Posted by FiguredOut95 (379 posts) 1 year, 5 months ago

Poll: Favourite Superman origin? The Man of Steel - Superman: Birthright - Superman: Secret Origin ?? (22 votes)

The Man of Steel (Byrne) 18%
Birthright (Waid) 59%
Secret Origin (Johns) 23%

@

These are the three main pre New 52 origins for Superman, vote for your favourite and please feel free to comment and tell me why, I did not include All Star and Earth One as they are alternate universe stories. My vote goes to Birthright as it loved its it's calm feeling and portrayal of Jonathan Kent.

#1 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21878 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted secret origin, cause I have yet to buy birthright. I need money...

#2 Posted by FiguredOut95 (379 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Edited by AllStarSuperman (21878 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Edited by SmashBrawler (5743 posts) - - Show Bio

Man of Steel was good, but I liked Birthright better. It was a pretty good modern take on Superman's origin. It wasn't perfect, with Leinil Yu's weakest art by far, and some Silver Age/Smallville elements that were included I felt were unnecessary, but it was overall a pretty good read. And I found Secret Origin to be immensely boring.

#5 Posted by lightsout (1829 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never read Byrne's, & it's been a while since I've read the other 2, but I'm going to have to go with Birthright

#6 Edited by FiguredOut95 (379 posts) - - Show Bio

bump.

#7 Posted by LaserLambert (636 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know, I went with Man of Steel, but it still had a lot of flaws. Birthright was alright, but it kinda made the same mistakes but the art sucked more, and I don't care for Lex Luthor as being Superman's friend from Smallville, that is an unnecessary leftover from the old Superboy comics, which at the time was lighthearted and fun, but to take elements from it and try to take them seriously is not in the spirit. Secret origin is just okay.

#8 Posted by FiguredOut95 (379 posts) - - Show Bio

bump.

#9 Posted by FiguredOut95 (379 posts) - - Show Bio

#10 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a fan of any of them but ill go with man of steel

My favorite origin is superman and the men of steel

#11 Posted by FiguredOut95 (379 posts) - - Show Bio

@stormbox: Yeah I love Morrison take on early Superman, I thought about including it but then I would have to include a bunch of others since it is post 52.

#12 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

#13 Edited by FiguredOut95 (379 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark:

"I did not include All Star and Earth One as they are alternate universe stories" <------ Description.

#14 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11626 posts) - - Show Bio

I really enjoyed Birthright. Very few things I disliked. Secret Origin was good too, but I enjoyed the former more.

#15 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@figuredout95 Yeah, I figured so (pun!), but I just wanted to put that out there. All-Star's four-panel condensation is still the best origin I've read.

#16 Posted by FiguredOut95 (379 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: Yeah I will give it to you All Star is pretty sweet and straight to the point.

#17 Posted by FiguredOut95 (379 posts) - - Show Bio

bump

#18 Posted by sinestro_GL (3160 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually, I myself like the version from the animated series above all else. I know it's fundamentally WRONG to make Brainiac of kryptonian origin, but I thought it worked well.

Otherwise, I voted for the Byrne version.

#19 Posted by xybernauts (858 posts) - - Show Bio

If I had to chose i'd be Birthright cause it's the only origin i've read on the list, but I prefer Morrision's origin in New 52 Action Comics. in it Brainiac is an alien computer virus that has spread across the universe to various planets, including Krypton. So while it caused Kryptons destruction, it was not from Krypton.