• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by k4tzm4n (36405 posts) 1 month, 28 days ago

Poll: Favorite Comic Runs VOTING: Jeph Loeb's THE LONG HALLOWEEN vs. HUSH (296 votes)

The Long Halloween 37%
Hush 40%
I love both of them 17%
Sorry, I'm not a fan of either story 1%
I'm ashamed to admit I haven't read either one and won't be able to before Friday 6%

Jeph Loeb, welcome to the Favorite Comic Runs' spotlight!

This week, we want you -- yes, you -- to think about two of the writer's biggest Batman stories: THE LONG HALLOWEEN and HUSH. Both are engrossing mysteries yet manage to feel like completely different reading experiences. Will you side with the classic thriller Loeb created with Tim Sale or will the action-heavy story with Jim Lee receive your love? Both need to be read at least once by any fan of the Dark Knight, but we want to know which one the Comic Vine crowd prefers and why.

Do you want to re-read these tales before voting? Well, there's no need to worry because the poll will stay open until this Friday morning (ET). That should be more than enough time for you to jump into these two stories. After giving it a proper amount of thought, please be sure to cast your vote and then share your full thoughts with us. Why did you pick one over the other? How big of a role did the art play? Make your post fantastic enough and there's a chance we'll feature it in the updated article.

Check the homepage this Friday to see which run takes the prize and why. In the meantime, feel free to make future match-up suggestions in the comments below or tell us via Twitter.

#1 Posted by Billy Batson (57753 posts) - - Show Bio

The Long Halloween is the better comic due to Sale but neither is good.
BB

#2 Edited by Jayc1324 (9337 posts) - - Show Bio

I love both but Hush was just better, and the art was stunning. I know a lot of people hate Jeph Loeb but these two are great Batman stories.

#3 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32693 posts) - - Show Bio

Long Halloween, I don't like Jim Lee's art

#4 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17275 posts) - - Show Bio

The Long Halloween is the better comic due to Sale but neither is good.
BB

How Come( don't send me the list of reasons why LH sucks, i've read that)?

I'm asking about Hush In particular

#5 Edited by theodixon9 (539 posts) - - Show Bio

I've voted for Hush. I wasn't a fan of the Long Halloween's art and I didn't find it particularly interesting. However, I'm not a huge fan of either and I think they are both a little overrated.

#6 Posted by Billy Batson (57753 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Edited by AmazingWebHead (1610 posts) - - Show Bio

Long Halloween. Creepy Calendar Man for the win!

#8 Posted by dagmar_merrill (6628 posts) - - Show Bio

Hush. Didn't really like either though.

#9 Posted by Wolverine08 (38583 posts) - - Show Bio

Neither are particularly revolutionary nor innovative for the Batman mythos, but I'll go with Hush I suppose. More fun to read.

#10 Posted by Cap10nate (2156 posts) - - Show Bio

Hush was a more enjoyable read to me.

#11 Posted by Strafe Prower (11887 posts) - - Show Bio

While both of them had faults, I do enjoy both comics to some degree.

#12 Edited by YoungJustice (6669 posts) - - Show Bio

Long Halloween, only because Hush is the worst villain ever f*cking created.

#13 Edited by Mucklefluga (2513 posts) - - Show Bio

The Long Halloween is one of my favourite Batman stories, probably third behind Year One and Batman Inc., I do love a good mystery.

#14 Edited by HushoftheWind (803 posts) - - Show Bio

im completely unbiased and i've gotten over my anger at my name being stolen many years ago, Kappa face, but going with the artistic beauty that is Hush.

#15 Posted by mightypug78 (338 posts) - - Show Bio

never read either of them

#16 Posted by KouNurasaka (21 posts) - - Show Bio

Hush. The art was fantastic and I really liked the focus on detective work vs. Batman punching things (that Superman punchout!). Also, the ending? Best comic ending ever in my opinion.

#17 Edited by McBig (69 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow this is by far the hardest one. Both are so amazing but Long Halloween was the first Batman story I ever read and love it so much because of the Harvey Dent stuff.

#18 Posted by herrweis (428 posts) - - Show Bio

Without a doubt the long Halloween

#19 Posted by ford_dent (1 posts) - - Show Bio

How in the world is Hush in the lead? Hush is terrible.

#20 Posted by mak13131313 (503 posts) - - Show Bio

Tough decision. Both are great stories but, I choose Hush for the art.

#21 Posted by Krypton-115 (326 posts) - - Show Bio

Hush takes it, this is one, if not the best Batman story ever.

#22 Edited by GraniteSoldier (6963 posts) - - Show Bio

Hush is better for me. I like the Hush villain, and I like that it wove a tale taking Batman for a mystery from Gotham to Metropolis and back again. It is not without it's flaws, and it is by no means a "revolutionary" piece for the Batman story, but it is more fun to read and feels like a true Batman-style detective story. The dynamic between Bruce and Selina was great, and Hush has better art in my opinion. It's not my favorite Bat-story, but of these two it is my more favorite.

#23 Posted by KraytRawk (628 posts) - - Show Bio

Hush has better story, Long Halloween has better art. I choose Hush because i value story over art.

