Favorite Comic Runs VOTING: Geoff Johns' FLASHPOINT vs. SINESTRO CORPS WAR

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Favorite Comic Runs VOTING: Geoff Johns' FLASHPOINT vs. SINESTRO CORPS WAR (220 votes)

Flashpoint 27%
Sinestro Corps War 65%
Unfortunately, I haven't read either. Shame on me. 8%

Geoff Johns of sector 2814, you have the ability to create great stories. Welcome to the Favorite Comic Runs segment.

SINESTRO CORPS WAR spread a vicious and bloody war across the cosmos. FLASHPOINT literally changed the entire DC universe and was even the inspiration for a DC animated movie. Both are absolutely massive in scope and packed with A-listers, but which Geoff Johns' event do you enjoy more? Will his work with artist Andy Kubert race to victory in the poll or will Thaal Sinestro refuse to suffer defeat? Prepare to choose, Viners.

Still haven't read either of these epics or do you want to reread them before voting? Well, that won't be a problem! The poll is open until Friday morning (ET). That's more than enough time to think this through and pick a side, right? Also, this gives you plenty of time to convince others why one story deserves to take the victory. And if you think the poll isn't going the way it should, you have a few days to spread the word and bring in more voters. Needless to say, there's an adequate amount of time for the poll to fluctuate. Finally, if your post is legitimately full of win, there's a chance we'll highlight it in Friday's article as the "Viner Post of the Week." One will be selected for each story, so have fun getting your elaboration on!

Last but not least, everyone say "you rock, Squalleon!" Why, you ask? Well, Squalleon was the first person to correctly guess this week's match-up (based on the teaser in Friday's article). Way to be awesome, Squalleon.

Check the homepage on Friday to see which story won and why. In the meantime, feel free to make future match-up suggestions in the comments below or via Twitter.

• 
HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HushoftheWind

Lets see here, Flashpoint was a lackluster setup to what is now known as the lackluster New 52 while Sinestro Corp War was a blockbuster story that setup a new status quo for Sinestro and the Green Lantern universe. This one is hard to vote for...kappa.

impossibilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I voted for The Sinestro Corps War. Before The Sinestro Corps War, Green Lantern was a good to very good comic. The Sinestro Corps War made Green Lantern a must-read, top of the pile comic. I can still remember how much my mind was blown by The Sinestro Corps War Special #1. The rest of the The Sinestro Corps War story line lived up to the set-up of that amazing first issue. I honestly feel that Green Lantern has overtaken The Flash as the crown jewel in Geoff Johns's crown, and that The Sinestro Corps War is brightest facet in that jewel.

I found the story of Flashpoint to be enjoyable, but forgettable. I didn't even think the main Flashpoint series was the best Flashpoint series. That honor would go Flashpoint: Batman.

Both The Sinestro Corps War and Flashpoint set up big things in the DC Universe. However, The Sinestro Corps War did so by laying the foundation on which things could be built, while Flashpoint tore the building and the rest of the block down to start anew. That's another reason I give the nod to The Sinestro Corps War.

PS...You rock, @squalleon.

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

Sinestro Corps War for me, easy. I think that Johns' run on Green Lantern is one of the best superhero comics runs in the last decade. The Sinestro Corps War is when the run really found its stride and it became clear just how big Johns' ideas for the book were. It made Sinestro a charismatic and multifaceted anti-hero. It made me like the DC cosmic universe, and I traditionally don't really like cosmic books. Plus, this is one of the books that really got me back into reading comics, so it's super important to me personally.

I liked Flashpoint, but the main story is ultimately less interesting to me than the spin-offs surrounding it were. The main story itself was more of a mechanism to reboot the DCU than a story in an of itself. There were some great character moments in it, like the letter Barry gave to Bruce at the end, but the story itself hasn't stuck with me the way the Sinestro Corps war has.

LCazT1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Sinestro Corps War without a shadow of a doubt.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Haven't read Flashpoint, so SCW.

bob808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Flashpoint

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@rulerofthisuniverse said:

Haven't read Flashpoint, so SCW.

You know, you can just not vote, right? >:(

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

I seem to have a more positive opinion of Flashpoint than most people but it still pales in comparison to SCW. The pre-New 52 Johns GL was masterful and Sinestro Corps War was the pinnacle for me.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@k4tzm4n: But I really, really, really liked SCW... :(

Too late now, anyway. If it matters enough, I'll have an alt vote Flashpoint.

themanwoaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By themanwoaname

@hushofthewind said:

Lets see here, Flashpoint story was lackluster setup to what is now known as the lackluster New 52 while Sinestro Corp War was a blockbuster story that setup a new status quo for Sinestro and the Green Lantern universe. This one is hard to vote for...kappa.

