Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@irishx said:

@scouterv said:

@havenless said:

@scouterv said:

Probably DC.

Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Batgirl, Power Girl, Harley Quinn, Lois Lane, Starfire, etc...I don't think Marvel has a lot of characters who could compete with those women alone.

Actually, bringing up Lois Lane is an interesting point. Jean Grey, Storm, Mystique, Gwen Stacy, Mary Jane Watson, Pepper Potts, Maria Hill, Peggy Carter, Jane Foster, Betty Ross, and Black Widow all have had roles in multiple major blockbuster movies. You can't say that about any of the DC characters you listed aside from Lois. Comics readers see it in a different light, but that really is what reaches the general audience. A lot of people have absolutely no idea who Power Girl or Starfire are. Gamora will be pretty close to a household name by the time the second movie is out as well. It's not as black and white as it used to be.

But overall, of course it's DC. Wonder Woman is number 1 and Supergirl is number 2, and that will never change.

Just because they were in movies doesn't make them famous or even memorable. Jean, Storm, Mystique, I'll give you. Pepper Potts would likely only be remembered because she has a really easy name to remember, Betty Ross hasn't been in a movie in YEARS and the ones she was in weren't even that good. I bet more people could point out Starfire before they point out Jane Foster or Gwen Stacy.

You are right. Just being in the movies doesn't make them famous or memorable. Years of history in the comics and exposure through major film success combined is what makes them famous and memorable. The Dark Phoenix story is one of the single most important and famous story lines in the history of comics. Storm has her own amusement park ride ffs. I bet Black Widow is more recognizable than Starfire just based on Scarlett J in the movies. Figured I would make a random comparison too.

They are quite known and very popular. All the X-Ladies are not being given enough credit here. No surprise though.

Personally, I don't think anyone is discounting the popularity of certain X-Men characters. Most of them alone are far more popular than most of the other Marvel characters combined. And people might know who Black Widow is, but I'd argue she's not substantially more popular than Starfire if at all. Starfire is on television constantly. Black Widow is referenced in television, but she's not a major name like most of the characters she's worked with in the movies like Captain America, Iron Man, or even Hulk. While she may be a bigger deal in the comics, that's not the case for what should be her most popular incarnation.

@hammer_of_j2 said:
@thor_parker82 said:

@scouterv: Carol Danvers, Black Widow, She Hulk, Emma Frost, Jean Grey, Kitty Pryde.

People, stop throwing around random DC names, it´s only Wonder Woman and Catwoman that are iconic.

I agree, DC has the two most iconic and famous female characters, but that´s it, stop throwing random names.

Soooo wrong. Harley Quinn is actually pretty popular right now and Lois Lane is obviously known. For the people that grew up during the early 2000's, and even kids now due to teen titans go, Raven and Starfire a well known too.

Not really, Raven and Starfire are not well known, Storm, Black Widow, Mary Jane and Invisible Woman are more well known than them.

While Harley Quinn is growing in popularity, I still wouldn´t call her famous nor iconic. I forgot Lois Lane, I´ll give you that.

How is Invisible Woman more well known than Raven or Starfire?

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@scouterv: Same question to you ?

One belongs to the most popular superhero family team, the first Marvel team, and has been in two movies.

Homer_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Homer_X

DC

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One belongs to the most popular superhero family team, the first Marvel team, and has been in two movies.

That depends on what you mean by family.

I'd wager the Batman Family is more popular than the Fantastic Four. Hell, I doubt the Fantastic Four are even the most popular team at Marvel, and those movies were...alright. Nothing spectacular though, and how long has it been since those movies came out? The first film is ten years old, the second is eight, and the reboot has been far from inspiring from what little information we do have.

Now don't get me wrong. Starfire and Raven aren't the most popular characters ever, but I'd argue the success of the Teen Titans animated series, as well as the TTG variation, combined with their placement in comics from years past and arguably present, puts them in similar, if not outright better positions than Sue Storm. Not to mention their live-action appearances in the upcoming Teen Titans series.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv: I don´t think the Batman family is more popular than the fantastic four, ask non comic book readers and they are probably going to say Batman and Catwoman, ask them about the fantastic four and most people know them, they at least know they are the guys that can stretch, disappear, the rock guy and the fire guy.

Doesn´t matter how good or bad the Teen Titans animated series was, Raven and Starfire are not well known, go ahead and ask people out there, then ask them about the fantastic four.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

DC

Avatar image for midnightdragon18
midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obviously D.C.

HAMMER_OF_J2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:

@thor_parker82 said:

I'd wager the Batman Family is more popular than the Fantastic Four. Hell, I doubt the Fantastic Four are even the most popular team at Marvel, and those movies were...alright. Nothing spectacular though, and how long has it been since those movies came out? The first film is ten years old, the second is eight, and the reboot has been far from inspiring from what little information we do have.

Now don't get me wrong. Starfire and Raven aren't the most popular characters ever, but I'd argue the success of the Teen Titans animated series, as well as the TTG variation, combined with their placement in comics from years past and arguably present, puts them in similar, if not outright better positions than Sue Storm. Not to mention their live-action appearances in the upcoming Teen Titans series.

