#1 Edited by akbogert (3224 posts) - - Show Bio

So last night Tumblr exploded after artist Clay Mann posted a mock-up drawing of a cover announcing the (to be clear here, not really) upcoming New X-Men, featuring the team-up of Bendis (because why not) and Mann. More important to most people, however, was the team within the book: X-23, Loa, Pixie, Surge, Hellion, Rockslide, Anole, and Dust. Names familiar to people who read and loved the previous New X-Men run, and who have for the most part lamented these characters' fading away from any noteworthy role in the Marvel U (with the glaring exception of X-23, whose prominence is attributed to the likelihood of her being killed off):

Of course, someone immediately shot a message off to BMB (who, in case you don't know, answers a tremendous amount of questions on Tumblr almost every day), and he confirmed that it was purely an artistic exercise, not an actual upcoming book (and, obviously, major Avengers Arena spoiler):

That hasn't stopped the Internet from flipping out about it, though. One wonders, even though this isn't a book, if enough of a groundswell could be generated to convince Marvel to take a look at making it happen. Who knows?

All I know right now is I haven't shouted "Shut up and take my money!" this loudly for quite a while.

#2 Edited by RaggedScarecrow (861 posts) - - Show Bio
@akbogert said:

All I know right now is I haven't shouted "Shut up and take my money!" this loudly for quite a while.

Agreed. New X-Men was the very first comic I ever bought (26 was the first issue) and was responsible for getting me into comics. I was very sad to see it get cancelled. I would definately buy a new volume of New X-Men if Marvel released it.

#3 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6311 posts) - - Show Bio

That would be interesting, seeing hype over a fake series bringing it into existence.

Online
#4 Posted by akbogert (3224 posts) - - Show Bio

That would be interesting, seeing hype over a fake series bringing it into existence.

The original run (of which this would basically just be a continuation, not even a truly "new series," I'd say) seems to have been popular enough, if the difficulty of finding trades is any indication. But yeah, I don't expect anything to really happen; it'd just be really cool if it did.

#5 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6311 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert: I've heard that series have happened because of fan response before, so it seems possible. Apparently Batwoman got her ongoing because of positive fan response to her Detective Comics arcs. The adverts for it seem to suggest so:

If the fans make enough noise about this X-Men series, maybe something will happen.

Online
#6 Posted by akbogert (3224 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: Wow, that's pretty cool (also, good to know that there's another Batwoman zero issue that precedes the ongoing; I'll have to read that before I get Hydrology).

It makes sense, in a way. Someone like me, getting so worked up over Avengers Arena... perhaps trying to push people in support of something new rather than trying to tear down something ongoing is a better route. Suggesting a viable alternative use for X-23, for example, is better than just complaining about the current one.

#7 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6311 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert: It's in the Hydrology TPB, if that's what you plan on getting. It's considered part of the series, despite coming out before the New 52 happened.

Exactly, cancelling a series gets them less money, but starting a new one would bring more in, especially if it's one that fans have said that they want, and with 'X-Men' in the title, it's a name that people recognise and collect. If people get serious about how much they want this, it seems possible that Marvel might see some potential in it.

Online
#8 Posted by akbogert (3224 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: Oh, well even better (that is what I plan on getting).

It's a bit of a shame. People have a greater propensity to be vocal about things they dislike than things they like. Thinking back on the many anti-Marvel things I've written in the last few months, I'm reminded of, of all things, Fall Out Boy lyrics, "I want these words to make things right, but it's the wrongs that make the words come to life."

*shrug*

Meanwhile I just hope that anyone who sees this and thinks it'd be a good thing posts about it everywhere, rallies other people, etc. Perhaps it's one of those things people didn't know they wanted, but do.

#9 Posted by fables87 (1009 posts) - - Show Bio

The fact it was on Tumblr would explain why people thought it was real. Would be cool too see. They need to do more with Dust.

