Favorite Comic Runs VOTING: Christopher Yost's SCARLET SPIDER vs. X-FORCE

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Favorite Comic Runs VOTING: Christopher Yost's SCARLET SPIDER vs. X-FORCE (246 votes)

Scarlet Spider 47%
X-Force 37%
I love both of them 6%
Sorry, I'm not a fan of either story 1%
I'm ashamed to admit I haven't read either one and won't be able to before Friday 9%

Welcome to Favorite Comic Runs, Christopher Yost!

This week, we want all of you to reflect on the writer's time with Kaine and Wolverine's deadly team. With 2008's X-FORCE, Yost teamed-up with Craig Kyle to create a dark and engrossing path for the team's new roster. And with 2012's SCARLET SPIDER, Yost followed the events of Grim Huntand showed us Kaine's journey as an anti-hero. But which one of these Marvel runs do you prefer? Does the artwork help sway your opinion in one direction? Do you love them equally and cannot pick a favorite? Or perhaps you're not a fan of either? We want to hear from you!

Do you want to re-read these runs before voting? Well, there's no need to feel rushed because the poll is staying open until this Friday morning (ET). That should give you plenty of time to leap into these two adventures. After giving it a proper amount of thought, cast your vote and then share your full thoughts with us. Make your post awesome enough and there's a chance we'll highlight it in the updated article.

Check the homepage this Friday to see which run takes the victory and why. In the meantime, feel free to make future match-up suggestions in the comments below or tell us via Twitter.

• 
Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#1  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Scarlet Spider.

Who knew Yost could take a character I didn't really care about and give him the mantel of my favourite spider-man ever and then go on to make me like him MORE than Ben in the first place.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also guys remember this isn't Remender X-Force. I feel people lump Yost's and Remender's runs together.

Jawshco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Both runs are good, but it feels like Yost's run on Scarlet was a bit shorter. X- Force was pretty awesome the entire way. So that gets my vote despite the fact that I'm a bigger fan of Scarlet Spider overall.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Also guys remember this isn't Remender X-Force. I feel people lump Yost's and Remender's runs together.

I am pretty sure most people know

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

I am pretty sure most people know

Well you can't be to sure

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

I'm picking X-Force on this one I really dug the stories and the art was really good.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted X-Force, while not on the same level as Remender's run IMO, it was still great and it is a story I truly enjoyed. I like the idea of Cyclops forming a black ops team led by Wolverine to deal with threats to mutant kind. permanently for that matter. I love the team make up as wel, Wolverine, Wolfsbane, Domino, Warpath, Elixir, Angel and X23. Now Scarlet Spider was a good read but IMO X-Force was a better read, but than again that could be my X-men bias.

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

loved this Xforce run. the scene with Angel sitting on top of that pile of bodies is chilling

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

Remender's run was better. Yost's SCARLET SPIDER is amazing.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

X-Force

LiveForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both are great, Yost's X-Force doesn't get neeeeearly enough love and gets my vote though.

Nice to see it recognized, @k4tzm4n!

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scarlet Spider

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Spider was so good. So freaking good. X Force can't touch it in my opinion.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Exactly my thoughts. I'm afraid Kaine is Scarlet Spider for me now and not Ben...

ClawFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ClawFist

Man, both of these runs were great... but I'm gonna have to give it X-Force. Yost really made the name and team "X-Force" matter in my eyes. Before Yost, X-Force never really got my attention accept for the characters on the team and I really only hoped they'd pop-up in other X-Titles cause I just didn't care about X-Force. Yost changed all that, and then it was followed up by the X-Force: Sex & Violence mini and the superb Uncanny X-Force by Rick Remender. Yost really just turned the whole way I looked at X-Force as where in Scarlet Spider (which don't kid yourself, I do love) I was already invested in the name. I expected and hoped Scarlet Spider to be good and it didn't disappoint. So again, my vote goes to X-Force cause it changed my entire outlook on the brand.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Both runs are amazing but Yost's X-Force run wasn't as good as his Scarlet Spider one and for me the definitive X-Force run is Remender's.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#18  Edited By GraniteSoldier

Got to go Scarlet Spider. Just the way Yost gave Kaine such a gruff but likable personality and really made me care about a character that originally felt like a second rate Spider-Man is a testament to his work. Kaines become one of my favorite characters and his solo was all too short in my opinion.