No where near. The Fantastic Four are definitely dropping in popularity; hopefully the movie will help get it back up. I think they are in the top 3 though, under the X-men and Avengers

HAMMER_OF_J2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv: I don´t think the Batman family is more popular than the fantastic four, ask non comic book readers and they are probably going to say Batman and Catwoman, ask them about the fantastic four and most people know them, they at least know they are the guys that can stretch, disappear, the rock guy and the fire guy.

Doesn´t matter how good or bad the Teen Titans animated series was, Raven and Starfire are not well known, go ahead and ask people out there, then ask them about the fantastic four.

It depends what age group your asking. More people in their teens and maybe early twenties would probably know and like Raven and Starfire more than Sue. I do think people know the Bat family more (I'm just including Batman and Robin). than the fantastic four.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@thor_parker82: did you just say Catwoman is more famous than Lois Lane? Are you serious? You don't even need to know comics to know who Lois Lane is.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82: now you're saying the FF is more iconic than the Bat-Family? What next? Thor is more popular than Batman?

Stop being wrong.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: I suggest you to go back and read my comments.

I said I forgot Lois Lane, she is iconic as well.

I NEVER said the Fantastic Four are more iconic than the Bat-Family, I said they are more popular.

Stop misreading.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hammer_of_j2:

1- I never said they are the most popular team, I said they are the most popular family in a team.

2- Go and ask people about Raven and Starfire, then ask them about the Fantastic Four, you´ll see who is more famous.

Of course Batman and Robin are more popular than the FF, but the Bat-Family includes more than just them, so if you include all, FF are more popular. People have probably never heard the name Tim Drake, Damian Wayne etc..

I feel like we aren´t going to agree, so let´s just agree to disagree.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82:

1- you said Catwoman is more iconic than Lois Lane, that is not true.

2-youre wrong. Robin, Batgirl and Alfred are more famous than the Fantastic Four.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure more non-comic book readers will know Batman, Robin, Batgirl, Alfred, and Nightwing, at the very least. Far more probably know them, as opposed to the Fantastic Four, which isn't to knock their popularity, but alone Batman is probably more popular, well-known, and iconic than the FF.

I'd be hard-pressed to believe more people know the Teen Titans today, vs. The Fantastic Four.

@scouterv said:

@thor_parker82 said:

No where near. The Fantastic Four are definitely dropping in popularity; hopefully the movie will help get it back up. I think they are in the top 3 though, under the X-men and Avengers

You think they still beat out Guardians of the Galaxy?

HAMMER_OF_J2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hammer_of_j2:

1- I never said they are the most popular team, I said they are the most popular family in a team.

2- Go and ask people about Raven and Starfire, then ask them about the Fantastic Four, you´ll see who is more famous.

Of course Batman and Robin are more popular than the FF, but the Bat-Family includes more than just them, so if you include all, FF are more popular. People have probably never heard the name Tim Drake, Damian Wayne etc..

I feel like we aren´t going to agree, so let´s just agree to disagree.

Well if we are asking about the whole Fantastic Four then why not ask about the whole Teen Titans. I'm almost positive the teen Titans are more popular than the FF right now. If you ask about Sue herself and raven and Starfire it would make more sense.

Yeah we probably arent

HAMMER_OF_J2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By HAMMER_OF_J2

@scouterv: Surprisingly, I don't think so. That was just a team I forgot

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fair enough. In all honesty, I like The Fantastic Four. I just don't think they're all that popular these days. That doesn't diminish their importance to Marvel history, and Doctor Doom is a favorite villain of mine, but I think their overall day in the sun is done.

I mean, you already said the X-Men who have always been popular, Marvel's flagship team is The Avengers, and Guardians of the Galaxy have made a strong powerplay as of late.

Meanwhile, Marvel is talking about ending the Fantastic Four.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder woman stomps everyone. Batgirl is pretty popular too, just because she's a female batman.

Marvel does have Black Widow but she's nowhere near those two.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Whichever one has Wonder Woman is the obvious answer.

HAMMER_OF_J2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By HAMMER_OF_J2

@scouterv said:

@hammer_of_j2 said:

Fair enough. In all honesty, I like The Fantastic Four. I just don't think they're all that popular these days. That doesn't diminish their importance to Marvel history, and Doctor Doom is a favorite villain of mine, but I think their overall day in the sun is done.

I mean, you already said the X-Men who have always been popular, Marvel's flagship team is The Avengers, and Guardians of the Galaxy have made a strong powerplay as of late.

Meanwhile, Marvel is talking about ending the Fantastic Four.

TBH I'm not really much of a FF fan, but like you said their still really important. As I said earlier, hopefully the movie should bring their popularity up, whether good or bad.

Kanen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jean grey beats any DC female heroes. DC may be more famous but most of them are just cheap knock offs of their mail counter parts or sidekicks the rest are just unknown

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kanen said:

Jean grey beats any DC female heroes. DC may be more famous but most of them are just cheap knock offs of their mail counter parts or sidekicks the rest are just unknown

Don't respond to this people, it's clearly a bait comment.