Fact. How many New52 books are out there now after so many have been cancelled?

If you answer "Who cares?!" you answered correctly.

Flashpoint WAS fun as a temporary thing; but for it to end and begin something that basically FORGOT the grounds that Flashpoint set; it's a travesty. The fact that Booster Gold was built up to a real hero that protects the multiverse the way he was; to drop all of that and not give him an outlet to repair the new52 ever is a down right shameful crime. Hell, to keep the multiverse/time travelling heroes from remembering that there were other realities is a crime in itself.

Way to take a dump on your fans and your history with THAT one.

EDIT:

I voted for SCW. The Sinestro Corps was scary enough to actually have given me nightmares during a heinous fever I was dealing with while reading that series.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Have yet to read either of these. I plan on reading SCW eventually. Not sure if Flashpoint will ever make it to my pile.

TommyJones1945

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SCW in my f***** sleep man!!

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh. Geoff Johns......

Flashpoint was better.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

I bet the only people that voted for Flashpoint have only read the Batman mini. Because everything about that event was offensive trash.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

Sinestro Corp War becuse it was one of Geoff Johns best story's that I have read .

reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SCW

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#17  Edited By RazzaTazz

As someone that was not a dedicated fan of either character before reading those story arcs, I can say that both were excellently written (at least the main story arcs, not the spin offs.) This question does have the potential to run along Flash vs. GL lines, but I think in terms of classic story telling that the story was far better in Sinestro Corps Wars than in Flashpoint. The main thing here was the scale, Sinestro Corps War was designed to expand the Green Lantern stories, and it did this as it led into the other big story arcs. Flashpoint was written partially with the concept of rebooting the DC universe, so the story was a lot more like a collection of "What if?" kind of questions, and so when Mera died (or whoever) we knew that it was not meant to be. I think that this gave more gravity to Sinestro Corps War.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By TDK_1997

This ain't even a contest.I am a fan of both character and I actually liked a lot both storylines but I think that Sinestro Corps War was something that had a bigger impact on me and a certain mythos.The story felt bigger and it was developed in a better way and had fewer flaws.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Lets see, SCW is widely regarded amongst Johns best work, unlike Flashpoint which was a monstrous out of character slaughter-fest that only really served as an excuse to press the tired old reboot button of DC.

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I figured sinestro corps would be on top but both are really good stories. Flashpoint had many characters from the DCU so it took my vote.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I haven't vote yet, I want to re-read SCW before I do. But currently I remember Flashpoint more fondly.

PS...You rock, @squalleon.

LoL. Thanks :-)

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Corps War that was just too good loved it.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik:

I'll respect you a lot if you give some examples of "offensive trash"?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#24  Edited By Lvenger

Sinestro Corps War without a shadow of a doubt. Johns delivered better writing, better story structure, better action, bigger twists and more epic moments in this glorious event than Flashpoint managed to set up in one issue of its tenure. So when comparing one of Johns' best stories to one of his worst, it's fairly obvious which one will win.

LCazT1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Sinestro Corps War without a shadow of a doubt. Johns delivered better writing, better story structure, better action, bigger twists and more epic moments in this glorious event than Flashpoint managed to set up in one issue of its tenure. So when comparing one of Johns' best stories to one of his worst, it's fairly obvious which one will win.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By Jphu8414

SCW was legendary, probably my favorite GL story of all time by far, actually I think it's one of my favorite stories period. I think one review site called it "The Empire Strikes Back" of the Green Lanterns and I fully agree with statement. Although I did like Flashpoint, I enjoyed some of the tie ins more such as Batman: Knight of Vengeance and Project Superman, but it doesn't hold a candle in comparison to SCW.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sinestro Corps War! Although I enjoyed Flashpoint as well. But SCW was just flat out phenomenal!

Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SCW was awesome and made me pick up more DC books.

Flashpoint was lackluster and led to New 52 which made me drop some DC books.

Advantage: Sinestro Corps War!

