Exactly how strong is Captain Atom?

Darkusdude327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Darkusdude327

Okay, from what I've seen of Captain Atom, he seems like just a really strong dude with radiation powers. But everyone keeps telling me that he's just a nerfed Doctor Manhattan. Maybe the cannon's diffrent, but I saw Wonder Woman basically kill him in Injustice Year One, so what gives? Are we talking like, Franklin Richards here? Or is he like another Superman-esq guy? Can he actually warp reality?

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

there are actually different versions of captain atom........they are not all the same

Pre-52 cap has superman-level stats and is usually portrayed as being on the same level as top tier GLs putting him on high herald power tier though this is him when he holds back. His real power is whole lot of more powerful due to his ties to another dimension known as the quantum field where he created his own universe inside it along with its own earth, JLA and even its own spectre before destroying that universe. basically he is God in the quantum field

New-52 cap has taken the Dr Manhattan route but with stronger displays of power. He is portrayed so powerful writers don't know what to do with him at the moment which he why he hasn't appeared in comics for many months. It's hard to find a proper story or a credible threat to him when Future's End revealed the JLA lost to him badly and even then he is still holding back. This version of Cap can warp reality e.g. grant powers to lesser beings, grant wishes to individuals, bring the dead back to life, creates clones and duplicates, see through and manipulate time, exist anywhere. He still has a lot of potential to display but the storyline would need to be a huge event if he is to be included and the opponent needs to be a decent threat like darkseid or higher etc not someone like major force who hasn't even appeared in new 52 and would be a laughing stock to be a villain for this version of Cap.

I believe injustice takes place in an alternate universe

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

....not someone like major force who hasn't even appeared in new 52 and would be a laughing stock to be a villain for this version of Cap.

He has appeared in New 52)

No Caption Provided
Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Static Shock  Online

Depends on which version.

Post-Crisis Captain Atom is supposed to be at or around the same strength level as Superman. His handbook entries states that he should be as powerful as Earth's heavy hitters

• He knocked around Mr. Majestic in battle, actually defeating him once (Captain Atom: Armageddon #1). It can be argued that Majestic was holding back a little, but it's still no small feat (though his dialogue would suggest otherwise to others). Majestic casually tows planets on his own, and states that he could "shatter worlds" with his fists.
  • He knocked around Major Force, defeating him in their second fight (Captain Atom Annual #1). Major Force is well above Class 100 and has fought Superman by himself once, knocking him across several states with one punch (Superman v2 #185) and physically dominating him for while in the same book. On another occasion, Major Force physically overpowered Superman (who wasn't holding back), Wonder Woman, and Resurrection Man all on his own (Resurrection Man #21). He also fought Lashina (also Class 100+, since she's a New God) evenly for a while until she eventually put him down (he was distracted also). I can't remember the issue for that, but I believe it was in either Checkmate or Suicide Squad, during the Janus Directive crossover. He also had numerous physical battles with Vuldarian Guy Gardner, who possessed a significant amount of superhuman strength along with shapeshifting powers.
  • He physically dominated Ultraa, until he threw the fight on purpose for Maxima (Justice League Quarterly #13). Post-Crisis Ultraa doesn't possess many strength feats, but the Pre-Crisis version was created to have strength comparable to Superman. Whether or not this carried over to the Post-Crisis version is unknown. However, Post-Crisis Ultraa is of Almeracian origin like Maxima, who physically dominated Doomsday by herself for a while. He should be approaching her strength level, based on that.
  • Elongated Man stated that Captain Atom is "strong enough to move mountains around (Justice League Europe #10)" This was during a training session in Justice League Europe, in which Power Girl's superhuman physical abilities were temporarily cut in half. Captain Atom was gauging her power level at the time, while Rocket Red and Elongated Man watched them and the monitors that gauged their power levels.
  • He fought Wonder Woman evenly off panel, and played tug-of-war with her Lasso of Truth.The fight was mostly off panel, but they were dishing out blows that shook the entire building. I forget what issue it was (either in Justice League America or Justice League Task Force), but it was during the Overmaster fiasko.

I wish Captain Atom had more quantifiable strength feats though. But, this is all we've got to go by.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Static Shock  Online

Maybe, the cannon's diffrant, but I saw Wonder Woman basically kill him in Injustice Year One, so what gives?

Well, prior to Wonder Woman cutting open his skin, Captain Atom was beating Superman to a pulp. It is a different continuity, though.

Are we talking like, Franklin Richards here? Or is he like another Superman-esq guy? Can he actually warp reality?

To be fair, the New 52 version of Captain Atom is probably the most powerful character in DC right now. He is capable of a lot of different things; I believe someone already listed some of them. J.T. Krul created this version, and stated that he had the power to destroy everything, and that his power could create the multiverse, also. Although I believe him, it's important to note that New 52 Captain Atom hasn't exactly displayed the ability to do either of those things yet. So, it's best to take it with a grain of salt until then. There's also this.

Using his powers to bend space and time on a quantum level, manipulating the Flash's speed force, paralyzing him.
Using his powers to bend space and time on a quantum level, manipulating the Flash's speed force, paralyzing him.

And, this.

Powerful enough to destroy planets, even though it requires sacrificing himself.
Powerful enough to destroy planets, even though it requires sacrificing himself.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By EyeDCyou

Hella

Tezkatlipoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So pre-new 52 cap atom can't create or destroy universes outside of the quantum field? I thought Monarch was basically him not holding back after all these years.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Static Shock  Online

@tezkatlipoca said:

So pre-new 52 cap atom can't create or destroy universes outside of the quantum field? I thought Monarch was basically him not holding back after all these years.

He didn't hold back as Monarch, but he didn't create a universe outside of the Quantum Field or anything related as Monarch, either. His power destroyed one, mainly because of the other 50-something Captain Atoms he absorbed as a means of increasing his power. That same energy was released when his suit was ripped open, causing the destruction of that universe and his apparent "death".

One of the alternate-reality Green Lanterns (I believe it was Power Ring), blasted his helmet open at point-blank range in Countdown Arena, issues prior to increasing his power by absorbing other Captain Atoms. The resulting explosion didn't even destroy his spaceship, but it killed anyone that was in the vicinity of it.

Monarch also stated that he could destroy entire worlds/planets in that same book. This was also before the power-up later on.

No Caption Provided

Sunny732670s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so....my question is there any other versions for caption atom