#1 Posted by Floopay (8721 posts) - - Show Bio

I've always been curious as to what draws people towards certain characters. I've already made a thread for people to discuss the reasons they dislike certain characters and for what reasons (http://www.comicvine.com/forums/gen-discussion/1/secret-disgust/709959/), but I think it's only fair for a thread of the opposite type to exist.

But this is more than that. I'm interested in what qualities draw someone towards a character. There are qualities that make heroes and villains appealing, reasons you love them, love to hate them, enjoy reading them, look forward to reading their issues, playing their games, watching movies/shows with them.

Obviously I'm interested in comic book characters, but feel free to chime in with any character.

Example character types:

• Dark
  • Anti-Hero
  • Brute
  • Brain
  • Clever
  • Funny
  • Brooding
  • Sadistic
  • Boy Scout
  • Cosmic Being
  • Teambuster
  • Evil Incarnate

and there are so many others.

So feel free to post what draws you to a character, or the qualities you like most about a specific character.

Please don't harass anyone for their reasonings, we all read certain characters for certain reasons.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

#2 Posted by AustinHasten (218 posts) - - Show Bio

Well in certain cases, such as with Joker, I enjoy what the character is within the context of another character. Without Batman, Joker isn't so interesting. So lots of things go into my favoritism besides type.

But there are a few types that most of the heroes I enjoy seem to have in common. The main one of them being what I guess you'd call the "Lone Wolf" type. This is what I love about Batman, V, Talon, Jonah Hex (even if he's got Arkham palling around, he'd prefer solitude), and characters like that. For whatever reason, I like it best when no one truly understands the hero, other than themselves. I guess it keeps you guessing, and that's nice.

Also, I don't know what type you'd characterize it as, but I really enjoy when the character adheres to a strict moral code. Of course all heroes have great morals, that's why they're heroes, but some take it a step further, such as Superman or Batman. Even characters such as V or Jonah, whose moral code may not be as "good" as others, it is very strict.

In a villain, really all I ask for is unpredictability. Once again, keep me guessing. If I know what the bad guy is going to do, why even read?

#3 Posted by AustinHasten (218 posts) - - Show Bio

@AustinHasten said:

Well in certain cases, such as with Joker, I enjoy what the character is within the context of another character. Without Batman, Joker isn't so interesting. So lots of things go into my favoritism besides type.

But there are a few types that most of the heroes I enjoy seem to have in common. The main one of them being what I guess you'd call the "Lone Wolf" type. This is what I love about Batman, V, Talon, Jonah Hex (even if he's got Arkham palling around, he'd prefer solitude), and characters like that. For whatever reason, I like it best when no one truly understands the hero, other than themselves. I guess it keeps you guessing, and that's nice.

Also, I don't know what type you'd characterize it as, but I really enjoy when the character adheres to a strict moral code. Of course all heroes have great morals, that's why they're heroes, but some take it a step further, such as Superman or Batman. Even characters such as V or Jonah, whose moral code may not be as "good" as others, it is very strict.

In a villain, really all I ask for is unpredictability. Once again, keep me guessing. If I know what the bad guy is going to do, why even read?

Maybe not Talon, actually, he's starting to partner up with his girlfriend's buddies or whatever.

#4 Posted by jonEsherfey (443 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it depends and you need variety. For villains I would like sadistic crazy unpredictable people that make the hero think. But for heroes I think that what makes modern comics so great is the variety of everything. Deadpool is great because of how clever and funny he is. Punisher is the greatest anti-hero. But there is Batman who is smart and very dark. Most of them are great.

#5 Posted by Inverno (13217 posts) - - Show Bio

As I said before I prefer villains to be evil incarnate, in a sense they aren't much of a person but a force of nature. Their goals can range from complete domination or chaos but I like when they are so fun to hate.

As for heroes, I like when they are clever, not exactly having a scientific mind or anything as such, but when they use their wits and common sense to solve problems instead of brute force.

#6 Posted by PowerHerc (83461 posts) - - Show Bio

The impossibly strong, mostly noble but always heroic hero.

#7 Posted by FiMFTW (687 posts) - - Show Bio

Funny.

Deadpool, Spider-Man, Plastic Man etc. etc.