Yost is at least continuing his legacy of excellence with Kaine in New Warriors.

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scarlet spider

angelalfonso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

scarlet spider was sooo good, Yost did an amazing thing with the book, it's a shame it didn't lasted longer.

just this morning i was reading issues 17, 18 and 19

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotta go with Scarlet Spider. Although I still love X-Force's run.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By Strider1992

@jonny_anonymous said:

Scarlet Spider.

Who knew Yost could take a character I didn't really care about and give him the mantel of my favourite spider-man ever and then go on to make me like him MORE than Ben in the first place.

This. However I did like Classic Kaine.

redhood21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kaine!

substance104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scarlet Spider is not only my favorite (Yost run) it's also among my overall favorite series, a true legend, I really wish Scarlet wouldn't have been cancelled!

DADDY_XERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sadly I can only vote for what I have read.

Scarlet Spider

but I am sure that x-force is awesome. that's just the way yost rolls.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

X-Force for me.

thedarkness37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Voted for Scarlet Spider. I enjoyed X-Force, but for me Kaine was handled better and made him relevant as a character.

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read both. X-Force was so much better. Guess the Spidey love on the Vine is bleeding off into shades of Scarlet. Sigh.

Really folks, how was Scarlet Spider in any way, shape or form better than Remender's X-Force?

Jeez. To each his (or her) own.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Read both. X-Force was so much better. Guess the Spidey love on the Vine is bleeding off into shades of Scarlet. Sigh.

Really folks, how was Scarlet Spider in any way, shape or form better than Remender's X-Force?

...this is Yost's X-FORCE, not Remender's...

Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

@super_soldierxii said:

...this is Yost's X-FORCE, not Remender's...

Oh, well then, I must have misplaced my spectacles. Honestly, read diagonally through. My bad. Yost's run was good. But I can understand folks preferring his work over in Scarlet Spider. Still prefer his work over in X-Force.

gunmetalgrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both series were really good, but I just liked how Scarlet Spider was much more versatile. X-Force was just a bit too defining, they're the covert ops team, they have all the vicious killers, they're all about srs bsns.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Greg, y u make me choose :(

I'm gonna have to go with…X-Force though. That series changed the X-Men for me.

Mrgreenlantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Mrgreenlantern

@super_soldierxii: well the one thing you need to ask yourself is ,did I care one lick about this clone prior to Yost writing him? the answer most of us will have is a great big HELL NO Ben Reilly is Scarlet SpiderzzZ MVP ETC ETC ETC

This is why Scarlet Spider is so well respected , Yost took a character none of us would have thought twice about and made him compelling and dare I say it more interesting than Peter/Ock, to say his popularity is based only off being a spider clone is just plain wrong.

Thanks to Yost and Co we now think of Kaine as the true Scarlet Spider over Ben Reilly <----the guy who replaced the god damn Amazing Spider-Man!!!

All of this hate for Spider-man is ridiculous...its easy to see hes probably one of the most if not the MOST popular character in comics , and Scarlet Spider was a well respected book loved by many around here , so the turnout doesn't surprise me in the slightest considering Alot of people picked up Scarlet over Superior.

Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@super_soldierxii: well the one thing you need to ask yourself is ,did I care one lick about this clone prior to Yost writing him? the answer most of us will have is a great big HELL NO Ben Reilly is Scarlet SpiderzzZ MVP ETC ETC ETC

This is why Scarlet Spider is so well respected , Yost took a character none of us would have thought twice about and made him compelling and dare I say it more interesting than Peter/Ock, to say his popularity is based only off being a spider clone is just plain wrong.

Thanks to Yost and Co we now think of Kaine as the true Scarlet Spider over Ben Reilly <----the guy who replaced the god damn Amazing Spider-Man!!!

All of this hate for Spider-man is ridiculous...its easy to see hes probably one of the most if not the MOST popular character in comics , and Scarlet Spider was a well respected book loved by many around here , so the turnout doesn't surprise me in the slightest considering Alot of people picked up Scarlet over Superior.

Not sure what "all this hate" is alluding to. Any more Spider love circulating on the Vine and Parker needs to start worrying about dropping the soap.

I won't deny that Yost did a better job than most in putting SS on the map. The run, however, was cancelled all the same. So, there's that.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@super_soldierxii:

Any more Spider love circulating on the Vine and Parker needs to start worrying about dropping the soap.

