Favorite Comic Runs VOTING: Mark Millar's SUPERMAN: RED SON vs. THE ULTIMATES

• 83 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Favorite Comic Runs VOTING: Mark Millar's SUPERMAN: RED SON vs. THE ULTIMATES (293 votes)

Superman: Red Son 47%
The Ultimates 43%
Unfortunately, I haven't read either. Shame on me. 10%

This week, we're putting Mark Millar in this segment's spotlight. The creative mind behind CIVIL WAR obviously has a lot of quality stories to choose from, but after really thinking it through, we believe comparing and contrasting two alternate universe stories from the big two could be a whole lot of fun. In one corner, we have SUPERMAN: RED SON. While it may not have nearly as many issues as its competition, it's one hell of a "what if?" story and has an absolutely brilliant ending. Plus, Batmankoff! In the other corner, we have THE ULTIMATES. Over the course of two volumes, Millar and Bryan Hitch put a brand new spin on quite a few of Marvel's A-listers and the end result is ride that is nothing short of epic. We adore both stories, but if you had to pick one over the other, which would you side with and why?

The poll will stay open until Friday morning (ET). That should give you more than enough time to really think this one through and then cast your vote with some degree of confidence. And if you haven't read either story, this gives you at least four days to finally check them out. Or, you can be incredibly lazy and just vote for the "I haven't read either" option. The choice is yours. After casting your vote, we encourage you to jump into the comments and get your elaboration on. Give the winning story a good amount of support and there's a chance we'll include it in Friday's article. Getting the post of the week isn't up there with winning a medal or anything like that, but it gives you a little bit of bragging rights, yes?

Last but not least, give the Comic Viner Squalleon some love in the comments below. They were not only the first person to correctly guess this week's match-up based on the teaser image, but they were also the very first post in the article. You've got a keen eye there, Squalleon.

Check the homepage on Friday to see which story won and why. In the meantime, feel free to make future match-up suggestions in the comments below or via Gregg's Twitter page.

• 
Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By Captain13

@captain13 said:

@squalleon said:

Thor is the only heroic figure and is labeled as a hippy.

All the Ultimates put their lives on the line for other people, like our men and women in the service. How is that not heroic?

Thor is the only "classic" heroic figure. The one that is inherently good.

How are Tony, Steve, Janet, or Clint not "inherently good?" They all seem unselfish to me.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Okay, apparently putting "vs" instead of "or" confuses some people...

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Red Son

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Going with Red Son. But I thought Ultimates 1&2 were great.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LaserLambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#56  Edited By LaserLambert

Ultimates is junk as far as I'm concerned, standard fare for Millar nowadays, but Red Son was the sweet spot for him.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Ultimates. I can't get into any Superman comic. They never work for me.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#58  Edited By Squalleon

@squalleon said:

@captain13 said:

@squalleon said:

All the Ultimates put their lives on the line for other people, like our men and women in the service. How is that not heroic?

How are Tony, Steve, Janet, or Clint not "inherently good?" They all seem unselfish to me.

You don't get it. Thor is the only classic heroic figure. He is thor, he is a force of good, he is an environmentalist, he fights even when his friends call him crazy. The one without an edgy twist to make him relevant. Clint was on death row, Janet probably a mazohist considering the many beatings she got from Hank over the years, Tony a heavy drinker and the reason for doing this is that he has a brain tumor and wants to leave a good name.
Again, are they good? Yes they are, my point was that the only character without a heavy flaw to make them "realistic" is being ridiculed as a crazy hippy.

Star_Boy616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Star_Boy616

This is so cloooooose. I own both in Hardcover Editions and I must admit that, The Ultimates is more rewarding in every aspect, it has the characters, the personality, GREAT art, awesome fights and was very refreshing at a time when the industry was becoming stale and repetitive.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah: Yeeeaaah, it's a pretty edgy book. A great book, but definately an edgy book. There was mass murder, cannibalism, drug addictions, spousal abuse, attempted rape, incest, and mild racism.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I like them both, but Red Son was better.

Avatar image for spidermonkey2099
spidermonkey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 16

@captain13: Very well put. I agree completely. Ultimates all the way.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maddpanda53 Exactly, as horrible as all that was, it was the real world.

EvilPenguin543

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Son hands down. I'm a sucker for alternate history stories and the art actually reminds me of the 60's.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My only copy of Red Son is a beat up, worn out, piece of crap. I don't own The Ultimates. I've read Red Son way too many times to not vote for it. It's my 2nd favorite Superman story (behind All Star Superman).

Bronze_Surfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#66  Edited By Bronze_Surfer

@jedixman said:

Going with Red Son. I prefer Ultimates 2 over Ultimates 1.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

I only read Ultimates V1 and Red son. I doubt Ultimates V2 was much better but I still won't vote on the off chance that it was.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Captain13

The Ultimates was released in 2002. The characters in the book would have cast some of the biggest actors in the world at the time to play themselves. Here's the who's who:

Brad Pitt as Captain America

Johnny Depp as Iron Man

Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury

Lucy Liu as Wasp

Matthew McConaughey as Giant-Man

Steve Buschemi as Hulk

Wilbertus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Red Son any day of the week.

