Favorite Comic Runs VOTING: Chris Claremont's DAYS OF FUTURE PAST vs. WOLVERINE

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Favorite Comic Runs VOTING: Chris Claremont's DAYS OF FUTURE PAST vs. WOLVERINE (127 votes)

Days of Future Past 44%
Wolverine 42%
Unfortunately, I haven't read either. Shame on me. 16%

Welcome to the Favorite Comic Runs' spotlight, Chris Claremont!

The writer is well-known for his time with the X-Men and has produced more than a handful of must read stories about the mutants. This week, however, we wanted to be a little topical. Seeing as X-Men: Days of Future Past is opening soon and The Wolverine was Fox's most recent X-Men movie, why not have some fun chatting about the source material that inspired both of them?

Collaborating with Frank Miller, Claremont released WOLVERINE in 1982. The four-issue mini-series aimed to expand how we view James Howlett while also doing a great deal to expand his mythos. Plus, the fights with Lord Shingen were simply awesome. A year before Logan's solo adventure was released, a two-issue story arc called Days of Future Past began in THE UNCANNY X-MEN. Working with John Byrne, the two-part epic centered around Kitty Pryde and unveiled a dark future where mutants are constantly hunted by Sentinels. Pryde goes back in time in an attempt to stop the incident that kicked off the path to this twisted, violent and bleak future. Needless to say, these are both must read stories for any and all X-Men fans, but which one do you prefer and why?

Still haven't read either of these X-Men stories or do you want to reread them before picking a winner? Well, that's not a problem at all. The poll is open until Friday morning (ET). That's plenty of time to give this a proper amount of thought and pick a side, right? I mean, we are talking about six issues, after all. This also gives you more than enough time to convince others why you believe one of these Claremont stories deserves to earn the victory. If you think the poll isn't going the way it should, you have a few days to spread the word and bring in more voters. So yeah, there's absolutely an adequate amount of time for the poll to fluctuate. Lastly, if your post is legitimately full of fantasticness, there's a chance we'll highlight it in Friday's article as the "Viner Post of the Week." One will be selected for each story, so you better get your elaboration on if you want your post to be considered.

On the count of three, everyone say, "way to go, Billy!" Why, you ask? Because the Comic Viner Billy Batson was the first person to correctly identify this week's match-up based on the small teaser we posted in Friday's article. Ready? One... two... three!

Check the homepage on Friday to see which story won and why. In the meantime, feel free to make future match-up suggestions in the comments below or via Twitter.

• 
Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Wolverine008

Wolverine gets my voted based on principle!

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

I've actually never read DOFP. I know what happens, but the X-Men just turn me off. I did enjoy the Wolverine mini though.

nigravirum1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This was without a doubt the hardest choice yet on the favorite comic runs section! Good job to the staff for picking this out! I chose DOFP though just because I like the diversity in the story and the uniqueness of it! Still absolutely loved wolverine though! Ugh it was such a tough choice!

Nerd Of A Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 2

Unfortunately, I haven't read either. Shame on me...

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Wolverine008

But in all seriousness, I am going to have to give my vote to Wolverine by Chris Claremont for the win in this fight. Sure, there's a little bias with my Wolverine love, but I think it's well deserved with in this particular instance. Wolverine is just so important to the character of Wolverine today. Up until this came, Wolverine was more of a background character along with the X-Men, and Chris Claremont not only upped interest of Wolverine and the role he played with the X-Men, but the man laid out the basic principles that make up Wolverine's character. The makings of the enigmatic, gruff loner whom despite his unappealing appearance at first sight, had a heart of gold and an extremely strong sense of honor were laid down here. In a day in age where Wolverine writers like Paul Cornell take Wolverine to the point that if he doesn't have his healing factor, he's running around like a chicken with his head cut off and completely forgets what made him the guy he is, it feels good to open up this story and see that even at a time where he didn't have a healing factor that made him more or less immortal, Wolverine still kept that honor and courage even when his life was at risk fighting Shingen while poisoned. By today's standards, some might consider the dialogue in this story to be a bit wordy, but I personally think it's a part of Chris Claremont's style back in his golden days of using his exposition perfectly to connect readers emotionally to the characters he's writing. Frank Miller's art is also on point even till today, and as already mentioned, the character aspects that make up Wolverine that are rooted in Japanese lore like honor, etc. are poignantly portrayed without getting stereotypical.

