘I’m interested but it depends how you want to do it.’ She said, ‘Talk to Josh Trank.’ We were shooting the Washington D.C. finale sequence in Days of Future Past and I talked to Josh, and he had such a clear vision of what he wanted to do with the film that was so different from the other movies — it was grounded, real, gritty, and what it would really be like if you went through a transformation and lost control of your body. That, coupled with him wanting it to be a coming-of-age movie, felt fresh to me.”

'The Fantastic Four' Writer Compares Reboot to 'Batman Begins,' 'Iron Man' - Spinoff Online - TV, Film, and Entertainment News DailySpinoff Online – TV, Film, and Entertainment News Daily

#2 Edited by danhimself (22493 posts) - - Show Bio

so basically two guys who have never read a FF comic and have no idea that the backbone of the FF is family and exploration saw the two FF movies then watched Batman Begins and were like "you know what would be really awesome....!"

#3 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5797 posts) - - Show Bio

Wasn't this already established?

#4 Edited by Wolverine08 (41190 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm open. Just hoping they portray the family aspect well.

#5 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33069 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: Not sure you can have much of a family dynamic in a coming-of-age movie

#6 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (10877 posts) - - Show Bio

Wasn't going to see it anyway.

#7 Posted by cattlebattle (12700 posts) - - Show Bio

so basically two guys who have never read a FF comic and have no idea that the backbone of the FF is family and exploration saw the two FF movies then watched Batman Begins and were like "you know what would be really awesome....!"

That seemed to be the paradigm for nearly every comic film after Batman Begins. "Hey, did you ever see those Batman films??" "the movie should be like that despite the source material is somewhat lighthearted".

#8 Edited by Jayc1324 (11684 posts) - - Show Bio

Hm I would like to see a CBM that isn't grounded but I guess that's either the only type that would work in live action, or no one is creative enough to try something new. I'll wait and see how it is though.

#9 Posted by danhimself (22493 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324 said:

Hm I would like to see a CBM that isn't grounded but I guess that's either the only type that would work in live action, or no one is creative enough to try something new. I'll wait and see how it is though.

I don't think that any of Marvel's in house movies have been grounded

#10 Posted by Jayc1324 (11684 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by Wolverine08 (41190 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324 said:

Iron Man comes to mind.

#12 Posted by danhimself (22493 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324 said:

@danhimself: relative to comics I would say so.

well sure they're a little less...crazy...than the comics but you kind of have to expect that...special effects haven't come far enough yet for them to get super crazy...but for the most part they're doing a pretty good job of keeping the same tone and feel of the comics

@danhimself said:

@jayc1324 said:

Iron Man comes to mind.

Iron Man is a pretty grounded concept in the first place though

#13 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33069 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324 said:

well sure they're a little less...crazy...than the comics but you kind of have to expect that...special effects haven't come far enough yet for them to get super crazy...but for the most part they're doing a pretty good job of keeping the same tone and feel of the comics

@wolverine08 said:

@danhimself said:

@jayc1324 said:

Iron Man comes to mind.

GOTG comes to mind

#14 Posted by danhimself (22493 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

@jayc1324 said:

@wolverine08 said:

@danhimself said:

@jayc1324 said:

Iron Man comes to mind.

GOTG comes to mind

as grounded? lol it's got a talking tree and raccoon

#15 Posted by Farkam (4884 posts) - - Show Bio

So f*cking tired of hearing those 3 words

#16 Edited by Wolverine08 (41190 posts) - - Show Bio

@farkam said:

So f*cking tired of hearing those 3 words

#17 Posted by Ostyo (7513 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Edited by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (10877 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:

@danhimself said:

@jayc1324 said:

@wolverine08 said:

@danhimself said:

@jayc1324 said:

Iron Man comes to mind.

GOTG comes to mind

as grounded? lol it's got a talking tree and raccoon

It's so ungrounded, it's in space.

#19 Posted by darkbeam (2251 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate Fox.

#20 Posted by Wolverine08 (41190 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkbeam said:

I hate Fox.

Why? They've made some great supehero movies(X2, DOFP, etc.), and pretty much kick started the superhero craze of the 2000's with X-Men.

#21 Edited by youknowwhattodo (1026 posts) - - Show Bio

This isn't a huge surprise considering the creative team behind the FF reboot is the same one behind Chronicle which is probably the most grounded, realistic superhero film ever made. In fact, if you watch Chronicle, it doesn't take a whole lot to change that film into a FF origin story.

That being said, having a superhero film be grounded, realistic and gritty are not part of my checklist that I use to evaluate how good superhero films are. I just hope that they don't ground and grit the film up too much to the point where the characters lose their humanity and consequentially my interest in the characters.

#22 Posted by BR_Havoc (1286 posts) - - Show Bio

This movie sounds terrible. It's getting more and more clear by cast interviews that they do not have a script finished yet and this is them just talking out their ass. Please Fox do not film this train wreck give the rights to Marvel so we can get a proper Fantastic Four movie. Not stroking Millar's ego with this Ultimate Fantastic Four nonsense.

