Favorite Comic Runs VOTING: Matt Fraction's HAWKEYE vs. THE IMMORTAL IRON FIST

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Favorite Comic Runs VOTING: Matt Fraction's HAWKEYE vs. THE IMMORTAL IRON FIST (193 votes)

Hawkeye 41%
The Immortal Iron Fist 43%
Unfortunately, I haven't read either. Shame on me. 16%

Matt Fraction, welcome to the Favorite Comic Runs' spotlight!

This week, we're taking a look at two books we absolutely love by the creative mind. Collaborating with Ed Brubaker, Fraction created the very awesome THE IMMORTAL IRON FIST. His time with Danny Rand is an epic adventure that's full of excitement and total badassery. It's a story that'll transform you into an Iron Fist fan and you simply cannot miss it. Meanwhile, Fraction's well-known for his recent work with Clint Broton Barton. HAWKEYE's a pure delight and a wonderfully unique book that's guaranteed to earn your emotional investment and will leave you smiling (most of the time, that is).

To make matters even better, the very talented David Aja and Matt Hollingsworth have produced gorgeous pages for of these stories. The two books are entirely praiseworthy, but if you had to pick one over the other, which Fraction epic would you side with and why? Prepare to vote!

Chi or bro?

Haven't read either story or want to reread them before voting? No worries, the poll is open until Friday morning (ET)! That should give you more than enough time to think this one through and cast your vote. Additionally, that's plenty of time to rally support for the story you're siding with and chat with your fellow Viners about both runs. If your post is legitimately stellar, there's a chance we'll include it in Friday's article as the "Viner Post of the Week." Each Friday we highlight one post for each story, so be sure to get your elaboration on.

Last but most definitely not least, everyone bow down before the Comic Viner Sawcesome. They were the first person to correctly guess this match-up based on last week's teaser image and you should strongly consider throwing a party in their honor. Well done, Sawcesome.

Check the homepage on Friday to see which story won and why. In the meantime, feel free to make future match-up suggestions in the comments below or via Twitter.

• 
impossibilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Both are great series, but my vote goes to Hawkeye. I feel like Fraction and Aja have perfected with Hawkeye what they did so great in Iron Fist.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I won't vote because I haven't read Iron Fist and I heard it is great...

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@squalleon said:

You have until Friday to read it! Fraction's time with the book goes until #17. There's also an omnibus, but that may be harder to get in time (unless your local store has it in stock).

https://www.comixology.com/Immortal-Iron-Fist/comics-series/917

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

@squalleon said:

You have until Friday to read it! Fraction's time with the book goes until #17.

https://www.comixology.com/Immortal-Iron-Fist/comics-series/917

Can't enter comixology, my password changed and I didn't get a mail to change it to something of my liking and digital comics aren't my liking since I don't have smartphone or tablet :-P and I like to feel that own something.
Also I have found the omnibus for 50€ so I am getting that :-):-):-)

LCazT1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I haven't read either, sadly. :( But they're on my (very extensive) list of books I need to read.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By MakkyD

An excuse to use my Marvel Unlimited subscription!

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By SoA

ik the lame hawkeye run will run , but immortal iron fist FTW !!!

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@soa said:

ik the lame hawkeye run will run , but immortal iron fist FTW !!!

The poll has been open for under 2 hours and you're already throwing in the towel? Convince your fellow viners WHY you think IF should win! Get more people to vote! Etc.

gunmetalgrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gunmetalgrey

My choice is the Immortal Iron Fist, but it feels almost wrong to vote. We're supposedly comparing Fraction's run on both series, but I can't tell what percentage of IIF he worked on. There's no doubt in my mind that Bru had a big hand in that run's success.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Billy Batson

The Immortal Iron Fist.

Hawkguy started well but varies in quality and comes late.

BB

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

The Immortal Iron Fist.Hawkeye has never impressed me that much despite all the worship it gets from other users on the site and the comic book community.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My choice is the Immortal Iron Fist, but it feels almost wrong to vote. We're supposedly comparing Fraction's run on both series, but I can't tell what percentage of IIF he worked on. There's no doubt in my mind that Bru had a big hand in that run's success.

That bothered me too but we compare runs not how much the creator participated, the vote should go for the best.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#13  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@gunmetalgrey: Bru said most of it is Fraction all he really did was add a few plot ideas.

I voted the Immortal Iron Fist. As much as I love Hawkeye I think Fractions run on Iron Fist is probably his greatest work to date. He took everything you have ever loved about superheroes and 70s Martial Art films and married them in a way that results in perfection. Immortal Iron First is hilarious, action packed, heart breaking and at times kinda scarey. The world of Iron Fist has never had so much development since his original introduction in the 70s. Fraction massively expanded on K'un Lun and the other Capital Cities of Heaven as well as introducing the Immortal Weapons. He also expanded the legacy of the Iron Fist itself by introducing the past 66 Living Weapons that held the title before Danny and in doing so created possibly the biggest badass in the Marvel Universe, Orson Randall.

