This topic is locked from further discussion.

Edited 2 months, 20 days ago

Poll: Favorite Comic Runs VOTING: Christopher Yost's SCARLET SPIDER vs. X-FORCE (245 votes)

Scarlet Spider 47%
X-Force 37%
I love both of them 6%
Sorry, I'm not a fan of either story 1%
I'm ashamed to admit I haven't read either one and won't be able to before Friday 9%

Welcome to Favorite Comic Runs, Christopher Yost!

This week, we want all of you to reflect on the writer's time with Kaine and Wolverine's deadly team. With 2008's X-FORCE, Yost teamed-up with Craig Kyle to create a dark and engrossing path for the team's new roster. And with 2012's SCARLET SPIDER, Yost followed the events of Grim Hunt and showed us Kaine's journey as an anti-hero. But which one of these Marvel runs do you prefer? Does the artwork help sway your opinion in one direction? Do you love them equally and cannot pick a favorite? Or perhaps you're not a fan of either? We want to hear from you!

Do you want to re-read these runs before voting? Well, there's no need to feel rushed because the poll is staying open until this Friday morning (ET). That should give you plenty of time to leap into these two adventures. After giving it a proper amount of thought, cast your vote and then share your full thoughts with us. Make your post awesome enough and there's a chance we'll highlight it in the updated article.

Check the homepage this Friday to see which run takes the victory and why. In the meantime, feel free to make future match-up suggestions in the comments below or tell us via Twitter.

#1 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

Scarlet Spider.

Who knew Yost could take a character I didn't really care about and give him the mantel of my favourite spider-man ever and then go on to make me like him MORE than Ben in the first place.

#2 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

Also guys remember this isn't Remender X-Force. I feel people lump Yost's and Remender's runs together.

#3 Posted by Jawshco (242 posts) - - Show Bio

Both runs are good, but it feels like Yost's run on Scarlet was a bit shorter. X- Force was pretty awesome the entire way. So that gets my vote despite the fact that I'm a bigger fan of Scarlet Spider overall.

#4 Posted by TheAmazingImmortalMan (2895 posts) - - Show Bio

Also guys remember this isn't Remender X-Force. I feel people lump Yost's and Remender's runs together.

I am pretty sure most people know

#5 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:

Also guys remember this isn't Remender X-Force. I feel people lump Yost's and Remender's runs together.

I am pretty sure most people know

Well you can't be to sure

#6 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (13472 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm picking X-Force on this one I really dug the stories and the art was really good.

#7 Posted by TheAmazingImmortalMan (2895 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted X-Force, while not on the same level as Remender's run IMO, it was still great and it is a story I truly enjoyed. I like the idea of Cyclops forming a black ops team led by Wolverine to deal with threats to mutant kind. permanently for that matter. I love the team make up as wel, Wolverine, Wolfsbane, Domino, Warpath, Elixir, Angel and X23. Now Scarlet Spider was a good read but IMO X-Force was a better read, but than again that could be my X-men bias.

#8 Posted by kid Apollo (712 posts) - - Show Bio

loved this Xforce run. the scene with Angel sitting on top of that pile of bodies is chilling

#9 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

#10 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20121 posts) - - Show Bio

Remender's run was better. Yost's SCARLET SPIDER is amazing.

#11 Posted by Darling_Luna (3974 posts) - - Show Bio

X-Force

#12 Posted by LiveForever (273 posts) - - Show Bio

Both are great, Yost's X-Force doesn't get neeeeearly enough love and gets my vote though.

Nice to see it recognized, @k4tzm4n!

#13 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (5008 posts) - - Show Bio

Scarlet Spider

#14 Posted by slade_wilson (447 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider was so good. So freaking good. X Force can't touch it in my opinion.

#15 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1671 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: Exactly my thoughts. I'm afraid Kaine is Scarlet Spider for me now and not Ben...

