Favorite Movies VOTING: Bryan Singer's X2 vs. X-Men: Days of Future Past

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Favorite Movies VOTING: Bryan Singer's X2 vs. X-Men: Days of Future Past (248 votes)

X2 20%
X-Men: Days of Future Past 60%
I love both of them 16%
Sorry, I'm not a fan of either 3%
It brings me great shame to admit I haven't watched both and won't be able to before Friday 2%

The X-Men cinematic universe continues to expand, but this week, we want to reflect on two of its chapters by director Bryan Singer: X2 and X-Men: Days of Future Past. 2003's sequel ramped up the excitement, focused on Wolverine's dark history, and opened with an unforgettable action scene involving Nightcrawler. The latest installment focused on setting the franchise back on the right track and teased a very thrilling future for these iconic characters. Both are thoroughly enjoyable movies, but we want to know if you have a preference between these two films.

We know this won't be one of the easiest decisions around for some of you and we want to point out there's no need to make up your mind just yet. Voting will stay open until Friday morning (ET), so that should give you a proper amount of time to really think this one through or even re-watch both of these movies. Once the poll is closed, we'll post an article on Friday with the voting percentages and highlight some of the community's posts. That means if you're going to vote, we really encourage you to share your thoughts with us, too. If the post's excellent enough there's a chance we'll feature it in the updated article! Does a certain performance help boost one of these movies? A specific mutant's role won you over? An awesome action sequence dropped your jaw? We want to hear from you! So, which will it be, Viners?

Check the homepage this Friday to see which movie wins and why. In the meantime, feel free to make future match-up suggestions in the comments below or tell us via Twitter.

• 
MrValance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@ducey13 said:

X2 by a mile. I also prefer First Class over DOFP.

indeed I saw a lot wrong with dofp, to a point I was getting pissed off while watching it, I wanted to have a good time, and I wanted to not be critical, you just check out that part of my brain at the door, but the movie just kept throwing things at me it was like singer was pissed that someone else played with his toys( which he gave up.....to direct superman returns, which speaks for itself) he had a rage boner for his own work, he even undid things done in first class, he went as far as to kill off 4 characters off which no one can say was to make the movie less cluttered, it was just to replace them with characters HE wanted to introduce. how about the end where 7 sentinels disappear and climax is a repeat of the intro and mystique pointing a gun at magneto, the whole climax was confused and had a lot ofwierd things going on. at the end of the day the only reason I cant say I hate the movie because the theme of hope and exchange between the 2 xaviers was good really got to me, but its one of the lesser xmen movies and lesser superhero- no its just not THAT great of a movie period. x2 gets my vote

MrValance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X-men Days of Futures Past.

X-2 while still a solid film, just kinda rolled through the motions of superhero films. There's a bad guy, and the heroes and villains have to team-up in order to defeat them. While Days of Future Past do all of that, but in a fresh unique way. Days of Future Past actually raises some deep philosophical questions about time-travel and the redemption arc of Xavier has more character development than X-2 does with any of it's characters.

Days of Futures Past has really only two flaws, one being that it's a waste of space having Magneto tell Wolverine that Mystique kills Trask in Paris. Than the film shows the audience how she figures that out by breaking into Trask Industries. We already know that she gets there, we don't need to see how. The second is that Quicksilver just kinda comes in, does his stuff, and is than never talked about again. He just kinda comes and goes.....like Quicksilver, I guess.

Also the cast from X-men First Class is better than the cast from X-2....there I said it. Michael Fassbender is the perfect Magneto, Jennifer Lawrence is fantastic as Mystique (and drop dead gorgeous), and James McAvory while not yet looking like his comic book counter-part as much as Patrick Stewart does...nails the personality down to a tee.

firstly Rebecca romijn is doesn't suffer from spiderman whiney-ness-ess(and over exposure in teen flicks), secondly while x2 rolled through the motions of a basic story so did the avengers and dofp as a story is just terminator just instead of sending back arnold Schwarzenegger they sent back wolverine(kitty in the comics) that and shove mutants in as the protagonist/antagonists and blam-o ripoff

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seem how's I'm one of the few who actually hated X2, and thought DOFP was one of the greatest superhero movies ever made, I'm gonna go DOFP

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I picked X2. I know its not going to win. Even personally I enjoyed DoFP more....i THINK!

X2 was grand. X1 was amazing because we hadnt seen something on that level in a long time, and if you were a comics fan, you were ecstatic regardless. X2 got more into the unbelievable but at the same time tugged at reality more. Simply said, X2 was fantastic.

