This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by k4tzm4n (44235 posts) 5 months, 7 days ago

Poll: Favorite Comic Runs VOTING: Alan Moore's WATCHMEN vs. V FOR VENDETTA (169 votes)

V for Vendetta 25%
Watchmen 71%
Unfortunately, I haven't read either. Shame on me. 7%

Welcome to the Favorite Comic Runs' spotlight, Alan Moore.

Widely regarded as one of the best writers of our time, Moore's long career has produced several stories that are mandatory reading and worthy of multiple visits. This week, we want to focus on two of his most iconic epics: WATCHMEN and V FOR VENDETTA. There have been quite a few difficult choices to make in this segment's history, but this one just may be the toughest. Will you side with Moore's phenomenal commentary on heroes and humanity or his political masterpiece? Will Dave Gibbons or David Lloyd's art help sway your vote? Good luck choosing, Viners.

As always, voting will remain open until Friday morning (ET). That's more than enough time to re-read these two excellent stories and make up your mind. And, in the unfortunate event that you haven't read either, this gives you quite a bit of time to purchase and read both. This is something you truly need to do at some point anyway, so why not now? Additionally, we encourage you to speak your mind after you cast your vote. Why bother, you ask? Because we'll include two exceptional posts in the results article (which is posted on Friday). One will be selected for each story, so don't forget to elaborate after picking WATCHMEN or V FOR VENDETTA.

Last but not least, everyone say "you're so amazing" to the Comic Viner DDangelico. Why should you give this person your blind praise? Well, it's because DDangelico was the very first person to guess this week's match-up based on the small teaser we provided in Friday's article. Bravo, DD!

Check the homepage on Friday to see which story won and why. In the meantime, feel free to make future match-up suggestions in the comments below or via Twitter.

#1 Edited by Fallschirmjager (17562 posts) - - Show Bio

this is tough indeed.

#2 Edited by Saren (25681 posts) - - Show Bio

Watchmen, I think, has more impact because it draws much of its framework from events that we've already lived through and faced the impact of ---- Kitty Genovese's death, the Vietnam War, the Cold War, etc; whereas it's not as easy to get into V for Vendetta's deal owing to it being set in a hypothetical future with hypothetical causes. It lends more urgency to the former. V is also a lot more traditional as far as storytelling goes: good guy fights evil system to liberate the oppressed masses has been done to death. The heroes in Watchmen have more or less all given up on the oppressed masses --- the Comedian believes that humanity is inherently wicked, Rorschach believes humanity is inherently apathetic, and Doctor Manhattan doesn't really care about humanity anymore. The only person who actually believes in humanity and wants to restore its potential to the world is Ozymandias, the villain of the story. V for Vendetta's impact on the conventions of storytelling is fairly minimal in comparison to the impact Watchmen had and continues to have.

@ddangelico you're so amazing

#3 Posted by DDangelico (221 posts) - - Show Bio

This is tough--but on personal preference i think i enjoy V for Vendetta's story more than Watchmen. While Watchmen has the bigger impact with regards to the medium, I think it's V's plot that interested me more.

Also, @k4tzm4n, it is YOU that are amazing sir! :-)

#4 Edited by Djainess (181 posts) - - Show Bio

Ooh, very difficult to choose! I went with V for Vendetta because it was one of the first graphic novels I read and made me fall in love with the medium :).

#5 Posted by micah (1386 posts) - - Show Bio

my god, this ones tough

#6 Edited by judasnixon (6586 posts) - - Show Bio

Alan Moore Hates your poll.........

#7 Posted by bob808 (6775 posts) - - Show Bio

Remember remember the fifth of November.

#8 Posted by kennybaese (1117 posts) - - Show Bio

V for Vendetta for this guy.

The more I think about Watchmen, and the more times I've read it, the less I like it. I really dislike the ending. It is hinted at enough throughout the story that I can't categorize it as unearned, but it is unbelievably goofy given how seriously the rest of the book takes itself. I realize that this is probably an unpopular opinion, but I think that the ending in the Zack Snyder's adaptation is better. It's cleaner and makes more sense within its fictional world. Plus, every time I read an interview with Alan Moore regarding Watchmen, I dislike him, and by extension the book, a little more. He continues to be insistent that Watchmen is the best thing that DC has ever published, and that they won't let him have the rights back because nothing else they have is as good; something I wholeheartedly disagree with. Watchmen has had a huge impact on the superhero genre, but like The Dark Knight Returns, people tend to ignore its imperfections in the interest of only singing its praises.

