• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Edited 8 months, 21 days ago

Poll: Favorite Comic Runs VOTING: Scott Snyder's The Black Mirror vs. Death of the Family (238 votes)

The Black Mirror 52%
Death of the Family 42%
Unfortunately, I haven't read either. Shame on me. 6%

Scott Snyder continues to create a whole new mythos for Batman with Zero Year, but this week, we want to look back at the creative writer's work with the iconic character. In the latest edition of 'Favorite Comic Runs,' we're placing Snyder's brilliant pre-52 story, The Black Mirror, against his gripping story in the New 52, Death of the Family. Will you side with the Joker's plan to tear Bruce Wayne's family apart or will you support the arc that puts Dick Grayson's detective abilities to the test?

The poll is open until Friday morning (ET). That should give you plenty of time to think this one through and then vote, right? And if you haven't read either story, you now have about four days to rectify that mistake. Or, you can be totally lazy and just vote for the "I haven't read either" option. The choice is yours, but voting for that option is pretty lame. After you vote, please jump into the comments and get your elaboration on. Give the winning story a good amount of love and there's a chance we'll include it in Friday's article as the "Viner Post of the Week." Getting the post of the week isn't up there with winning a medal or anything like that, but it gives you a little bit of bragging rights!

Last but most definitely not least, give the Comic Viner space4rennt your praise in the comments below. They were the first person to correctly guess this match-up based on last week's teaser image. Well played, space4rennt.

Check the homepage on Friday to see which story won and why. In the meantime, feel free to make future match-up suggestions in the comments below or via Twitter.

#1 Posted by k4tzm4n (51017 posts) - - Show Bio

And yes, this is only taking into account the Death of the Family issues that are written by Snyder!

#2 Edited by entropy_aegis (15472 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

And yes, this is only taking into account the Death of the Family issues that are written by Snyder!

That makes it worse,Tomasi's tie inns were much better than the main story.

#3 Posted by Black_Arrow (3676 posts) - - Show Bio

the Death of the family was terrible.

Black mirror was good.

#4 Edited by Outside_85 (9927 posts) - - Show Bio

DotF was alot of hype with little to zero payoff. While Black Mirror practically made Snyders name in DC, and for a good reason.

#5 Posted by Jphu8414 (3875 posts) - - Show Bio

I for one actually thought Death of the Family was great

But Black Mirror was amazing, might be the best Batman work from Scott Snyder imo

#6 Edited by AndyPhifer (106 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, Death of the Family actually made me give up on Batman comics all together. It was just so uninteresting. That was the last DC book I cared about...

Black Mirror is 100% perfect though.

#7 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6364 posts) - - Show Bio

Unfortunately, I haven't read either. Shame on me.

#8 Posted by HushoftheWind (1110 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Mirror felt like a deep Batman TAS episodic saga.

#9 Posted by Wolverine08 (45086 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually read Death of the Family. Pretty anti climatic to be frank.

#10 Posted by akbogert (3227 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't anticipate this will even be close. I liked Death of the Family well enough but Black Mirror was something altogether different, quality-wise.

#11 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34315 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by CheeseSticks (2567 posts) - - Show Bio

Death of the Family made me drop Batman. Black Mirror wins by default, since DOTF was horrible.

#13 Posted by LiveForever (312 posts) - - Show Bio

Surprisingly, Black Mirror. EXCELLENT story.

#14 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

Black mirror

#15 Posted by nigravirum1 (146 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is everyone hating on Death of the Family???? I thought it was one of the best joker stories ever!

#16 Edited by iaconpoint (1363 posts) - - Show Bio

The Black Mirror was more well thought out with better twists and turns. Death of the Family seemed like it was Snyder trying too hard to make sure we knew that Joker has a seemingly borderline (or not even borderline) homoerotic lust of Batman. The ending was cool and so was Batman punching the horse, but lots of the rest was tedious and a bit too drawn out.

#17 Posted by impossibilly (892 posts) - - Show Bio

Having read both, Black Mirror gets my vote, no contest. Court of Owls vs. Black Mirror would be a harder choice for me.