#16 Edited by ClawFist (318 posts) - - Show Bio

Man, both of these runs were great... but I'm gonna have to give it X-Force. Yost really made the name and team "X-Force" matter in my eyes. Before Yost, X-Force never really got my attention accept for the characters on the team and I really only hoped they'd pop-up in other X-Titles cause I just didn't care about X-Force. Yost changed all that, and then it was followed up by the X-Force: Sex & Violence mini and the superb Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender. Yost really just turned the whole way I looked at X-Force as where in Scarlet Spider (which don't kid yourself, I do love) I was already invested in the name. I expected and hoped Scarlet Spider to be good and it didn't disappoint. So again, my vote goes to X-Force cause it changed my entire outlook on the brand.

#17 Posted by TDK_1997 (14656 posts) - - Show Bio

Both runs are amazing but Yost's X-Force run wasn't as good as his Scarlet Spider one and for me the definitive X-Force run is Remender's.

#18 Edited by GraniteSoldier (7470 posts) - - Show Bio

Got to go Scarlet Spider. Just the way Yost gave Kaine such a gruff but likable personality and really made me care about a character that originally felt like a second rate Spider-Man is a testament to his work. Kaines become one of my favorite characters and his solo was all too short in my opinion.

Yost is at least continuing his legacy of excellence with Kaine in New Warriors.

#19 Posted by Experio (15150 posts) - - Show Bio

Scarlet spider

#20 Posted by angelalfonso (997 posts) - - Show Bio

scarlet spider was sooo good, Yost did an amazing thing with the book, it's a shame it didn't lasted longer.

just this morning i was reading issues 17, 18 and 19

#21 Posted by micah (1268 posts) - - Show Bio

Gotta go with Scarlet Spider. Although I still love X-Force's run.

#22 Edited by Strider92 (16242 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:

Scarlet Spider.

Who knew Yost could take a character I didn't really care about and give him the mantel of my favourite spider-man ever and then go on to make me like him MORE than Ben in the first place.

This. However I did like Classic Kaine.

#24 Posted by redhood21 (803 posts) - - Show Bio

kaine!

#25 Posted by substance104 (20 posts) - - Show Bio

Scarlet Spider is not only my favorite (Yost run) it's also among my overall favorite series, a true legend, I really wish Scarlet wouldn't have been cancelled!

#26 Posted by DADDY_XERO (54 posts) - - Show Bio

sadly I can only vote for what I have read.

Scarlet Spider

but I am sure that x-force is awesome. that's just the way yost rolls.

#27 Posted by Jake Fury (18321 posts) - - Show Bio

X-Force for me.

#28 Posted by thedarkness37 (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Voted for Scarlet Spider. I enjoyed X-Force, but for me Kaine was handled better and made him relevant as a character.

#29 Posted by Super_SoldierXII (6234 posts) - - Show Bio

Read both. X-Force was so much better. Guess the Spidey love on the Vine is bleeding off into shades of Scarlet. Sigh.

Really folks, how was Scarlet Spider in any way, shape or form better than Remender's X-Force?

Jeez. To each his (or her) own.

#30 Posted by k4tzm4n (39496 posts) - - Show Bio

Read both. X-Force was so much better. Guess the Spidey love on the Vine is bleeding off into shades of Scarlet. Sigh.

Really folks, how was Scarlet Spider in any way, shape or form better than Remender's X-Force?

Jeez. To each his (or her) own.

...this is Yost's X-FORCE, not Remender's...

Staff
#31 Posted by Super_SoldierXII (6234 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

@super_soldierxii said:

Read both. X-Force was so much better. Guess the Spidey love on the Vine is bleeding off into shades of Scarlet. Sigh.

Really folks, how was Scarlet Spider in any way, shape or form better than Remender's X-Force?

Jeez. To each his (or her) own.

...this is Yost's X-FORCE, not Remender's...

Oh, well then, I must have misplaced my spectacles. Honestly, read diagonally through. My bad. Yost's run was good. But I can understand folks preferring his work over in Scarlet Spider. Still prefer his work over in X-Force.

#32 Posted by gunmetalgrey (1267 posts) - - Show Bio

Both series were really good, but I just liked how Scarlet Spider was much more versatile. X-Force was just a bit too defining, they're the covert ops team, they have all the vicious killers, they're all about srs bsns.