#8 Posted by The_Tree (7447 posts) - - Show Bio

The Everyman, the Byronic hero, the swashbuckler.

#9 Posted by sandiego008 (3283 posts) - - Show Bio

After thinking about this for a minute, I would say there are a few traits that I tend to enjoy in a hero.

1. Confidence/cockyness -- They don't have to be cocky, but these seem to fall hand in hand. Not many people enjoy the characters that always have to be saved by someone else.

2. Real life problems. Think old school spiderman. Had to deal with college, money, girl and play spiderman ... forget to make webbing or not have enough money to make webbing? Spidey would have to change fighting tactics due to no webs.

3. Clever.

4. Mid-upper street levelers. The range in which someone on this level can fight is large. You get the small fries and helping out with the big fries. Think spiderman vs juggernaut.

5. I actually would like to see a hero be made that has some weird traits/habits that no one knows about, and the writer never tells why he is doing it but hints there is a reason. Maybe collecting womens hair, or blood from opponents or stealing costume pieces from other heroes/villians. Imagine Mr. fantastic or Joker doing something like this for a year ... would leave a lot of people thinking WTF.

Basically someone like spiderman who fights street levelers but can fight higher classes due to power set, would like some #5 action in there, and a good bit of confidence. I also prefer light projectile fighting vs heavy melee fighting.

6. Last but not least I enjoy fighters like snowbird who can summon/morph to different beasts based on the scenario she is in. This would lead to interesting story telling ... think ben10 I guess.

#10 Posted by StrangeMan (411 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a thing for funny, charismatic characters, the fact that they live in such dark worlds (most of the times) and yet they handle things with humor is something that i love, but they still can be serious if it's needed, characters like Wally West, Plastic Man, Peter Parker, The Creeper, etc...

Also i love "old" superheroes, the JSA is my favorite superheroe group and characters like Jay Garrick, Ted Grant and Alan Scott rank among my favorite characters ever.

#11 Posted by Z3RO180 (6533 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

pretty much this

#12 Posted by PowerHerc (83461 posts) - - Show Bio

@Z3RO180 said:

@PowerHerc said:

pretty much this

Do those traits describe any superhero you can think of? ;)

#13 Posted by Z3RO180 (6533 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc: Of couse the big three. Herc, Thor and Supes :)

#14 Posted by PowerHerc (83461 posts) - - Show Bio

@Z3RO180 said:

@PowerHerc: Of couse the big three. Herc, Thor and Supes :)

Aye, the big three indeed!

Verily!

#15 Posted by .Ajax. (2486 posts) - - Show Bio

I love ferals like Sabretooth. However, even better is a feral who is intelligent and uses that intelligence such as Beast and Kraven the hunter. I also like brutes, I have no idea why...just find them entertaining.

#16 Edited by Floopay (8721 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess I'll throw some of my favorites:

Heroes

• Clever - I like clever heroes. I want the hero to think outside the box to achieve his goals when overwhelmed. This is why I don't care for Hulk. Beta Ray Bill, Quasar, Thor (at times), Beast, the Doctor, etc. are examples of whom I enjoy.
  • Anti-Hero - These are great types of characters. Someone who is only a hero because they happen to be killing bad guys, not because they are a good person by any means. Wolverine had an Anti-Hero sort of era, Alucard from Hellsing, the Man with No Name, John Constantine, etc.
  • Lighthearted - Characters who don't get hung up on anything. No matter what happens, they are always in a good mood, or work past it. Hercules I loved for this (one of my favorite Brutes of all time to read actually), Deadpool, the Creeper, Quasar, etc.
  • The Determined - Not necessarily emo, but a character who despite everything that has happened to them, and every bit of crap that gets thrown in their direction, they keep pushing forward. Cloud Strife was a bit emo, but I loved him for this, same with Vincent Valentine. Jack Ryder, Punisher, etc.

