Favorite Comic Runs VOTING: Frank Miller's Batman: Year One vs. The Dark Knight Returns

• 87 results
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Favorite Comic Runs VOTING: Frank Miller's Batman: Year One vs. The Dark Knight Returns (263 votes)

Batman: Year One 59%
The Dark Knight Returns 37%
Unfortunately, I haven't read either. Shame on me. 4%

Welcome to the Favorite Comic Runs' spotlight, Frank Miller!

This week, we're taking a look at the writer/artist's two iconic Batman stories. One is a detailed reimagining of Bruce Wayne's return to Gotham as he puts on the cowl for the first time and Jim Gordon sees just how dirty the GCPD truly is. The other reveals a darker future where Superman is controlled by the U.S. Government and Batman aims to restore order to his city. Both are without question a must read for any fan of the Caped Crusader, but which legendary tale do you prefer and why? Will you side with the 1986 limited series that Frank Miller wrote and illustrated? Or will you give you support the Miller's 1987 limited series that was illustrated by David Mazzucchelli?

In the unfortunate event you haven't read either of these epics, voting will remain open until Friday morning (ET). That gives you plenty of time to get your hands on these two stories and jump right in. But in the event you're too lazy or too busy to give either of these a proper read, there is an option for "haven't read either." That said, we will most certainly judge you if you vote for that and we strongly recommend you rectify that mistake as soon as possible. This weeklong voting period also offers more than enough time for you to make a case for one of these stories and potentially sway more voters to your side. Last but not least, if your post is extra impressive, there's a chance we'll highlight it in Friday's updated article. We'll select one post made for each story, so be sure to elaborate after you cast your vote.

Check the homepage on Friday to see which story won and why. In the meantime, feel free to make future match-up suggestions in the comments below or via Twitter.

• 
Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

This is a tough choice as both are some of the best, most ambitious, and most influential Batman stories ever created. I'm going to give the slight edge to Year One just because I see it as more of the definitive Batman and the definitive Batman origin story. I find myself enjoying Year One's story and artwork more as well.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Saren

The Dark Knight Returns is better in the sense that there's never really been another story like it. There have been many revisits of Batman's origin, and whether they match up to Year One or not is up for debate, but no one has ever really looked at the other end of Batman's career and what his universe could be like in the distant future with as much insight as Miller in TDKR.

Fairly sure this will come up a lot in this thread, but "Batman beating Superman is stupid" is an idiotic reason to dismiss the story in its entirety. All the commentary on society, politics and culture in the future of the DC Universe as it relates to contemporary issues cannot possibly just be swept aside because Batman beats up Superman.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@saren said:

Fairly sure this will come up a lot in this thread, but "Batman beating Superman is stupid" is an idiotic reason to dismiss the story in its entirety.

It's inevitable, but hopefully most people realize there's much more to the story than just the outcome of their fight.

bob808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

The Dark Knight Returns

Jokerpoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Year One ftw.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Wolverine008

Year One. It was just mesmerizing to watch Bruce evolve from a regular vigilante to "the Bat".

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DarthAznable

I like ones story more yet the art work more of the other...hmmm

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren said:

The Dark Knight Returns is better in the sense that there's never really been another story like it. There have been many revisits of Batman's origin, and whether they match up to Year One or not is up for debate, but no one has ever really looked at the other end of Batman's career and what his universe could be like in the distant future with as much insight as Miller in TDKR.

Fairly sure this will come up a lot in this thread, but "Batman beating Superman is stupid" is an idiotic reason to dismiss the story in its entirety. All the commentary on society, politics and culture in the future of the DC Universe as it relates to contemporary issues cannot possibly just be swept aside because Batman beats up Superman.

"But it had bad art!" (which was actually good).

BB

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

@saren: What about Batman Beyond?

