Fate of the Star Wars Expended Universe when the Sequel Trilogy launches

Heinrich7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Fate of the Star Wars Expended Universe when the Sequel Trilogy launches (19 votes)

The EU will stay the same. Abrams will do as much research as possible and fit everything in line perfectly 0%
The EU will be partially changed, Primarily the New Republic and Legacy Eras, but a majority can still be there. 16%
The EU will be partially refitted on a whole, but the ABY periods will probably be scapped/uncanonized by a signifigant margin, but the Old Republic Eras will remain uneffected 21%
The EU will probably end up the same way as the Star Trek Spin Off Universe, declared non canon. 58%
Everyone involved in the new film trilogy will find a clever way to dodge the current EU issues while pertaining to their original story. Keeping on the necessities(Such as names, Chewie alive etc...) 5%

As a huge Star Wars fan I'm excited for the new films, but I want to know what You all think the fate of the EU will be. Feel free to give Your opinions :)

• 
deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, once he contradicts even one thing (say the Solos dont have three kids) that immediately annihilates the post ROTJ continuity. Also, things like Dark Empire are almost surely gone with these new films.

And overall, im glad, the post-ROTJ continuity was stupid. I hope they dont bring Boba Fett back, that was always a joke.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By deaditegonzo

@mitran said:

They'll probably hang on for a bit to try and appease the tiny fanbase, saying that the majority stuff is still canon, but more and more things will be contradicted until the entire post-RotJ EU might as well have just gone down the toilet to begin with.

I think youre definitely correct, in that they will try to ease into it. However, I get the feeling their wont be 3 Solo children, and imagine how much Post-RotJ stuff is just immediately destroyed if that happens?

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

What I want: Options 1 or 2

What will probably happen: Option 4 :(

Heinrich7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Heinrich7

@deaditegonzo: Yeah, I think it got a little carried away with Him cheating death. Love Boba though <3

Though I do love Dark Empire, but I know some friends that couldn't accept Palpatine being reborn. So I guess it's not just Lucas that's against it.

The EU has tons of classic tales though. That is really the heart of where Star Wars is...

Heinrich7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Heinrich7
@jphu8414 said:

What I want: Options 1 or 2

What will probably happen: Option 4 :(

Yeah, it is a possible scenario, the Star Trek EU and even ToS had a lot of things declared non canon because of TNG, and those ran for years until 87'. Anything that TNG said was how it goes. Then Gene came out and said all the books and novels aren't apart of anything anymore.

The EU got rolling big in the 90s. So it's at about the same time gap, and we know Lucas doesn't "Care" for the EU. Though I'm not sure what say He has now that he's a "Creative Consultant"<(Nothing)

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

They've already said only the movies and KOTR are cannon...

Heinrich7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Heinrich7

@savagedragon:

Actually You have a point: http://io9.com/disney-appoints-a-group-to-determine-a-new-official-st-1497893812

So experts will go through it, I think option 3 or 4 is going to happen in this case. The New Republic and Legacy Eras are going to take a large blow. But the pre bby stuff seems it's in the safe zone. But I do not remember the statement that only the movies and KOTOR itself are canon.

The biggest issue is Disney having to pay royalties to all the creators of certain characters to use them. That's one of the main reasons I think they are changing it.

DoctorXander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Honestly, the expanded universe actually SHOULD be redone. I'm a huge Star Wars fan, but the post EP-6 continuity has just gotten stupid. I currently don't accept anything past 25 ABY as canon, killing Chewie was one of the worst decisions ever made. It's likely the films will just tell a new story and the nerds will have to sort through the wreckage and work out what's been destroyed. We've been practicing for years with The Clone Wars. Good thing is KOTOR era will likely be unaffected.

Heinrich7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Heinrich7

@doctorxander: I'm riding on Disney for TOR though haha <3

Think Starkiller recently got the axe too.

Heinrich7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some fresh news in guys. The first movie will be set in 33 ABY.

http://m.washingtonpost.com/national/new-star-wars-set-30-years-after-jedi/2014/03/19/9f8c8152-af2a-11e3-b8b3-44b1d1cd4c1f_story.html

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Heinrich7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman: Awesome. I'll give it a read. Passing around more Star Wars news one fan to the next is good news to me :)

Whirlwind_33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DoctorXander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whirlwind_33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Whirlwind_33
Heinrich7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Heinrich7
Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The only thing that's definitely getting overwritten is the Legacy era. And there's only one story in that era I've read that I'm going to miss.

Psychogeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bring back Boba and I'll be happy.

Heinrich7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@psychogeist: I was thinking they could flesh out the other Bounty Hunters a little more. I'm not against Boba coming back entirely but I'l like to see what they do with it.

Psychogeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heinrich7: Eh, maybe Bossk, I liked Bossk. But Boba has become part of the cultural consciousness. Like Ewoks.

DoctorXander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doctorxander: I'll tell it to Boba Fett's alive body.

I have no problems with Boba Fett living, his death was too weak in the films and the short story it happened in was awesome, but at the moment I don't see anything past Chewbacca's death as canon. Anyways, I'd like to know why you think the KOTOR era is lame.

DoctorXander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DoctorXander

@psychogeist: I was thinking they could flesh out the other Bounty Hunters a little more. I'm not against Boba coming back entirely but I'l like to see what they do with it.

If you want the Bounty Hunters fleshed out, have you read the book Tales of the Bounty Hunters. Highly recommended (except the Bossk story, which is really lame but the rest are very good.)

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why does anyone like Boba Fett? Because he had a cool mask? He was a tool wielded by Darth Vader, and he got killed like the punk he is.