#23 Posted by Jphu8414 (3613 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess I'm one of the few people who are actually kind of looking forward to learning about this movie, I'm pretty interested by the details that have been coming out

#24 Edited by ULTRAstarkiller (6116 posts) - - Show Bio

FF Movie To Be "Grounded, Real and Gritty"

We started something

#25 Posted by ccraft (5209 posts) - - Show Bio

Grounded-real-and gritty, just the way I like my cbm's!

#26 Posted by goobot (516 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Edited by dagmar_merrill (8136 posts) - - Show Bio

#28 Posted by BR_Havoc (1286 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft: But that formula does not work for every character. It did not work for Superman and that movie was a love it or hate it for most people. The Fantastic Four is anything but gritty or grounded and to make this movie attempting to be Batman Begins is just going to cause the vocal crowd that is against this movie get louder.

#29 Posted by M3th (2083 posts) - - Show Bio

Nolan look at wHat you Have DONE!

THe FF francHise is tHe only movie rigHts I'd like Marvel to get back. MetH doesn't mind SONY witH Spidey or FX witH tHe X-Men but FF sHould return to Marvel.

Imagine a Avengers movie witH Dr.Doom

-ABstract4$$#073-

#30 Posted by Fallschirmjager (16826 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Josh Frank directed chronicle - he's a great director

2. Yes they're young but the cast is extremely talented. They've been upcoming for awhile.

3. The same people who wrote DOFP are writing this.

People need to freaking relax. You haven't even scene the trailer and you're all ready damning this movie. Its pathetic to be honest.

#31 Posted by Farkam (4884 posts) - - Show Bio
#32 Posted by Eisenfauste (8136 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll give it a chance.

#33 Posted by ccraft (5209 posts) - - Show Bio

@br_havoc: Okay, I'll admit the gritty part doesn't seem right for a FF movie, but all grounded is is having it feel as if this could have happened irl. Isn't that what ever cbm tries to do? X-Men does it better than anyone, tying in fictional stories within historical events, etc...

#34 Posted by BR_Havoc (1286 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft: I would say many Marvel studio movies don't do that. They expect to tell a fun or exciting movie that is escapism yes, they are set in real places, but no one actually believes it could happen. When I look at the way they are using the word grounded what they mean is cynical.

The grounded aspect works because this movie will be based off the Ultimate Fantastic Four. I'm sorry, but to think that Reed Richards will be 20 with an IQ of 300 and be the smartest man in the world, simply does not work for making them grounded. I have always found the ultimate versions of the Fantastic Four to be very pretentious and unlikable.

#35 Edited by InkInk (181 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager: All of what you said are subject you are looking at it from one perceptive and that is you seem to be a fan of all people involved.

1. Another way people could look at this is Josh Trank only has directed one movie and it was a shaky cam highscholl drama attempting to be a superhero movie. It had low exceptions and it exceed them, I can respect that even though I did not enjoy the film. This film has now become his sequel to Chronicle because lets face it we all know he was never getting the funding for a second one.

2. None of these actors are box office draws or have been a lead in a film that has been a box office success. Miles Teller is known to causal movie goers as that drunk asshole but now he is the smartest man in the world. No matter how much buzz Fruitsville station got no one remember that movie it left the festival circuit and did not shoot Micheal B Jordan to the highs everyone hyped. Katie Mara is only an actress or model because she has a rich granddaddy she is a terrible actress.

3. Also the same person who wrote, XXX state of the Union, X-men the last stand, Jumper and This means war. So its not like Kinsberg has a spotless track record he has written plenty of duds.

So once again fans have a right to be pissed off, they do not have faith in these people for whatever there reasons are but none are more or less valid then yours. I truly feel that the reason people are so angry with this movie is the fact they have done everything they could to get media attention but at the cost of alienating the fans of the books. So what is more pathetic people being mad that this movie is not sticking to source material or Fox race baiting months ahead of time to attempt to get some fan base to champion for a movie no one wants?

#36 Posted by ccraft (5209 posts) - - Show Bio

@br_havoc: IM, Cap, Thor, are all ground movies, I would say about every cbm is grounded.

I've never read UFF, so I won't pretend to know what your talking about. I'm still optimistic as always, it could be a decent cbm.

#37 Posted by BR_Havoc (1286 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft: It might all be just a matter of opinion, I mean when I go see any blockbuster or comic book movie I do think nor believe any of the stuff could happen. I am there to be entertained, if this movie can remember what it's supposed to be which is a movie about a family (Which according to them its now a coming of age story -_-) with a lot of heart. It could be a decent movie. With that said I do not have high hopes for this one, its 2015's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to me.

#38 Posted by JetiiMitra (8528 posts) - - Show Bio

Grounded, real, gritty, and coming-of-age are not words I would use to describe the FF. It doesn't bode well. But I'm going to keep an open mind and watch this movie without judging it prematurely. Because I have the ability to be an adult about such things.

#39 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (13776 posts) - - Show Bio

Grounded, real, gritty, and coming-of-age are not words I would use to describe the FF. It doesn't bode well. But I'm going to keep an open mind and watch this movie without judging it prematurely. Because I have the ability to be an adult about such things.