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I am gonna vote SCW.
The reason I didn't immediately was that I felt the event dragged(that could be because I read it in a trade and I had to read the tie-ins too :-P) and the issues that weren't written by Johns weren't as interesting in comparison, the Johns part of the event was spectacular though. SCW was massive in scale and reprecussions, with a combination of modern and classic storytelling. I think that SCW was the story that made people aware about GJ's Green Lantern and for a good reason. It build up the chemistry between Hal and Sinestro which would end up being one of the best elements of Geoff's Green Lantern until it's end, it gave as awesome moments like the "city without fear" and the fight between Hal, Kyle and Sinestro.
That being said, I don't hate Flashpoint. I think it was a nice story, with a nice re-imagination of characters (Batman,SHAZAM and Aquaman were awesome ) but editorial interference took something away from it since it wasn't supposed to be a company wide event and just another part of Geoff's Flash. I think people hate it because it ended the pre-52 DCU.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah said:

@erik:

Wonder Woman.

GodTriggerHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Flashpoint better. The world it created was pretty cool and it led to the reboot.

modunhanul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sinestro Corps War.

jorelliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sinestro Corps War is still the greatest comic event I've ever read. Flashpoint was almost entertaining at best.

@erik said:

@micah said:

@erik:

Wonder Woman.

And Superman. But mostly Wonder Woman.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Sinestro Corps War way more. Although i did get a similar rarity of great story telling feeling from Flashpoint (not unlike the feeling i got when i read Identity Crisis)

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

I liked Flashpoint better. The world it created was pretty cool and it led to the reboot.

New 52 is what got me into comics so Flashpoint gets my vote.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By sinestro_GL

As a big Geoff Johns fan, myself, this contest only has one winner. Though Flashpoint was a mega-significant event that brought about the new 52, Sinestro Corps War wins this one as it is not only considered the pick of Johns' Green Lantern run, but ranks very, very highly in his larger body of work.

In all fairness, but stories contain examples of some of Johns' best writing, and I'm happy to have been able to experience both these arcs. Some particular highlights of Flashpoint include the nightmarish alternate reality, but what stuck with me most was how Johns wrote Barry - evoking many tear-filled moments - especially with the 'twist' ending, and the reason why Flashpoint happened in the first place. Additionally, who can forget Thomas Wayne, and what a great character he turned out to be? Those final scenes with a teary-eyed Bruce certainly will live long in the memories of comic fans.

However, as great as Flashpoint was, it didn't come without its controversy. The Sinestro Corps War, in comparison, was really an explosive arc - and that's a major understatement. Already from the first issue, we were left gasping for air following the formation of a Sinestro Corps, the return of the Anti-Monitor and the capture of Kyle. The chilling role played by Superboy-Prime was especially haunting, and how about the fate of Hank Henshaw? Overall, Sinestro Corps War just had so much going and was really fantastic right down to that incredible last issue.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By micah007123

@jorelliot:

WW definitely, but I liked the change of status quo when it came to Superman

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By thespideyguy

I can't believe these are the Geoff Johns stories you choose.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Erik

@godtriggerhulk said:

New 52 is not Flashpoint.

GodTriggerHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik:

It directly led into it though. You could also give Sinestro Corps. War points for leading into War of the Light.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SaintWildcard

@erik said:

@saint_wildcard said:

New 52 is not Flashpoint.

But it's what led to it. But if you want a valid reason I also like it a bit more since I like alternate timeline stories.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Erik
SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik: If I wanted to vote for who I find more handsome I can do so. You're not the boss of me. That aside I gave a valid reason.

I also like it a bit more since I like alternate timeline stories.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SCW of course no doubt about it. You need to read it and see how Prime kicks ass DC best villain i swear, the man took on everyone in this storyline and won.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard: Your slightly hidden reason is actually a valid reason. Choosing the story for what came after is not. And yeah, you can vote for whichever one you want based on whatever crazy reasons you want but you are skewing the results from what the OP was actually looking for. Not voting is better than screwing with the numbers.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

Flashpoint. It was a fun event in a wicked alternate universe, with cool new characters and interesting twists on old ones. I also really enjoyed the emotional mother-son, father-son moments between Barry and his mom and Bruce and his dad. Andy Kubert's art was monstrously good as well.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Flashpoint.

Even if it was just a miniseries about Tomas Wayne, it could still deserve my vote.

GodTriggerHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik:

I'm not. The reboot happened in the pages of Flashpoint so it's a valid reason to like the story.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik:

I'm not. The reboot happened in the pages of Flashpoint so it's a valid reason to like the story.

No it's not. That's like being asked what food you like the taste of more and you replying that you chose cabbage because of what it does for your bowels. No one was asking about your bowels. No one is asking what post-event-consequences you liked more.