#18 Edited by fallbrigade (117 posts) - - Show Bio

Tough choice. I thoroughly enjoyed both but I think Black Mirror wins it for me.

#19 Posted by MrTummyTumms (855 posts) - - Show Bio

@outside_85: What do you mean? The conclusion pretty much made the Batfamily question their trust in Batman.

#20 Posted by RustyRoy (13543 posts) - - Show Bio

the Death of the family was terrible.

This. I haven't read Black Mirror.

#21 Posted by judasnixon (6950 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't read either, because I don't like Batman....... That's right I don't like Batman.

#22 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (5218 posts) - - Show Bio

This isn't even close. Black Mirror by a landslide. DoTF was mediocre at best.

#23 Posted by SynCig (565 posts) - - Show Bio

The Black Mirror. I like Death of the Family quite a bit but it can't compare to Black Mirror. I would be torn if this was Court of Owls vs Black Mirror because those are two of my all time favorite Batman stories. DOTF really nailed the relationship between Batman and Joker but even still, I think the brief appearance of The Joker in Black Mirror is still my favorite Joker moment written by Snyder.

#24 Posted by Lazz33 (28 posts) - - Show Bio

I did my service and read Death of the Family , but I barely got through it. I know its a crime, especially here, to not like Batman, but I just couldn't get on board with DOTF. I enjoyed Black Mirror, probably the last Bats story I did enjoy, but the New 52 hasn't kept my interest outside of Swamp Thing and Animal Man.

#25 Posted by cobra88king8 (345 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Mirror is a masterpiece, how could Death of the Family even compete

#26 Edited by YoungJustice (6887 posts) - - Show Bio

Pre-New 52 DoTF could maybe compete, but New 52 can't touch Black Mirror.

#27 Posted by mark15 (72 posts) - - Show Bio

Having read both, Black Mirror gets my vote, no contest. Court of Owls vs. Black Mirror would be a harder choice for me.

this

#28 Posted by McBig (94 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh man this is tough they were both so amazing. But I liked the whole james jr storyline better.

#29 Edited by CheeseSticks (2567 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is everyone hating on Death of the Family???? I thought it was one of the best joker stories ever!

I think you need to read more Joker story. Just the fact that Joker wore his skin as a mask is a terrible concept.

#30 Posted by patrat18 (10676 posts) - - Show Bio

What was wrong with Death of the family?

#31 Posted by Lazz33 (28 posts) - - Show Bio

@nigravirum1 said:

I think you need to read more Joker story. Just the fact that Joker wore his skin as a mask is a terrible concept.

This

#32 Posted by Outside_85 (9927 posts) - - Show Bio

@outside_85: What do you mean? The conclusion pretty much made the Batfamily question their trust in Batman.

Which amounted to just about zero change in how things worked in the Bat-family. It had much more of an impact that Damian died and Bruce started his own version of guilt-tripping on them all in an attempt to bring him back.

#33 Posted by G_Money_Christmas (884 posts) - - Show Bio

Death of the Family seemed to stick with me more but I wasn't a fan of the ending. I felt it was a little anti-climactic for the build-up he made. It was a close call but I had to choose DotF.

#34 Posted by MrTummyTumms (855 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrtummytumms said:

Which amounted to just about zero change in how things worked in the Bat-family. It had much more of an impact that Damian died and Bruce started his own version of guilt-tripping on them all in an attempt to bring him back.

But it happened in the Batman title. So I don't think we'll see anything either until Batman is out of Zero Year or sometime in Batman Eternal.

#35 Posted by HempKnight757 (130 posts) - - Show Bio

@cheesesticks: Well if you think that is purely the whole concept of the story maybe you should reread it.

#36 Edited by HempKnight757 (130 posts) - - Show Bio

@andyphifer: I'm really sorry to hear that. How many issues did you make it thru?