Yeah same here I think a good FF movie is about family and science fiction but I still going to check this movie out.

#40 Posted by ccraft (5209 posts) - - Show Bio

@br_havoc: I think we have a different opinion on what grounded means, when ever I hear the word grounded, I think, this is what would happen if something unrealistic happened on Earth, and then they begin to try to rationalize that crazy thing to make it sound believable.

Like for instance, Thor; Asguardian race aren't gods, their an alien race, who don't use magic, but advanced technology that looks like magic.

A coming of age story sounds interest to me, stories like that are when we get to see character's develop their personality, and grow as characters. Maybe in this movie we'll see how they become the greatest cbm family team. I wouldn't want them to miss what makes "the FF, the FF" either.

My expectations for TMNT 2014 are pretty low too, from what I can tell from the trailers, we'll at least see some awesome scenes. Like Master Splinter vs Shredder, Mikey skateboarding, It's been awhile since I seen the trailer, but I know it has a few more cool scenes...

#41 Posted by danhimself (22493 posts) - - Show Bio

@goobot: again...same as with Iron Man...Captain Americais a fairly grounded concept to begin with so using that as an example isn't proving a point...it's not like they're going out of they're way to try and make a grounded gritty story...that's kind of the tone of the character anyway so they're just making a movie that stays true to the character. ..look at Thor and Guardians of the Galaxy..or they're planning a Dr. Strange movie and no one is throwing around terms like "grounded" or "gritty" and they're not shying away from the more fantastical Guardian characters like Groot and Rocket

#42 Posted by theodixon9 (542 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't think the Fantastic Four were meant to be very gritty. I haven't read many FF issues but they've always seemed to be more family friendly than some other series. I suppose we'll have to wait and see how it turns out...

#43 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33069 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't think the Fantastic Four were meant to be very gritty. I haven't read many FF issues but they've always seemed to be more family friendly than some other series. I suppose we'll have to wait and see how it turns out...

Yea and even when the comics do take a darker turn they are usually still about big cosmic and science threats.

#44 Posted by darkbeam (2251 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: They have but they've also done a lot of horrible things to characters I care about.And since Cyclops is my favorite character it's hard not too hold a grudge.I mean come on they were trying too say that Cyclops listens too nsync in X2.

#45 Posted by BR_Havoc (1286 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft said:

@br_havoc: I think we have a different opinion on what grounded means, when ever I hear the word grounded, I think, this is what would happen if something unrealistic happened on Earth, and then they begin to try to rationalize that crazy thing to make it sound believable.

Like for instance, Thor; Asguardian race aren't gods, their an alien race, who don't use magic, but advanced technology that looks like magic.

A coming of age story sounds interest to me, stories like that are when we get to see character's develop their personality, and grow as characters. Maybe in this movie we'll see how they become the greatest cbm family team. I wouldn't want them to miss what makes "the FF, the FF" either.

My expectations for TMNT 2014 are pretty low too, from what I can tell from the trailers, we'll at least see some awesome scenes. Like Master Splinter vs Shredder, Mikey skateboarding, It's been awhile since I seen the trailer, but I know it has a few more cool scenes...

That is my problem with the idea of grounding comic movies and the books themselves. They take a concept that is rather childish and they attempt to bring in people that will not admit to themselves that comic books always need to have that trace of childhood innocents and optimism. Comics are escapism so the idea we need to base them in reality is an oxymoron that these studios need to understand.

The coming of age part is the biggest issue I have so far, I have heard in interviews that this movie will be about Ben and Reed it will be there coming of age story, plus the rumors that Johnny and Sue will be mutants to link it to X-men. The Fantastic Four has always been about family, even in those first few years, it was the coming together of a family that grew stronger and stronger. Now with that said the Ultimate Fantastic Four was about a man gaining a family (Reed) going insane because of his intellect and being a child, breaking his family apart and becoming the worlds greatest villain. I have seen the " coming of age" aspects in the Ultamite fantastic four and it simply does not work. Turning Reed's personality into Doom's and Sue's into Reed's did nothing but get the book cancelled.

Yeah, my expectations on TMNT is rock bottom now. The trailer did not really impress me and I really do not like the Turtles designs or how they act. I might go see it, but that is a strong might.

#46 Posted by ccraft (5209 posts) - - Show Bio

@br_havoc: UFF doesn't sound very good, and they said this FF movie will be influenced by UFF? That would suck.. With all of these talented people, they pick the worst concept of the FF to do.

#47 Posted by God_Spawn (37729 posts) - - Show Bio

This doesn't even resemble the FF anymore.

#48 Posted by Fallen_Crippled (6451 posts) - - Show Bio

Grounded, real, and gritty movies sell... well some of them. I like this. As long as they touch on the fact that family is the most important to them, then I think it'll be fine.

#49 Posted by Wolverine08 (41190 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkbeam said:

@wolverine08: They have but they've also done a lot of horrible things to characters I care about.And since Cyclops is my favorite character it's hard not too hold a grudge.I mean come on they were trying too say that Cyclops listens too nsync in X2.

You know comic book Cyclops does too! :D

#50 Posted by Ms-Lola (2399 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't wait.