#33 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11317 posts) - - Show Bio

Greg, y u make me choose :(

I'm gonna have to go with…X-Force though. That series changed the X-Men for me.

#34 Edited by Mrgreenlantern (657 posts) - - Show Bio

@super_soldierxii: well the one thing you need to ask yourself is ,did I care one lick about this clone prior to Yost writing him? the answer most of us will have is a great big HELL NO Ben Reilly is Scarlet SpiderzzZ MVP ETC ETC ETC

This is why Scarlet Spider is so well respected , Yost took a character none of us would have thought twice about and made him compelling and dare I say it more interesting than Peter/Ock, to say his popularity is based only off being a spider clone is just plain wrong.

Thanks to Yost and Co we now think of Kaine as the true Scarlet Spider over Ben Reilly <----the guy who replaced the god damn Amazing Spider-Man!!!

All of this hate for Spider-man is ridiculous...its easy to see hes probably one of the most if not the MOST popular character in comics , and Scarlet Spider was a well respected book loved by many around here , so the turnout doesn't surprise me in the slightest considering Alot of people picked up Scarlet over Superior.

#35 Posted by Super_SoldierXII (6234 posts) - - Show Bio

@super_soldierxii: well the one thing you need to ask yourself is ,did I care one lick about this clone prior to Yost writing him? the answer most of us will have is a great big HELL NO Ben Reilly is Scarlet SpiderzzZ MVP ETC ETC ETC

This is why Scarlet Spider is so well respected , Yost took a character none of us would have thought twice about and made him compelling and dare I say it more interesting than Peter/Ock, to say his popularity is based only off being a spider clone is just plain wrong.

Thanks to Yost and Co we now think of Kaine as the true Scarlet Spider over Ben Reilly <----the guy who replaced the god damn Amazing Spider-Man!!!

All of this hate for Spider-man is ridiculous...its easy to see hes probably one of the most if not the MOST popular character in comics , and Scarlet Spider was a well respected book loved by many around here , so the turnout doesn't surprise me in the slightest considering Alot of people picked up Scarlet over Superior.

Not sure what "all this hate" is alluding to. Any more Spider love circulating on the Vine and Parker needs to start worrying about dropping the soap.

I won't deny that Yost did a better job than most in putting SS on the map. The run, however, was cancelled all the same. So, there's that.

#36 Posted by Wolverine08 (40766 posts) - - Show Bio

@super_soldierxii:

Any more Spider love circulating on the Vine and Parker needs to start worrying about dropping the soap.

#37 Posted by Super_SoldierXII (6234 posts) - - Show Bio

@super_soldierxii:

Any more Spider love circulating on the Vine and Parker needs to start worrying about dropping the soap.

The gif padawan hath struck again.

#38 Posted by Wolverine08 (40766 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Posted by RD189 (1137 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved both to death, and both ended way too soon.

X-Force though had the advantage in art. Clayton Crain and Mike Cho did some of their BEST work ever for Marvel on that series. That scene with Angel lying on the pile of corpses with the light shining down on him... down right biblical. And the scene where Kimura tortured X-23 with a god damned chainsaw, just brutal!

The problem I had with X-Force is that it just got bogged down with the lead in to Second Coming, that I felt Yost and Kyle weren't able to fully explore some of the stories they had planned before Rick Remender took over.

Scarlet Spider has the props for some of the finest character work I've ever read. J.M Demantis may have made Kaine, but Yost gave him the voice and the definitive run he deserved. That was consistently the best book of the month when it was on the shelves. It was fun, it was dark, it was violent, it was everything you could expect from, arguably, Marvel's best writer at the present moment.

If I had one complaint to make about Scarlet Spider, which falls squarely on the editors, was why Kaine was backed into his own little corner and not allowed to interact with the universe at large. It made sense story wise, but the Sibling Rivalry story could have been epic if they had hit on it earlier and allowed to expand into Superior.

Heres hoping Yost gets a shot at the Kaine/X-23 crossover we all would part our dearly earned money for!