#37 Posted by QueenCorp15 (1035 posts) - - Show Bio

Gradually over time Black Mirror has started to become my fav Dick Grayson ( whos my all time fav character) story, it is also starting to become my fav batman story, and it is BY FAR the best gordon story of all time , an the fact Jock drew it makes it even better

#38 Posted by aquaman01 (1843 posts) - - Show Bio

Ignoring how DOTF was one of the most over-hyped Snyder stories, it was very disappointing. Besides good artwork and making the Joker serious, it didn't...feel epic or even intense. It tried, but there wasn't really anything I cared about (except for the scene where Joker killed the cops and Batman pulling a gun on Gordon). Lets not even talk about the why the batman group disbanded...

However, Black Mirror is a masterpiece. I found James Jr. to be awesome and Snyder's writing was amazing. Add that Francesco and Jock are amazing artists, this is one of my favorite Snyder storyline.

#39 Posted by NightFang (10197 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked both equally.

#40 Posted by mak13131313 (622 posts) - - Show Bio

Having read and enjoyed both of them equally, it was a hard vote. But I voted for..... I'm not telling. Ha!

#41 Edited by The_Tree (7865 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going with The Black Mirror. While I don't hate Death of the Family, I found it largely mediocre in terms of story.

What makes The Black Mirror phenomenal is its art. With the colors and inks, we really get a sense of the creepy atmosphere-- the emphasis on reds, from the bloody carnage we see to the night sky in Gotham. Heavy shadows are everywhere. Francesco Francavilla and Jock kill it, with the former creating a good noir vibe for the Gordon portions and the latter creating a similarly noir vibe but also mixing in the high energy superhero action that comes with Dick Grayson. Jock's panel layouts are especially brilliant as well, I could look at Dick diving off a rooftop for days.

The thing I like about Snyder's writing for this is that he tackled ideas that I, nor many others, thought about, like what happened to Gordon's son in all this time or where'd the crowbar used to beat Jason Todd end up. It's just so ridiculously ingenious and ties in greatly with the Batmythos. Another aspect I enjoyed from Snyder's story as well, is that he put emphasis on the technology that aids the Bat-family, from projectile finger tasers all the way up to EMP masks and even flight-capable armored Bat-suits.

Snyder really dug deep into the minds of the characters he was writing, and he along with the people he worked with really hit this one out of the park. It's astounding to think that this is his first Batman story. It's no wonder DC gave him the keys to the kingdom.

#42 Posted by zombietag (1502 posts) - - Show Bio

theyre both awesome, but black mirror was more creative and more suprisingly awesome

#43 Posted by Experio (16940 posts) - - Show Bio

Liked both. Black Mirror was more enjoyable imo.

#44 Edited by arw1985 (39 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked both, but I'm gonna have go go with the Black Mirror.

#45 Posted by NewKid (367 posts) - - Show Bio

I do like DOTF, but this is absolutely no contest for me. Black Mirror is one of my all time faves.

#46 Posted by Shallbecomeabattoo (368 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Mirror. Dotf was great and I really really love it a lot, BUT Black Mirror is one of the best Batman stories of all time and the best thing Snyder has done until today. Mainly its ahead of Snyders other Batman stuff because here he sticks the landing 100%, while Dotf ended a bit wobbly and Court of the Owls ending even broke a foot.

#47 Posted by CheeseSticks (2567 posts) - - Show Bio

@cheesesticks: Well if you think that is purely the whole concept of the story maybe you should reread it.

I didn't say it was the WHOLE concept of the story. I said it was a bad concept to have Joker face like that.

#48 Edited by TDK_1997 (15080 posts) - - Show Bio

The Black Mirror no contest at all.Death of the Family is probably one of the most overrated story arcs ever.The effect from it was more than nothing and was just unbelieavable how disappointing it was.

#49 Posted by monsterduc (88 posts) - - Show Bio

Why would you pit Death of the Family (while still great) against the Dark Mirror instead of The Court of Owls? This would have been a WAAAAAY better choice.

#50 Posted by staypuffed (150 posts) - - Show Bio

Zero Year is better than both of them.