Favorite Comic Runs RESULTS: Geoff Johns' FLASHPOINT vs. SINESTRO CORPS WAR

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Geoff Johns, the Chief Creative Officer of DC Entertainment, has played a big part in molding the publisher's universe and many of its big characters. This week, we placed two of his massive events in the Favorite Comics Spotlight and, as always, a winner has been determined by the community. One option was FLASHPOINT, the big event that painted a picture of a horrific future and its developments changed the entire DC universe. The other option was SINESTRO CORPS WAR, the cosmic battle which raged across the universe as Thaal Sinestro took action against the Guardians. The Comic Vine crowd had all week to vote, and in the end, Flash's story just wasn't able to catch-up with SCW on the poll. The Green Lantern-focused epic is taking the victory with an impressive 66% of the votes.

No Caption Provided

Sinestro's war earned a hefty majority, but FLASHPOINT was still able to receive 28% of the votes. 7% confessed they haven't read either of these stories. While the alternate timeline story featuring Flash sought out to craft interesting new takes on characters, SINESTRO CORPS WAR was a staggeringly enjoyable blockbuster. Not only did it incorporate a tremendous cast of characters (aside from the obvious Green Ring and Yellow Ring slingers, there's the Anti-Monitor, Superboy Prime, Hank Henshaw, and more) but it played out in a way that kept a tight grip on your focus with every single issue and absolutely refused to let go. It spread across the universe, had ramifications, and was legitimately stellar as it delivered strong developments and some of the best fights you'll ever read (personal favorite is the grudge between Kilowog and Arkillo). While FLASHPOINT most certainly had its moments and is responsible for bringing one of the biggest changes to the DC universe (a change which has many of us divided, to say the least), it's beyond easy to understand why so many love and continue to re-read SINESTRO CORPS WAR. And if you're part of the 7% that hasn't read it, hopefully this has finally given you the motivation to check it out!

Viner Post of the Week for Sinestro Corps War is by sinestro_GL

"As a big Geoff Johns fan, myself, this contest only has one winner. Though Flashpoint was a mega-significant event that brought about the new 52, Sinestro Corps War wins this one as it is not only considered the pick of Johns' Green Lantern run, but ranks very, very highly in his larger body of work.

In all fairness, both stories contain examples of some of Johns' best writing, and I'm happy to have been able to experience both these arcs. Some particular highlights of Flashpoint include the nightmarish alternate reality, but what stuck with me most was how Johns wrote Barry - evoking many tear-filled moments - especially with the 'twist' ending, and the reason why Flashpoint happened in the first place. Additionally, who can forget Thomas Wayne, and what a great character he turned out to be? Those final scenes with a teary-eyed Bruce certainly will live long in the memories of comic fans.

However, as great as Flashpoint was, it didn't come without its controversy. The Sinestro Corps War, in comparison, was really an explosive arc - and that's a major understatement. Already from the first issue, we were left gasping for air following the formation of a Sinestro Corps, the return of the Anti-Monitor and the capture of Kyle. The chilling role played by Superboy-Prime was especially haunting, and how about the fate of Hank Henshaw? Overall, Sinestro Corps War just had so much going and was really fantastic right down to that incredible last issue."

Sinestro leads the way, and Flash has fallen. Seems to represent the poll's results well, no?
Sinestro leads the way, and Flash has fallen. Seems to represent the poll's results well, no?

Viner Post of the Week for Flashpoint is by The_Tree

"Flashpoint. It was a fun event in a wicked alternate universe, with cool new characters and interesting twists on old ones. I also really enjoyed the emotional mother-son, father-son moments between Barry and his mom and Bruce and his dad. Andy Kubert's art was monstrously good as well."

Last but most definitely not least, we've included a teaser for next week's match-up! It's just a small sample of the image that'll be used in Monday's new Favorite Comic Runs. Be the first Viner to get both covers correct and we'll be sure to give you some praise in Monday's article! Alright, ready? Go get your guesses on!

