#1 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm curious about the term 'Fanboy.'  I was hoping some of you would give me a clear definition and perhaps an example.

I'm thought it was a term used to describe someone who loves a certain character so much they'll support them no matter what, and believe that character could do feats that defy logic.  However, yesterday I was called an X-men fanboy when I stated that I hated the 'First to Last' story arc.  I said it was possibly the stupidest X-men story arc ever.  If anything, I would think that made me an anti-fanboy, but maybe I'm not clear on the definition...

So, help me out, folks.  What is a fanboy?

#2 Posted by Suiken_Seiji (520 posts) - - Show Bio

Fanboy, it can depend on the context of your words. It can simply mean you're a fan of that character and highly knowledgeable of that character, but based on your question. You're asking for the term fanboy to be defined in the term of an insult. Which you pretty much sum it up. But to help back you up here. 

It's someone who pretty much will speak on behalf of a character they like so much that any form of defeat of the character can not be accepted, comprehended, or understood. It doesn't matter how much logic or reason you use, this will not go through. At the same time, they try to provide feats they can't provide or provide feats and take them out of context to seem much more "powerful" than what is shown. They will take the concept of the character that's written on paper and exaggerate to such a degree, that's it not even the same character. They will sum up the character or give the impression the character is "All Powerful and Godly"

#3 Posted by JediXMan (30976 posts) - - Show Bio

Being a fan just means to like or really like something.

Fanboy/fangirl means being fanatical to the point of ignorance and stupidity in favor of your favorite thing.

#4 Posted by sifsclub (474 posts) - - Show Bio
@suiken_seiji said:

Fanboy, it can depend on the context of your words. It can simply mean you're a fan of that character and highly knowledgeable of that character, but based on your question. You're asking for the term fanboy to be defined in the term of an insult. Which you pretty much sum it up. But to help back you up here. 

It's someone who pretty much will speak on behalf of a character they like so much that any form of defeat of the character can not be accepted, comprehended, or understood. It doesn't matter how much logic or reason you use, this will not go through. At the same time, they try to provide feats they can't provide or provide feats and take them out of context to seem much more "powerful" than what is shown. They will take the concept of the character that's written on paper and exaggerate to such a degree, that's it not even the same character. They will sum up the character or give the impression the character is "All Powerful and Godly"

This. Plus, you can probably find a fanboy in any one of the threads that involves a controversial character, such as hulk, dd,  TOAA(just kidding), or someone like that. Thank you for giving me the chance to see this once more, and special thanks to Charmix for reminding me having me dig this up. It's the seven stages of fanism.
#5 Posted by Osiris1428 (1349 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a fanboy. My girl calls me that. Oh, well...

#6 Posted by stuamerica (327 posts) - - Show Bio
@suiken_seiji said:

Best description I have seen put down.  I will call myself a Thor fanboy because (in spite of evidence) I believe Thor (which I pronounce t-hor not th-or) cannot be beaten by anything outside of Thanos or Galactus or some other rediculious power.  (I ardently believe he could beat Supes, but that is an argument for another area.) 
Fanboy has become a term of ridicule to such an extreme that those only 10 or so years ago that would have worn it proudly now use it as a word of scorn.  If you dislike someone's opinion on a a matter that falls in the realm of "geekdom" then you can deride them as a fanboy and disregard their opinion without any remorse. 
#7 Posted by SmoothJammin (2334 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a fanbot, but I can acknowledge when I'm in the wrong.
#8 Edited by gravitypress (2069 posts) - - Show Bio

Its like when someone gives an Apple product a bad review and the fanboys threaten to kill the reviewer. It is just fanaticism over something largely irrelevant.

#9 Posted by PowerHerc (85102 posts) - - Show Bio

@gravitypress said:

Its fanaticism over something largely irrelevant.

Well put.

#10 Posted by The Stegman (25075 posts) - - Show Bio

it's just a fanatical fan basically, some one who lets their love for a character blind them, they see no flaws in the character even when the character has one..however i will add some people toss out the term at times when they shouldn't for instance i was having a debate on Captain America vs Batman, i was on the Batman side, and just because i chose him, the other guy called me a Batman fanboy...i'm like no, i know his limits...i just know his strengths too

#11 Edited by Blob (576 posts) - - Show Bio

To me a fan boy is someone who blindly follows and almost worships a character and thinks their god. For example I am a humongous fan of Blob and say I said he could curbstomp Classic Juggernaut or someone like Galactus, Hulk, Silver Surfer, etc or anyone who is obviously or proven to be more powerful. That is a common trait of a fan boy.