#40 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrgreenlantern said:

@super_soldierxii: well the one thing you need to ask yourself is ,did I care one lick about this clone prior to Yost writing him? the answer most of us will have is a great big HELL NO Ben Reilly is Scarlet SpiderzzZ MVP ETC ETC ETC

This is why Scarlet Spider is so well respected , Yost took a character none of us would have thought twice about and made him compelling and dare I say it more interesting than Peter/Ock, to say his popularity is based only off being a spider clone is just plain wrong.

Thanks to Yost and Co we now think of Kaine as the true Scarlet Spider over Ben Reilly <----the guy who replaced the god damn Amazing Spider-Man!!!

All of this hate for Spider-man is ridiculous...its easy to see hes probably one of the most if not the MOST popular character in comics , and Scarlet Spider was a well respected book loved by many around here , so the turnout doesn't surprise me in the slightest considering Alot of people picked up Scarlet over Superior.

Not sure what "all this hate" is alluding to. Any more Spider love circulating on the Vine and Parker needs to start worrying about dropping the soap.

I won't deny that Yost did a better job than most in putting SS on the map. The run, however, was cancelled all the same. So, there's that.

Being canceled means nothing to the quality of a book

#41 Edited by TheAcidSkull (17827 posts) - - Show Bio

If were strictly talking about yosts work, I have to give X-force a slight advantage. And let me stop you right there, this isn't because I like X-23 more than Kaine as a character in general...okay maybe a little, but seriously now, while I absolutely loved Scarlet spider, I felt that it faltered towards the end of the series, and yeah I get it was probably because Yost had to wrap everything up quickly, some of the characters and their reactions were not as well expressed and fleshed out as it should have been, which is a damn shame, because if given enough time, Yost would have concluded with a max score, and while I did enjoy the ending, it wasn't as great as it could have been.

X-force was good from start to finish, it fleshed out a lot of characters and really gave the urge to say "so this is why X-force is considered to do the dirty work?"

It didn't just develop X-23 well, It really gave us a general good look of what some have to face when put forth a very difficult choice. It was gritty, horrific, spectacular visually , and so on. Plus there is also that awesome Elixer Vs Wither fight, remember? Which was a looooong time coming.

Both were awesome though, and I'm hoping marvel will do the right thing and give us a x-23/Kaine crossover.

#42 Posted by Super_SoldierXII (6234 posts) - - Show Bio

@super_soldierxii said:

@mrgreenlantern said:

@super_soldierxii: well the one thing you need to ask yourself is ,did I care one lick about this clone prior to Yost writing him? the answer most of us will have is a great big HELL NO Ben Reilly is Scarlet SpiderzzZ MVP ETC ETC ETC

This is why Scarlet Spider is so well respected , Yost took a character none of us would have thought twice about and made him compelling and dare I say it more interesting than Peter/Ock, to say his popularity is based only off being a spider clone is just plain wrong.

Thanks to Yost and Co we now think of Kaine as the true Scarlet Spider over Ben Reilly <----the guy who replaced the god damn Amazing Spider-Man!!!

All of this hate for Spider-man is ridiculous...its easy to see hes probably one of the most if not the MOST popular character in comics , and Scarlet Spider was a well respected book loved by many around here , so the turnout doesn't surprise me in the slightest considering Alot of people picked up Scarlet over Superior.

Not sure what "all this hate" is alluding to. Any more Spider love circulating on the Vine and Parker needs to start worrying about dropping the soap.

I won't deny that Yost did a better job than most in putting SS on the map. The run, however, was cancelled all the same. So, there's that.

Being canceled means nothing to the quality of a book

Never stated it did. I completely and most emphatically agree with you there. But it does state something about a healthy fan base and how much said fan base "cares" about a given character and do what degree. Which is what the comment was addressing in mrgreenlanter's post.

