• 89 results
Posted by k4tzm4n (39491 posts) 1 year, 2 months ago

Poll: Favorite Superman Story (Comic Book Question of the Week) (300 votes)

All-Star Superman 32%
Brainiac 2%
Birthright 8%
The Death and Return of Superman 6%
Earth One 5%
For All Seasons 3%
For the Man Who has Everything 5%
Kingdom Come 10%
Last Son 2%
The Man of Steel 2%
Red Son 10%
Secret Identity 3%
Secret Origin 2%
Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? 3%
What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, And The American Way? 3%
Other 5%

This week we're celebrating Superman! Choose wisely and be sure to say why a certain story earned your love.

#51 Posted by Mrfuzzynutz (1023 posts) - - Show Bio

I am old school I guess, I always liked Panic in the Sky back during Dan Jurgens run lol. But I also would never call Kingdom Come a 'Superman' story, so all that being said I am going All Star!

#52 Posted by SmashBrawler (5601 posts) - - Show Bio

Even though Kingdom Come is my favorite comic book ever I don't really consider it a Superman story, so I'm going with All Star Superman. What can I say that hasn't been said before? Simply amazing.

#53 Posted by kilomac29 (323 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved All Star Superman so much that after I read the trade I bought the single issues and framed them to hang on my wall. Writing and art are just so amazing.

#54 Posted by hobanho (24 posts) - - Show Bio

I know it won't win, but I had to vote "For the man who has everything." Not even a huge Alan Moore fan, but I love this story. And the panel of Superman saying "Burn." and heat visioning the shit out of Mongul was pretty amazing.

#55 Edited by RDClip (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

Kingdom Come. Beautiful art, provocative themes, haunting story, jam-packed with thousands of characters and a deconstruction of the 90's XTREME phase.

For people who don't think it's a Superman story: Superman is the main character, his actions are the driving force in the plot, he begins and ends the conflict. Although there is a larger world surrounding him, it is ultimatelty a story about his self-imposed exile and becoming a hero once again.

#56 Posted by GrandHarrier (121 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman and the Legion of Super Heroes; Superman shows why he is a hero, even without his powers!

#57 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21401 posts) - - Show Bio

I wanted to chose an origin story but I chose allstarsuperman cause its my name. I liked birthrights main plot. I like secret origins art, costume, and the legion of superheroes. I liked man of steels way of making superman an American.

#58 Edited by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (10874 posts) - - Show Bio

All Star Superman It's the story that made me a Superman fan in the first place

#59 Posted by spidermonkey2099 (615 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow

2. For the Man Who Has Everything

3. All-Star Superman

4. Kingdom Come

5. What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way?

I can't wait to see the new movie this weekend!

#60 Posted by TheAmazingImmortalMan (2895 posts) - - Show Bio

I know my pick will not win but I couldn't bring myself to pick anything other than Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

#61 Edited by SOG7dc (6963 posts) - - Show Bio

#62 Edited by Fantasgasmic (1071 posts) - - Show Bio

All-Star Superman. No question.

Kingdom Come is great, but it's not a Superman story in my mind, it's a Justice League story.

For the Man Who Has Everything was adapted into an amazing episode of the Justice League cartoon, but in my mind, the simplification of the story makes it better than the original story. If the adaptation is better than the original, it can't be my favorite.

Red Son is one of my favorite Elseworlds stories becuase it's SO different from how we normally see Superman, but All-Star is better because it's the epitome of how we normally see Superman.

What Ever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow is great and was obviously the major inspiration for All-Star Superman, but the ending of it always bothers me. First off, having Jimmy and Lana die makes me sad, then having Superman give up his powers and wander into the frozen Arctic to die as penance for killing is REALLY sad, but I understand it! But to find out he faked his own death AND faked losing his powers doesn't sound like Superman to me. If he really did give up his powers but faked his death to live as Jordan Elliot, I could get behind that, but the whole he really has his powers, :wink: just rubs me the wrong way!

Superman dies in All-Star Superman as well, but it never makes me sad. He saved everyone, he didn't compromise his values, and he may not technically be dead.

I thought about voting Other for Superman for All Seasons, but Book 4 doesn't feel like a fitting climax, and OTHER never wins.

#63 Posted by soldierofel (180 posts) - - Show Bio

It's really hard to pick which one. My personal top three would be: All star superman, Birthright and probably secret origin. Although my vote has to got to Birthright. The art and overall story were utterly amazing. You can tell that they used some of Birthright in Man of steel. Anyway that's my choice. And three more days till The king returns to take his throne.

#64 Edited by Shallbecomeabattoo (366 posts) - - Show Bio

All Star, followed by Birthright, followed by Camelot Falls.

Sadly, as much as I love Kal-El (he is my second favorite superhero), I have to admit that there are not thaaaaaat many great books I love rereading. With other characters I love, like Batman, Daredevil, John Constantine, there are so many great stories, I could reread all year. Really sad.

#65 Posted by Gray_Star (10 posts) - - Show Bio

My vote for "What's So Funny..." I find the structure of the history of All-Star Superman so weird.

#66 Posted by JamDamage (1114 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted for Kingdom Come even tho it's not a pure Superman story. It's a Justice League story. My favorite story is not even on here. Why is "For Tomorrow" not on here. I thought it would since Jim Lee was the artist on this story, and it was great. I kind of want to take my vote away now, because Kingdom Come is not a pure Superman story. Plus I hated All-Star Superman.

#67 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

I went with all star but i'm disappointed with the lack of love for secret identity

#68 Posted by ScarletBatman (364 posts) - - Show Bio

All-Star by far.

If DC made stories like that, Superman would be selling like gangbusters.