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Year One for me. But it is a very close call.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 the_stegman  Moderator

I think TDKR will win, but honestly, I didn't like it that much, I found the art horrible and the whole thing they did with Superman ridiculous. (The animated movie was actually leaps and bounds better imo). I vote for Year One.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Saren

@saren: What about Batman Beyond?

Not really comparable. Beyond is based on the DCAU, so some of the complexity of the mainstream universe is lost. And Beyond quite frankly had a rosier portrayal of future Gotham than anything that would be realistic given the trajectory Gotham has always been on. It's unapologetically a hellhole.

Dud317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Dud317

There's only a handful of books that can top Year One. It just so happens that The Dark Knight Returns is one of them.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By dernman

@saren said:

Fairly sure this will come up a lot in this thread, but "Batman beating Superman is stupid" is an idiotic reason to dismiss the story in its entirety.

Maybe so but it's a pretty good start. :p

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TDKR

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Voted for DKR, but both are really good books and Batman fans should definitely check them both out if they haven't already.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I went with The Dark Knight Returns because Batman: Year One is more of a James Gordon story.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Year One.

It just felt more like Batman to me. It's hard to explain really.

Nahuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Nahuel

@k4tzm4n: katz... Can you add the option "I love both stories"?

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By entropy_aegis

TDKR for me.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@nahuel said:

This segment initially had it, but I'd much rather make people compare/contrast and ultimately grant a slight edge to one.

Asbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I´m going with The Dark Knight Returns. The definitive Batman story, in my opinion. I agree with Captain13, Year One is too gordon-centric ( Even if its is great, of course)

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both stories are great but I'm going to give TDKR a slight edge.

Avatar image for depressed_insomniac
Depressed_Insomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you voted for The Dark Knight Returns, I don't want to be your friend.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

@nahuel said:

This segment initially had it, but I'd much rather make people compare/contrast and ultimately grant a slight edge to one.

Then why have the last option?
BB

CrashBang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even though I despise Miller as a person, I can't deny the excellence of these stories. My vote goes to Year One because I hate Miller's art in TDKR.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

Year One. TDKR was overrated.

The_Vein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By The_Vein

Batman: Year One I felt was a more interesting and dramatic story. I love DKR, but it had a little too much of Miller's weird political beliefs leaking into it for me to consider it to be as good as Year One. Also, while Batman "beating up" Superman (if you call him pounding on Superman while Clark basically says, "Hey, hey, stop it," and then apparently dying of a heart attack "beating up") doesn't bother me, the general depiction of Superman in DKR is not one I'm very fond of. I realize it's a Batman comic, but that part always bothered me.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@billy_batson said:

@k4tzm4n said:

@nahuel said:

Then why have the last option?
BB

Because if someone loves both, they have the ability to make an educated decision on which one should eventually earn their vote. The same cannot be said if someone hasn't read either and I'd like to give them that option instead of siding with one of the stories for whatever reasons they may generate. There's of course no guarantee they'll do so and people are free to vote however they wish, but it seems that at least some opt for it if it applies. I'd rather have their votes in there than unnecessarily applied to one of the stories despite having never read it. Plus, part of me hopes that'll motivate them to fix the mistake and someday read these stories. At any rate, nothing is really set in stone with these weekly segments. I'm always open to making modifications to improve them; however, I saw people complain when the option did exist.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

One is actually readable and well written, the other is an overrated and far too unnecessarily gritty for the sake of grittiness. I easily rate Year One as a much superior story to TDKR because of a much better story, superior themes and a better understanding of Batman and the world of Gotham in this edition than TDKR.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

#31  Edited By SynCig

I love both of these. When I decided to get into comics a couple years ago, TDKR was the first thing I bought and it hooked me immediately. With that said, Year One is my favorite comic story of all time.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#33  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@k4tzm4n: Year One actually takes place in both the pre-Flashpoint universe and the DKR universe, so that's interesting. I vote DKR. I always imagine Peter Weller's voice when reading it too.