#43 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:

@super_soldierxii said:

@mrgreenlantern said:

@super_soldierxii: well the one thing you need to ask yourself is ,did I care one lick about this clone prior to Yost writing him? the answer most of us will have is a great big HELL NO Ben Reilly is Scarlet SpiderzzZ MVP ETC ETC ETC

This is why Scarlet Spider is so well respected , Yost took a character none of us would have thought twice about and made him compelling and dare I say it more interesting than Peter/Ock, to say his popularity is based only off being a spider clone is just plain wrong.

Thanks to Yost and Co we now think of Kaine as the true Scarlet Spider over Ben Reilly <----the guy who replaced the god damn Amazing Spider-Man!!!

All of this hate for Spider-man is ridiculous...its easy to see hes probably one of the most if not the MOST popular character in comics , and Scarlet Spider was a well respected book loved by many around here , so the turnout doesn't surprise me in the slightest considering Alot of people picked up Scarlet over Superior.

Not sure what "all this hate" is alluding to. Any more Spider love circulating on the Vine and Parker needs to start worrying about dropping the soap.

I won't deny that Yost did a better job than most in putting SS on the map. The run, however, was cancelled all the same. So, there's that.

Being canceled means nothing to the quality of a book

Never stated it did. I completely and most emphatically agree with you there. But it does state something about a healthy fan base and how much said fan base "cares" about a given character and do what degree. Which is what the comment was addressing in mrgreenlanter's post.

Well that's the point. If nobody cared about Kaine enough to give Yost's book a chance then they never would have fallen in love with the character.

#44 Posted by Super_SoldierXII (6234 posts) - - Show Bio

@super_soldierxii said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@super_soldierxii said:

@mrgreenlantern said:

@super_soldierxii: well the one thing you need to ask yourself is ,did I care one lick about this clone prior to Yost writing him? the answer most of us will have is a great big HELL NO Ben Reilly is Scarlet SpiderzzZ MVP ETC ETC ETC

This is why Scarlet Spider is so well respected , Yost took a character none of us would have thought twice about and made him compelling and dare I say it more interesting than Peter/Ock, to say his popularity is based only off being a spider clone is just plain wrong.

Thanks to Yost and Co we now think of Kaine as the true Scarlet Spider over Ben Reilly <----the guy who replaced the god damn Amazing Spider-Man!!!

All of this hate for Spider-man is ridiculous...its easy to see hes probably one of the most if not the MOST popular character in comics , and Scarlet Spider was a well respected book loved by many around here , so the turnout doesn't surprise me in the slightest considering Alot of people picked up Scarlet over Superior.

Not sure what "all this hate" is alluding to. Any more Spider love circulating on the Vine and Parker needs to start worrying about dropping the soap.

I won't deny that Yost did a better job than most in putting SS on the map. The run, however, was cancelled all the same. So, there's that.

Being canceled means nothing to the quality of a book

Never stated it did. I completely and most emphatically agree with you there. But it does state something about a healthy fan base and how much said fan base "cares" about a given character and do what degree. Which is what the comment was addressing in mrgreenlanter's post.

Well that's the point. If nobody cared about Kaine enough to give Yost's book a chance then they never would have fallen in love with the character.

In part. But there's something to be said about the "buzz" a book makes if it's really so great. Enough folks care about Spider-Man to at least have given the book a chance. And it did generate talk. At least here on the Vine it did.

Personally, I felt it was a good book. But nothing I was eager to get my hands on each month. If I missed an issue, well, I really didn't "miss" it all that much. No disrespect to folks who loved it intended. Personal taste is all.

#45 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:

@super_soldierxii said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@super_soldierxii said:

@mrgreenlantern said:

@super_soldierxii: well the one thing you need to ask yourself is ,did I care one lick about this clone prior to Yost writing him? the answer most of us will have is a great big HELL NO Ben Reilly is Scarlet SpiderzzZ MVP ETC ETC ETC

This is why Scarlet Spider is so well respected , Yost took a character none of us would have thought twice about and made him compelling and dare I say it more interesting than Peter/Ock, to say his popularity is based only off being a spider clone is just plain wrong.

Thanks to Yost and Co we now think of Kaine as the true Scarlet Spider over Ben Reilly <----the guy who replaced the god damn Amazing Spider-Man!!!