#69 Edited by arw1985 (39 posts) - - Show Bio

There are a lot of good stories to pick from: Brainiac, Birthright, Man of Steel, etc. If I had to immediately grab one and take it on a trip to read, it would probably be Birthright. It's just a great origin for Superman.

#70 Edited by ShadowSwordmaster (13468 posts) - - Show Bio

All-Star Superman

#71 Posted by 4th_wind (21 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to give it to All-Star Superman. Birthright, Kingdom Come, Earth 1 are all great also (and Birthright is my all time fave origin) but no Superman story is everything I think the character needs like it.

#72 Posted by lightsout (1827 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't choose, they're like my children. I picked All-Star just because it's freshest in memory. If the technical wording was "best story" I would have picked Red Son (LOVE the twist!) -- but I couldn't choose it as "best Superman story" because he wasn't the Superman we know & love for most of the story.

#73 Posted by frostphoenix (40 posts) - - Show Bio

All-star superman. It was really good and also fun to read. If you haven't read it give it a try it won't disappoint you and you will have a great time.

#74 Posted by tensor (4098 posts) - - Show Bio

Kingdom come

#75 Edited by sweatboy (804 posts) - - Show Bio

My favorite story is not there (Which is the Elseworld story The Last Family of Krypton)... So I chose my second favorite. (Current continuity doesn't bode well with me when it comes to Supes.)

@colonelrunaway said:

You did good, Comicvine.

You did good.

Sorry...

Hahaha! I haven't read Earth One completely, but i thought there were interesting parts to it. Clark in a hood, come on now that is cool. I voted Birthright. (have yet to read it)

#76 Edited by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

Not only is What's So Funny About Truth,Justice,&The American Way my favorite Superman story, it's one of my favorite comics of ALL TIME!

Great story with an even better message.

#77 Posted by mightyrearranger (1490 posts) - - Show Bio

What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way, for sure.

Kingdom Come would be a close 2nd.

#78 Edited by jonny126 (14 posts) - - Show Bio

It has to be All Star Superman. Whenever I have a friend who goes on about how Superman is lame and uninteresting, I give them my copy of All Star and they shut right the hell up.

#79 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Birthright.

All Star is brilliant, but reading about Superman's origin is more enjoyable than reading about his death

#80 Edited by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

All-Star Superman, simple as that.

#81 Posted by DDangelico (219 posts) - - Show Bio

Reeeeeally wanted to pick Birthright--but All-Star is my favorite comic book...

#82 Edited by Onemoreposter (4006 posts) - - Show Bio

Had to go with John Byrne's Man of Steel. The revamped origin story after Crisis on Infinite Earths redefined Superman, Kyrpton, Luthor, and the rest of Kal's supporting cast for 20 years. I have a very strong feeling that the new Superman movie franchise is going to be drawing heavily from the cold emotionless krypton we saw in the Man of Steel comic as well as things like Clark's parents being alive and (even though I have no reason to believe this) an industrial tycoon Lex Luthor.

Iconic

#83 Edited by impossibilly (885 posts) - - Show Bio

I came very close to voting for Kingdom Come, but then I saw Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow on the list. I bought that on the newsstand when it first came out. The story blew my mind then and still hold up today. My number two would be Kingdom Come and my number three would be All-Star Superman.

#84 Edited by hectorsquall (1137 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman: Secret Identity

THAT was one epic story! happy

I won't deny that some of the other books on this list are great Superman stories but this one was different and it really struck a chord with me. The creative team was just phenomenal and this amazing story is accessible to anyone, Superman fans or not.

Seriously, this book deserves more love! love struck

#85 Posted by sora_thekey (8159 posts) - - Show Bio

@sweatboy: I actually loved Earth One. The art is beautiful and the story was different but not so different it strayed from the Superman icon. It's sort of like Smallville but with better acting. Plus, I really want to cosplay that cover...

#86 Posted by FlashKnight (451 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved The Death of Superman most - showed how he is not invincible.

#87 Posted by EpicMeltDown (64 posts) - - Show Bio

So if you look at the top five Superman stories as voted by readers so far:

All Star Superman 33%

Kingdom Come 10%

Red Son 9%

Birthright 8%

Death and Return of Superman 7%

It seems most people prefer a Superman story that's out of continuity or in which he dies. What does that say about the way the character gets handled?

#88 Posted by SmashBrawler (5601 posts) - - Show Bio

@epicmeltdown: Death and Return wasn't that good. People are probably picking it because that's where they started to read Superman since a lot of people started to read the Superbooks thanks to that event. In fact, it's kinda funny that the story's best known as "The Death and Return of Superman" when Funeral for a Friend was easily better than the actual death and better than most of the return.

#89 Posted by ccraft (5169 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't believe All Star Superman is getting so many votes, I've only watched the movie it was good, but seemed all over the place.

Comixology is having a $0.99 sale for Superman and I just bought Kingdom Come & Red Son

#90 Edited by sweatboy (804 posts) - - Show Bio

@sora_thekey: it's Superman, in a HOODIE, it was a cool cover. I think clothes and story was more contemporary from what previews I've seen, he has a phone call with his mother, giving it a Spider Man feel, we see a scrawny kid who could barely fit into football gear take on guys like... 4 times his size? But would Supes have sold his abilities for money?

As an origin story though, John Byrne's Man of Steel is what I prefer, I bought the book a few months ago but haven't read all of it. I read the end where Lois finds Superman and they tell Lois who he is. Earth One was not canon yes? 52 kicked in soon after anyway. Birthright seems to offer more about the super HERO over the SUPER hero. And D&R has some mock/serious questions that answer themselves. Kids ask him questions, like what superheroes do in their spare time (I think that was a hint at how fans could be dumb) and Superman gets some final public words. There's a house burning, and Supes has to make the decision to chase Doomsday or save the family. Very interesting. Given Eradicator and Superboy's entrances, it'll be my favourite