KotOR = Life :D

Whirlwind_33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doctorxander: Because the story line is overrated. Characters like Darth Revan, Vitiated Nihilus, and Exar Kun. Malgus are compared to often to Rise of the Empire and Rebellion Characters in power. People think these guys are equal to or more powerful than Grandmaster Luke, Yoda, Vader and Sidious, which completely FALSE, but people who are mis-informed believe that bunk to be true. They deny the canon and abilities/power of the latter and then wank the abilities and powers of the former. Saying stuff like Old Republic/Era Sith/Jedi>>New Republic/Era Sith/Jedi. That right there irritates me and turns me into disliking KOTOR timeline right there.

I only like a few characters like Darth Bane and Statele Shan because these characters stories touch on and explains the Rise of the Jedi Order and The Sith(Rule 2). Other than that... meh. The Old Republic IMO strays to far from the Original Trilogy/Prequel timeline and its own story/timeline is beyond convoluted. How the heck can you follow thousands and thousands and thousands of years back? The only reason most enjoy it is because they played the games ( I never have). Then the average amount of so-called "Star Wars" fans know little past that and the Movies. They never read any novels, comic books or other sources of anything else Star Wars. So they say stuff like Revan is the most powerful Jedi ever. Where in hell do they get that from? KOTOR is the answer.

It influences to much misinformation and fanboyism, but overall I think it's okay. This is just my opinion.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

everything you know will cease

Heinrich7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Heinrich7

@whirlwind_33 said:

@doctorxander: Because the story line is overrated. Characters like Darth Revan, Vitiated Nihilus, and Exar Kun. Malgus are compared to often to Rise of the Empire and Rebellion Characters in power. People think these guys are equal to or more powerful than Grandmaster Luke, Yoda, Vader and Sidious, which completely FALSE, but people who are mis-informed believe that bunk to be true. They deny the canon and abilities/power of the latter and then wank the abilities and powers of the former. Saying stuff like Old Republic/Era Sith/Jedi>>New Republic/Era Sith/Jedi. That right there irritates me and turns me into disliking KOTOR timeline right there.

I only like a few characters like Darth Bane and Statele Shan because these characters stories touch on and explains the Rise of the Jedi Order and The Sith(Rule 2). Other than that... meh. The Old Republic IMO strays to far from the Original Trilogy/Prequel timeline and its own story/timeline is beyond convoluted. How the heck can you follow thousands and thousands and thousands of years back? The only reason most enjoy it is because they played the games ( I never have). Then the average amount of so-called "Star Wars" fans know little past that and the Movies. They never read any novels, comic books or other sources of anything else Star Wars. So they say stuff like Revan is the most powerful Jedi ever. Where in hell do they get that from? KOTOR is the answer.

It influences to much misinformation and fanboyism, but overall I think it's okay. This is just my opinion.

One thing I dislike about all Old Republic Eras is that it defined the star wars galaxy as ignoring exponential growth in technology(Like we have in real life with our tech multiplying every 10 months), Heck it didn't even follow linear growth. The Rise of the Empire and new Republic eras are little if at all more advanced after 4 thousand years. I know it's science fantasy, but you'd think they wouldn't use a hyperdrive for 25 thousand years without inventing a new method of travel. Even in TOR they mentioned Super Weapons that could devastate planets, making the Death Star a nhill improvement.

However if You look at the Rebellion Era You see new Tech coming out all the time, I think Wedge said if the Tie interceptors got more advanced and used they may never have beaten the Empire. Whereas the OR ignores thousands of years in the middle.

If this where the Stargate universe they'd probably be omnipresent omnipotent beings by now. But hey maybe that's just my nitpick xD

I guess most fans agree the Star Wars Universe has it's Tech Capped, but then again improvements have been mentioned all the time in the books and video games. Something beyond B2 Battle droids should have been out long before the creation of even the B1 Battle Droids. Don't get me started on the unknown regions either, those should have been charted 20 thousand years ago. xD

I honestly don't think 90s EU writers considered the Old Republic Era.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By deaditegonzo

@whirlwind_33: Good news my friend: none of the New Republic era stuff will be canon anymore, so you wont have to worry about it. :D

Whirlwind_33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo: "Will be" is future tense, but as of NOW it is canon. Deal with it Kid. KOTOR still sucks btw.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By deaditegonzo

@deaditegonzo: "Will be" is future tense, but as of NOW it is canon. Deal with it Kid. KOTOR still sucks btw.

Cool, I will keep that in mind on opening night at Ep7, as I say farewell to all the fanfic that was written in the post-RotJ era. Its called the last laugh, and it is sweet.

Whirlwind_33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo: And when Luke is Grandmaster in Episode 7 showing the same amount of power that he did in the EU and after Marvels creates comics(since they have taken over the Star Wars comics) based on such continuing the greatness that you call fanfic. I will be jumping up and down in my bed laughing at you. HAHAHAHA nice try little kid.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo: And when Luke is Grandmaster in Episode 7 showing the same amount of power that he did in the EU and after Marvels creates comics(since they have taken over the Star Wars comics) based on such continuing the greatness that you call fanfic. I will be jumping up and down in my bed laughing at you. HAHAHAHA nice try little kid.

Have fun, I guess?

Whirlwind_33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heinrich7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Heinrich7

Honestly I think the old gang's roles will be minor. Will they get a last huzza? Of course. Luke will waste a bunch of bad guys like nothing. Han will Pilot the Falcon one last time and save the day. And Leia? Hmmm well hopefully she loses weight but I can see her as a mentor/mission assigner/briefer to the new cast.

I think R2 and 3PO will have the bigger part tbh.