All of this hate for Spider-man is ridiculous...its easy to see hes probably one of the most if not the MOST popular character in comics , and Scarlet Spider was a well respected book loved by many around here , so the turnout doesn't surprise me in the slightest considering Alot of people picked up Scarlet over Superior.

Not sure what "all this hate" is alluding to. Any more Spider love circulating on the Vine and Parker needs to start worrying about dropping the soap.

I won't deny that Yost did a better job than most in putting SS on the map. The run, however, was cancelled all the same. So, there's that.

Being canceled means nothing to the quality of a book

Never stated it did. I completely and most emphatically agree with you there. But it does state something about a healthy fan base and how much said fan base "cares" about a given character and do what degree. Which is what the comment was addressing in mrgreenlanter's post.

Well that's the point. If nobody cared about Kaine enough to give Yost's book a chance then they never would have fallen in love with the character.

In part. But there's something to be said about the "buzz" a book makes if it's really so great. Enough folks care about Spider-Man to at least have given the book a chance. And it did generate talk. At least here on the Vine it did.

Personally, I felt it was a good book. But nothing I was eager to get my hands on each month. If I missed an issue, well, I really didn't "miss" it all that much. No disrespect to folks who loved it intended. Personal taste is all.

Plenty of amazing books live and die without a huge buzz.

#46 Posted by RedX17 (73 posts) - - Show Bio

I love them both to much to choose. His X-Force run did great things for Wolfsbane and Kaine was my favorite spider book for it's whole run. I choose both.

#47 Edited by Super_SoldierXII (6234 posts) - - Show Bio

@super_soldierxii said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@super_soldierxii said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@super_soldierxii said:

@mrgreenlantern said:

@super_soldierxii: well the one thing you need to ask yourself is ,did I care one lick about this clone prior to Yost writing him? the answer most of us will have is a great big HELL NO Ben Reilly is Scarlet SpiderzzZ MVP ETC ETC ETC

This is why Scarlet Spider is so well respected , Yost took a character none of us would have thought twice about and made him compelling and dare I say it more interesting than Peter/Ock, to say his popularity is based only off being a spider clone is just plain wrong.

Thanks to Yost and Co we now think of Kaine as the true Scarlet Spider over Ben Reilly <----the guy who replaced the god damn Amazing Spider-Man!!!

All of this hate for Spider-man is ridiculous...its easy to see hes probably one of the most if not the MOST popular character in comics , and Scarlet Spider was a well respected book loved by many around here , so the turnout doesn't surprise me in the slightest considering Alot of people picked up Scarlet over Superior.

Not sure what "all this hate" is alluding to. Any more Spider love circulating on the Vine and Parker needs to start worrying about dropping the soap.

I won't deny that Yost did a better job than most in putting SS on the map. The run, however, was cancelled all the same. So, there's that.

Being canceled means nothing to the quality of a book

Never stated it did. I completely and most emphatically agree with you there. But it does state something about a healthy fan base and how much said fan base "cares" about a given character and do what degree. Which is what the comment was addressing in mrgreenlanter's post.

Well that's the point. If nobody cared about Kaine enough to give Yost's book a chance then they never would have fallen in love with the character.

In part. But there's something to be said about the "buzz" a book makes if it's really so great. Enough folks care about Spider-Man to at least have given the book a chance. And it did generate talk. At least here on the Vine it did.

Personally, I felt it was a good book. But nothing I was eager to get my hands on each month. If I missed an issue, well, I really didn't "miss" it all that much. No disrespect to folks who loved it intended. Personal taste is all.

Plenty of amazing books live and die without a huge buzz.

Do tell.

There's a difference between generating buzz, popularity and ultimate success. Good material that is actually accessible will almost always generate buzz - doesn't mean it will be successful and/or popular at large. And no, success is not the only yardstick upon which to measure the quality of the material in question. Obviously.

You're right, there's plenty of well written, unpopularized material out there. Marvel doesn't publish them though. And when they do, they sure don't stay on the shelves overly long. But yeah, they exist.