Posted by G-Man (34236 posts) - - Show Bio

As you may know, Comic Vine and all the Whiskey Media sites are having a Big Live Live Show (live) tomorrow. Yes, it's going to be live. We will deliver an epic 8-hour live show beginning at 10 a.m. PDT. Why are we doing this? Partly because we want to share a part of our lives with you. We will also unveil the details of our subscriber/paid accounts.  

On the topic of a paid account, you may be asking, "Why should I pay?" We will be offering some ultra-cool benefits such as an awesome T-shirt, access to mobile versions of our sites, HD videos, downloadable videos as well as some other super-secret stuff. You'll have to tune in tomorrow to get all the details.

"What's this talk about a Whiskey Multi-Pass?" Many of you have asked for it, the Multi-Pass will be a way for you to link up all of your accounts on Whiskey Media sites. That means you can tie together your Comic Vine, Giant Bomb, Tested, Screened and Anime Vice accounts. Your wiki points and profiles will all be connected. That means if you have loads of wiki points on one site, you'll have the same level of access on the other sites. Converting your accounts is easy and it's free. It should only take you a few minutes. If you plan on subscribing, you'll need a Multi-Pass if you want to support us by subscribing.

Do you still have questions about linking your accounts? You can check out the handy-dandy video created by Captain Cascader (AKA Snide) below. 

== TEASER ==  

If that wasn't enough, mobile versions of all sites that work in any HTML5 compliant browser will be available along with downloadable versions of all our videos. If that still isn't enough of a reason, check out this video:

Staff
#1 Edited by DXmagma (91 posts) - - Show Bio

i'm actually looking forward to the multi pass. doing the same 3 first quests is a pain.

#2 Posted by ViciousCesar! (2310 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man: i'll get a paid membership if you mail me a comic vine sticker. deal? 

i'm serious, btw.
#3 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

aww, ill be in school.... and i dont have the classes where i can just bring a laptop and pretend to take notes succkkksss lol

#4 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

but I'm not a cute girl :(

#5 Posted by foxglove (77 posts) - - Show Bio

That second video makes me sad.
Like you only want to be my friend if I pay you. :'(

#6 Posted by Rot (309 posts) - - Show Bio

I like how the Anime Vice  seats are in the back getting vomited on. Lol.

#7 Posted by Hamz (342 posts) - - Show Bio

Very interesting, looking forward to it all!

#8 Posted by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio

looking forward to multipass and wow...nice videos guys! who ever designs these should give themself a pat on the back!

#9 Posted by Ry Fryy (370 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm really interested in how much the subscription will be.  I don't have mobile access with my phone or any need for another shirt (as sweet as that design is though) so I'm not willing to pay much.  I'm not saying HD videos should be free aaaaaanyway.. so basically I'm banking on the super-secret stuff.  :P

#10 Posted by iloverobots (455 posts) - - Show Bio

Multi-pass is FTW

#11 Posted by They Killed Cap! (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

...I dont really go to the other sites but if the bonuses are enough and its not rediculous amount I could see doing it...if Im a member can I hang out with Gman and Babs
#12 Posted by Meteorite (3351 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn, now I have a tough choice to make...

#13 Posted by MichaelBach (65 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome guys. I would actually pay for access to the whiskey sites as is.

#14 Posted by EisforExtinction (1909 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost said:
" but I'm not a cute girl :( "
But you could be... and great a free damn shirt.
#15 Posted by danhimself (22548 posts) - - Show Bio

is the super secret stuff a hot orange haired girl???

#16 Posted by KamikazeCaterpillar (32 posts) - - Show Bio

I have no reason not to suscribe. Between the GB, CV, Tested, and Screened it is very rare for me to not be on a Whiskey powered site. Props on the amazing shirt by the way.

#17 Posted by EisforExtinction (1909 posts) - - Show Bio

I like how Babs stole the dude's computer. Ice cold.

#18 Posted by batmanboy11 (198 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually sounds pretty cool. I'll have to look into the paid account when I have some cash to spare.

#19 Posted by Icon (2077 posts) - - Show Bio
@Rot said:
" I like how the Anime Vice  seats are in the back getting vomited on. Lol. "
lmao I noticed that as well. 
#20 Posted by Strafe Prower (11887 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm, sounds like a good idea.

#21 Edited by Icon (2077 posts) - - Show Bio
@EisforExtinction said:

" I like how Babs stole the dude's computer. Ice cold. "

Lesson to be learned: Pay Whiskey Media or they'll send Babs to steal your pc. =O
#22 Posted by Bummey (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Aww man, wait... You mean I won't be able to touch Brad's face? Just HD video? :(

#23 Posted by RandomAtom (48 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish I could register now!