#10 Posted by Aiden Cross (15569 posts) - - Show Bio

That would've been awesome! But who knows, maybe now Marvel has seen the uproar they might figure it's a good idea to try something like this ;)

#11 Posted by akbogert (3224 posts) - - Show Bio

@aiden_cross: I'd like to see there be an uproar, haha.

It's almost a shame someone got it confirmed as unreal so quickly; it might have blown up a lot more dramatically had it not been dismissed almost immediately. Can still generate buzz, but not nearly as much as a "is this real, we hope so" kind of story.

#12 Edited by Aiden Cross (15569 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert: Damn those people that verify things ;p

#13 Posted by akbogert (3224 posts) - - Show Bio

@aiden_cross: Haha. Well, The Outhouse broke the rumor before it had been confirmed purely a rumor (I know this not because I read them, but because when I googled to verify their story was at the top). I imagine Bleeding Cool would do likewise, had they had time.

And for people who don't follow Bendis, it's likely there are still plenty of folks who are currently still hopeful that this is real.

#14 Posted by Aiden Cross (15569 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert: hmmm.. come to think of it, you're partially to blame now as well. By creating this topic ;p

#15 Posted by akbogert (3224 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Edited by Aiden Cross (15569 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Edited by akbogert (3224 posts) - - Show Bio

@aiden_cross: Haha. Well, possibly. On the other hand, I think my message of "let's talk about how great this would be" is at least as strong as (I'd say stronger than) my "too bad this isn't real" message. And possibly there are folks who wouldn't have heard anything about it at all were it not for me, so at least there's a chance for them to talk about it now :P

#18 Posted by Aiden Cross (15569 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Edited by oldnightcrawler (4616 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert said:

It makes sense, in a way. Someone like me, getting so worked up over Avengers Arena... perhaps trying to push people in support of something new rather than trying to tear down something ongoing is a better route. Suggesting a viable alternative use for X-23, for example, is better than just complaining about the current one.

words to live by.

#20 Posted by fesak (7056 posts) - - Show Bio

Would buy. Even if Bendis was writing

Moderator
#21 Posted by HAWK2916 (1824 posts) - - Show Bio

This is something that needs to happen IMO. This could bring a fresh vibe to the Xmen. I would almost want this to happen in another universe or timeline, though im not a fan of all the space time continuim stuff. Maybe this can just be in the future. There could be fresh story arcs and villians. I think for this team I'd want: Surge, Hellion, X-23, Dust, Mercury, Trance, Indra. I dont know for sure but maybe I'd have Emma Frost in the role that Charles Xavier played with the original xmen as an advisor/mentor trying to correct the mistakes of the past. Or maybe a whole different of mentor like Amelia Voght or Cable or Polaris or Dani Moonstar

Some of the stories/backstories would include:

Elixir being a god-like figure because of his healing capabilities. Maybe coming into contact with Apocalypse and being able to spread death on a massive scale also. He uses this to create his own nation state full of both humns and mutants who follow/worship him completely and other nations are held hostage by the promise of "health-care" for their ill or death for non-cooperation. I think he would be like Magneto in being sometimes an ally and sometimes a nemisis.

Prodigy would be a member of SHEILD and still a love interest of Surge, Hellion's brother James would be a super rich anti-mutant leader, Sofia Mantega formerly Wind Dancer would have some sort of role linked to Hellion in some way maybe as a mutsnt advocate or as Hellion's girl or something. The New Weapon X or Z or whatever would be still targeting X-23. The X-predators would be ever evolving.

#22 Posted by HAWK2916 (1824 posts) - - Show Bio

And by the way I would want Peter David, Joss Whedon or Rick Remender to write this. With Acuna doing the art or Clay Mann

#23 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

A new x-men Series? HELL YES! with bendis on it? NOOOOOOOOO!

#24 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

maybe this is their plan. test out a fake cover to see how people react

lie about it and say it's fake and wait to see if people demand it for real; if they do

CA$H BIATXES!!!!

#25 Posted by DarkDay (634 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd buy it.