Also I would like to point out that the Immortal Iron Fist has the greatest foreword in literature:

Kung Fu Is A Thing Of The Spirit: Why The Immortal Iron Fist Is The Greatest Story Ever Conceived And Told

There are many people in this world. Some of them are mailmen. Others are hairdressers. Even more still work at the post office. I myself am a master of the deadly fighting secrets.

You want to know my name? i could tell you my name. But then I would have to kill you, your whole family, everybody you've ever met, and everybody they have ever met to cover my trail. I am that deadly, and that hunted. You've heard of the six degrees of separation? Well i am the three degrees of totally killing you.

So instead allow me to tell you a little bit about me so you might better get to know me:

You would pass me on the street and think nothing of me, save that I am ruggedly handsome and clearly moneyed; visually I resemble nothing more than a well-to-do chap of classy breeding. Very classy breeding. But I am not a be-monocled fancy sort of lah-dee-dah how-do-you-do with a top hat and spats, but a real street-level workingman's manly man. Joe Lunchpail looks at me with awe and envy for my lunchpail is made of rubies and is filled with tastefully erotic photographs of my lady.

Now, the very most perceptive of you might intuit via your chi vessels and inner chakras that I am of noblesse oblige as our friends the Spanish would say. And that would intrigue you. Arouse you, even, if I was your type, and I probably am. Who am I, a total stranger walking past you on the streets of Chicago with a selection of magazine subscription cards in hand and ready for mailing, and why have I evoked such a strong feeling within you? Why are you compelled to kick me?

Because you, friend, have the kung fu spirit about you. And we know our own, oftentimes by scent. If you could bottle it, you could call it Hai Kung Fu (which is Japanese for 'Hello Kung Fu Master') but you cannot bottle it so don't even try. Why would you do that? It doesn't make sense and it is very stupid. Time wastingly stupid. Kung Fu masters don't waste time. They don't have time to waste.

If you are reading these words now then you are of the spirit. You have tried to kick me on the street, perhaps on your way to your own local mailbox to drop off some letters or pay some bills. And at the mailbox I have kicked back. We are brothers and sisters of the spirit of kung fu, of karate, of boxing, of whatever fighting style you find is the most awesomest. And kung fu is a thing of the spirit. All martial arts are things of the spirit. Even the spirit of kung fu is a thing of the spirit and I am a spiritual master. I mastered spirituality when I was twelve years old and made my lifes mission to keep it, and other deadly secrets like it, safe and secure inside and behind the clenched fist and brutal foot of my own savage nobility. It is not a burden to be this amazing, but rather, it is an honor. A spiritual honor.

Yes; kung fu is a thing of the spirit. And I was honored to accept the award for the Best Spirituality by the seventeen Shadow Shao-Lin Masters of Black Wuxia as a fifteen-year-old boy, not yet a man, but manly especially for a boy and proud. It was there my journey began. It was a journey that is 100% identical to your own.

You can stop reading this introduction now because it will be like reading a mirror and it will probably be a real "freak out".

I, like you, and like Daniel Rand, the hero of these pages, have discovered I was the scion of a kung-fu legacy; that my father was pushed off a mountain by his best friend; that is was a Himalayan mountain I happened to be on as a young boy of six, alongside my mother, in spite of any and all matters of logic or safety one might encounter when preparing a trek to and through the Himalayans; that mu mother, running from my dead dad's best friend, was totally eaten by wolves right in front of me, and that I then found a magical city ruled by arcane law and kung fu fighting tournaments and a woeful disregard as to the safety of its children.

You hear me? My dad is DEAD. My mom is DEAD. You best respect that. For then I punched a dragon in the face and I was a man. A man with numerous awards, a lot of money, the love and respect of a foxy boxing woman, and a golden sash. The world was my oyster, my fists were cocktail sauce, my feet just a splash of lemon. Served up over the bed of ice that was my life, I was the meal that walked like a man, kicked like a stallion, and loved like a Centaur.

These stories, friends, masters, and fellow philatelists, are our stories, you see? Our story. Singular. One story. It was Shakespeare who probably said that there's just one story and man was he right, I think.

Like you, I have fought these men and woman. I have broken their bones as they have broken mine. I have dwelled in forgotten science cities and discovered my name in books I did not write. and not the phonebook either, wisenheimer, I mean like real books, real old books, like you get on eBay. And I too have made wishes on my birthday. That most sacred and secret ritual, of blowing out a candle affixed to the top of a delicious celebratory pastry, and making your very dearest wish, was how I knew this book was created by men and women like us. Like me. That I was reading my own biography. That I had written my own biography, only it was not by me, or about me. My biography was about someone else.

The names in these pages, willfully obscured of course, betray not the identities of the heroic souls that actually lived these stories. The details are there, though, so that those of us in the know can totally have our minds "blown" by the inside jokes that make us all feel like real big shots. Our friends, foes, lovers, frenemies, Friendsters, Facebooks, and Baron Von Broheims present in these pages only serve to reinforce the realness that's about to be dropped on your ass.