Villains

• Powerful - The villain should have some sort of advantage, it's what makes them a worthy foe. Surtur, Galactus, Juggernaut (Cain Marko), etc.
  • Brutal - The villain should be unforgiving, deadly, and without remorse. Sebastian Shaw, the Joker, Carnage, Venom, etc.
  • Mastermind - To me, the villain who stays ahead is the best villain. Sebastian Shaw, Joker, Bane, MODOK, Magneto, Apocalypse, etc.
  • Confident - A villain should be devout in his cause, and unwavering. He shouldn't doubt himself. Sephiroth, Sabertooth, the Master, Omega, Darkseid, etc.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

#17 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really have a specific character type I look for. My three favourite characters at the moment are Hulk, Spider-Man and Superman, all three of whom are very different.

#18 Posted by Captain_Yesterday (807 posts) - - Show Bio

@Floopay said:

I guess I'll throw some of my favorites:

Heroes

• Clever - I like clever heroes. I want the hero to think outside the box to achieve his goals when overwhelmed. This is why I don't care for Hulk. Beta Ray Bill, Quasar, Thor (at times), Beast, etc.
  • Anti-Hero - These are great types of characters. Someone who is only a hero because they happen to be killing bad guys, not because they are a good person by any means. Wolverine had an Anti-Hero sort of era, Alucard from Hellsing, the Man with No Name, John Constantine, etc.
  • Lighthearted - Characters who don't get hung up on anything. No matter what happens, they are always in a good mood, or work past it. Hercules I loved for this (one of my favorite Brutes of all time to read actually), Deadpool, the Creeper, Quasar, etc.
  • The Determined - Not necessarily emo, but a character who despite everything that has happened to them, and every bit of crap that gets thrown in their direction, they keep pushing forward. Cloud Strife was a bit emo, but I loved him for this, same with Vincent Valentine. Jack Ryder, Punisher, etc.

Villains

• Powerful - The villain should have some sort of advantage, it's what makes them a worthy foe. Surtur, Galactus, Juggernaut (Cain Marko), etc.
  • Brutal - The villain should be unforgiving, deadly, and without remorse. Sebastian Shaw, the Joker, Carnage, Venom, etc.
  • Mastermind - To me, the villain who stays ahead is the best villain. Sebastian Shaw, Joker, Bane, MODOK, Magneto, Apocalypse, etc.
  • Confident - A villain should be devout in his cause, and unwavering. He shouldn't doubt himself. Sephiroth, Sabertooth, the Master, Omega, Darkseid, etc.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

I was gonna reply and noticed you said pretty much everything I would have, but better. So i'm just gonna mooch off yours and say 'this'

#19 Edited by blackwolf0925 (147 posts) - - Show Bio

For a hero has to be determined but also flawed.The one hero that comes to mind that I have enjoyed immensely is Naruto. Despite the hardships he has faced his a still a good person, but he also has his moments of weakness. Call it what you will but he is the one that really got me to take anime and manga seriously as a collector. I also like the fact that he acknowledges that he could have became the villain if he let himself go.

#20 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't really say, but to be honest, it's be no surprise to anyone that i go for mostly the "brick Category" as a favorite. But my top 3 are completely different characters in comparison to one another. While i Personally Like guys like the Hulk, thing and Hercules, i've always had s soft spot for the comedic guys like spiderman as well.

i don't have a specific attraction towards any kind of character, though if i say truthfully i'd most of time would like a character who is very strong, Funny, Crazy or Tragic/sympathetic. In fact these are the exact types of characters of my top 4. Also i side note that i always like a chracter with which every writer can do something different with, it provides a key element for good stories and arcs.

Maybe be this will shed some light:

HULK - The Strongest there is, the raging man-monster with the heart of a hero. One of the most unique characters ever. Over the years I've seen a lot of people claim to be a hulk fan, mostly because he is one of the most powerful beings Ever. However Thous people, to me ,are no hulk fans. Sure, i love hulk because he is the strongest there is, but what most people don't understand is that strength!! is not hulks defining quality. why ? because A character is not defined by his powers, people don't love spider-man because he shoots webs or sticks to walls, people love spider-man because of Peter Parker, a nerdy , witty, responsible hero. The same thing can be said for the hulk, because without Bruce Banner hulk is nothing. Bruce makes hulks anger unique, and hulks anger makes Bruce a sympathetic character. Hulk has many interesting qualities, and his multiple incarnations is one of them, you see characters like the hulk are very interesting because you can't get bored with a character that is full of riddles, writers like taking on the hulk because they can execute their own views of the character. Savage hulk, world war hulk, Joe fixit, and many other hulk versions have their own power sets , personality , and appearance, which makes hulk all the more interesting. Moreover, The Hulk is interesting character because he has a unique relationship with Bruce banner, we've seen them as both enemies and as allays, but at the end of the day, no matter how they look at each other, they hate each others guts. This is a great dynamic because even though hulk fights insanely powerful guys, his most interesting clash takes place within him. Furthermore, no matter how people look at it, The hulk and Bruce are both heroes, this makes hulk intriguing because he is always misunderstood and viewed upon as a monster , yet, he still finds a way to do the right thing. The Hulk teaches people a great thing, it shows you that everyone has a monster within them, but Bruce banner manages to redirect that monster and turn him into a hero, because hulk is Bruce, he is simply a different aspect. The Hulk is also one of the most iconic marvel characters ever created, he is easily recognized by many people including both adults and children. The hulk/Bruce banner is my number one super hero, he always was an always will be. "Then why do you suddenly look scared? Maybe you see that you could be ten times stronger than Hulk, and it still would not matter. Not when all Hulk has to do is become ten times as mad!!" -Hulk/Bruce Banner

X-23- i started to love x-23 from her very first appearance in the x-men evolution cartoon. she was a very complex character that whent through a lot of torture, but still managed to find the right path. x-23 went trough a lot of character development, at the beginning she was kind of worse than a robot, she was incapable of showing emotion, however, with the help of others , she has evolved, and is still evolving. She has made new friends, and has become a better person, and she has achieved this only because she really wants to better herself. as of now, she is playing and important role in the avengers academy,and i am really enjoying seeing her with some friends. I love characters like x-23, because you sympathetic with them, and when they finally find some happiness, it brings joy to you

Spider-Man- In the marvel universe, there a re a lot of powerful characters, but even so, none are the equal of spider-man. I love the Hulk, but he is sometimes overshadowed by the awesomeness of spider-man. Peter Parker is one of Marvels greatest heroes. The words " with great Power comes great responsibility" had a great impact on me, because it's completely true. These words are the core to who spider-man is, his whole carrier revolves around on uncle ben's lesson. Peter Parker teaches us that no matter what the cost, you must always try to make the right decision, he shows us what a real hero is, He demonstrates the principles of a brave and noble warrior. Besides spider-mans bravery and Responsibility, there is one more thing that is very likable about his character, his sense of humor, he always managed to make me laugh no matter what the situation. Moreover, spider-man, even though he is cheerful, is a very tortured soul, his girlfriend died in his hands by one of his greatest enemies,and he blames himself for the death of Gwen stacy and his father figure uncle ben. And last but not least, Spider-man is loved by almost everyone in the world because he is just a likable and lovable character. Nerdy, Witty, and Brave, spider-man will always be one of my favorites.

Hercules - You know? sometimes i am sad that the prince of power is so unappreciated. Considering how awesome he is. herc has seriously grown on me to the point where i seriously adore him. Cheerful, Powerful, honorable, and quite the ladies man! herc deserves tons of respect!

These are basically the types of characters i mostly go for. and if you actually read all that then bravo to you.

#21 Posted by SavageDragon (2252 posts) - - Show Bio

Anti hero, dark, Super strength, Loner, Swashbuckler and funny guy.

#22 Posted by Teerack (6226 posts) - - Show Bio

Clever and Funny.

#23 Posted by DMXN (93 posts) - - Show Bio

Funny,Clever, Brain

#24 Edited by NeonGameWave (7779 posts) - - Show Bio

Dark - These types of characters are really interesting in regards to the elements of one`s self such as dark heroes like Batman and what makes them stand out in regards to handling crime, dark characters are very sophisticated.

Anti-Hero - They separate themselves from society, make their own rules and still save the day in their own way

Tragic-Hero - Through relatability is a character such as this very much enduring and endearing as they paint the picture of understanding in which their flaws are shown at the forefront.

Justified Villains - These types of villains are shown as being very complicated and understandable, also they have different goals which sometimes are very heroic within a specific mindset.

There are many more types of characters that I like such as Evil Incarnate, Brain and Funny.