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By viin

Im a DC fan and i also dont think the Marvel movies are anything to brag about but i choose the Ultimates.

RybackStun93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By RybackStun93

I have to pull for the Ultimates here.

Superman: Red Son was an excellent story with well written characters, a strange additive of Cold War history mixed with Superheroes, and excellent development of the plot and characters throughout the majority of the book. Superman: Red Son, however, is the WORST story in comics to this day.

How can it be both? Well the last page explains that entire point. Millar takes this incredibly crafted story and says "Oh well, you don't deserve a proper ending, here is the worst cliche known to man to end this story"

I hate Red Son with a passion and refuse to recommend it to any one solely because of the ending.

Ultimates takes the story of the Avengers and gives it a much darker and more human turn than what either company was really doing at the time. It's been a while since I've read it, but I enjoyed both 1 and 2 greatly and would read them again given the opportunity.

I hate lazy, BS endings in comic books and Red Son tops the list there. That's why Ultimates wins here even though Red Son (up until the end) was a better Story.

[I also think the third option is pretty insulting to visitors of this site. It would have been just fine with I haven't read either]

Doomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Ultimates. It introduced me to comics.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Red Son is my favourite Superman story.

There, I said it.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ultimates.... That is only for the volume 1 and 2.
Everything else was just regular... These days i hardly care about the ultimate universe....
It no longer puts me on the edge of my seat.

But, Red Son is a really smart take. And love it too much as well. I think ultimates gets a higher score for its art....

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

If Red Son doesn't win I'm quitting Comic Vine.

Autopsad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#76  Edited By Autopsad

Red Son for the win !!!

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

Red Son.... no contest

and really I call Spite

this is like a CVbattle of Superman vs Jimmy Olsen

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

No Caption Provided

\

LOL. Is that Clark,Lois and Jimmy in the background.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain13 said:

No Caption Provided

\

LOL. Is that Clark,Lois and Jimmy in the background.

Yup. The Ultimates had everything, lol.

micahparadise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Ultimates for me was like watching a movie! It revolutionised comics for me at that time and made me fall in love with the avengers again. I liked how he brought so much realism and humanity into these characters. It really felt like the Ultimates were a real live superhuman team in existence today.....not a comic book. (Bryan hitch's art added to it as well :) ) But i think another viner pointed out that his take on the ultimates is what all the marvel comics movies surrounding the avengers movies seem to be pulling from. Millar's Ultimate run in my opinion is better because of the EFFECT its had on the marvel universe and all its media .He changed the face and feel of A LIST avengers. Hawkeye's abilities were defined better an his costume change in ultimates is now a mainstay in the 616 universe. He made Captain America SUPER again and the soldier like uniform has many variations which was used in the captain america movie as well as in the 616 universe.

I think his greatest achievement was the samuel l jackson Nick Fury, who has been so popular, the movies used him and the main 616 universe had to bring in a "Son of Nick Fury" who looks just like the Ultimates version.

I loved his run on Red son but over all, if we look at which one of these stories affected their respective companies the greatest,it would be His run on Ultimates, thus in my opinion, making it the best out of the two books.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Last day to vote.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I was never a fan of Millar's take on the Avengers and his Ultimates.His Ultimates felt like every single other one of his books and runs.

So Red Son for me.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@captain13 said:

@squalleon said:

@captain13 said:

@squalleon said:

You don't get it. Thor is the only classic heroic figure. He is thor, he is a force of good, he is an environmentalist, he fights even when his friends call him crazy. The one without an edgy twist to make him relevant. Clint was on death row, Janet probably a mazohist considering the many beatings she got from Hank over the years, Tony a heavy drinker and the reason for doing this is that he has a brain tumor and wants to leave a good name.

Again, are they good? Yes they are, my point was that the only character without a heavy flaw to make them "realistic" is being ridiculed as a crazy hippy.

I'd have to disagree with your claims about the characters having 'edgy twists'.

For one, calling Jan a 'masochist' is a terrible oversimplification of the situation. I'm no expert on domestic abuse, but calling a character a masochist just because she doesn't leave her abusive husband seems like a grossly inaccurate thing to say. Obviously the book showed it as something more complicated than that. Not to mention that she did technically leave Hank for Steve at the end of Ultimates 1. Also, Tony being a heavy drinker? Not really an edgy twist...616 Tony has been far more embarrassing with his drinking, really (see: Demon in a Bottle & Iron Monger).

Clint being on death row was really a minor aspect from his backstory...in fact, it wasn't mentioned much outside of Hickman's series, and I don't think it was even in Millar's Ultimates. It's not exactly a big part of Hawkeye as a character, to boot.

I agree with the notion that the Ultimates did have flaws, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that made them 'edgy' (which really, is a word so often misused it's become passe).

Also, @risingbean, hope you're voting in this too.