@lvenger said:

One is actually readable and well written, the other is an overrated and far too unnecessarily gritty for the sake of grittiness. I easily rate Year One as a much superior story to TDKR because of a much better story, superior themes and a better understanding of Batman and the world of Gotham in this edition than TDKR.

DKR > Any Superman story.

And Year One is grittier than DKR.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: Seriously? There are loads of Superman stories I can find that are written better than TDKR. And I agree that Year One is grittier but its grittiness is executed better in the story.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 frozen  Moderator

@k4tzm4n: I'd also like to point out --- DKR is still relevant.

@saren said:

TDKR for me.

Surprised you'd say that.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@lvenger said:

@frozen: Seriously? There are loads of Superman stories I can find that are written better than TDKR. And I agree that Year One is grittier but its grittiness is executed better in the story.

DKR > All Star Superman, For Tomorrow and nearly every other Superman story. The Superman stories that maybe match DKR:

• Kingdom Come
  • Whatever Happened To The Man of Tomorrow?
  • Secret Origins (1986) #1
  • For All Seasons
  • Red Son
  • Birthright

That's about it in my opinion. DKR is a masterpiece, it's hard to match it.

The problem with Superman is that he can't be interpreted very differently.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: I find it really overrated personally. Sure it has some nice commentaries but stuff like The Mutants and the end of the book fails to work in the story at all. The dialogue can be stifled and the art not so nice to look at. And the Superman involvement really harms the dystopian feel of the book

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@lvenger said:

@frozen: I find it really overrated personally. Sure it has some nice commentaries but stuff like The Mutants and the end of the book fails to work in the story at all. The dialogue can be stifled and the art not so nice to look at. And the Superman involvement really harms the dystopian feel of the book

The Mutants represented the anti-subcultures of the 1980s, and while people criticize DKR Batman for being 'fascist' - the story also takes the approach of Batman mentoring them rather than dumping them all in a jail.

Regarding the art, I find it fine - Crisis on Infinite Earths had similar art, DKR can be recoloured as Year One was. Eh, I wasn't too fond of the Superman but regardless, DKR changed the Superman/Batman dynamic.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By RisingBean

Dark Knight loses points for throwing Superman under the boss both in characterization and altering his powerset. Also 60 year old overbuilt Bruce doesn't look right. Lastly the slang really dates the story and makes it a chore to read (or listen to if you check out the animated film.)

Year one was strong right up until the final action sequence, which I found to be somewhat of a letdown.

Given a choice, I'd take the latter any day.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By Mucklefluga

Year One is fantastic. My favourite Batman comic.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TDKR. I liked both, but TDKR 's is a Batman story..with great supporting characters, but it is his story. Year One is as much a Jim Gordon story as it is a Batman story. To me, that was Year One's flaw. Whose story is it? Batman's? Gordon's? A comment on Gotham in general before the Bat? In TDKR, there is no mistaking whose story it is.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Or are your jimmies rustled because Batman beat Superman silly? :D

Avatar image for doctor_malekith
Doctor_Malekith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I despise The Dark Knight Returns. Year One is one of my favorite Batman stories ever. Therefore, this was an easy choice.

Lazz33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I preferred Year One. TDKR was good but after a certain point I just didn't want to read it anymore. Year One may be a Gordon centric story, but it engaged me all the way though and its something I actually don't mind going back to read again. (even if I don't read bats much anymore)

dannymalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45  Edited By dannymalt

No question. Dark Knight Returns. All-time favourite Batman story, epic in scope, love seeing Batman near the end of his career. Year One is just a good origin story. Both of these were made into animated movies as well, Dark Knight Returns wins out in that format too.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Lvenger

@lvenger said:

Or are your jimmies rustled because Batman beat Superman silly? :D

Heh if only that was the single problem I had with TDKR :P

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren said:

Well said.

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally feel that Year One was the better paced of the two stories, so for me it's got to be Year One.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Year One by a country mile.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers