• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by k4tzm4n (34932 posts) 7 months, 10 days ago

Poll: Favorite Comic Runs VOTING: Dan Slott's THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN vs. SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN (248 votes)

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 36%
SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN 60%
Unfortunately, I haven't read either. Shame on me. 5%

Spider-Man has been picked as our very first character of the month and we're doing everything we can to celebrate his victory! This week, we want you all to reflect on the work by Spidey's most recent writer, Dan Slott. Sure, these two options connect and compliment one another, but at the end of the day, they each bring their own strengths to the table and we want to see which ride you enjoyed more. Do you love the various stories Slott presented THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (beginning with Big Time and ending with #700) or did Slott's tale of how Doctor Octopus handled his time as the webhead have you completely immersed?

Are you on the fence and want to reread some issues before picking a side? Well, no worries because the poll will remain open until Friday morning (ET). That's more than enough time to swing back into these runs and then give it some proper thought before making a decision. Is SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN truly superior or do the arcs in THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN have your full support? You can help determine that verdict, so when you're ready, scroll up and cast your vote. Last but not least, we'll highlight a standout post made for each run. So, be sure to get your elaboration on when you explain why one title earned your love. Make it awesome enough and there's a chance it'll appear in the updated feature.

Check the homepage this Friday to see which run takes the prize and why. In the meantime, feel free to make future match-up suggestions in the comments below or tell us via Twitter.

#1 Edited by Fallschirmjager (18949 posts) - - Show Bio

Ahahaha, I have so much urge to go on a rant right now.

Luckily for you I finished a 10 hour shift not too long ago.

#2 Edited by Mucklefluga (2602 posts) - - Show Bio

Both are great but I'm going with Superior.

#4 Posted by dondave (38893 posts) - - Show Bio

Both were great runs but I actually like SpOck more than Peter, so I'd probably go with Superior Spider-Man.

#5 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18737 posts) - - Show Bio

Superior spider-man is winning.

Superior Spider-man is F*cking winning.

I have lost faith in 70% of CV's community.

#6 Posted by vandinejd_1991 (347 posts) - - Show Bio

Superior Spiderman sucked so much!!!! Anyone who likes SpOck better than Peter's Parker's Spiderman should not be considered a Spiderman or comic book fan anymore!!!

#7 Posted by SynCig (642 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmm. I'm pretty lukewarm about Dan Slott. Sometimes his stuff just doesn't do it for me but I think his Superior run was better than all the stuff he wrote in Amazing. I like some of the ideas in his Amazing run but the execution of his ideas weren't always great. Superior was slightly better executed.

#8 Posted by JohnnyConstantine (12 posts) - - Show Bio

I vote Superior Spider-Man. The character was a breath of fresh air after decades of Peter being Peter. I love the character of Peter Parker, but sometimes change is needed to really make you appreciate missing a character. Superior Spider-Man did that. I loved SpOck as well. He was such an atithesis of Peter Parker while actually accomplishing MORE in his own way than Pete ever did. He had two AMAZING (or should that be Superior?) costumes, sensational tech, a friendly neighborhood of supporting cast members, and the most spectacular superhero hidden base full of minions. The stories kept you on the edge of your seat with how unpredictable they were and to be perfectly honest, it was just nice not having someone who took every single thing as a failing on his part. Otto didn't get bummed, he got even. It was a brand new Peter Parker, Spider-Man for just over a year. My only complaint is that it wasn't longer.

#9 Posted by Jphu8414 (3877 posts) - - Show Bio

In my opinion Dan Slott's Amazing run was kind of forgettable and dry. Brand New Day was really just not my cup of tea, Spider-Island and End of the Earth storylines were just very average. Superior Spider-Man was great and I found myself thoroughly interested in Spider-Man for the first time in a long time and picked up every single issue as it came out. The buildup for Superior was incredible and was overall very well written, which is why I find myself voting for it.

#10 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35065 posts) - - Show Bio

What do I vote if I've read both but wasn't a fan of either?

#11 Edited by Squalleon (4902 posts) - - Show Bio

#12 Posted by RD189 (1587 posts) - - Show Bio

Superior was great, because Dan Slott dared to do something different.

#13 Posted by McBig (97 posts) - - Show Bio

I love both but I think superior was cooler because it was something different. All I know is that I don't want him leaving anytime soon.

#14 Edited by leokearon (1785 posts) - - Show Bio

Superior easily, it was different, exciting and the first Spidey title I bought in years. Brand New Day/Big Time was Spidey by numbers.

#15 Posted by kriminal (657 posts) - - Show Bio

Superior Spiderman sucked so much!!!! Anyone who likes SpOck better than Peter's Parker's Spiderman should not be considered a Spiderman or comic book fan anymore!!!

The story was better though. It was interesting even though it wasn't actually peter. my favorite issue in either run was 700. The character fit slott's writing style

#16 Posted by Saren (25088 posts) - - Show Bio

Superior Spider-Man had an actual hero and we are poorer for the loss.

#17 Posted by GraniteSoldier (8940 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm in the minority probably but I actually like most of Slott's work. If I had to choose, I pick Amazing. Under Slott's quill Peter made some big changes, improvements, and evolutions from Big Time to Dying Wish. It felt organic, and natural given the characters decisions. He also showed respect to Peter's villains and supporting cast. Superior wasn't bad, and it was quite fun at times, but it didn't feel as natural as when Slott wrote Peter andfelt more forced to me. It seemed like he worsened his own writing and dumbed down the supporting cast he did such a good job with to make the story work. In the end it wasn't bad, I enjoyed it, but Amazing just had a better feel and better stories.

#18 Posted by Wolverine08 (45636 posts) - - Show Bio

@saren said:

@laflux

:)

#19 Posted by Saren (25088 posts) - - Show Bio

@saren said:

@laflux

:)

Now that he's gone, I can't read an issue of SSM without this song playing in my head.

But hey, we've got Peter Parker back now; I'm sure he could just make a deal with the devil again to cope with the fact that people expect him to be competent now thanks to Otto's example

#20 Edited by powerplay (137 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a bigger fan of his Amazing run if only for Spider-Island. That is a Spidy event done right.

Also I was just depressed when I read the early Superior stuff. Seeing Otto tear Peter's life to shreds really got me down. I know that was the point but it worked too well.

#21 Posted by Wolverine08 (45636 posts) - - Show Bio

@saren: I've always appreciated the rustling of jimmies you accomplish with Laflux via Superior Spider-Man.

#22 Posted by laflux (17548 posts) - - Show Bio

Superior spider-man is winning.

Superior Spider-man is F*cking winning.

I have lost faith in 70% of CV's community.

Its Shameful.

#23 Posted by Wolverine08 (45636 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux: You ain't taking the bait?

#24 Posted by mightypug78 (360 posts) - - Show Bio

SpOck rocks!

#25 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18737 posts) - - Show Bio

@saren said:

#26 Posted by AllStarSuperman (22980 posts) - - Show Bio

@saren said:

#27 Edited by laflux (17548 posts) - - Show Bio

@saren

Really? First off its Dan Slott's run on Spider-Man we are looking at- and the Mephistopheles jibe was the best you could come up with? OMD BND was a horrible story all round, driven by some stupid urge by Joe Quesada to keep Peter relevant by making him single. You were expecting me to believe that in the Marvel Universe, where they are guys like Panther, Cho, Mr Fantastic, even Peter Parker himself couldn't heal an old Woman who had been shot? Peter's uncharacteristic behavior is absolved by the idiocy of those around him, and the Pettiness of a guy who usually deals on cosmic scale with guys like Thanos, Odin and Surfer. Its a wicked shame a writer as talented as JMS has to have something like that on his resume.

#28 Posted by DarthAznable (8161 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought people hated Superior Spider-Man....I'll always back Peter.

#29 Posted by Saren (25088 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux said:

@saren

Really? First off its Dan Slott's run on Spider-Man we are looking at- and the Mephistopheles jibe was the best you could come up with? OMD BND was a horrible story all round, driven by some stupid urge by Joe Quesada to keep Peter relevant by making him single. You were expecting me to believe that in the Marvel Universe, where they are guys like Panther, Cho, Mr Fantastic, even Peter Parker himself couldn't heal an old Woman who had been shot? Peter's uncharacteristic behavior is absolved by the idiocy of those around him, and the Pettiness of a guy who usually deals on cosmic scale with guys like Thanos, Odin and Surfer. Its a wicked shame a writer as talented as JMS has to have something like that on his resume.

You say this like Dan Slott was writing a different character, rather than Peter Parker, who makes deals with the devil when things get tough.

#30 Posted by worldFlash (49 posts) - - Show Bio

@vandinejd_1991: You must be the biggest idiot I have observed yet. People are allowed to like a different character from the original if they want. If you want to say I don't think Spock is that great and then say Peter is better then thats fine, but saying that people that prefer a new kind of Spiderman are not real comic book fans or spidey fans is complete and udder stupidity. There are many reasons why Peter isn't as appealing to Spock. Peter doesn't use his resources or his intellect like he should. He only responds to crisis's and never tries to predict or come up with ways to stop them before they happen. Also he must be the biggest mass murderer ever, allowing people like Massacre and the Spider Slay to live is like putting dropping a bomb from a plane and not knowing where or when it will go off. Sure Peter has his morality and all, but in the end he did much more to hurt then he did to save, while Spock went the extra length to help people even if it meant going behind the Avengers or bending Spidey's moral code.

#31 Posted by Wolverine08 (45636 posts) - - Show Bio

@saren said:

@laflux said:

@saren

You say this like Dan Slott was writing a different character, rather than Peter Parker, who makes deals with the devil when things get tough.

#32 Posted by Jayso4201 (568 posts) - - Show Bio

I understand the whole breathe of fresh air take on Superior but I gotta go with the original. Both really good reads but I don't care for SpOck and his attitude. I kept waiting for him to find some sort of humilty but never found it. To me that's what being Spider-Man is about, being humble, taking care of the little guy, and standing up for what is right. I love the part in Big Time where he finally gets a good job, everything is going great for him but that is just me.

#33 Posted by Wolverine08 (45636 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux went silent after that comment!

#34 Edited by laflux (17548 posts) - - Show Bio

@saren: I've always appreciated the rustling of jimmies you accomplish with Laflux via Superior Spider-Man.

The thing is, I'm not even really mad. I honestly thought someone as intelligent as Saren would be able to see through the ham-fisted, Mary Sue rubbish Superior Spider-Man was offering to us especially during the early series. Seeing SpOck act so out of character, with nobody guessing the truth (apart from Carlie Cooper of course!!!) is as stupid as seeing SpOck's self centered, sociopath tendencies somehow absolved because "Oh he's dating a little person!!!!!". "He cares about how people looks, unlike Peter who dates really attractive woman all the time!!!!". And Slott genuinely believed this. He openly stated on this forum at how he questioned Peter's underdog status because of his previous girlfriends. When pretty much 90 percent of any Female character given any relevant time is by today's standards very attractive.

The point about SpOck getting things done? Big Time was suppossed to showcase what Peter could do with Money, funds and stability. We see him improve his gear, efficiency, fighting style ( the latter something SpOck never did). All without a petty I am God complex. Its what makes SS such a slap in the face. Big Time, Spider Island, EOTE etc wasn't fantastic writing, but it was solid. I guess Slott showed his true colors at the end of Dying wish.....

#35 Edited by Wolverine08 (45636 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux: I hate it when you're serious.

#36 Posted by laflux (17548 posts) - - Show Bio

@saren: I don't know whether your missing the points on purpose. It was out of character. The Whole arc didn't make sense. It was driven solely by a nonsensical plot. It wasn't even in the Slott Amazing Spider-Man. If your trying to wrile me up, try to use material that looks like it wasn't hastly given to you by Wolverine08 in a PM, after a quick Wikipedia search....

@laflux went silent after that comment!

No. I was writing another reply at Saren. See when people challenge me, I don't go running off complaining at how I can't win. You wanna hide behind Saren. Fine. Hide behind Saren. Its the smart move, considering how things have gone since Super_Solider has gone, and you haven't had a skirt to hind under when things get tough.

#37 Edited by laflux (17548 posts) - - Show Bio

Vote ASM, because when Superior Spider-Man was being written, Dan Slott resorted to have petty arguements with the Comicvine community trying to defend his work.....

#38 Edited by Wolverine08 (45636 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux:

You wanna hide behind Saren. Fine. Hide behind Saren. Its the smart move, considering how things have gone since Super_Solider has gone, and you haven't had a skirt to hind under when things get tough.

Heh? Boy, ever since Super Soldier left, I've been putting down Parker nut huggers in his memory! I run this b%tch!

#39 Edited by laflux (17548 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux:

You wanna hide behind Saren. Fine. Hide behind Saren. Its the smart move, considering how things have gone since Super_Solider has gone, and you haven't had a skirt to hind under when things get tough.

Heh? Boy, ever since Super Soldier left, I've been putting down Parker nut huggers in his memory! I run this b%tch!

Kl story bro.

#40 Posted by Wolverine08 (45636 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux said:

@wolverine08 said:

@laflux:

Kl story bro.

You know I'm the man brah.

#41 Posted by HumanRocket (9358 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought that was because Spidey beat Wolverine in the character of the month voting? But why you gotta be mean to Paker fans? he and wolvs are tight.

#42 Posted by Wolverine08 (45636 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08 said:

I thought that was because Spidey beat Wolverine in the character of the month voting? But why you gotta be mean to Paker fans? he and wolvs are tight.

Don't be fooled! These Spider fans are evil behind their facade!

#43 Posted by bob808 (6785 posts) - - Show Bio

SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN

#44 Posted by baneofdemon22 (522 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh finally you throw an easy poll! These have been so darn difficult! Superior Spider-man all the way. It brought me back into Spider-man, after multiple attempts to get into the series since Brand New Day. I really liked the new Marvel Now Amazing Spider-man, so hopefully Dan Slott continues his great trend, starting with Superior. I just want him to get Mary Jane out of the picture, because I hate being teased, and written so annoying. She is what elevated Spider-man to me, and one of the best Marvel characters, and I would rather her killed off, than dragged in the mud.

#45 Posted by MasterBelmont (363 posts) - - Show Bio

Love Superior. Screw the haters.

#46 Posted by Ninjablade09 (3194 posts) - - Show Bio

Normally I'd vote for this, but it's Slott so I'm not.

#47 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (8046 posts) - - Show Bio

SUp SPiderman because that's the one one I read.

#48 Posted by The Lobster (1509 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted Superior, just because it was something so original and that we haven't seen before. The idea of a villain becoming a good guy is nothing new, but becoming his own arch-nemesis down to the DNA, the life, and the responsibilities. What a unique twist on a familiar trope. If anything, it's what Dan Slott will go down and be known for in terms of being a Spider-man writer.

The only people who think Superior Spider-man sucked, are either people who...

A) Didn't read it, which means they should just shut-up cause they're in no position to voice their opinion on something they know nothing about or didn't even read.

or

B) Hardcore Sticklers, who are too afraid of change or anything new and can't just buck up and at least attempt to enjoy something that is outside of their comfort zone.

#49 Posted by jashro44 (25434 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm in the minority probably but I actually like most of Slott's work. If I had to choose, I pick Amazing. Under Slott's quill Peter made some big changes, improvements, and evolutions from Big Time to Dying Wish. It felt organic, and natural given the characters decisions. He also showed respect to Peter's villains and supporting cast. Superior wasn't bad, and it was quite fun at times, but it didn't feel as natural as when Slott wrote Peter andfelt more forced to me. It seemed like he worsened his own writing and dumbed down the supporting cast he did such a good job with to make the story work. In the end it wasn't bad, I enjoyed it, but Amazing just had a better feel and better stories.

This more or less. All though I lost interest in superior spider-man personally. I didn't think it was a terrible idea and I was interested in seeing Dock ock as spider-man at first (since I knew Peter would be back) but I preferred what Yost was doing with SpOck.

#50 Posted by SilverPool (2259 posts) - - Show Bio

Only read Big Time and really have no interest in SSM, so... yeah