No Caption Provided

Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@super_soldierxii:

Any more Spider love circulating on the Vine and Parker needs to start worrying about dropping the soap.

No Caption Provided

The gif padawan hath struck again.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-61bde0e570bb9
deactivated-61bde0e570bb9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved both to death, and both ended way too soon.

X-Force though had the advantage in art. Clayton Crain and Mike Cho did some of their BEST work ever for Marvel on that series. That scene with Angel lying on the pile of corpses with the light shining down on him... down right biblical. And the scene where Kimura tortured X-23 with a god damned chainsaw, just brutal!

The problem I had with X-Force is that it just got bogged down with the lead in to Second Coming, that I felt Yost and Kyle weren't able to fully explore some of the stories they had planned before Rick Remender took over.

Scarlet Spider has the props for some of the finest character work I've ever read. J.M Demantis may have made Kaine, but Yost gave him the voice and the definitive run he deserved. That was consistently the best book of the month when it was on the shelves. It was fun, it was dark, it was violent, it was everything you could expect from, arguably, Marvel's best writer at the present moment.

If I had one complaint to make about Scarlet Spider, which falls squarely on the editors, was why Kaine was backed into his own little corner and not allowed to interact with the universe at large. It made sense story wise, but the Sibling Rivalry story could have been epic if they had hit on it earlier and allowed to expand into Superior.

Heres hoping Yost gets a shot at the Kaine/X-23 crossover we all would part our dearly earned money for!

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrgreenlantern said:

Not sure what "all this hate" is alluding to. Any more Spider love circulating on the Vine and Parker needs to start worrying about dropping the soap.

I won't deny that Yost did a better job than most in putting SS on the map. The run, however, was cancelled all the same. So, there's that.

Being canceled means nothing to the quality of a book

Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@super_soldierxii said:

@mrgreenlantern said:

Never stated it did. I completely and most emphatically agree with you there. But it does state something about a healthy fan base and how much said fan base "cares" about a given character and do what degree. Which is what the comment was addressing in mrgreenlanter's post.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

@super_soldierxii said:

@mrgreenlantern said:

Never stated it did. I completely and most emphatically agree with you there. But it does state something about a healthy fan base and how much said fan base "cares" about a given character and do what degree. Which is what the comment was addressing in mrgreenlanter's post.

Well that's the point. If nobody cared about Kaine enough to give Yost's book a chance then they never would have fallen in love with the character.

Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@super_soldierxii said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@super_soldierxii said:

@mrgreenlantern said:

Well that's the point. If nobody cared about Kaine enough to give Yost's book a chance then they never would have fallen in love with the character.

In part. But there's something to be said about the "buzz" a book makes if it's really so great. Enough folks care about Spider-Man to at least have given the book a chance. And it did generate talk. At least here on the Vine it did.

Personally, I felt it was a good book. But nothing I was eager to get my hands on each month. If I missed an issue, well, I really didn't "miss" it all that much. No disrespect to folks who loved it intended. Personal taste is all.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

@super_soldierxii said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@super_soldierxii said:

@mrgreenlantern said:

In part. But there's something to be said about the "buzz" a book makes if it's really so great. Enough folks care about Spider-Man to at least have given the book a chance. And it did generate talk. At least here on the Vine it did.

Personally, I felt it was a good book. But nothing I was eager to get my hands on each month. If I missed an issue, well, I really didn't "miss" it all that much. No disrespect to folks who loved it intended. Personal taste is all.

Plenty of amazing books live and die without a huge buzz.

Red-X17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love them both to much to choose. His X-Force run did great things for Wolfsbane and Kaine was my favorite spider book for it's whole run. I choose both.

Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Super_SoldierXII

@super_soldierxii said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@super_soldierxii said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@super_soldierxii said:

@mrgreenlantern said:

Plenty of amazing books live and die without a huge buzz.

Do tell.

There's a difference between generating buzz, popularity and ultimate success. Good material that is actually accessible will almost always generate buzz - doesn't mean it will be successful and/or popular at large. And no, success is not the only yardstick upon which to measure the quality of the material in question. Obviously.

You're right, there's plenty of well written, unpopularized material out there. Marvel doesn't publish them though. And when they do, they sure don't stay on the shelves overly long. But yeah, they exist.