However, DoFP was a pretty great storyline with a fantastic cast. As an X-Men fan, and even if I wasnt, I loved it.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They were both great but DOFP was a bit better in my mind.

The Lobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By The Lobster

@mrvalance said:

@the_lobster_ said:

X-men Days of Futures Past.

X-2 while still a solid film, just kinda rolled through the motions of superhero films. There's a bad guy, and the heroes and villains have to team-up in order to defeat them. While Days of Future Past do all of that, but in a fresh unique way. Days of Future Past actually raises some deep philosophical questions about time-travel and the redemption arc of Xavier has more character development than X-2 does with any of it's characters.

Days of Futures Past has really only two flaws, one being that it's a waste of space having Magneto tell Wolverine that Mystique kills Trask in Paris. Than the film shows the audience how she figures that out by breaking into Trask Industries. We already know that she gets there, we don't need to see how. The second is that Quicksilver just kinda comes in, does his stuff, and is than never talked about again. He just kinda comes and goes.....like Quicksilver, I guess.

Also the cast from X-men First Class is better than the cast from X-2....there I said it. Michael Fassbender is the perfect Magneto, Jennifer Lawrence is fantastic as Mystique (and drop dead gorgeous), and James McAvory while not yet looking like his comic book counter-part as much as Patrick Stewart does...nails the personality down to a tee.

firstly Rebecca romijn is doesn't suffer from spiderman whiney-ness-ess(and over exposure in teen flicks), secondly while x2 rolled through the motions of a basic story so did the avengers and dofp as a story is just terminator just instead of sending back arnold Schwarzenegger they sent back wolverine(kitty in the comics) that and shove mutants in as the protagonist/antagonists and blam-o ripoff

Lex, help me out buddy....

No Caption Provided

Thanks....

Okay, so Rebecca Romijin while a fantastic actress, does nothing as Mystique but look nice. Describe her character in 5 words without describing how she looks and using not what you know of from the comics. Only what the film itself says.... There's nothing. The only glimpse of a character we get is when Nightcrawler asks why she doesn't just use her powers to fit in and she replies because they shouldn't have to....Okay, so she's self-confident......Now look at Jennifer Lawrence's version of Mystique. Well, she's proud of her appearance, hense the whole "mutant and proud" thing. So it's nice they used that self-confidence thing from Rebecca's version. But what's this? She's also vengeful towards the human race and considers them shallow, shown when she criticizes the man she seduces "what's wrong baby, don't you like me like this?" but also believes that killing humans isn't the answer, shown when she decided not to kill Trask and decides to not resort to killing for the first time in her life. So she has standards or at least develops them by the end of the film. She's given a chance to change and rejects that change? Hurm....Sounds like a character to me, and not just eye candy.

I don't see her as whiney at all, in fact throughout most of the movie. She doesn't just complain about things, she sets out to change them. So she's proactive (Another character trait). She doesn't say, "oh-boo-whoo, I might start a horrible war." She actually says "Screw-it, I'm doing what I think is right and nobody can stop me." It's not till she learns that her decisions have consequences that she decides to change (or not change).....But even if I am wrong and she is just whiney. I'll take a whiney character, over hollow empty eye-candy, any day.

Now....As for your Terminator comparison. Sure there are similarities, but to say it's a ripoff is kinda untrue. If anything, it just borrows heavily from that genre. For starters Days of Future Past is much more complex than just the typical cat and mouse movie that Terminator is. Wolverine doesn't have to just go back and kill someone to save the future, actually it's the opposite. He has to save someone from someone else by helping another person grow and escape their self-loathing and pity. So that person can help the other person not change as a character .....Whoa, talk about some complex layers of character development there...... Another difference is what makes the change, In Terminator they kill the bad guy chasing them and that changes the future. In Days of Future Past deciding to not kill the bad guy and proving that someone can take the higher path and be someone beyond what society thinks they are, changes the future. That's much more philosophical and a much better message than Terminator's "Anyone can create something that is special" message.

I guess to each his own.

Super_Buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mismatch.

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry to much wolverine for me to like either.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Loved both of them to death. Although I wished that they had more focus on religion during X2 because that movie was based on my favorite X-Men story "God Loves, Man kills"

Avatar image for surfingthehighway
SurfingtheHighway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrvalance: While I liked DOFP more than I liked X2, I get where you're coming from, specially regarding the ending.

(SPOILERS) I was expecting Magneto to order the Sentinels to attack humans, to make people aware of how dangerous Sentinels can atually be, but instead he went for a plan that made absolutely no sense; I don't think scaring humans into respecting mutants would have worked, IMO it would have had the opposite effect...