• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by k4tzm4n (38835 posts) 6 months, 17 days ago

Poll: Favorite Comic Runs VOTING: Gail Simone's BATGIRL or SECRET SIX? (171 votes)

BATGIRL 22%
SECRET SIX 55%
I love them equally 5%
Sorry, not a fan of either 5%
Unfortunately, I haven't read either 13%

Welcome to a brand new weekly segment, Viners! Every week, we're going to select one talented writer and give some much deserved love to two of their famous pieces of work, be it an entire run or just an iconic storyline. For the segment's debut, we're going to highlight two books Gail Simone is known for: SECRET SIX and her current run on BATGIRL. Do you prefer one over the other? Do you love them equally? Are you not a fan or haven't read either? Vote and discuss it!

Voting is open until Friday morning (ET). That should give you plenty of time to think about it or even reread some of the comics, right? Make an awesome enough post and it has the potential to be highlighted in Friday's update! Speaking of Friday's article, here's what it'll include.

• The poll's results.
  • A "Viner Post of the Week" made for each series.
  • Thoughts from the staff.
  • Other work we recommend by the writer.
  • A tease for next week's writer.

See you Friday, Viners!

Feel free to make future title suggestions in the comments below or via Gregg's Twitter page.

#1 Posted by danhimself (22443 posts) - - Show Bio

Secret Six by a mile! IMO Batgirl has been nothing but meh from issue 1...it's not horrible but it's certainly nothing great

#2 Posted by Strongarm (5857 posts) - - Show Bio

Merkel

Floyd

Scandal

Bane

Banshee

TED

awesome group

#3 Posted by dondave (35958 posts) - - Show Bio

Secret Six by a mile! IMO Batgirl has been nothing but meh from issue 1...it's not horrible but it's certainly nothing great

#4 Posted by patrat18 (9445 posts) - - Show Bio

SIX.

#5 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

I loooooooooooooooooove Secret Six.

#6 Posted by TommytheHitman (3052 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by Squalleon (4494 posts) - - Show Bio

Is there any doubt?
Secret Six was great!

#8 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11309 posts) - - Show Bio

Secret Six. No question at all. That book was awesome and I still miss it. Batgirl has been nothing more than decent.

#9 Edited by Erik (32047 posts) - - Show Bio

Barbara is walking again, so yeah.

#10 Posted by NukeA6 (463 posts) - - Show Bio

Batgirl competing with Secret Six? That's like comparing Ultimatum to Infinity Gauntlet.

Secret Six is easily the best team villain book I read while Batgirl is one of the worst female titles I've read before dropping.

#11 Posted by Falconer (152 posts) - - Show Bio

Is her new Tomb Raider comic any good? I'm playing through the Definitive Ed right now and am loving it. I know Simone has done good stuff in the past, but I thought Batgirl was god awful. I'm afraid Tomb Raider is just same thing, different place.

#12 Posted by SupBatz (1727 posts) - - Show Bio

My goodness, this was one of the easiest decisions I've ever had to make in one of these polls. There's nothing critcally wrong with Simone's Batgirl, but I just am not a fan of the characterization of Babs. After being such a mature, awesome, and key character in the DC universe, seeing Barbara reduced to a cliche was a kick behind the knee.

Secret Six was just great. Simone really showed her stuff there.

#13 Posted by Aeroman (497 posts) - - Show Bio

man this is a tough one for me

#14 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

Would be a tougher call for me if it was S6 vs. BoP.

#15 Posted by k4tzm4n (38835 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

We considered that! Thought it might be more topical to include the current work she's known for, though.

Staff Online
#16 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

@fodigg said:

We considered that! Thought it might be more topical to include the current work she's known for, though.

That's fair. Although then I'd probably have suggested BoP vs. current Batgirl run because I'd feel like that would be more apples-to-apples as far as tone/character, although then you'd probably just see the whole thread devolve into Oracle vs. Batgirl.

#17 Posted by Jphu8414 (3535 posts) - - Show Bio

Aw come on not fair, Batgirl is great but Secret Six is legendary

#18 Posted by derf_jenkins (391 posts) - - Show Bio

I have never read Secret Six. I love the character Batgirl, but didn't stick with Gail's run for too long. I like the new segment! Look forward to seeing others that I like.

#19 Posted by OriginalGL_Alan (236 posts) - - Show Bio

As decent as Gail Simone's run on Batgirl was, no other work of hers can compare to her run of the Secret Six. The stories she developed had great depth for a team of originally mismatched villains. The revamp of Catman, a previous C-list gimmick villain was just impressive, turning him into a legitimate villain (as far as street level villains go).

#20 Posted by Deadpool_9 (51 posts) - - Show Bio

Secret six was amazing! With Suicide Squad leaving us soon, I can only hope Secret Six is on the way in May

#21 Posted by Billy Batson (57907 posts) - - Show Bio

Nobody even likes her Batgirl...*eye roll*

Secret Six was decent, though I liked Ostrander's issues more than Simone's.

BB

#22 Posted by batmannflash (6210 posts) - - Show Bio

Secret Six

#23 Posted by Outside_85 (8542 posts) - - Show Bio

It would have been a tougher call had it been SS vs BoP, both were good books, while Batgirl has been mostly 'meh' and 'look she walks again!'

#24 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21340 posts) - - Show Bio

I never read Secret 6, so.... Batgirl ftw

#25 Posted by saoakden (1034 posts) - - Show Bio

I only read Batgirl. Haven't read Secret Six yet.

#26 Posted by Vulshock (133 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved Secret Six! Batgirl is okay in my opinion.
Speaking of Gail Simone is her Birds of Prey run good?

#27 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6570 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn, I haven't read secret SIX, but I like Batgirl. I would read Sec6 sometime in the future.

#28 Posted by yo_yo_fun (643 posts) - - Show Bio

My vote goes to Batgirl; I'm really enjoying the series.

Unfortunately, I've never read Secret Six. I really want to though but the trades are out of print so I'll have to find the single issues:/

#29 Posted by lesterlawton (728 posts) - - Show Bio

Secret Six by a mile. It's the best team villain book since Ostrander's Suicide Squad.

#30 Posted by danhimself (22443 posts) - - Show Bio

@falconer said:

Is her new Tomb Raider comic any good? I'm playing through the Definitive Ed right now and am loving it. I know Simone has done good stuff in the past, but I thought Batgirl was god awful. I'm afraid Tomb Raider is just same thing, different place.

it hasn't started yet...the first issue comes out sometime this month but I'm not sure on the exact date

#31 Edited by Falconer (152 posts) - - Show Bio
#32 Posted by eldestrisk (634 posts) - - Show Bio

Haven't read her stuff, but I'm loving the new segment.

#33 Posted by k4tzm4n (38835 posts) - - Show Bio

Keep in mind, elaborating on your vote means you have the chance to land a spot in Friday's feature.

And if you like the new segment, please feel free to spread the word.

Staff Online
#34 Posted by Perfect 10 (1007 posts) - - Show Bio

for once i agree with the poll lol

#35 Posted by Zane_Horn (342 posts) - - Show Bio
#36 Edited by dagmar_merrill (7826 posts) - - Show Bio

Haven't read either but I am not tempted to check out Secret Six.

Edit: Not sure where "not" came from but I am really tempted.

#37 Edited by longbowhunter (7006 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never read her Batgirl. Villains United and Secret Six were great though. One of DC's all time great team books.

#38 Edited by jaybake724 (25 posts) - - Show Bio

I am gonna have to reread secret six

#39 Posted by sentryman555 (758 posts) - - Show Bio

This isn't a contest at all. Secret Six was one of my favorite team books ever. I'd like to think with how great secret six was when I went into Simone's batgirl my hopes were just too high but her batgirl was boring to me.

#40 Edited by Sovereign91001 (4179 posts) - - Show Bio

IMO Batgirl is decent, Secret Six was very solid.

#41 Posted by asjmooney (144 posts) - - Show Bio
#42 Posted by TDK_1997 (14648 posts) - - Show Bio

Her Secret Six was definitely entertaining and good but as every single book from her there are always just too many flaws.

And for Batgirl,I don't know how this is even a match up since there are like 10 people that like her run.

#43 Posted by mak13131313 (539 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't read Secret Six. I have read Batgirl and it's not bad. But from what everyone is saying I will have to check out Secret Six.

#44 Posted by Life_Without_Progress (1762 posts) - - Show Bio

Secret Six all the way, any day

#45 Posted by LCazT1996 (522 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't read either one, sadly, but I certainly plan to soon!

#46 Posted by micah (1265 posts) - - Show Bio

Deadshot + Bane + Gail Simone = Win

#47 Posted by SynCig (410 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't read all of Secret Six yet but I love it so far. It is so hard to find affordable copies of the trades. Batgirl is decent but not great so Secret Six gets my vote.

#48 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2218 posts) - - Show Bio

Secret Six

#49 Edited by The Wondrous (137 posts) - - Show Bio

Secret Six is a true masterpiece. In my top fivr, throigh 30+ years of reading comics.

#50 Posted by Deadpool_9 (51 posts) - - Show Bio

@asjmooney: Yeah, with issue 30 in April.
http://www.comicvine.com/articles/dc-comics-april-2014-solicitations/1100-147955/

I really hope they replace it with Secret Six or something similar.