Mind you, Days of Future Past is another excellent X-Men story by Chris Claremont, and a great read for anyone interested in Kitty Pryde, but Wolverine is just an entirely different beast when viewed in comparison IMO. If you ask most people when Wolverine was created, they'll give you answer like Incredible Hulk #180 or Incredible Hulk #181, but for me, this is the story when Wolverine was truly created. Wolverine writers of the future, take note, this story is an exemplary character work for Wolverine, and something that should be always looked back at to get a sense of the character. Even if you don't really care for Wolverine, I'd still recommend this for you just for the excellent character work on display.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By TDK_1997

It's a shame that I cannot vote this time since I haven't read DOFP.But on the other side,I love the Wolverine mini by Claremont and Frank Miller - it's one of my favorite Wolverine stories ever.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@tdk_1997 said:

It's a shame that I cannot vote this time since I haven't read DOFP.But on the other side,I love the Wolverine mini by Claremont and Frank Miller - it's one of my favorite Wolverine stories ever.

You have roughly four full days to read a two issue story arc. I think that's doable, no? :P

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08 said:

But in all seriousness, I am going to have to give my vote to Wolverine by Chris Claremont for the win in this fight. Sure, there's a little bias with my Wolverine love, but I think it's well deserved with in this particular instance. Wolverine is just so important to the character of Wolverine today. Up until this came, Wolverine was more of a background character along with the X-Men, and Chris Claremont not only upped interest of Wolverine and the role he played with the X-Men, but the man laid out the basic principles that make up Wolverine's character. The makings of the enigmatic, gruff loner whom despite his unappealing appearance at first sight, had a heart of gold and an extremely strong sense of honor were laid down here. In a day in age where Wolverine writers like Paul Cornell take Wolverine to the point that if he doesn't have his healing factor, he's running around like a chicken with his head cut off and completely forgets what made him the guy he is, it feels good to open up this story and see that even at a time where he didn't have a healing factor that made him more or less immortal, Wolverine still kept that honor and courage even when his life was at risk fighting Shingen while poisoned. By today's standards, some might consider the dialogue in this story to be a bit wordy, but I personally think it's a part of Chris Claremont's style back in his golden days of using his exposition perfectly to connect readers emotionally to the characters he's writing. Frank Miller's art is also on point even till today, and as already mentioned, the character aspects that make up Wolverine that are rooted in Japanese lore like honor, etc. are poignantly portrayed without getting stereotypical.

Mind you, Days of Future Past is another excellent X-Men story by Chris Claremont, and a great read for anyone interested in Kitty Pryde, but Wolverine is just an entirely different beast when viewed in comparison IMO. If you ask most people when Wolverine was created, they'll give you answer like Incredible Hulk #180 or Incredible Hulk #181, but for me, this is the story when Wolverine was truly created. Wolverine writers of the future, take note, this story is an exemplary character work for Wolverine, and something that should be always looked back at to get a sense of the character. Even if you don't really care for Wolverine, I'd still recommend this for you just for the excellent character work on display.

there you go, doesn't that feel good?

You bet your arse it did! I'm the best in the world!

No Caption Provided

I lift more than you and Laflux combined as well!

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

@k4tzm4n said:

@tdk_1997 said:

You have roughly four full days to read a two issue story arc. I think that's doable, no? :P

I will try but the problem is that I do not have much free time these days and this about to be a busy week as well.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've read both and Days of Futur Past was better IMO

Mapuia_Ralte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Time travel plot or ninja and samurai in Japan plot!! Hmmm, this one's tough. NOT! I'll go with the latter, thank you very much.