#24 Posted by KraytRawk (628 posts) - - Show Bio

Hush has better story, Long Halloween has better art. I choose Hush because i value story over art.

#25 Posted by viin (544 posts) - - Show Bio

I choose both...of course Hush is good because you got Jim Lee's art as well as just about all of the Batman villains but then again the Long Halloween is a great piece of Batman's mythos. The trio of Batman, Gordon, and Dent working together and the creation of Two-Face is in my opinion a must have element to Batman though on the other hand there are many parts of the Long Halloween I feel don't need to be there.

#26 Posted by herrweis (428 posts) - - Show Bio

Without a doubt the long Halloween. Hush was all about Jim lee's art. Tlh was a good mystery and Tim sales art complimented the story rather than overshadow it.

#27 Posted by Darling_Luna (3363 posts) - - Show Bio

Long Halloween for always

Hush was a big let down, when I read it, People said this and that, but it wasn't either

#28 Posted by Overlander (430 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved Hush. The story was phenomenally paced, full of interesting turns, great character moments, and spectacular Jim Lee art. It was the whole modern comics package.

#29 Posted by herrweis (428 posts) - - Show Bio

Without a doubt the long Halloween. Hush was all about Jim lee's art. Tlh was a good mystery and Tim sales art complimented the story rather than overshadow it.

#30 Posted by Eivion (82 posts) - - Show Bio

I couldn't choose and just went with loving both. In truth I actually think Hush is better written overall, but there is too much in Long Halloween I love like the Gordon/Batman/Dent relationship and Calendar Man's assistance for me to really hold Hush above above it.

#31 Posted by TimeLordScience (763 posts) - - Show Bio

Both are completely overhyped, but Long Halloween is definitely better than Hush. I have no idea where the love for that story comes from.

#32 Posted by Brione (79 posts) - - Show Bio

I love them both but The Long Halloween is my favorite story.

#33 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (5881 posts) - - Show Bio

Hush.

#34 Posted by anthonygiu (65 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted both. They're absolutely phenomenal. I like Jeph Loeb because he uses all the rogues and doesn't make them random. Tim Sale killed it for the Long Halloween and Jim Lee killed it for Hush....so tough to choose between the two so I voted both

#35 Posted by Ducey13 (29 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted Both. They're both great. Why Choose? I laugh because every other comment says "Lee's art is is terrible" or "Tim Sale suckes". I love both artist.

#36 Posted by staypuffed (136 posts) - - Show Bio

Hush is my all-time favourite comic book story.

#37 Posted by Pokeysteve (8038 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely Hush. Probably my favorite Batman story.

#38 Posted by t_hench (273 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Hush. It is possibly my favorite arc. I also recommend Under the Red Hood and Red Hood:The Lost Days (by Winnick) for those who enjoyed Hush as well. They tie in so well!!

Long Halloween is great too.

#39 Posted by MannEffest (1241 posts) - - Show Bio

Both are fantastic, however, Hush has nostalgia on it's side. It being the first Batman trade I picked up.

Hush FTW!

#40 Posted by Jokerpoker (2943 posts) - - Show Bio

I like both, but The Long Halloween a little more.

#41 Posted by bloggerboy (536 posts) - - Show Bio

The Long Halloween's the better story and book overall but I had to vote both. To me TLH, Dark Victory and Hush form the perfect Batman trilogy of books.

#42 Posted by mysoulz (266 posts) - - Show Bio

I quite enjoyed TLH a bit more than Hush. I'll go with TLH.

Both stories are good.

#43 Posted by Jphu8414 (3199 posts) - - Show Bio

Hush is probably one of my all time favorite Batman stories, I prefer it over TLH even though I think they are both great

#44 Posted by iaconpoint (1270 posts) - - Show Bio

I used to think Jim Lee was the most deserving artist of being so overhyped. Now I just think he's overhyped. Plus, the sort ears get on my nerves. Tim Sale on the other hand is still awesome, plus I love the retro noir feel of the art and story of Long Halloween, so it gets my vote.

#45 Posted by LyraFay (2470 posts) - - Show Bio

I like both of them, Long Halloween is fantastic and true Batman the world's greatest detective story with glorious twists and turns. Hush on the other hand was a great first time read (it was the first one I ever read.) But it also shows the familiar Batman that appears in media (good or bad depending on your point of view.) But both have the great interactions between characters and art.

#46 Posted by Mapuia_Ralte (80 posts) - - Show Bio

Hush was amazing in its art and pace and i actually read it before TLH. I've re-read both a while back and I definitely love TLH more. Better mystery, great ending with a much more fitting art.

#47 Posted by Chaos Prime (10842 posts) - - Show Bio

Long Halloween, only because Hush is the worst villain ever f*cking created.

No Way Jose :)

#48 Posted by TDK_1997 (14456 posts) - - Show Bio

Both stories have a special place in my heart but I prefer Hush. The story is in my top 5 and when I read it for the first time I was amazed and I loved it and everytime I read the story I am left with the same feelings.

#49 Posted by RustyRoy (10900 posts) - - Show Bio

I love both of them.

#50 Posted by Experio (14130 posts) - - Show Bio

Hush