This book is the real, raw deal. The stories it tells are the way we live and love our lives and lovers respectively. This is the way it really is when you are ranked on the list of the World's Most Deadliest Men. And if you're reading these words, then congratulations- - you made the list. You gambled a stamp and it really paid off. I look forward to murdering you soon.

See you at the post office!

"Count D"

Whereabouts and actual identity unknown.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hawkguy

uncanny_luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By uncanny_luna

I voted Iron Fist. But that's not because of the writing. If I had to chose simply based on the story I'd say Hawkeye. The art for Immortal Iron Fist is what really gets my vote. Not to say that the art for Hawkeye is bad, because that's certainly NOT the case. Aja did an amazing job on both but I just liked his art more on Iron Fist. This was a very conflicting versus.

ptigrusmagus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Immortal Iron Fist run was epic

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No Caption Provided

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't read either. I'll go stand in that corner now.

Just based on general impressions though, I'm more inclined to pick up IIF, in fact I've been meaning to for a while now. Danny's one of those characters I want to get into but never really found the time to. Plus, Brubaker's also writing - and his Cap run remains one of my favorites till this day. Hawkeye on the other hand looks...well, like a bit of a non-superhero book that I'd only pick up if I were in a particular mood for that flavor of comics.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

Iron Fist. I am not caught up on Hawkeye but there are certain aspects of it that I don't care for. I loved everything about the Immortal Iron Fist. Fraction's run on that book is the reason I became a fan of the character.

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love them both, but I chose Hawkeye mainly because I feel the writing is a little more refined and is 100% Fraction (remember, Iron Fist also had Brubaker as a collaborator for the early issues).

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Iron Fist is far better, come on guys don't just vote Hawkeye because it didn't have Bru on it or because you haven't read Iron Fist

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Cap10nate

Definitely Immortal Iron Fist for me. It is one of my favorite stories.

I actually dropped Hawkeye before the last issue. I didn't enjoy the Kate in LA story at all. I think the book started out very strong, but then it started to go down hill to me.

Overlander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

100% Hawkguy, bro.

ScrappyDont27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Voted iron fist , very hard choice but like some others have said not really digging the Kate in LA stuff. This makes me want to re read immortal iron fist again

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Love them both but I have to go with Hawkeye. A hard choice but still would recommend either series to anyone.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Iron Fist is far better, come on guys don't just vote Hawkeye because it didn't have Bru on it or because you haven't read Iron Fist

How much difference they have? I haven't voted.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: What do you mean?

What is the percentage of each title.
Ex. Hawkeye 60%, Immortal Iron Fist 40%

Also Hawkeye is a current trend so it is logical that it will win :-(

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Billy Batson

@jonny_anonymous said:

45% for Hawkguy and 43% for Iron Fist.

BB

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

BB

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@billy_batson said:

@squalleon said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

BB

Oh, it's currently 45% Iron Fist 43% Hawkeye but you can see it by logging off

powerplay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is so hard. Both are great runs that really sold me on both of these characters. But I have to give the edge to Immortal Iron Fist for the Immortal Weapons. All of them are so entertaining to read and get pretty well fleshed out. Fat Cobra is just the best!

I like the way Fraction writes Hawkeye (and Hawkguy) but the supporting cast in that book is way weaker than in Immortal.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Happy to see the poll is close, but there's only 113 votes so far? You can do better than that, Viners!

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 k4tzm4n  Moderator
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Experio

The Immortal Iron-fist. But I'm surprised its split down the middle.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I love both but my inner bro voted on Hawkguy Hawkeye.

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Iron Fist became my favorite Marvel hero after Fraction's series.

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#41  Edited By DanialCarroll

Where's the option for "I've read both and don't like either"? That's the option I'd fit into :)

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: What if you think both are literally perfect?

Novemberx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I choose to veto this vote.

this isn't a fair contest, Fraction's run on Hawkeye is on-going right now, so its actually difficult to judge it's overall quality, as there is the potential for it get better or worse. If the ending of a story/run is bad, it can taint one perception of the whole story/run. Thus it is unfair to compare to the ongoing Hawkeye to fractions concluded run on the Immortal Iron Fist.

Perhaps it would of been fairer to compare the Immortal Iron Fist to Fractions "Invincible Iron Man" or the "Fantastic Four" or "Punisher War Journal"

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Immortal Iron Fist was easily Fraction's magnus opus (and this is coming from someone who usually doesn't really like Fraction). You may argue that it was co-written by Brubaker but their run still had no flaws that I would attribute to Fraction (and not many flaws in general). Hawkguy's entertaining and all but it's gotten too inconsistent both in content and release schedule lately for me to rate it higher.

RageEx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How dare you make us choose between the two.. Ultimately have to go with Hawkeye purely because I enjoy the feel of it more (more grounded, slightly more comedic, etc.). They're both really good though

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wow they are tied (so far) didnt expect that at all

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 rogueshadow  Moderator

Neck and neck. I voted TIIF.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Immortal Iron Fist was easily Fraction's magnus opus

Well there's always Casanova...

BB

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: for suggestions Jonathan Hickman's The Ultimates Vs Avengers OR Fantastic Four Vs New Avengers?