V for Vendetta, on the other hand, has aged perfectly, and is even more relevant today than it was when it was written. With V for Vendetta, Moore told a good story inspired by real world concerns without the burden of trying to fix or otherwise elevate a genre within the medium he seems to think is beneath him. The character of V is rich and layered, serving as the protagonist and antagonist at different points in the story. While the characters in Watchmen are interesting, they're ultimately rather one note. The only ones that have really changed by the end of the story are Dan and Laurie. Both V and Evey have much more complete and interesting arcs. V goes from simply wanting revenge to actually buying into the political dogma he used to justify his murders in the first half of the book. Evey's entire life is changed by her contact with V, and she goes some being a weak victim of the system to the next person in line to dismantle it. The art has aged better as well, I think. Gibbons art is gorgeous, no doubt, but it still feels distinctly 80's (mostly due to the coloring, I think) whereas Lloyd's art in V for Vendetta looks much more timeless.

Watchmen, at its heart, is ultimately just another superhero book. A very good, meticulously crafted one, but its still a superhero story, complete with a silly twist ending. V for Vendetta on the other hand works as a paranoia fueled political thriller, a superhero story, a revenge tale, a murder mystery, and a modern fable all wrapped up in one while telling a much more concise, grounded, and otherwise satisfying story to read. Because it seems more interested in telling a story rather than subverting a genre, it's better at it, so it gets my vote.

#9 Posted by Zelos797 (642 posts) - - Show Bio

While V for Vendetta is awesome, Watchmen is...well Watchmen. Nuff' Said.

#10 Posted by bflynn316 (685 posts) - - Show Bio

Two of my favorite works of any form of literature. I had to go with Watchmen cuz its fantastic.

#11 Edited by fustacluck (8 posts) - - Show Bio

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Top 10 next, please!

#12 Posted by Jphu8414 (3731 posts) - - Show Bio

I will vote for Watchmen

I find Watchmen's story and premise superior, the characters more interesting and dynamic, the political and social commentary very strong, the strong tone and atmosphere of the setting, and very powerful and noticeable themes. V for Vendetta is amazing but doesn't quite hold up to what many call one of the most influential comics of all time.

#13 Posted by nappystr8 (1108 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel bad voting, because I still haven't gotten a chance to read V for Vendetta, but Watchmen is my favorite comic ever, and as the superhero fan I am, I find it hard to believe that V for Vendetta could possibly take the top spot in my mind. I love Alan Moore and the V for Vendetta film, so I'm sure I'll love it when I get around to it, but there is only one Watchmen.

#14 Posted by zombietag (1494 posts) - - Show Bio

not tough, V for Vendetta is good (although the movie better, and yes i'm okay with saying that), but watchmen is way more of a classic and has so much great stuff packed into one book.

that movie was way worse than the book though.

#15 Posted by raythelion (191 posts) - - Show Bio

WATCH MEN

#16 Posted by reaperOnyx (1157 posts) - - Show Bio

Watchmen was pretty freakin awesome

#17 Edited by reaperOnyx (1157 posts) - - Show Bio

#18 Posted by RustyRoy (12765 posts) - - Show Bio

Watchmen

#19 Posted by dagmar_merrill (8649 posts) - - Show Bio

Watchmen. V for vendetta bored me to tears.

#20 Posted by Mucklefluga (2563 posts) - - Show Bio

Haven't read either D:

#21 Posted by thunder2677 (2 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon:

Both Hysterical and true at the same time.

#22 Posted by Xwraith (18280 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't like Watchmen that much, but I'll vote for it because I haven't read the other one.

#23 Posted by GraniteSoldier (7851 posts) - - Show Bio

Watchmen was better for me. It felt like it had more impact, perhaps because it has basis with real events. V just felt like a stereotypical dystopian political future commentary piece, and seemed like it tried too hard to make itself dark and upsetting with it's future. Watchmen dealt with the issue of drawing a line, and if you have power does that mean you should exercise it for "good" or at least what you believe to be good for all. Watchmen gets my vote.

#24 Posted by lifeofvibe (3489 posts) - - Show Bio

swamp thing no really i just read the whole run its also the only 80s comic that doesn't feel dated i always have a problem reading comics that are dated in other world there both blegh to me

#25 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6912 posts) - - Show Bio

Voted for V.