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Read and enjoyed both a lot. Vote goes to Days of Future Past.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

I haven't read DOFP yet and I doubt I'll read it before the poll closes unfortunately. I recently read the Wolverine story and I really enjoyed it. There are aspects of it that suffer from the time period that it was published in. Specifically, there are too many instances where the action takes place off panel and we are merely told about it through dialogue or thought balloons/boxes. That was pretty much a constant in comics of the time though so I don't hold it against the story.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DoFP. But that's only because I haven't read Wolverine (sorry).

hart7668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I read DoFP but was quite underwhelmed. I read Wolverine and was pleasantly surprised.

Lazz33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went back and read DOFP and it wasn't as good as I remembered. Didn't seem to stand the test of time. Wolverine I can still enjoy now, even with me not liking his current form.

pinecone1510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: Days of future past is only 2 issues? But if that's the case wouldn't The dark phoenix saga be more deserving not only because of length(unless those 2 issues are incredible which i can believe) but also because of it's acclaim and importance.Or did the movies affect the choice given that The Wolverine was just last year and DOFP is this year?.If not i would be interested in knowing why those 2 instead of The dark phoenix saga(which is the only one i read so far and i am really curious as to how those story's can be more significant).

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@pinecone: ".Or did the movies affect the choice given that The Wolverine was just last year and DOFP is this year?."

The writer is well-known for his time with the X-Men and has produced more than a handful of must read stories about the mutants. This week, however, we wanted to be a little topical. Seeing as X-Men: Days of Future Past is opening soon and The Wolverine was Fox's most recent X-Men movie, why not have some fun chatting about the source material that inspired both of them?

Protoflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be honest. I did not really like the two issue days of future past story arc. At all. It was just really rushed and since I had read very little of chris claremont's run before this, none of the deaths really mattered to me. It just seemed to me like it was legendary for the shock value that came with killing everyone. I mean, yeah what resulted from this story was great seeing as it introduced the sentinels. But overall the arc was just disappointing. While wolverine on the other hand, was a very interesting look into the mindset of the character, and the art, as it should go without saying with it being penciled by frank miller, was great. Given i'm not really into the whole ninjas in marvel comics thing, I mean, the sheer overabundance of mutants and ninjas in marvel comics in the 80s is what inspired the teenage mutant ninja turtles. But yeah, I'm gonna have to go with wolverine on this one.

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Sovereign91001

The vote is pretty even (at this point).

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By dondave

@saren

I've actually never read DOFP. I know what happens, but the X-Men just turn me off. I did enjoy the Wolverine mini though.

WilliamYates8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first one that I've read both of! I'm going with Days of Future Past. It is probably my favorite X-Men story, with the time travelling aspect, that darker tone that was present when you read the future parts of the story, a classic in my eyes. I do really enjoy the Wolverine story though.

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely the Claremont / Miller mini. Nuff said really. By far and away one of the stories that put Wolverine on the map back in the day. Was the original material that drew me to the character when I was still a hockey card trading, bubble gum chewing, skateboard riding, Guns n' Roses jiving young prepubescent, impressionable starryeyed tyke. :P

A+

Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Super_SoldierXII

@wolverine08 Though seriously, I gotta say, what's with everyone on the Vine telling me to "go crazy" these days. Yes, yes, I know it's a figure of speech, but it's very often used in my regard of late. Like there's a poll here as to when and how I'll finally lose it and start dropping the "f" bomb all over the place. Lol.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@saren said:

I would bet that most that voted DoFP are in exactly the same boat as you but are voting based on reputation.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08 Though seriously, I gotta say, what's with everyone on the Vine telling me to "go crazy" these days. Yes, yes, I know it's a figure of speech, but it's very often used in my regard of late. Like there's a poll here as to when and how I'll finally lose it and start dropping the "f" bomb all over the place. Lol.