#24 Posted by k4tzm4n (44235 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sorry, but I honestly have no reason to pay for use of this forum.  I come here for the debates and interactions with some of the Viners I've come to respect.  The extras with the paid membership really aren't that desirable to me.  I'd imagine it would take some very good exclusives to get most people to sign up.  Not trying to be mean, just figured I'd share my thoughts.
Staff
#25 Posted by MrMazz (1236 posts) - - Show Bio

Ill pay for it you all deserve the funds and i love all of your work but seriously SELL COMICVINE T SHIRTS I WANT ONE!!! 

#26 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@xhavoc86 said:
" aww, ill be in school.... and i dont have the classes where i can just bring a laptop and pretend to take notes succkkksss lol "
You'll be able to watch the archived footage and that's AWESOME :D
#27 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@MrMazz said:
" Ill pay for it you all deserve the funds and i love all of your work but seriously SELL COMICVINE T SHIRTS I WANT ONE!!!  "
<3
#28 Posted by The Sadhu (853 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm broke! No friends for me!
#29 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@EisforExtinction said:
" I like how Babs stole the dude's computer. Ice cold. "
I'm a boss.
#30 Posted by Crono11 (54 posts) - - Show Bio

So if I don't pay then I can expect to be spit on by the Whiskey Media people if I ever meet them.....

#31 Posted by jakob187 (998 posts) - - Show Bio

Said it on Giant Bomb, and I'll say it here:  that second video, while I understand the parody of it as well as the humor meant to be shown in it, is incredibly backhanded.  It would make me, as a non-paid member, feel like I'm worthless to the Whiskey Media family for anything more than filling out their wikis and literally building all that information on their sites.  Incredibly poor "humor". 

With that said, I'm curious if the same thing will be happening to the Comic Vine podcast that is happening to the Bombcast.  Right now, there is a thread on Giant Bomb about 35 pages long or so of how people are not only astonished by the fact that the Bombcast is going to be split in half and then distributed during two different weeks to non-paid members, but the fact that Snide specifically said that all the things that already exist on the sites would not change...and we feel like we were lied to. 

Sooo...is the Comic Vine podcast also being split in half, with the first half being distributed the week it is supposed to come out, then the second half coming out the next week - at least, if you are a non-paying member?

#32 Edited by Dane (10596 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's really poor to ask people to pay for something that they already get and have been getting for a long time for free. The linked accounts thing looks really neat, there are two fundamental things that make it worthless for me though:

1) I don't have accounts on other Whiskey Media websites.
2) Logging in to them isn't very difficult as it is. Since it remembers my login already, it happening without me doing literally anything is about as automated as things get.

HD Video is nice. When I'm watching Dark Knight on blueray. Given the bandwidth and geographical distance of my computer from your servers it isn't really feasible most of the time for me to stream live HD from the US to Australia. So the video content you provide is already as good as it's going to get for me.

I'm confused as to what you mean by removing ads, I've never seen any. Unless you count the links to Tested and AnimeVice at the bottom of the page. Since those are also Whiskey Media websites I can't imagine they generate any revenue for you. If there are advertisements embedded in the page it's quite phenomenal that I come here literally every day and haven't noticed a single advertisement. Unless they're subliminal, in which case your ads promoting the diabolic combination of fruit yogurt and black coffee I consume every morning (with no sane reason to do so) are scary-effective.

Don't get me wrong though, I love this site. I come here every day and legitimately enjoy myself. I understand there is a cost associated with running this website and it's almost certainly high enough to warrant some kind of savvy business model to generate revenue and make it commercially viable. That's great, I love commercially viable things. In fact I'd say almost 7% of my professional career has been associated with commercially viable projects. Moreover, I'm prepared to give you money, possibly even my own. I just would like something I don't usually get for free in exchange for it.

Additionally, a lot of the content of the this website is made by the users themselves. The news and video reviews are great but the forums and wiki database are made almost entirely by users in their free time. I know that isn't the kind of contribution that has a dollar sign but this probably will make people who donate their time and resources to community feel like they're worth less to you than someone who just signs up for a cool tshirt. I know you guys are probably quite dedicated to making this come off as unintrusive as possible but when you're figuring out which parts of this website can generate profit margins, don't forget where those parts came from and who put the time into making them. I think this is, on the whole, a good idea, but it'd be a much better one if you had some interesting and exclusive services to offer.

#33 Posted by Lance Uppercut (23245 posts) - - Show Bio

Can I just pay twenty dollars for the t-shirt?