No Caption Provided

Be sure to check the homepage on Monday for a new Favorite Comic Runs! If you want to make suggestions for future matches, feel free to tell us below or reach out via Twitter. Have a good weekend, everyone!

Darkseid_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By Darkseid_Prime

damn right!

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

No arguments here, Flashpoint was nice and all but Sinestro Corp War was legendary

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I enjoyed them both. I voted for Sinestro Corps war because it was BAD A$$!!

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That right one is DoFP but I can't find the right one! Seems like its Daredevil, probably by Frank Miller but I just can't find a matching picture

Flying_J87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No contest. Sinestro Corps War was a great blockbuster. Flashpoint was meh, and undermined by Barry "saviour of the universe" Allen's selfishness and stupidity being the result of a lackluster company-wide reboot. To see how you do a proper farewell to a universe's worth of continuity, see Crisis on Infinite Earth's.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Billy Batson

Wolverine mini by Claremont and Miller on the left and X-Men: Days of Future Past by Claremont and Byrne on the right.

BB

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

No contest. Sinestro Corps War was a great blockbuster. Flashpoint was meh, and undermined by Barry "saviour of the universe" Allen's selfishness and stupidity being the result of a lackluster company-wide reboot. To see how you do a proper farewell to a universe's worth of continuity, see Crisis on Infinite Earth's.

Actually Flash did that because the Rogues poisoned his mind in "the dastardly death of the Rogues"

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Wolverine mini by Claremont and Miller on the left and X-Men: Days of Future Past by Claremont and Byrne on the right.

BB

no animated GIF

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

Oh yeah, a post of the week!

The_Soverighn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By The_Soverighn

john is the G.O.A.T

ptigrusmagus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ptigrusmagus

My dick is so hard foe Geoff Johns

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Justice is served.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

Hooray!

My argument was featured :)

Thanks @k4tzm4n!

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

@k4tzm4n said:

@billy_batson said:

BB

It's definitely Wolverine #1 and Logan's left hand's thumb on the left but I have no idea about the right one???

Avatar image for the_average_bear
The Average Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By The Average Bear

Hell yeah. SCW is what kickstarted my love of comics

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By longbowhunter

I knew Sinestro had this locked down.

I can't tell what Frank Miller's Daredevil is going up against, but I'm sure it's got my vote.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 k4tzm4n  Moderator
longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: Not sure but it resembles one of these volumes.

No Caption Provided

CombatSpoon86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#24  Edited By CombatSpoon86

No contest. Sinestro corps. John's in his prime (SCW) prevails over DC Coporate John's Meh Flash Point

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gabranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too many quality characters and fights

Sinestro Corps and The Cyborg Superman alliance

No Caption Provided

Sinestro vs Mongul

No Caption Provided

Most people "hell yeah" fight Kilowog vs Arkillo

No Caption Provided

The Anti-Monitor

No Caption Provided

Permission to kill granted

No Caption Provided

Superboy Prime

No Caption Provided

Vicious and Bloddy battle between Superboy-Prime vs Sodam Yat

No Caption Provided

Damn it! I have to go and reread this...again

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cheesesticks: This will be the one instance where I haven't read both opposing titles. Never read Days of Future Past.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cheesesticks: This will be the one instance where I haven't read both opposing titles. Never read Days of Future Past.

It's pretty good! If you like the X-Men it's a must read.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By longbowhunter

@cheesesticks: Yeah I need to get around to reading Claremont and Byrne's X-Men stuff. I'm up to speed on most things current and classic, but there's a definite gap there.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By primebonnick

Well this was expected what did you expect with a story line with anti monitor, prime and the spectrum corps at war. Nothing against Flashpoint as the op said thomas wayne was awesome and martha wayne damn she became one of my fave versions of the joker. Still despite that how can anything beat that Prime vs Sodom Yat (ion) fight.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really enjoyed FLASHPOINT, but Sinestro Corp War ftw tho

AustinCY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AustinCY

Yeah, I really enjoyed Flashpoint and it was definitely a significant event in the DC universe. Since Sinestro Corps War won this battle, I'm surely going to check that out right now!