Because we love it when the berserker in you is let loose! We came to be entertained and you do it well! And Super Soldier "starryeyed'? Hard to imagine if I say so myself :D

Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@super_soldierxii said:

Because we love it when the berserker in you is let loose! We came to be entertained and you do it well! And Super Soldier "starryeyed'? Hard to imagine if I say so myself :D

Young and innocent was I.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08 said:

@super_soldierxii said:

What happened to you? You're so gruff and hardened now! :)

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@super_soldierxii said:

@wolverine08 said:

@super_soldierxii said:

Get a room, you two!

Oh and I'm voting for the Wolverine Mini. It's still my favorite Wolverine story even after 30 years.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Wolverine008

@wolverine08 said:

@super_soldierxii said:

@wolverine08 said:

@super_soldierxii said:

Get a room, you two!

Oh and I'm voting for the Wolverine Mini. It's still my favorite Wolverine story even after 30 years.

Don't mind us! We're just reminiscing over the good ole' days for Logan, but the future is still bright! We have Paul Cornell, the Wolverking at the helm of Wolverine!

No Caption Provided

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

Aw man, this was a tough choice! I really enjoyed both stories, but I choose Wolverine because I loved the way that it focused on Wolverine and I really loved the Japan story line with Wolverine.

Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08 said:

@super_soldierxii said:

@wolverine08 said:

@super_soldierxii said:

Get a room, you two!

Now, now ... don't be jealous. Classic 80's Logan-Love (yeah, it's a new thing) is a wondrous, momentous moment to be shared by all!

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope Paul Cornell's Wolverine gets a chance on here soon. Such a wonderful take on the Wolverine character.

Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Super_SoldierXII

I hope Paul Cornell's Wolverine gets a chance on here soon. Such a wonderful take on the Wolverine character.

The Troll is weak with this one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Haven't read either.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08 said:

The Troll is weak with this one.

There is no trolling with me! Respect the Wolverking!

No Caption Provided

MannEffest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

#42  Edited By MannEffest

I liked Wolverine… But I LOVED Days of Future Past!!! (If you can't tell by the exclamation points). In the 80's, before the saturation of time-traveling events, I'm sure fanboys were craving an alternate future story. And boy, did Claremont deliver!

Gracing us with a story that, while short, brought a new depth to the human-mutant conflict in the form of a future where humanity's hatred of mutants crescendoed to a point where they brought not only the downfall of the mutant race, but their own as well, in the form of the fan-favorite Sentinels. We, the readers, witnessed in horror at the desolation of what a single repercussion (in this case the assassination of Senator Kelly) could do to an entire future. This was a great social commentary at the time. Claremont also cleverly gave fans a glimpse into what older versions of their favorite characters would look like and give (ahem, the lesser-loved) Kitty Pryde the role of the heroine, cementing her as a character that would be loved for years to come. Finally, it also showed that not every story has a happy ending. While the present day X-Men win this fight, the future X-Men, save for Rachel Summers (and we will not count Wolverine), all died. Were killed on panel. Never to be seen again. That's heart breaking, even if they were not the characters we knew, only their future selves. Just imagine Marvel wiping out all of the X-Men within two issues. Yeah, I know, you can't. Chris Claremont took a chance that not many would, he gave us the godfather of X-Men alternate futures and succeeded wholeheartedly. It has inspired so many young comic book minds to take a stab at the apocalyptic alternate reality, be it a real comic or a fan-fic. It even inspired an amazing one season TV series called Wolverine and the X-Men (go check it out! It was soooo good). And while the new movie, also inspired by this small yet grande event, is not my most anticipated comic book movie, it will most certainly be something that all of use should have their eyes on!

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@super_soldierxii: Don't call @wolverine08 a weak troll. Even fire can't put him down. Also, I'm all about 80's Wolverine love. And I'll be damned if we don't sound a bunch like hippies.

arw1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dang. Claremont/Byrne or Claremont/Miller? It's really tough to choose. I mean, they're both good stories and they both have great art. You have the quintessential Wolverine story and one of the coolest time-travel stories. One deconstructed a character while the other showed a pretty bleak and dark future.

(Flips coin)

Well, it looks like I'm going with Days of Future Past. Either way, we all win because they're both great stories.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

1 day left to vote.