#26 Posted by Autopsad (86 posts) - - Show Bio

V for Vendetta, on the other hand, has aged perfectly, and is even more relevant today than it was when it was written. With V for Vendetta, Moore told a good story inspired by real world concerns without the burden of trying to fix or otherwise elevate a genre within the medium he seems to think is beneath him. The character of V is rich and layered, serving as the protagonist and antagonist at different points in the story. While the characters in Watchmen are interesting, they're ultimately rather one note. The only ones that have really changed by the end of the story are Dan and Laurie. Both V and Evey have much more complete and interesting arcs. V goes from simply wanting revenge to actually buying into the political dogma he used to justify his murders in the first half of the book. Evey's entire life is changed by her contact with V, and she goes some being a weak victim of the system to the next person in line to dismantle it. The art has aged better as well, I think. Gibbons art is gorgeous, no doubt, but it still feels distinctly 80's (mostly due to the coloring, I think) whereas Lloyd's art in V for Vendetta looks much more timeless.

Watchmen, at its heart, is ultimately just another superhero book. A very good, meticulously crafted one, but its still a superhero story, complete with a silly twist ending. V for Vendetta on the other hand works as a paranoia fueled political thriller, a superhero story, a revenge tale, a murder mystery, and a modern fable all wrapped up in one while telling a much more concise, grounded, and otherwise satisfying story to read. Because it seems more interested in telling a story rather than subverting a genre, it's better at it, so it gets my vote.

I would not say it better !

#27 Posted by Krypton-115 (386 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Watchmen, even though I love V for Vendetta, but I like Watchmen better because it's a dark, twisted murder mystery with a political thriller feel, and a supernatural twist all wrapped up in a conspiracy that involves the greatest detective in comics since Batman.

#28 Posted by acaciopereiraoliveira (13 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Posted by staypuffed (144 posts) - - Show Bio

This may be an unpopular thought, but I'd love to see a modern artist re-draw Watchmen. That would be really cool (no idea who could do that, though).

#30 Posted by Bierschneeman (3982 posts) - - Show Bio

Watchmen... except the ending...

a giant psychic alien dieing with a huge psychic backlash???

dumb

whats worse is having it bring peace all over the world

#31 Edited by ComicStooge (12858 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually haven't read either.

Oops.

#32 Posted by MonsterStomp (18062 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20254 posts) - - Show Bio

This may be an unpopular thought, but I'd love to see a modern artist re-draw Watchmen. That would be really cool (no idea who could do that, though).

Well the BEFORE WATCHMEN series might be what you're looking for (unless you specifically mean the original WATCHMEN graphic novel redrawn).

#34 Posted by Wolverine08 (42372 posts) - - Show Bio

Haven't read either.

#35 Edited by Jphu8414 (3731 posts) - - Show Bio
#36 Edited by Wolverine08 (42372 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Edited by LyraFay (2527 posts) - - Show Bio

Haven't read either but I would vote for Watchmen just because it appealed to me more (pun intended)

#38 Posted by Jonez120 (4402 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Posted by staypuffed (144 posts) - - Show Bio

@yourneighborhoodcomicgeek: I meant actually redraw the original graphic novel. I never read Before Watchmen. I heard some were good and some were bad, and I just couldn't be bothered (at the time).

#40 Posted by ShenKuei (1584 posts) - - Show Bio

They're both extremely good. So hard to pick.

I guess if I had to I would go with Watchmen though. By a slim margin. It had a little more of an impact one me. And I think it's a little better written.

#41 Posted by detective38 (180 posts) - - Show Bio

Watchmen hands down. V was all right but the whole machevellian thing isnt my cup of tea and Rorshaque is one of my favorite characters.

#42 Posted by Autopsad (86 posts) - - Show Bio

Rorshaque is one of my favorite characters.

I guessed you would spell it right...

#43 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33466 posts) - - Show Bio

V was better

#44 Edited by drunkenpunk (44 posts) - - Show Bio

V for Vendetta.

#45 Posted by CuddleBear (1242 posts) - - Show Bio

i think the superhero bias is why watchmen is running away with this... also the fact that watchmen was a much better movie than v for vendetta... stupid natalie portman ruining everything... "REAL BUTTER!"

#46 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (33466 posts) - - Show Bio

i think the superhero bias is why watchmen is running away with this... also the fact that watchmen was a much better movie than v for vendetta... stupid natalie portman ruining everything... "REAL BUTTER!"