#34 Posted by Vance Astro (91234 posts) - - Show Bio
@Crono11 said:
" So if I don't pay then I can expect to be spit on by the Whiskey Media people if I ever meet them..... "
Of course not...
#35 Posted by Crono11 (54 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" @Crono11 said:
" So if I don't pay then I can expect to be spit on by the Whiskey Media people if I ever meet them..... "
Of course not... "
From that video it sure seems like if you don't pay then they don't give a crap about you.
#36 Edited by jakob187 (998 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dane: I absolutely don't agree.  One thing that the Whiskey Media sites have over all the other sites out there is that they do not have advertising bogging down every inch of their pages, all of their stuff is easy to find, and their pages are all one big concise area.  You don't have to go through 500 clicks to get anything.  They also feature high-quality video content, which many sites have none of, and the membership is merely an enhancement for those who want to support the people who are making these sites happen... 

...until we get to the part about the podcasts.  If those are seriously being split into halves, then distributed to free users over the course of two separate weeks, then that goes against what was said by Snide and other staff members about how current things on the sites would not be affected by the memberships in any way other than enhancing them (like 720p videos, downloading videos, etc).  The idea that the podcasts would change goes against that mentality, and it's a matter of principle. 

I would love to give Whiskey Media my money, but if there isn't a level of true equality with the podcasts for all users (non-paid and paid)...and also, hopefully that second video disappears as it's incredibly demeaning and looks down upon those who don't pay for the subscription...then I'm just flabbergasted. 

With all that said - Snide, give me the option to send you a money order directly and I'll buy two years!
#37 Posted by Neverpraying (1465 posts) - - Show Bio

All I have to say about this is Hmm.

#38 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

We love you guys regardless, it was not meant as a slight against our respective communities. Bottom line though is that we want to keep doing what we are doing, but we've got to eat, know what I'm saying?

#39 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio

um, not gonna pay, love you guys, but still. 

#40 Posted by Dane (10596 posts) - - Show Bio
@jakob187: 
I'm honestly not sure if that's supposed to be directed at me.

I never said their ads were intrusive, I said I didn't notice any, that's the opposite.

I never said I had any problems with the usability of this site. Infact, I consider it a pinnacle of Web 2.0 convention in the realm of comicbook media.

I never even mentioned podcasts and I have never heard of them splitting those broadcasts.
#41 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dane:  There are incentives. Maybe after you hear what we're offering you'll change your mind. 
#42 Posted by rentfn (31 posts) - - Show Bio

So your saying if I sign up I get to touch Babs???? I keed. Sign me up, I've loved these sites for years I'm more then willing to help them out.

#43 Posted by RedHurricane24 (235 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
" We love you guys regardless, it was not meant as a slight against our respective communities. Bottom line though is that we want to keep doing what we are doing, but we've got to eat, know what I'm saying? "
That is understandable, and more than enough to convince me of joining up for a yearly membership. 

Oh, and that was cold-blooded, Babs, how you mugged that dude's laptop XD. *holds his laptop for dear life*
#44 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedHurricane24 said:
" @Babs said:
" We love you guys regardless, it was not meant as a slight against our respective communities. Bottom line though is that we want to keep doing what we are doing, but we've got to eat, know what I'm saying? "
That is understandable, and more than enough to convince me of joining up for a yearly membership.   Oh, and that was cold-blooded, Babs, how you mugged that dude's laptop XD. *holds his laptop for dear life* "
Hahaha 

Oh yeah, I'm outside your house right now stealin' your stuffs
#45 Posted by RedHurricane24 (235 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
" @RedHurricane24 said:
" @Babs said:
That is understandable, and more than enough to convince me of joining up for a yearly membership.   Oh, and that was cold-blooded, Babs, how you mugged that dude's laptop XD. *holds his laptop for dear life* "
Hahaha   Oh yeah, I'm outside your house right now stealin' your stuffs "
#46 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1378 posts) - - Show Bio

We'll learn exactly what you're offering tomorrow right? On the Big Live Live Show: Live (That is unbelievably weird to say)? 

And plus, Giantbomb is flipping out right now, LMAO!
#47 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1378 posts) - - Show Bio
@jakob187:
Smart of you to debate this over here. Giantbombers are flipping out right now. lol
#48 Posted by Dane (10596 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
" @Dane:  There are incentives. Maybe after you hear what we're offering you'll change your mind.  "
Maybe so. It's like I said, Comic Vine is great how it is. If you guys can make it even better (for a nominal fee) I'd be happy to pay. 

But if those incentives don't appeal to me I just don't want the existing (great) Comic Vine experience I enjoy to be somehow dampened.
#49 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1378 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs: Why exactly is it 50 dollars? I can see why the shirt being there would make it an extra 10 dollars but to people like me where the only thing that really interest me is the mobile web, which I have been asking why it never worked for a year now. (Probably did get an answer I just don't remember it)
#50 Posted by Nightshade50 (75 posts) - - Show Bio

That second video was not the way unpaying members would like to see themselves, this could split the community down the middle............ If you want to keep your members, then don't take away the free stuff we have now.  

"Dont fix something if it isn't broken"