#26 Posted by akbogert (3224 posts) - - Show Bio

@jorgevy: I don't know. Bendis is outrageously candid on Tumblr. If he says he hasn't talked to Clay before, I think he's telling the truth. And given how important he is in Marvel, I think he'd have known something about the book if they were thinking of having him on it.

#27 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert said:

@jorgevy: I don't know. Bendis is outrageously candid on Tumblr. If he says he hasn't talked to Clay before, I think he's telling the truth. And given how important he is in Marvel, I think he'd have known something about the book if they were thinking of having him on it.

Bendis should stay away from x-23, we need Yost on this title.

#28 Posted by akbogert (3224 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: Considering he did work on the previous New X-Men, there's obviously precedent.

And obviously I'm for Yost writing his own character :P

This brings up a fair question. X-23 may already be dead -- that death may already have been approved by now. Marvel would have to do a lot to change whatever Hopeless has planned/written if they wanted to keep her alive for a book like this. But if they thought they could just as easily sell this book without Laura, then no worries for them.

So are there any people whose interest in this team would be significantly diminished by removing X-23 from the cast?

#29 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert said:

@theacidskull: Considering he did work on the previous New X-Men, there's obviously precedent.

And obviously I'm for Yost writing his own character :P

This brings up a fair question. X-23 may already be dead -- that death may already have been approved by now. Marvel would have to do a lot to change whatever Hopeless has planned/written if they wanted to keep her alive for a book like this. But if they thought they could just as easily sell this book without Laura, then no worries for them.

So are there any people whose interest in this team would be significantly diminished by removing X-23 from the cast?

probably not, they won't remove x-23 because she is a fan favorite, so getting rid of her would mean a lot of people stop reading :P

#30 Posted by akbogert (3224 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: Oh, I think I confused myself. Or maybe you did.

I meant, could they sell a new New X-Men book without Laura in it? Would the other characters be enough of a draw, or is the reason so many people were excited about this fake cover the idea of seeing Laura outside of Arena?

#31 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert said:

@theacidskull: Oh, I think I confused myself. Or maybe you did.

I meant, could they sell a new New X-Men book without Laura in it? Would the other characters be enough of a draw, or is the reason so many people were excited about this fake cover the idea of seeing Laura outside of Arena?

I don't think i know exactly, but that then again DOES depend on the creative team, though having laura along for the ride would make ratings go higher.

#32 Posted by akbogert (3224 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: That's true. But it would also probably kill Avengers Arena.

On the other hand, if they planned to kill Laura, then Avengers Arena will probably die anyway after that (judging by the number of people who say they're only reading to see her through). So if Arena were going to die either way, it wouldn't matter.

On the other other hand, if they thought that killing her would kill the series, they probably wouldn't kill her, because they plan to keep going with another season. So either they don't plan to kill her, or they don't believe her death would detrimentally affect sales enough to matter.

(for the sake of staying somewhat on-topic, I'll say that I would still happily buy this book without her in it, but having her in it would ensure I refused to drop it, no matter who was on the book)

#33 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert said:

@theacidskull: That's true. But it would also probably kill Avengers Arena.

On the other hand, if they planned to kill Laura, then Avengers Arena will probably die anyway after that (judging by the number of people who say they're only reading to see her through). So if Arena were going to die either way, it wouldn't matter.

On the other other hand, if they thought that killing her would kill the series, they probably wouldn't kill her, because they plan to keep going with another season. So either they don't plan to kill her, or they don't believe her death would detrimentally affect sales enough to matter.

(for the sake of staying somewhat on-topic, I'll say that I would still happily buy this book without her in it, but having her in it would ensure I refused to drop it, no matter who was on the book)

I'd definitely agree on that one, I'd buy the book even if she is not in it, but having her in it is like marvel giving me cake with a cherry on top :P

#34 Posted by Fallen_Crippled (6456 posts) - - Show Bio

I would buy it! Not a fan of Bendis, though.

#35 Posted by Veitha (3341 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd love to see this... Bendis is better at writing young characters than old ones

Online